New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checklist for Header Install + Extra's, Do I have everything?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Checklist for Header Install + Extra's, Do I have everything?

So I'm about to rip off my stock manifolds and put my FLP Longtubes on. I'm going to do all this tomorrow if I have everything required.

1) Long Tubes
2) Catted Y-Pipe
3) Header Gaskets
4) 18" 02 Extensions
5) EGR & AIR Block Off Plates (Do I still need a rubber plug for the top of the intake? I have a total of 3 plates and 3 gaskets for the plates)
6) NGK Plugs

While I'm in there I also want to put on my 160 T-stat and flush the radiator. And install my SLP Linelock and bleed the whole system. I have all the fluids I need. Do I need something like rear 02 sims? I can get rid of the check engine light and all that and will probably get a Frost tune a week or two later. And I've decided against motor mounts, I'm in Cali so I'll probably have to take the headers off again in a year so I'll be in again later. Anything else I'm missing?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Make sure you have some wd40 or pb blaster depending on how bad your exhaust is esp. if you plan on putting it back in for inspection (I do the same thing haha) and give it plenty of time to soak. I broke half of the bolts on mine when I took the sock manifolds out. And I wouldent bother with the o2 sims if your planning on tuning it i got a pair and they didnt even work. And for the top hole in the intake I just cut the tube near the top and crimped it so no air could get in but i dont know if your were planning on putting the egr back in as well then that wouldent work for you.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

yes you will need the rubber plug on the intake. It should be a 1-3/8 expandable freeze plug. i just got one at advance auto parts
Old 04-05-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

You will need OS sims or a retune of your computer to prevent the SES light.

Even a catted Y will throw a code if they are not stock cats on there.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
You will need OS sims or a retune of your computer to prevent the SES light.

Even a catted Y will throw a code if they are not stock cats on there.
Yea I'm not concerned with the SES light, so thats all 02 Sims really do? As long as I have my extensions and stock 02's in before the cat it will read correctly right? Ok sounds good, I think I'll start soaking it all tonight and hit it up in the morning, thanks everyone.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

02 sims or not you should get a tune regardless to get the full benefit of the headers
Old 04-05-2012, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

I will tune when I put the cam in, in about a month.. I've heard of plenty of people being cool without a tune, obviously I want the best performance so I'll get it tuned shortly.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed my headers the bolts were bottoming out and I didn't know it. I was like, "WTF is happening? Why are all the bolts getting hard to turn at the very last part?" It was leaving a very small gap between the header and the head. I thought maybe the threads in the heads were just gummed up so I put my wrench on a bolt and put my back into it just to turn it a bit more to close that gap and POP! the header bolt broke! I could not understand what was happening! My brother finally came over and asked me to pull out one of the bolts all the way. I did and when he looked at the bolt he says, "Man, your bolts are bottoming out, look at the threads at the end of the bolt!. Sure enough the end of the bolt was getting all messed up. I went to Kragen and bought some washers for them and wah lah, the bolts weren't bottoming out and the gap was pinched shut. I don't know if I got the wrong bolts or what but I just throw that out there for anyone installing headers so they don't go through my nightmare.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
When I installed my headers the bolts were bottoming out and I didn't know it. I was like, "WTF is happening? Why are all the bolts getting hard to turn at the very last part?" It was leaving a very small gap between the header and the head. I thought maybe the threads in the heads were just gummed up so I put my wrench on a bolt and put my back into it just to turn it a bit more to close that gap and POP! the header bolt broke! I could not understand what was happening! My brother finally came over and asked me to pull out one of the bolts all the way. I did and when he looked at the bolt he says, "Man, your bolts are bottoming out, look at the threads at the end of the bolt!. Sure enough the end of the bolt was getting all messed up. I went to Kragen and bought some washers for them and wah lah, the bolts weren't bottoming out and the gap was pinched shut. I don't know if I got the wrong bolts or what but I just throw that out there for anyone installing headers so they don't go through my nightmare.
I had that problem as well haha and another tip if your doing it all yourself as i did. on the front and back manifold bolts cut a slot on the bottom of the gasket where the holes for the bolts are. that way you can get the front and back bolts started and then just slide the gasket in place instead of having to hold the header and gasket and get the bolt started all at once.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pnykillerz28ls1
I had that problem as well haha and another tip if your doing it all yourself as i did. on the front and back manifold bolts cut a slot on the bottom of the gasket where the holes for the bolts are. that way you can get the front and back bolts started and then just slide the gasket in place instead of having to hold the header and gasket and get the bolt started all at once.

That's crazy about your bolts bottoming out too! I called Texas Speed when it happened and they said they never heard that before, it has to be more common. Maybe people that it happens to just don't say anything?

And nice call on cutting the slots on the gasket, wish I would have done that.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to be doing this as well, So I will add questions that perhaps you did or didn't think of to help us both.

1. Do you absolutely have to have O2 extensions to reach the O2 Sensor bungs in the longtubes?

2. New plug wires probably a good idea, potentially better heat resistance?

3. Worth it to get locking header bolts or the bolts TSP offers in their kits?

You might want to have stuff ready for an oil change, I've heard some people have to remove their filters.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
I'm going to be doing this as well, So I will add questions that perhaps you did or didn't think of to help us both.

1. Do you absolutely have to have O2 extensions to reach the O2 Sensor bungs in the longtubes?

2. New plug wires probably a good idea, potentially better heat resistance?

3. Worth it to get locking header bolts or the bolts TSP offers in their kits?

You might want to have stuff ready for an oil change, I've heard some people have to remove their filters.
Yea I also have stainless allen head bolts for the install I got off the guy in classifieds who sells them for like $13... Yea I'll do all the oil **** at the same time as well, thanks guys, hope this goes well.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Personally I didn't bother with the locking bolts but I also didn't use the tsp ones I had a set of stock replacements and they had more thread on them then tsp ones so I figured id use them and I haven't had a problem after 2 years
Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Might need some MSD wires. Sometimes the wires will touch, although, on my 1 3/4 it didn't. Plug the hole in the intake for now, aftermarket tb's won't have that there.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSS
Might need some MSD wires. Sometimes the wires will touch, although, on my 1 3/4 it didn't. Plug the hole in the intake for now, aftermarket tb's won't have that there.
some times the wires do rub but ehs got the right idea get a new set of wires
Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by B0dyDr0pp3d
Yea I'm not concerned with the SES light, so thats all 02 Sims really do? As long as I have my extensions and stock 02's in before the cat it will read correctly right? Ok sounds good, I think I'll start soaking it all tonight and hit it up in the morning, thanks everyone.
Your SES will be for "catalist insufficiency" due to the rear 02 sensors only. Your fronts will be fine for now. Yes to have the full effect of the headers you will need a retune. Do that when you have a couple of mods to get the most bang for your buck.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by pnykillerz28ls1
Make sure you have some wd40 or pb blaster depending on how bad your exhaust is esp. if you plan on putting it back in for inspection (I do the same thing haha) and give it plenty of time to soak. I broke half of the bolts on mine when I took the sock manifolds out. And I wouldent bother with the o2 sims if your planning on tuning it i got a pair and they didnt even work. And for the top hole in the intake I just cut the tube near the top and crimped it so no air could get in but i dont know if your were planning on putting the egr back in as well then that wouldent work for you.
pb blaster ftw
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Don't forget anti-seize!