New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Am About To Give Up On My Ls1!! What Do You Think??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I Am About To Give Up On My Ls1!! What Do You Think??

Well guys I am not having to much luck with my 1998 Trans Am besides the fact that it looks good and all the girls love it lol. I got it about 2 months ago and it has 100,000 miles on it..I didnt think to much of that considering they are great engines and can last twice that amount if taken care of. I bought it for 7,000 knowing that reverse popped out..and a few other small things like a bad ac compressor. Well so much for planning on having to put a "little" money into it. I just had to rebuild my whole tranny..what was suppose to be a 1500 dollar rebuild turned into a 3300 DOLLAR rebuild. My neighbor owns an AAMCO so I trusted him...I guess it had a bad input shaft..that price included a new clutch, fly wheel, pressure plate, and slave cylinder. It was kinda funny because the 2 bolts that hold the slave cylinder in werent there!!! They had flown off and went right thrue the bellhousing so I had to get a new one of those. So now I am in the car 10,300 Well 2 days ago I hear a clicking noise..WHAT NOW I guess one of my rockers is bad so I am getting a whole set of Roller Rockers (If anyone has any let me know I need some). Also my oil is not leaking and I think it is the front main seal..does anyone know how much those are to fix on parts and labor? As you can see I am a bit frustrated with my car..I love it dont get me wrong its an awesome car but how much more am I going to have to put into it? Should I just dump it now and take my losses? any help or comments would be awesome..

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-03-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98WTA
Well guys I am not having to much luck with my 1998 Trans Am besides the fact that it looks good and all the girls love it lol. I got it about 2 months ago and it has 100,000 miles on it..I didnt think to much of that considering they are great engines and can last twice that amount if taken care of. I bought it for 7,000 knowing that reverse popped out..and a few other small things like a bad ac compressor. Well so much for planning on having to put a "little" money into it. I just had to rebuild my whole tranny..what was suppose to be a 1500 dollar rebuild turned into a 3300 DOLLAR rebuild. My neighbor owns an AAMCO so I trusted him...I guess it had a bad input shaft..that price included a new clutch, fly wheel, pressure plate, and slave cylinder. It was kinda funny because the 2 bolts that hold the slave cylinder in werent there!!! They had flown off and went right thrue the bellhousing so I had to get a new one of those. So now I am in the car 10,300 Well 2 days ago I hear a clicking noise..WHAT NOW I guess one of my rockers is bad so I am getting a whole set of Roller Rockers (If anyone has any let me know I need some). Also my oil is not leaking and I think it is the front main seal..does anyone know how much those are to fix on parts and labor? As you can see I am a bit frustrated with my car..I love it dont get me wrong its an awesome car but how much more am I going to have to put into it? Should I just dump it now and take my losses? any help or comments would be awesome..

Thanks,
Dan
I've had all the same issues you have had, plus window motors, rear main seal leaking, overheating engine, optispark, and brake lights. I spent $3,200 to purchase the car. . .and another $3,500 fixing things on it. But you know what? I love it. I thought about selling it, but just remember. . .your almost finished making it new. Any car is going to need things repaired sooner or later. Your just doing them sooner. Don't give up. In the end, you will be glad.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess one of my rockers is bad so I am getting a whole set of Roller Rockers
A guess is a poor reason to install roller rockers. Your ticking noise could be caused by any valvetrain component or something else altogether. Stock rockers can fail but, in general, they are excellent, reliable parts. Many highly modified LS1s have stock rockers.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmLT1
I've had all the same issues you have had, plus window motors, rear main seal leaking, overheating engine, optispark, and brake lights. I spent $3,200 to purchase the car. . .and another $3,500 fixing things on it. But you know what? I love it. I thought about selling it, but just remember. . .your almost finished making it new. Any car is going to need things repaired sooner or later. Your just doing them sooner. Don't give up. In the end, you will be glad.
Very tru, it just happend that you had to fix it sooner than later. Dont give up on it, you'll have it running brand new in no time.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

cbbn h b

Last edited by HFLDtA; 03-02-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Mine when I bought it I went thought the tranny in a week The TCS went The ABs went my rear is whinning, grinding bad... I got the tranny tcs abs fixed for free with the warr, The rear is just a slight problem I changed the gears my self so its probley my fault, putting in the Tc cuased a engine oil leak which I fixed something stupid. But everytime I drive It I remeber why I love my car and why no matter What I'll keep racing it, Think of it this way, When something breaks replace it with something better
Old 08-03-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3300 for the trans rebuild??? can you not get a damn brand new one cheaper than that? i never checked so i guess not but thats a lot of money for a damn rebuild. the tick can be piston slap, very normal. if you wanna get rid of your car then do it, your car deserves to be treated better lol. with that many miles things will go wrong if you arent the original owner and know how well you kept up with the car. just sit back, breathe, and remember its an ls1, and quit talking crazy ahah
Old 08-03-2005, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reverse popped out..
please tell me this is not the only reason you had the tranny rebuilt.

I just had to rebuild my whole tranny..what was suppose to be a 1500 dollar rebuild turned into a 3300 DOLLAR rebuild.
how did they talk you into spending 3300 for a job they quoted at 1500?

cunfusiouse say,"man who dont get quote in writing , should not be aloud in public alone"

My neighbor owns an AAMCO so I trusted him...
the word TRUST... and AAMCO should never...never...ever...be in the same line.....EVER!!!...

I guess it had a bad input shaft..that price included a new clutch, fly wheel, pressure plate, and slave cylinder. It was kinda funny because the 2 bolts that hold the slave cylinder in werent there!!! They had flown off and went right thrue the bellhousing so I had to get a new one of those.
lemme get this strait... they worked on your tranny...(elejedly)rebuilt it... it takes a crap and YOU paid to have it fixed???? NOT A MUTHAFUKIN CHANCE IN HELL!!!! Brotha take no offence but how do you stand up strait without a SPINE????
I would burn my neighbors house down if he did not fix his own mistake...(or at least take his *** to court and sue the holy crap outa him for all cost this has ment to you)

So now I am in the car 10,300 Well 2 days ago I hear a clicking noise..WHAT NOW I guess one of my rockers is bad so I am getting a whole set of Roller Rockers
yeh cause after 100,000 miles they might not just be alittle LOOSE or anything... come on man who told you they were BAD?

first find that person... reach back and touch a peice of the next state over and bitch slap the hell outa them for being stupid....

next, pull off your valve covers, have a REAL friend sit in the drivers seat. look for the first rocker that has the valve spring completely unloaded.. with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet in hand first check to see if it is loose, if it is, then slowly turn the nut till the play is gone. this is 0 lash... from there tighten 1/8th of a turn no more no less.
have your friend bump the motor over till the next valve is in the right position... repeat....
if for any reason you still have a "tick" then the next place you might check is your pushrods,(but i am willing to bet the first fixes your problem.)

Also my oil is not leaking
its not suposed to

and I think it is the front main seal..
it truely sounds to me that you have some jackass telling you what HE thinks is wronge... problem 1. stop listening to idiot friends that havent the faintest clue one what they are talking about.
get under your car and LOCATE the source of your leak.....hint... it will be the spot with oil comming out of it...

As you can see I am a bit frustrated with my car..
its not your cars fault that you have idiots for neighbors and friends... chances are your car needed about 300 bucks worth of work when you got it...

I love it dont get me wrong its an awesome car but how much more am I going to have to put into it? Should I just dump it now and take my losses?
if you LOVE it .... then why in the hell are you asking people that truely DO love these cars if you should give up and dump it?

this my friend is called tough love.....
you have had poor advice, and SHITTY people working on your car putting shitty parts in , and you wonder why she is giving you trouble?

place the blame where it should be...
Old 08-03-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

i couldnt have said it better myself
Old 08-03-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

amen!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

ouch! I'm sure once he gets off of his ***, he'll have a pleasant response for ou
Old 08-03-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

every car has ther problems after than many miles. rebuild it if you love it... personally i love my car and will never get rid of it.... if it breaks ill fix it.. sometimes it might take awile but i promise you this ill do what it takes..
Old 08-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

No, only the reverse was screwed up when I bought it and then all of a sudden I got stuck in 4th gear one day and I took it in and thats when they said I had a bad input shaft...it was 1800 dollars in parts for the tranny and thats including a new bellhousing. Then 700 for the Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, and Slave Cylinder, And 600 Dollars in Labor, and Tax. I honestly dont think he really screwed me over and you never know whats wrong with them until you get into them. I have a 1 year warranty on parts and labor and it drives great now as for as the tranny goes. I am hoping there is nothing to seriously wrong with that ticking noise..it was pretty quiet but it has gotten louder especially when the rpms get high it gets pretty loud and since I have to replace something I might as well upgrade it. After listening the guy just threw out some things that it could be and that was one of them. As for the oil it is all over the oil pan and oil filter. I am just saying I have so much money into this car and it is def. worth it with all the fun I have driving it and all the other cars I beat up on. It has headers, full exhaust, it was lowered and has all the options. I only have so much money thoe..hopefully I can keep it because I will lose alot most likely if I have to sell it. Heres a link...

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...20050803194555
Old 08-03-2005, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.flp2win.com/store/produc...07ceb855ae6b97

this is a BRAND spanking new tranny... 1900 bucks...
most shops (good ones) charge 200 bucks to remove/reinstall tranny

heres what some good clutches cost....
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=72
any of them are better then the stocker...

he robbed you ....
Old 08-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

The only thing I over payed on was the labor and thats fine...I know it was done right..So thats 2000 for a tranny plus clutch and everything else and I am still sitting at 3000..So I overpayed by a couple hundred and now I know no matter what if anything happends as long as I dont beat the **** out of it I will be covered...peace of mind is worth alot to me.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

you THINK it will be covered, my friends wasnt, they try to get you any way they can. if its a clutch that grabs good they will blameit on that and not cover it. you paid for a REBUILT trans, the other one is 100% new, not 50% new. in the future, come on here first and ask for opinions on things. you could get a used t56 with less miles on it for under a grand prob. i got my spec stage 3 and flywheel and hydros for about 525 shipped. you gotta be careful who you go to, neighbor or not.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take a seat. Take a breath. Relax.

Buy some books on the LS1. Read the posts on this site. SEARCH the posts on this site. Learn. Think.

Buy some wrenches. Open the hood.

Engage brain. Wrench.

SOP.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

I feel your pain dude. I financed my 2000 TA for a total of $32,000 4 years ago, and everything is so dang expensive that I JUST NOW got to do some major mods because I have been going through life crisis, etc. I am happy with the mods I have chosen although it seems now there are more problems, or maybe I am just racing it too hard. And you know it costs more and more and more when you find out what is wrong with it. I would keep the car since you dumped so much money into it, because even if you buy another one we all have our time in racing when something will go horribly wrong - at least you hopefully already gone your time out of the way.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's spelled "scAAMCO".

There were problems with the rockers losing the needle
bearings. You would find these attached to the oil drain
plug magnet at oil change. Stock replacements are OK
and a dime a dozen (or, maybe $50-$100 for 16 if you
find someone who's hip deep in cylinder head cores).
Inspect & replace.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had my tranny rebuilt, a z06 clutch kit and new slave put in (new pp, to bearing, etc...) for ~1800 including labor. Please tell me you didn't get ripped off again. I spend HALF as much as you and got the same job minus input shaft (which prolly wasn't even the problem) I don't see the input shaft being more than $300. Labor was $250 flat fee, no matter what got replaced. Also $250 to pull it (actually 350 because I had LT's I still don't understand that, but oh well)