Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 oil consumption?

Hi, I posted a previous question but I would like to say that I'm new to LS1 TECH. I have found many answers to some questions I've had for a while. So thanks to everyone... My question today is I have notice a little bit of oil consumption in my 02' T/A RAM AIR. The strange thing is that it only has about 8,900 miles. I drive it about three times a week for about 8-12 miles each time. I've read in the manual that it only should have 5.5 quarts so that is exactly how much I put in the engine. I don't know if it's just me that is removing the oil bit by bit by checking dip stick Is it normal for an LS1 to consume a little bit of oil? I've even checked my engine all over I don't see any oil leaks and my car doesen't smoke at all either. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

My '00 has used about 1/2 quart of oil every 500 to 1000 miles since day one, depending on how hard I drive it. My old '99 Z28 was the same way.

No oil fouled plugs, no oil leaks, no smoking out the exhaust, etc. Only thing is that most of it is going through the PCV system into the intake. Most LS1s do this, if you pull your air bellows off the TB and open the TB blade, run your fingers along the back side of the TB blade and see if you get an oily residue on them. Mine has that, even after doing a verticle PCV and a catch can, it still sucks some of it through into the intake. Some people throw a fuel filter inline on the PCV system to help stop this as well......
Old 03-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
My '00 has used about 1/2 quart of oil every 500 to 1000 miles since day one, depending on how hard I drive it. My old '99 Z28 was the same way.

No oil fouled plugs, no oil leaks, no smoking out the exhaust, etc. Only thing is that most of it is going through the PCV system into the intake. Most LS1s do this, if you pull your air bellows off the TB and open the TB blade, run your fingers along the back side of the TB blade and see if you get an oily residue on them. Mine has that, even after doing a verticle PCV and a catch can, it still sucks some of it through into the intake. Some people throw a fuel filter inline on the PCV system to help stop this as well......
Thanks for the info. Eventhough I don't drive the car much, I guess when I do, I do drive a little hard. I'll check the PCV system. Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by martransam
Hi, I posted a previous question but I would like to say that I'm new to LS1 TECH. I have found many answers to some questions I've had for a while. So thanks to everyone... My question today is I have notice a little bit of oil consumption in my 02' T/A RAM AIR. The strange thing is that it only has about 8,900 miles. I drive it about three times a week for about 8-12 miles each time. I've read in the manual that it only should have 5.5 quarts so that is exactly how much I put in the engine. I don't know if it's just me that is removing the oil bit by bit by checking dip stick Is it normal for an LS1 to consume a little bit of oil? I've even checked my engine all over I don't see any oil leaks and my car doesen't smoke at all either. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
I have had no problems with my LS1 at all with oil consumption. I would suggest looking at the following link to determine if it could be regarding you as well.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/147593-gm-lawsuit-pistonslap.html

Old 03-13-2004, 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ActionJack
I have had no problems with my LS1 at all with oil consumption. I would suggest looking at the following link to determine if it could be regarding you as well.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147593

I don't have a piston slap issue and I still use some oil, as do many.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The main reason you have oil comnsumption is because you are running synthetic oil. Synthetic oil blows by much easier than non synthetic, you dont have anything to worry about unless you have major blowby.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had some from that damn PCV system.....Now it is gone I just run breathers no more oil consumption!!!!
Old 03-13-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same problem here, use about 1 1/2 quarts every 3000 miles, the dealer says that its normal, but I don't believe that sh#$ but I can't figure it out either, no other problems, and car runs great.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BBADWS6
The main reason you have oil comnsumption is because you are running synthetic oil. Synthetic oil blows by much easier than non synthetic, you dont have anything to worry about unless you have major blowby.

That is crap. I drive hard and about 16k to 20k a year with mobil one full synthentic and I have never been low and I have never had piston slap.
I also have no catch can nor have I done anything to the pcv.

If it was me I would check with the dealership (or 2) and if it was only oil consumption I would leave it at that so long as it is not more than 1/2 qt in 3000 miles. Like I said, no oil loss, no piston slap, and I drive VERY Aggressive. I am only concerned about my Tranny....

Old 03-13-2004, 06:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ActionJack
That is crap. I drive hard and about 16k to 20k a year with mobil one full synthentic and I have never been low and I have never had piston slap.
I also have no catch can nor have I done anything to the pcv.

If it was me I would check with the dealership (or 2) and if it was only oil consumption I would leave it at that so long as it is not more than 1/2 qt in 3000 miles. Like I said, no oil loss, no piston slap, and I drive VERY Aggressive. I am only concerned about my Tranny....

I use as much as 1/2 quart in 500-1000 miles. I drive the car very hard, I have no piston slap, no fouling of oil on the plugs, no gas in the oil, no coolant or oil mixing, no oil leaks, and no smoke puffing out the exhaust.

I do however, have a lot of oil in my intake and PCV lines, even with a catch can and verticle PCV valve. Not a damn thing that any dealer will/would do about that. They normally won't even address the issue if it's less than 1 quart in 1000 miles. Lots of people have been through it.

On the up side, there are plenty of people with 100K miles that have lost oil since day one. I am not concerned about my motor, I'm sure it's fine; sounds fine, pulls fine.....
Old 03-13-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Hey. That is Cool. Your ride sucks oil. It should make it to 100k. I am not disin ya. Just that I would not think it OK to have that kind of oil disappearance. But since I do not have any oil loss then this is not even an issue (for me). Best to ya....
Old 03-13-2004, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IntenseSS
I had some from that damn PCV system.....Now it is gone I just run breathers no more oil consumption!!!!
Thats something I wouldnt mind doing does anyone have a link for this mod and please no smart *** remarks this is an honest question
Old 03-14-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

What i dont get is, people think its normal, its total BS. Noone makes a car with normal oil consumption, and if it wasnt, Every SINGLE ls1 engine would consume oil. So obviously if some do and some dont, theres a problem. I think its the ring design if its major consumption. Cause unless every PCV system on each ls1 was different, how can some suck more oil than others and some dont suck at all!
Old 03-14-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if you look into this lots of other carmakers have oil usage ands they claim its acceptable.it must be a problem with all car brands then.

some oil consumption is normal.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

im talking normal consumption. Maybe a half of quart per 3k, not what we are seeing though. I like fbods just as much as you, but thats the truth. the cars do drink oil way more than any cars that other people have produced
Old 03-14-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well today I did an oil change I put in 6qts and only got 4 1/2 out ..... PCV
Old 03-14-2004, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

I have an 00 WS6 and it uses 1/2 a quart every 3K and depending on if I drive it very agressive up to a quart every 3K.I'm not leaking anywhere and don't have smoke coming out of the exhaust. I asked one of my friends about it who use to build motors and done some drag racing and he said it's good thing to have a motor use a little oil. He'd take a motor that used a little oil over one that didn't use any at all anyday.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:28 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure anywhere from a quart - two quarts every 3k miles is a decent average for the LS1 engines, depending on how hard they are driven. When I first got my car it was going through about 1/2-1 quart between oil changes, when I put in the ported LS6 oil pump it went up to around 1 1/2 - 2 quarts on average.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
I'm pretty sure anywhere from a quart - two quarts every 3k miles is a decent average for the LS1 engines, depending on how hard they are driven. When I first got my car it was going through about 1/2-1 quart between oil changes, when I put in the ported LS6 oil pump it went up to around 1 1/2 - 2 quarts on average.
Yep, mine went up after I put an ARE pump in a couple years ago as well. I get higher oil pressure than I did with the stock pump. My stock pump seemed rather weak. Also going to syn oil did increase it some as well.

For those of you with stock motors and warranties left, sure by all means go to your dealer and complain if it bothers you. You have that right obviously.

But for those of us without warranties and/or modded motors, so long as your not getting oil fouled plugs or a smoke show everywhere you drive the car, then it's either live with it or tear the motor down.

Personally, I'll live with it. I have no warranty, and I have lots of mods plus I spin the motor higher than stock and always have higher revs than stock with the 3500 stall. I drive the car hard because that's what I bought it for, and it runs great. Strong/tight bottom end (great oil pressure), no KR, no misfires, pulls like crazy. Why would I tear down an otherwise perfectly good running engine (at my expense) just because it uses some oil? If the motor blows up then I'll worry about getting better rings.

Moral of the story:

If you're stock and have a warranty, complain till your dealer does something, but beware sometimes they use MORE oil after the dealer 'fixes' it.

If you're modded/have no warranty, live with it and drive the car how you like, cause you'll probably get 100K+ miles out of it anyway. And if the time comes where the motor does go, just build it right and don't look back.

PS. My '96 Bonneville (L36 3.8L V6) uses about 1/2 quart per 1000 miles also. It has a slight oil leak, but not enough to use that much oil. I don't think I've ever had a car that didn't use some oil.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car will use 1/2 qt oil the first 1000 miles after the oil change. So one time I just did not add any oil and watched it. It never lost any more oil. for some reason my motor just likes it 1/2 qt low, so that is where I let it sit at until the next oil change, when it will be full again, and drop to 1/2 qt low within 1000 miles......

No leaks, no smoke, no problems.

Quick Reply: LS1 oil consumption?