New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In a bit of a dilema

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005 | 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Default In a bit of a dilema

If you read my post a while ago about how much would you pay for a SOM firehawk then you know what im talking about. But here is the dilema. Im in the market for a new car obviously, but i cant make up my mind. So right now im looking at the SOM firehawk and a 03 cobra. Both are in my price range. So its a tough decision. So if you guys/gals could help me decide or give me some advice would be great.

Few things about the 02 SOM hawk, its a M6 t-tops, iroc spoiler, polished wheels, and fully loaded with 27k miles.

Few things about the 03 cobra, its sonic blue, M6, 19k miles, few boll-ons like a pulley, K&N, predator hand programmer, IRS is swaped out for a solid axle set-up from a mach 1.

So please help me out guys/gals.
Old 08-24-2005 | 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

cobra
Old 08-24-2005 | 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd take the fbody

But that is my own personal decision
When I was searching for a car a year ago, I was also deciding between a fbody and a '03 cobra (was also sonic blue, heh)

I went with the fbody.. I dont really like how I sit in a 'stang, and the interior feels..cramped.. to me. I dont like the overall feel of that car, lets put it that way..

sure, its a little faster than my T/A stock for stock, but thats nothing a few mods wont handle. who keeps their cars stock nowadays?

Take it for what its worth, my own personal opinion that I based my purchase on

Whichever youll get youll be happy, trust me on that
Old 08-24-2005 | 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cobra.
Old 08-24-2005 | 09:56 PM
TECH Regular
20 Year Member

Do you know anything about either cars' previous owners. The Hawk sounds like its mostly stock and the Cobra had some work done on it. Personally I would take the car that was closer to stock over one that had been modded (assuming I didn't know or wasn't able to talk to the owner). Have you test driven either car yet, that's a good way to eliminate one over the other (I don't like the driving position in the Mustang).

You should also get the vin # from the Hawk and a list of SLP options (on the passenger side door) in order to make sure it really is a Firehawk.
Old 08-24-2005 | 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

If the Cobra has the solid rear end with mods, it's been down the strip a time or two. Be careful. Listen to it VERY carefully, and be sure it doesn't have "the tick". Look for any hint of nitrous...they don't hold up well on the juice.
Old 08-24-2005 | 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

'Hawk.

Any cobra that's had the IRS swapped will likely have been run hard.
Old 08-24-2005 | 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default Few more facts

The Hawk seems stock. It does have 3 a-pillar gauges which i dont think means anything but they are tranny temp, vac, and air/fuel.

The reason why the the IRS is out of the cobra is because the owner WAS gonna make it a street/strip car. He is the 2nd owner and the reason why he is selling is because he is building a house. Also i have not driven the cobra yet but will be test driving it Sunday.
Old 08-24-2005 | 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would love to have an 03/04 Cobra, but a SOM Firehawk I would also love to have. If it were me I would go for the 'Hawk because they are rare and are just plain badass looking.
Old 08-24-2005 | 10:36 PM
Banned

hawk hawk hawk, **** a firehawk is rare enough as it is let alone a SOM, i was in the same bind with the left over cash you have from the hawk you can put into mods and kill the cobra, obisouly your leanin towards it since your asking the quesiton on a fbody site, good luck with whatever you choose, both nice cars!!!!

but a f-body is better
Old 08-24-2005 | 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

To be honest i really havent decided on either one yet. I mean im a die hard GM guy especially chevy and pontiac. But i really do respect and like the 03 cobra's. So thats why its such a hard choice. im kinda leaning towards the firehawk due to the fact its so rare and not to mention so beautiful. But i have to keep my options open. But i will update you guys when i do get to test drive the cobra sunday.
Old 08-24-2005 | 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02SS#406
If the Cobra has the solid rear end with mods, it's been down the strip a time or two. Be careful. Listen to it VERY carefully, and be sure it doesn't have "the tick". Look for any hint of nitrous...they don't hold up well on the juice.
What does the tick sound like? Is it kinda like piston slap or is it like ticking of the rocker and what not.
Old 08-24-2005 | 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bshell
Do you know anything about either cars' previous owners. The Hawk sounds like its mostly stock and the Cobra had some work done on it. Personally I would take the car that was closer to stock over one that had been modded (assuming I didn't know or wasn't able to talk to the owner). Have you test driven either car yet, that's a good way to eliminate one over the other (I don't like the driving position in the Mustang).

You should also get the vin # from the Hawk and a list of SLP options (on the passenger side door) in order to make sure it really is a Firehawk.

What does the tick sound like? Is it kinda like piston slap or is it like ticking of the rocker and what not.
Old 08-25-2005 | 06:34 AM
On The Tree

98v6camaro -

Do me a favor, I am the administrator of svtsnake.com, go over there and ask around and see if the car belongs to a regular. Tell them Yell03 (Howard) sent you.

If it does you can be sure it is OK and get the straight scoop on the car from people on there.

I used to own a Yellow 03 Cobra.

It is about the perfect balance of daily driver and track car you can get.

With just 4 mods (cai, catback, 2.8 pulley, and a tune) it made 445rwhp/452rwtq SAE with 11.5 a/f and ran 12.2@116.4 on radials granny shifting.

With just the catback and cai I ran 12.48@114.89 grannyshifting and my buddy ran a 12.35@115.4 powershifting.

The Firehawk sounds nice also, less tack time for sure.

I always like to buy as close to stock as possible and mod it myself, but there are cost advantages to buying a modded car. Just make sure the engine is OK, do a compression check if possible.

Good luck,

Howard
Old 08-25-2005 | 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98V6camaro
If you read my post a while ago about how much would you pay for a SOM firehawk then you know what im talking about. But here is the dilema. Im in the market for a new car obviously, but i cant make up my mind. So right now im looking at the SOM firehawk and a 03 cobra. Both are in my price range. So its a tough decision. So if you guys/gals could help me decide or give me some advice would be great.

Few things about the 02 SOM hawk, its a M6 t-tops, iroc spoiler, polished wheels, and fully loaded with 27k miles.

Few things about the 03 cobra, its sonic blue, M6, 19k miles, few boll-ons like a pulley, K&N, predator hand programmer, IRS is swaped out for a solid axle set-up from a mach 1.

So please help me out guys/gals.
how much is each car?
Old 08-25-2005 | 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98V6camaro
To be honest i really havent decided on either one yet. I mean im a die hard GM guy especially chevy and pontiac.
You answered your own question
Old 08-25-2005 | 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

I have to vote for the SOM Firehawk. Sorry but those Firehawks are just fine as is, then they are rare, then it's SOM on top (one of the rarest colors). Plus it sounds like that Cobra's been run hard, no other excuse for the solid axle swap. Think of it like a F-body with a 12-bolt or 9 inch.
Old 08-25-2005 | 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

if you call that a dilema i wish i had a dilema
Old 08-26-2005 | 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go with the Hawk. The resell on it will be so much better (selling to the right person) if you decide to sell it after a few years. My SOM SS Vert is only one of two with all SLP options and tan top. I''ve been offered 30k for it and turned it down. I can bet that Hawk is a rare one for sure.