Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone seen this mustang blow up on dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Has anyone seen this mustang blow up on dyno?

I believe this was a 150 shot.. Completely blows up intake manifold and intake pipe. Looks to have blown the throttle body off as well.. What the hell happened???

Video
Old 09-20-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We need a video!!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

he sprayed at about 2000rpms, that's what happened! the fuel puddles in the intake since it isn't getting sucked in as much at low rpms, and WHAM!!! It happened with that z06 a little while back also. This film/incident, however, is over a year old.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I was there in person when that happened, standing right next to the cameraman, who is the owner of the car. heres the story. He had a really bad dyno run earlier in the day due to him having low bottle PSI. So he turned on the heater and left it on for a long time while waiting to dyno again. he left it on so long that it killed the battery, I had to jump start him, lol. So anyway he finally gets on the dyno and well you saw what happened. What happened was the high bottle PSI as well as him having a bad tune, which was found out later on. I dont remember if they hit the nitrous too early, but I can tell you that the same guys at that shop have dynoed my car quite a few times and dont nail it till 3000 RPM's. His motor was fucked up, he had to get new valves as well as other internal stuff.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

So did the shop or whomever did the tune take some of the blame for this?

If I paid a tuner, and the motor fireballed because of it, I'd expect some new parts at my front door next week.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

i doubt it,

theres a sign at my local dyno, which basically boils down to, if it breaks, its not our fault
Old 09-21-2005, 06:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
i doubt it,

theres a sign at my local dyno, which basically boils down to, if it breaks, its not our fault
Figures. So a total idiot who mods cars has nothing to worry about.

Do a good job = get paid
Do a **** job = get paid
If **** blows up = no worries

Sounds like a perfect business for me!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Seeing **** like that makes me not want to even think about getting nitrous for my WS6.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Seeing **** like that makes me not want to even think about getting nitrous for my WS6.
I look at it this way. I'm going N20 for the 1st time after having my LS1 for 7 years. I am going to do every precaution available.

If my engine gets all blowed up, then it's time to rebuild and make a monster NA motor (after saving up the $$, which could take years). This way, I could at least say I gave it "shot"---> and will go back to being natural.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

LMAO yeah thats true, but damn if i saw some **** like that happen to my motor i would want to die. But then i'll create a motor that will seem un-natural.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

That sucks for the mustang guy! Dang, i would be so pissed............ The shops are pretty much off the hook if something were to go wrong they're not responsible.. I can understand that i guess, but there are ethical issues there that dont sit well with me.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Launching!

I know when I dynoed,you had to sign a waiver clearing them of all fault.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
So did the shop or whomever did the tune take some of the blame for this?

If I paid a tuner, and the motor fireballed because of it, I'd expect some new parts at my front door next week.
That shop that he dynoed did not do the tune, I think he got some mail order tune. That shop has a dyno day for cheap every month. Thats where we were. Highly doubt they paid him anything for it, performance mods come at a risk.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
There is not a damn thing dangerous about nitrous. You just need to know how to install it right and use it properly. ie.window switch, wot switchm, and knowing proper bottle PSI. Tons of people use nitrous with no issues. Its like anything out there, if you dont know what the **** you are doing, then chances are you will **** something up. Just be sure to read up on how to set it all up and use it. Funnt thing though about this, there was a guy that had a viper at that shop that got a nitrous install there, 250 direct port shot. He saw that cobra blow up and decided to have the shop take his nitrous kit out because that cobra scared him so much. He pretty much wasted lots of $$ having that shop do the install just to turn around and have them take it out, LOL. I think like a week or two after I saw that cobra blow up, I installed my kit ,lol.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brad8266
That shop that he dynoed did not do the tune, I think he got some mail order tune. That shop has a dyno day for cheap every month. Thats where we were. Highly doubt they paid him anything for it, performance mods come at a risk.
After doing this for 7 years, that much I do know. But if a tune is so bad, and it is determined that it fireballed the engine, I think that changes things.

But such is not the case, so he is S.O.L.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
After doing this for 7 years, that much I do know. But if a tune is so bad, and it is determined that it fireballed the engine, I think that changes things.

But such is not the case, so he is S.O.L.
Yeah, but you know how shops try to cover their asses. I would be pissed if I got fucked up tune and they didnt pay for the damage. Thats why I do my car **** myself, so if it breaks, then it is nobodys fault but my own.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reality of this is, wet kits blow manifolds; whereas dry kits do not, period. Does this happen every day, no, but does it happen, yes, with wet. For every video that catches an explosion, I estimate 500 do not get filmed.
Robert