Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Stock shortblock/cubic inch cam-only entry:) 56k beware

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is endless!!!!! Alot of good info; the only bad thing is, there is so much info you will get lost in the pages when this thread is searched in future references. But none the less, Great Info!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by n2ols1cam
fbody, do you have any head work done?
None what so ever. 10.25:1 static, 7.5:1 dynamic compression.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
Indeed! Aug 18th Majestic Motorsports is having track rental down my way if you want to come out! I have a set of TFS 215's (58cc) that I dont have a motor for yet... I really wonder what they'd do on your car!? Id throw them on my 99 but I wouldnt be able to run pump gas on boost. Im on the fence about taking the turbo setup off and putting those heads and my nitrous cam in the car. Not sure how an LS6 intake would do with that combo though. I'm thinking maybe a Steve Johnson plate kit on top of a super victor and acufab 4150 would compliment it nicely... and then making my 95 a turbo car? ohh the decisions!
I am all for finding out if you are!!! I'd need to rent a lindy fly cutting tool but for those heads I'd do it in a heart beat!!! I'd be willing to bet it would pick up at least 4-5mph on the current tune-up and with the current tune-up leaned out some more on kill it might do more than that!

I'd keep the turbo set-up on the 99 and do the gangster motor in the 95!!! I think WhiteLTone has gotten his car really light! Lighter than mine at least and that's saying something!

I only know of a couple f-bodies in my area that are as light as mine and Justin Smith's is one, hell his gets 2600 empty I think! Mine was 2780 empty without me in it the other day at the track when I weighed it for the first time and that was with the 15lb bottle.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteLTone
the powerband is a little different, but once you put nitrous on it, well its kinda like having sex for the first time, every time you drive it... i wear diapers usually.
Pictures are needed of this
Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
I was doing a lt1,had jakez28 old heads,ported intakr whole 9 yards..then i smacked myself an swapped to the ls1..better heads an less weight
I'm glad I didn't have to do it for you lmao
Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lncboytre_d
This thread is endless!!!!! Alot of good info; the only bad thing is, there is so much info you will get lost in the pages when this thread is searched in future references. But none the less, Great Info!
Hey that's the inner post ***** in me coming out
Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Hey that's the inner post ***** in me coming out
By all means, keep posting. I was just stating a fact. I search and read your post religously. You, Carter, Cam, ATV....you guys are awesome! I have learned so much.....mainly corrected things I thought I knew.
If no one else does, I thank you guys.

I am a self proclaimed "lean is mean" club member

Last edited by lncboytre_d; 07-04-2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added
Old 07-04-2012, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad I didn't have to do it for you lmao
**** 2 yrs ago if i wasnt still trying to run x275 at the time i would of had a bbc instead..i had a line on a nice bowtie tall deck block for 500$,used bryant crank and some other stuff..sears said no tall decks ever in x275 so i passed it up an started getting **** for the lt1 at the time..10 months later tall decks where let in..

you going to run a cam like the one im going to get ground but with 2 degree more dur on the exh side? what lobes you going to use the lsl/rpm..
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 AM
8 Second Club

Well what are you waiting on then!!!

I'm hoping to have the car out on the 7th.

Big race at piedmont. King of The Streets will be having OL10.5, SR275, 6.0 heads up pro tree index(I am probably going to enter this), 7.0 pro tree index, RS275, and I think NDRRA is having 28's vs. 275's that night also.

Should be a fun time with great track prep.

I may just test and try to get that 5 second pass that night, but I'd like to test my hand in the 6.0 waters seeing as this thing runs the number almost every pass I might be able to win some money!

I am going to buy some jets tomorrow at the local speed shop. Going to get a 42 jet for my 82n jet tune-up, a 93n jet to go with the 50f jet I have and a 48f jet to go to if the 50f is too rich. If the 48f is too rich still also I have the 46f jet I can use. Really ready to pour some power to this thing.

I also finally got my nitrous interrupt wired up so I can leave on kill No more setting the nitrous activation 500rpm above the two step.

I know my car likes a run at the converter so I am going to set the two step and nitrous activation at 3600rpm, tighten the front end two clicks and let it ride Should help out a lot along with lowering the bottle pressure to 900 and leaning this baby out finally along with adding some timing back into it.

If I don't run 6.0 index I will try to swing at the fences.

If it picks up well setting the two-step and nitrous activation at the same rpm I might even add a degree of timing back into my retard ramp right to where my converter locks up hard and starts pulling and then continue pulling timing until it's all out for the tune-up I'm spraying. If it likes that and picks up again I'll tighten the f&r extension on the shocks another click and see what happens. Hoping I get everything good enough to where at the end of the night I can put the 93n/50f jet tune up in it and pull another 2-3 degrees of timing out of it and see what it does. I'm betting the converter really comes alive then and starts to shine. We will see.
Well it looks like my car is ready for the 7th too Martin. I'm glad they are running at night so we can avoid some of the heat. I haven't decided on just tnt or running a class. I guess it depends on my shakedown passes.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by THADD
Well it looks like my car is ready for the 7th too Martin. I'm glad they are running at night so we can avoid some of the heat. I haven't decided on just tnt or running a class. I guess it depends on my shakedown passes.
How about we just race each other!!!

Winner gets a beer bought by the loser?

And I'm freaking stoked about the golf cart too No more walking!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and 28's vs. 275's is on the 14th not 7th this Saturday next saturday along with NDRRA RS275.

Is Smith going to be with us on the 7th tuning your car?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lncboytre_d
By all means, keep posting. I was just stating a fact. I search and read your post religously. You, Carter, Cam, ATV....you guys are awesome! I have learned so much.....mainly corrected things I thought I knew.
If no one else does, I thank you guys.

I am a self proclaimed "lean is mean" club member
Atta boy! Lean is always mean, also know that if you already didn't in the summer time when the DA is high and so is the humidity you will want and need more timing in the tune-up and to lean it out to achieve the same plug reading.

When it cools off and the air is cold or cool and dry you'll want to take some timing out of it and most likely richen it a tad to achieve the same plug reading. I have even heard of guys in the late fall when it's -DA outside pulling their timing back 1-2* on a known tune-up, going up a fuel jet, and also stepping up to a colder plug.

Hotter weather, and higher humidity make for a higher DA so there is effectively less air to be utilized for your motor so you take away fuel jet to lean it out and add timing. The good thing about nitrous is even though your motor will be down on power, the nitrous will always add the same amount of power because it carries it's own oxygen. Your just adding the extra fuel to use it and combust it. The other thing is when the humidity is really high there are a lot more water grains in the air. Those added water grains in a nitrous car are almost like having water injection cooling the combustion charge down and allowing you to add a little timing. Water grains also have an affect on air fuel ratio and will lean out your motor needing the added fuel jet like I spoke of before.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am all for finding out if you are!!! I'd need to rent a lindy fly cutting tool but for those heads I'd do it in a heart beat!!! I'd be willing to bet it would pick up at least 4-5mph on the current tune-up and with the current tune-up leaned out some more on kill it might do more than that!

I'd keep the turbo set-up on the 99 and do the gangster motor in the 95!!! I think WhiteLTone has gotten his car really light! Lighter than mine at least and that's saying something!

I only know of a couple f-bodies in my area that are as light as mine and Justin Smith's is one, hell his gets 2600 empty I think! Mine was 2780 empty without me in it the other day at the track when I weighed it for the first time and that was with the 15lb bottle.
I plan to have the 95 in the 26-2700lb range, its gonna be a while before its race ready, unless i can get a hold of another transmission, and a set of big/littles. i have a th350 core and a stock ls1 with 241's. Might try to throw something budget together with that combo. still needs the whole car wired too. I want to minitub it and cut out all the rear sheetmetal (spare tire well, t-top well, behind gas filler) Also need to add bars through the firewall and around the strut towers so I can cut all that metal away.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
**** 2 yrs ago if i wasnt still trying to run x275 at the time i would of had a bbc instead..i had a line on a nice bowtie tall deck block for 500$,used bryant crank and some other stuff..sears said no tall decks ever in x275 so i passed it up an started getting **** for the lt1 at the time..10 months later tall decks where let in..

you going to run a cam like the one im going to get ground but with 2 degree more dur on the exh side? what lobes you going to use the lsl/rpm..
These are the lobes I am mulling over. I'm going to list all the specs so you can see what I compare them by. Some have more total duration than others while still sharing identical @.050 numbers. Some have different @.050 numbers, but share indentical total numbers and etc.

Here are the intake lobes I am looking at:
Total @.050 .200 lobe lift valve lift
LSL-289 239 162 .367" .624"
LSK-289 239 164 .382" .649
LSK-303 242 164 .371" .631
CM-296 240 161 .372" .632"
XER-289 240 161 .358" .609"

Here are the exhaust lobes I am looking at:
Total@.050 .200 lobe lift valve lift
XtremeRPM-305 252 168 .350" .595"
XtremeRPM-307 254 169 .350" .595"
XtremeRPM-309 256 170 .351" .597"
ExtremeMarine-308 254 171 .380" .646
Cheater HR-307 254 171 .365" .621"
LSL- 301 251 173 .367" .624"
LSL- 305 255 176 .367" .624"
CraneLSHS- 312 256 170.5 .350" .595"

I've been crunching valve event numbers and haven't really still found something that has given me that epiphany moment of clarity yet, but I have come up with 2 or 3 that I think will work great.

As you can see the LSL lobes have the most meat in the middle of the lobe and have the higher valve and lobe lifts as do the LSK lobes. The Extreme RPM lobes although having more total duration and @.050 up top have softer in the middle rates than the LSL and LSK lobes and less lift. The Extreme Marine lobes and Cheater lobe is kind of a mix of both of those with the same total as the Extreme RPM lobes, but has a little more in the middle rate and more lift than the Extreme RPM lobes but less than the LSL's do. You see that one LSK lobe with 242 @ .050 duration is just a beast with more total duration by far than the LSL lobes with 3* less @.050 duration but has the same in the middle area.

I don't want to give anything up on the intake, but the exhaust could stand to be a little bit softer "in the middle" but I'd like more on top since my car is a race car it will be seeing high rpm more than it will "street" rpm's. I really like the Cheater HR lobe on the exhaust lobe.

Last edited by Fbodyjunkie06; 07-04-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

way too much exhaust side, imho.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Unleashing my car sunday. Hopefully droppin a few lbs last week and the other changes we made at Legend Racing will net for some new bests.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StrokerTA
way too much exhaust side, imho.
EVO too aggressive?

I'm just looking at valve events and how they meet what I know works well.

My heads are **** and they need the duration from what I've been told.

When you say too much exhaust do you mean too much total? Too much @.200 @.050?

I'm sure you know being in the performance side of the racing world that each lobe is not the same even if it has the same total or @.050 numbers.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
I plan to have the 95 in the 26-2700lb range, its gonna be a while before its race ready, unless i can get a hold of another transmission, and a set of big/littles. i have a th350 core and a stock ls1 with 241's. Might try to throw something budget together with that combo. still needs the whole car wired too. I want to minitub it and cut out all the rear sheetmetal (spare tire well, t-top well, behind gas filler) Also need to add bars through the firewall and around the strut towers so I can cut all that metal away.
Damn man I missed your post here.

Well if you wanna lend a broke college student some bad *** heads we can see what they will do! I will be glad to perform all labor while you point and tell me do this do that(seriously...)

I've really been wanting to put together a "team" of some sorts. We already have our "group" of LS cars at the track with Me, Thadd, Paul, Ted and Matt. Mine is the slowest of the bunch, but we stick together and help each other out whenever we need it. I've been trying to talk travis(I8urford) in putting his bad *** L92 headed 408 in my car instead of his and selling my trans for a glide and giving RS275 a run for their money.

I'd love a set of heads hell even my 241's ported would be great. It's really the only thing that is holding the car back. The compression is just stupid low. I could probably run 12:1 on pump gas with the dynamic compression this cam creates.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Launching!

None what so ever. 10.25:1 static, 7.5:1 dynamic compression.
Nice!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVO too aggressive?

I'm just looking at valve events and how they meet what I know works well.

My heads are **** and they need the duration from what I've been told.

When you say too much exhaust do you mean too much total? Too much @.200 @.050?

I'm sure you know being in the performance side of the racing world that each lobe is not the same even if it has the same total or @.050 numbers.

Correct, no two lobes have the same valve events. However, cylinder heads being junk or not. Putting a over 300@50 exhaust lobe in the engine I do not think is going to net you the results you hope to find.
Very few of the pro mod engines I build have exhaust sides that extreme, when you try putting that much duration on the exhaust side you run the risk of blowing everything right out the exhaust valve and never creating any cylinder pressure..
I can tell you the cam in Nicks car has no where near that duration, and it runs alright. And has a fairly good cylinder head on it.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StrokerTA
Correct, no two lobes have the same valve events. However, cylinder heads being junk or not. Putting a over 300@50 exhaust lobe in the engine I do not think is going to net you the results you hope to find.
Very few of the pro mod engines I build have exhaust sides that extreme, when you try putting that much duration on the exhaust side you run the risk of blowing everything right out the exhaust valve and never creating any cylinder pressure..
I can tell you the cam in Nicks car has no where near that duration, and it runs alright. And has a fairly good cylinder head on it.
You mean over 300 at total duration? None of those durations are over 256 @.050.

If you look at the .200 numbers of that 254 cheater lobe it is softer at .200 than my 239 @.050 intake lobe with 254*@.050. It is a very soft lobe with a soft ramp rate.

I agree with blowing it out the cylinder, BUT you have to look at the total spec of the cam.

I just listed lobes I was looking at. When you combine those lobes with the right LSA and ICL the overlap is kept in check and you don't blow it out the cylinder.

Out of the 3-4 cam grinders I have talked to have told me I have the right idea with the specs I am looking at. Each one of them had a different opinion on the exact lobes to use, but all had the same valve events within 2* on each valve event.

The cam I have pretty much chosen to use is going to be 239/254 .624"/.621" 114LSA 109ICL on LSL intake lobe and Cheater HR exhaust.

That gives me:
IVO-10.5
IVC-48.5
EVO-66.0
EVC-8.0
Overlap-18.5*

Current cam is
IVO-9.5
IVC-49.5
EVO-53.5
EVC-13.5
Overlap-23*

If anything the new cam will create more cylinder pressure by having nearly 5* less overlap than my old cam with a much smaller exhaust lobe.

I think you know it's all about valve events and just looking at one side of the coin(exhaust duration) doesn't tell you anything.

Quick Reply: My Stock shortblock/cubic inch cam-only entry:) 56k beware