Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fbod- what tq arm you running?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BSmiff
Happens like that sometime. Especially when you wait til the last minute to get ready for track day.
It was a dumb mistake on my part I totally forgot about plugs and that I didn't have any new ones left. I keep all my old ones I pulled out after a run or two to use for later after I get the tune-up where I want it. No point in throwing them away!

Suicidal- yes I live in a great location. I'm 10-15 minutes from the heart of Greensboro, 15 minutes from heart of another fairly large/medium size city of Burlington and between the two of them is me! I can go either direction really and get what I need, but I happened to really luck out when I moved to this house. The track was a great plus, then when I started needing race gas I found out that my corner station sold 110 out the pump for 7.49 a gallon and Southern Automotive is 10-15 minutes from my house where I get my racing supplies. He has anything you need really in there from jets to harnesses to suits, cylinder heads, nitrous refills race gas etc. etc.

I also found out today while I was at the O'reilly Distribution Center that it is not ONLY the ONLY distribution center in NC, but the next two closest ones are in Knoxville, TN and Atlanta, GA. I could not believe that when he said it. I am so lucky to live 3 miles from that warehouse and I can get all the NGK 1049's and 1085's I need hell they even have the hard to find NGK 10 heat range plugs...R something can't remember part number now.

WhiteLTone- I am using a chromoly madman torque arm and a madman cross member. My torque arm mount has 3 different instant center adjustments.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Any Nano 3000 users with a 15lb bottle specifically?

What PSI does it keep it at?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Videos, pictures and run info coming soon.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

That's cool. Now answer your text ******. I not waiting to find out with the general public. Lol
Old 06-24-2012, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Well I am kind of late with this post. Tell you all the truth I am kind of frustrated.

First I will start with what happened and how the day went and then I will get to theories and scenarios.

Ever heard bad luck comes in 3's? Well it's more like 10's for me. Anyways...Me and Scott(my6speedz) headed to the track yesterday to brave the 100* temperatures and the 55% humidity we had yesterday. The DA was well over 3000 average if not higher most of the day we were there (12 noon to 6 p.m). It was hot to say the least.

Had the new pressure gauges and they were reading correctly and I had a pretty good feeling despite the weather. New tune-up, new timing strategy and a good track I hoped.

Got there and realized first off I left all my plugs at home. Went back and got them while Scott tried to fix the first problem we encountered aside from the plugs. When I first got the car to hook on nitrous and it came down so hard that time I smashed the v-band clamp on my driver's side and it didn't want to tighten. So we ended up stealing the v-band from the other side since without the extension on the collector the wideband wouldn't read.

Got that fixed and swapped over and got the plugs in. Went to make the first pass.

This was the result...

7.01@98 with a 1.53 60' I accidentally told the window switch that my car had 4 cylinders and not 8(even though ls1 uses 004 setting) and that it was a waste spark system so it never cut the nitrous on. Not bad for a tight *** nitrous stall and 18* timing in 3000DA

Got the instructions off the internet(smart phones are great thanks scott lol) and got it set back right. Left the settings completely the same and this happened...

6.15@111 1.33 60' 3.98 330'. I did something on this pass I have never done and that was pedal it I honestly will admit I got scared. With 1100psi bottle pressure I have never felt my car come up like that before that quick and that hard, I've always said to myself if you do pedal it stomp that pedal right back down and/or shift to second. I'm not perfect and I forgot As you can see when it came down it scrubbed a good bit of speed and e.t. off. I have a feeling it would of been a low 6.0x pass at 113-114. I've yet to feel my car pull that hard on the top end in 3rd gear.

After that pass I decided to lower the nitrous activation from 3900 to 3600 and leave the two step at 3200. I tightened the front shocks rebound two clicks. This is what happened...

6.12@111.9 1.30 60' 3.92 330'. Now I am getting frustrated, the damn thing comes out of the hole hard as hell, hits the 330' pretty good still felt like it was pulling almost as hard as the pass before in 3rd but still this 6.1x ****. At this time I was beginning to believe that the -10 degrees I was pulling for the 200 shot was overkill and was killing my top end especially in this heat. I wasn't able to data log any runs since my buddy jon wasn't there(ahh hem). Don't know what the afr was doing down track aside from plugs.

So I decided to really get after it in the front half, I tightened the rear shocks two clicks front two clicks. I have found my car seems to like a run at the converter before the nitrous hits(bigger space between two step and nitrous activation) so I raised the nitrous activation to 4100 and two step to 3600 so it would be higher in the power band when it launched i.e. more power. When I did this in hindsight I shouldn't of tightened the shocks. This is what happened.

Printer didn't print the ticket(didn't matter) because it spun anyways.

I left nitrous setting and two step alone and just tightened the rear shocks back to where the were, forgetting I had tightened the front shocks also. Went back out and this happened.

Spun again. That was the last pass I got. Bottle wouldn't keep anymore pressure and they were telling us we had to leave.

Here are some plug pictures of the tune-up I had in it all day. Plugs looked like this the whole time.

Cam, Carter, Shiz, ATV what do you guys think about these plugs? Or any other plug reading nitrous junkies

Ok so now down to theories why this hunk of **** won't break the 5 second barrier.

Weighed the car yesterday finally. 2780 empty 3002 with me in it. So it is light as it was claimed.

Weather was hot as ****, 3000da+ nearly 100* 60% humidity 700ft above sea level.

Pulling 10* timing on 110 race fuel and -8 plug. Too much? Judging by pictures I'd say I have room for at least a degree if not 2 more?

I also know what shock settings to use now and what it likes as far as nitrous activation set point and two step set point. It obviously is making more power with the two step set at 3600 instead of 3200 as it spun both passes with it set there, and I think with the front end settings the same as it was on the second nitrous pass that it will 60' even better.

Today I decided to check my nitrous filter and when I took it off and blew into it all kinds of shiny stuff flew out of it. I can shake it up and down and it sounds like sand in it??? I took it off for now and re attached the nitrous feed line.

I took my fuel solenoid apart, but wasn't able to get the tower out of the base, the damn thing is stuck in there and I don't have a vice. Not only that the holes at the base of the noid's tower after trying several times with the solenoid wrench kept coming out and slightly enlarging the holes making it impossible to stay in. I sprayed brake cleaner up inside of it and left it apart for several hours to dry. I remembered I had a spare -4 fitting and -4 line laying around and decided to upgrade my solenoid to plate fitting and line seeing as the outlet fitting on my noid was -3 and the line was -3. So it now has -4 fitting and -4 line from noid to plate.

When I did this I also realized that instead of having the 40f jet I thought I had in there I realized it was a damn 46f jet!!! So thinking of how hot is was yesterday along with too big a jet with too small a line makes me think that with the big jet that it was making it too rich especially at the bottom of the shifts extension where load is greatest and that the small line was becoming a restriction as rpm's rise so it was leaning out making the plugs not look rich. That's why having a wideband along with plugs is so important. Plugs only show an average and what the engine was seeing the last bit of the track. Wideband can show the whole way what the AFR was doing not just an average.

I am kinda at a cross roads. I would like to take it back out this thursday when it wont be so hot when the track is open from 5:30-10 and run it when it's cooler. I took the 82n nitrous jet out and the 46f jet out and put a 78n in a 38f in. I am also thinking that I might be running out of fuel pump(single walboro 255 and racetronix hotwire). I was thinking the smaller tune-up might not put as much of a strain on it. I do thought I remember reading somewhere that carter has a single 255 and stock injectors?

I have also been thinking for a while that my cam is all wrong and its starting to cause me problems with the bigger tune-ups. Here are the valve events for my cam and it's specs.

IVO-9.5
IVC-49.5
EVO-53.5
EVC-13.5
23* overlap
239*/247* .624"/.624" 110LSA 110ICL. I would like something like this....

IVO-10.5
IVC-48.5
EVO-66.0
EVC-8.0
overlap-18.5*
239/254 .624"/.595" 114lsa 109icl

Oh and here is a picture of my trusty tow vehicle. I got a/c and a radio lol!

I am hoping with the nano hooked up next time, cooler weather, more timing, leaner afr, bigger fuel line and fitting from outlet of fuel noid to plate, whatever was in that nitrous filter that I think shouldn't be there that it will run better. How much better I'm done speculating. It runs what it runs next time out. I honestly feel stuck.

Enjoy the pictures and video.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
I called you. You didn't call back. Didn't even know if you went.
I tried to call you, and you know there isn't any service down there and the call went dead after about 7 seconds.

I saw that you called at 3 something last night about 9 and knew why you called.

We will do it again.

What do you think about the plugs? Can I scan with your scanner without your computer?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone have any big jets local to NC?

I need a .93 jet. I have the fuel jet I'm sure I will need to go with it.

I was thinking about something last night.

I told Greg@FTI I was going to be shooting a 250-300 shot on this converter and that I wanted it to flash 6000rpm on the 300 shot and 5700-5800 with the 250. When my car ran so good on motor it was flashing 5900-6000.

I am starting to think that unless I hit this converter with more power it is going to keep giving me the same results. I am thinking if I hit it harder it will couple sooner, be more efficient, have less slip and thus create more e.t. and mph. I calculated slip last night and I am seeing 10-12% from the calculations I made this is in the 1/8th.

I have heard on YB.com a lot of times guys get tight stalls for big nitrous jets and when running a smaller jet they are wondering why it won't run like they thought it would. They then hit it with the jet they had it spec'd for and it came alive.

I think I need to man up and put the big carter01 sized jets in and see what happens.

I am confident on my plug reading ability and with how I am working the tune-ups to finally do this.

I would like to confirm what fuel pump Carter01 has first though. I could of sworn he said it was a walboro 255.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Fbody, what was your afr on thoes runs? what size main nitrous line are you running?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes carter and I both ran 255 with hot wire. I ran that up to a 103 jet and him to a 93 jet. Keep going at it, but it ain't the converter or camshaft that will make a huge difference I can tell you that at the size shot you are at. 10-12% at the 1/8 is actually pretty tight. Many are in the 14-16% range and 6-7% in the quarter. Just keep working on it and it will come around. Plugs need more timing
Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM
9 Second Club

1100psi bottle pressure ?

Get this tune perfect or damn close before you go up in jet size.
It will make the next jet up alot easier.

Cam is right and for 1/8th mile I wouldnt be scared to put 2* in it.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sick!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camscam02
Yes carter and I both ran 255 with hot wire. I ran that up to a 103 jet and him to a 93 jet. Keep going at it, but it ain't the converter or camshaft that will make a huge difference I can tell you that at the size shot you are at. 10-12% at the 1/8 is actually pretty tight. Many are in the 14-16% range and 6-7% in the quarter. Just keep working on it and it will come around. Plugs need more timing
I am pretty new to nitrous tuning, what are you seeing on the plug that would mean to add more timing? im trying to learn how to read plugs like you can.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
1100psi bottle pressure ?

Get this tune perfect or damn close before you go up in jet size.
It will make the next jet up alot easier.

Cam is right and for 1/8th mile I wouldnt be scared to put 2* in it.
I totally forgot about the bottle pressure part. Why 1100? Even though it is the 1/8 you are still going to have a larger pressure drop then start at 900-950? Plus it's harder in most scenarios to keep the bottle that hot and at that psi to be consistent with your tuneups
Old 06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by n2ols1cam
I am pretty new to nitrous tuning, what are you seeing on the plug that would mean to add more timing? im trying to learn how to read plugs like you can.
See how the strap is a strawish/ yellowish color.....when you start getting some heat on the plug that will turn a dark brownish color as of right now there is really no heat in the plug. If he were to put in a degree or two it would likely put a definitive mark on the tip of the strap.

Last edited by 10secZ28; 06-25-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 10secZ28
See how the strap is a strawish/ yellowish color.....when you start getting some heat on the plug that will turn a dark brownish color as of right now there is really no heat in the plug. If he were to put in a degree or two it would likely put a definitive mark on the tip of the strap.
Thank you for your response. Ohh i thought adding timing would only move the mark closer to the bend on the strap. i didnt know adding timing would change the color. I thought the color was changed by how lean the tune up is.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by n2ols1cam
Thank you for your response. Ohh i thought adding timing would only move the mark closer to the bend on the strap. i didnt know adding timing would change the color. I thought the color was changed by how lean the tune up is.
It will move the mark towards the bend, either will move the mark as afr/timing coincide with one another, if you move either up or down it will move the mark (advance timing, move mark toward the bend, lean out the mixture, move the mark toward the bend)
Old 06-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 10secZ28
It will move the mark towards the bend, either will move the mark as afr/timing coincide with one another, if you move either up or down it will move the mark (advance timing, move mark toward the bend, lean out the mixture, move the mark toward the bend)
Ok thanks for the info!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Like others have mentioned 1100lbs for bottle pressure is way too much.

I have found that running a low bottle pressure works much better and is way easier to duplicate, plus an added benefit is that the pressure doesn't fall as much during the course of a run. Next time you go to the track, put a nice fresh set of plugs in and make a pass at 900lbs bottle pressure. After the run (as usual) pull the plug, most likely it will be really rich. Depending on what the plug looks like take 1 jet size out and check again, repeat if necessary. Try this before you put more nitrous into it.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Awesome work fbodyjunkie, you'll get your goal! Especially when you get cooler weather and if you add nano it shou!d help a bunch

Quick Reply: My Stock shortblock/cubic inch cam-only entry:) 56k beware