Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

typhoon intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default typhoon intake

is there a write up or video for swapping from a ls1 intake to a 96mm typhoon intake? its a 98 so i got this http://professionalproducts.carshopi...id/85399/10611
if anyone can help me let me know. i have never done anything like this before
Old 03-10-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

two things, the link you provided is to a fuel rail kit, not the intake. are you saying you bought the typhoon intake or you bought the fuel rails? ive had the PP fuel rails on a car i bought, never noticed a difference since i bought it with it on. had a big cam and ls7 injectors. as far as install fuel rails arnt that had to do and you can follow any writeup for fuel rails basically.

now the second thing, if your saying you bought a typhoon intake, my advice to you is to return it/resell it right away, dont put that intake on your car. it will do what its supposed to do, the quailty and fitment isnt bad, just it wont give you any gains whatsoever, ive actually spoken to two people who dynoed with less HP after swapping to a tyhpoon. they both swapped back to an ls6 or a FAST and made up the HP they lost going to the typhoon. get your money back and buy an ls6 or save up and get a FAST.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

how will it not give me any gains? and i bought a ls6 intake and they ran out so they sent this instead. it has to be better than not driving the car. i have an intake gasket leak and i figured since i was pulling it i would upgrade.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

It won't give you gains. There's more to an intake than just it flows air. An intakes design is what will make it power. If you don't want to take my word for it look around ls1tech. There's a reason why you see only either FAST intakes, or ls6 intakes. Every now and then a bbk Ssi. Personally if I ordered an ls6 intake and was sent a typhoon is sent it back and get my money back. Worse is not better. If you need to get the car going by a used ls1 intake and save up for a ls6 or fast. The typhoon is the cost of a used ls6. In the end its your car man do what you want all we can do here is offer advice from people that have been with these cars for years and years.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

ls6 and youll be set man!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

if you like heat soak put one on.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Lmao....this coming from someone w/ a "built" motor putting down 415...MD dyno or not that ***** weak...Ive been running a typhoon for years been very happy, turbo numbers coming soon.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Lmao....this coming from someone w/ a "built" motor putting down 415...MD dyno or not that ***** weak...Ive been running a typhoon for years been very happy, turbo numbers coming soon.
lol bro you have no clue WTF youre talking about.just STFU and see what that BBQ grill of an intake puts down in august lol.

my setup is old and nowhere near potential.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

im getting mixed reviews on it. i know fast is better and if i build an engine i would buy one. this has 120000 miles on it and i figured it is better than a ls1 intake
Old 03-12-2014, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would rather leave my ls1 intake on then a typhoon intake on my car if I can't get ls6 or fast then I would not have any other then my ls1 intake
Old 03-12-2014, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wink

Originally Posted by usnfenix
It won't give you gains. There's more to an intake than just it flows air. An intakes design is what will make it power. If you don't want to take my word for it look around ls1tech. There's a reason why you see only either FAST intakes, or ls6 intakes. Every now and then a bbk Ssi. Personally if I ordered an ls6 intake and was sent a typhoon is sent it back and get my money back. Worse is not better. If you need to get the car going by a used ls1 intake and save up for a ls6 or fast. The typhoon is the cost of a used ls6. In the end its your car man do what you want all we can do here is offer advice from people that have been with these cars for years and years.
Originally Posted by 99 ss
I would rather leave my ls1 intake on then a typhoon intake on my car if I can't get ls6 or fast then I would not have any other then my ls1 intake

***** weak.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My option is this:

Typhoon is slightly better than an LS1 intake and not quite as good as an LS6 intake. A BBK intake is slightly better than a Typhoon intake and about equal to an LS6 intake. FAST beats all.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

ls6 ftw
Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
if you like heat soak put one on.
This crap never fails. People talk about it like it completely kills performance and causes problems or think it heat soaks like a roots type blower. Total bs. Anyways OP, try to stick to the LS6 intake IMO, but the Typhoon won't hurt anything. There might be a few horsepower difference between the two, but not much to be really concerned about.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 03-12-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
This crap never fails. People talk about it like it completely kills performance and causes problems or think it heat soaks like a roots type blower. Total bs. Anyways OP, try to stick to the LS6 intake IMO, but the Typhoon won't hurt anything. There might be a few horsepower difference between the two, but not much to be really concerned about.
theres more than enough claims that this isnt the best intake to go with.

i get my info from a reputable tuner. i dont make **** up. im sure they perform under cooler conditions but i wouldnt recommend one and it seems a lot of others feel the same way.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...nion-help.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-manifold.html

if people like them fine but ive read enough to form my opinion and thats all it is.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of people say a lot of things, but I have yet to see
anyone prove anything about the relative merits of the
Typhoons vs LS6.

I have measured intake manifold heat soak after running
and after parking and it's trivial. This is not a wet manifold
and it stays cool to the touch. I posted about that some
years back.

You need the PP rail set to go with the PP manifolds. The
rails are OK but won't stand overtightening of fittings,
so watch it or you'll split them. I stripped the anodizing off
mine since the only choices were stupid blue or stupider red.
I made the feed from a Y-block rather than loop-through,
in hopes of better fuel distribution at high load. Works fine
is all I can say about that.

You need to get a set of valley cover screws with a low
profile button head; that info I have posted as well, but
I no longer remember the details.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

im glad youre happy with yours and i remember you posting info.

i can only go by info ive gathered and i wouldnt recommend one.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...6mm-setup.html

Guy went from 448whp with LS6 intake to 461whp with Typhoon and throttle body.

Another typhoon vs LS6 dyno.

http://www.performanceinjection.com/...Test-52060.pdf

The thing people here don't seem to understand, is that different parts are going to perform differently based on situations. It annoys me the number of threads I see here where someone says "Whats the BEST intake, I want that one" or "What is the absolute best cam for an LS1". Intake manifolds, like headers, have lots of physics involved. Some will perform better at different power levels. Cam sizing plays as much into the power/torque an intake manifold will make as anything else on the car. One cam might give the LS6 an advantage, while another gives the Typhoon an advantage. Since these aren't similarly designed intakes, an apples to apples comparison cannot be done in this respect as you can with an LS1 and an LS6 intake. For this SAME reason, a Holley Hi-Ram will lose power almost completely across on a stock cam 5.3, but pick up BIG power with a large cam that hits 7000+ RPM or a boosted setup. If the Typhoon does in-fact have shorter runners are larger flow potential than the LS6, then someone who is not revving above 6200 RPM may NEVER see gains from it. Large flow intakes often only show their potential when the extra air is needed.

From what I've seen, the Typhoon and LS6 are comparable intakes in terms of potential. Cam duration/valve events will play the biggest role in which intake performs best in which setup.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

its going on the car as we speak. some may not like it but i will tell tomorrow if i do or not. i am not to worried about heat soak and idc what it is like compared to the ls6, just to the ls1. i just wanted better than the ls1 intake. the car has 120000 miles so i am not trying to build an awesome engine. i think i may buy a bottom end and build the top end with 243 heads, a cam, and a ls6/fast intake. ill let everyone know what i think of the intake.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

ok its on and i have some questions. i only had one leak with the fuel rail but that is fixed now. but my bottom end has suffered. i can floor it at a stand still and floor it, it doesnt spin or chirp. then when i hit around 2800-3000 it takes off hard. do i need a tune or cam or need a new intake? i am running complete stock exhaust and am putting longtubes and full exhaust soon. will that really help?

Quick Reply: typhoon intake