Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys have against ZEX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys have against ZEX?

Seriously,

I don't understand what anyone has against ZEX. Everytime someone ask "What Kit" you all say "Don't go ZEX go NX" Be it that the NX may be a good kit because so many of you have it, how can you say the ZEX is bad because you don't have it? I don't understand.

I've read up on a lot of respsonses and noticed that everyone that has the ZEX kit likes it...so how can you not like it if you don't have it?

Nitrous is nitrous isn't it? I mean, wouldn't have more of an issue with the guy filling your bottle?

I have a standard Zex EFI kit and to be honest with you....granted I'm new at this I love it....It was easy to install...easy to hide and works really well. I don't think it sux one bit.

So give me your imput people...because nobody has ever really given a reason why don't like ZEX they just say they don't like it....and say "GO with NX"
Old 07-10-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

It is a good kit if you don't use it much and you are running a small shot. Otherwise, it just won't work.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if I'm correct, which I might not be, Zex first came out as a nitrous system for imports, not domestic vechicles. I see that they offer a LT1 kit, but nothing specific to LS1. This is probably a big reason people don't like it. Most would rather buy a kit designed for their specific application. That way you know it is made to work with your car & comes with every piece to needed for a LS1 application.

So far I have not seen Zex step up & design a LS1 specific design or kit. So basically you just gotta make their kit work on a LS1 if you even wanna use it. Kinda seems senseless when vendors on here offer kits made for our cars with cool extras that took some thought & design to be applicable to our cars.

Again this is just my .02
Old 07-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Well if I'm correct, which I might not be, Zex first came out as a nitrous system for imports, not domestic vechicles. I see that they offer a LT1 kit, but nothing specific to LS1. This is probably a big reason people don't like it. Most would rather buy a kit designed for their specific application. That way you know it is made to work with your car & comes with every piece to needed for a LS1 application.

So far I have not seen Zex step up & design a LS1 specific design or kit. So basically you just gotta make their kit work on a LS1 if you even wanna use it. Kinda seems senseless when vendors on here offer kits made for our cars with cool extras that took some thought & design to be applicable to our cars.

Again this is just my .02

Why do you need a specific kit for EFI motors? I mean a dry shot is a dry shot is a dry shot....all you need is the bottle....some lines...the module (Solenoids) and a jet and nozzle. That's it. You get down to a specific kit then that gives reason to increase the price....I mean mine came down from a damn civic and it works fine....as long as it's for EFI you don't need a specific kit. Infact I wouldn't want a specific kit because I hid all my lines anyway.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hocky
It is a good kit if you don't use it much and you are running a small shot. Otherwise, it just won't work.

What do you mean it just won't work?

You're showing me the insides of an old ZEX box...."OLD" being the right word. Solenoids on NX and NOS kits can go bad too.

People you're not being really specific here....

If you can get more hp from the same shot on a different kit other than ZEX dry for example....show me.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Launching!

I keep seeing the picture of what's in the Zex box being put forth as evidence to why they are bad kits. But all the picture shows me is the same basic solenoids that others use and a some fairly neat electronics that work as a relay and a TPS switch. Of course when you take it out of the box it was supposed to be in it no longer looks as good. But the same could be said for most things. Take a part a $300 controller and it is just a dinky little circuit board. But that is not an indicator of its quality. If I set solenoid with no labels on a table from different manufactures most people could not tell the difference. Most all solenoids come from one of two suppliers. So the outside of a solenoid does not really tell the whole story. Zex may not be the best choice for someone that want to push the limits of what nitrous can do but for the guy that wants an easy to install kit that can add a 100 or so more horse power they are a fine kit. And I wouldn't say there parts are lower quality than anyone else’s most all the nitrous companies’ offer good quality parts.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

personally, i can't stand purple lol
Old 07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by faust

LOL as sad as it is...this is probably the best explanation yet. Atleast you're honest.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by faust
I agree.

I would bet if it was packaged in other colors (say Red, Blue and Black), Zex would find it would sell more kits and gain in popularity. First impression of anything is how it looks. Regardless of how well it may or may not be put together.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Well lets start with the basics..

One of if not the MOST important aspects of your kit would be your solenoids right?

What is the biggest enemy of the solenoid functioning and lasting a long time?

HEAT

What does a metal box do with solenoids that heat up inside it?

Last edited by NitrousDirect; 07-10-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Very true and i do believe that i was looking at a LS1 specific zex kit last night on ebaY. Their showstopper purge kit is badass. Two fifteen foot clouds of led colored (red blue or geen i think) nitrous cant help but impress.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NitrousDirect

One of if not the MOST important aspect of your kit would be your solenoids right?

HEAT

What does a metal box do with solenoids the heat up?
Well if that's really the case why bother having the solenoids in the "Hot" engine bay?

I'm just playing devils advocate here...the reason is, I've never seen or heard anyone bitch about the solenoids being any better or worse than any other kit.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

When solenoids are crammed up in a box like zex's are, the ambient air is stagnant and soaked with heat.

When driving down the road, the ambient air inside the engine bay is not hot, it is actually quite cool (especially relative to an active solenoid coil), the air under the hood is relatively cool and most importantly is circulating throughout, which creates a cooling effect on the solenoid (just like it does on your radiator, engine block, transmission, intake, and everything else under the hood)

I personally don't use zex because their solenoids in their kits (even if they were outside of the box) do not provide enough flow. I also prefer to wire in and setup my own complete system.

As for the majority of LS1 owners, the lack of use could be attributed simple to the look of the system... it's obvious that the majority of LSx people with nitrous kits wants something very flashy and appealing to the eyes, NX fits the bill very well with its solenoids, brackets, and selection of fittings... which in turn increases the cost.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NitrousDirect

One of if not the MOST important aspect of your kit would be your solenoids right?

HEAT

What does a metal box do with solenoids the heat up?
They won't get any hotter than they would out of the box the only diffrence really is the amount of time it takes them to heat up and cool down. But the amount of heat generated by a solenoid under normal useage isn't high enough to make the slight heat sink effect of the box a matter to worry about.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

ive heard a few(very few) people say that the quality of components arent as good as other big name brands, but most people seem to have a problem with the coloring of some of the components and the fact that when the kit was introduced to the market it was mostly advertised to the import crowd; but from a marketing standpoint that makes sense because when ZEX was first brought to marked imports were a big market.
ZEX makes at least two ls1 kits that im aware of. people seem to forget about the direct port system for the FAST intakes.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Ive got zex I like it I spray a 100 shot whenever needed t does the job. But Im def ditching it when I upgrade t oa wet kit and going dynotune.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

most people on here are mechanical and would rather wire it how they want and dont want so purple box in their engine bay
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alpha Male
What do you mean it just won't work?

You're showing me the insides of an old ZEX box...."OLD" being the right word. Solenoids on NX and NOS kits can go bad too.

People you're not being really specific here....

If you can get more hp from the same shot on a different kit other than ZEX dry for example....show me.

That "OLD" zex unit was about 5 months old. The problem with the kit? The Nitrous solenoid doesn't even use a true -4 inlet... it ramps down to virtually nothing. The solenoids are VERY small... 1" diameter maybe. They are not capable of flowing serious shots and when they go back, you lose. There is no rebuilding the kit.

Like I said, if you want a kit for a small shot and relatively infrequent usage, go for it. It is quick, easy, and clean. Otherwise, the solenoids are not gonna flow enough or you'll burn them up and not be able to repair/replace them.

EDIT: That said, when I replaced my zex unit I did not go to another brand, I just moved up to zex EFI race solenoids which seem to be very nice units so far.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

I agree and I have zex all my friends have other kits and there kits blow mine out of the water.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alpha Male
....I mean mine came down from a damn civic and it works fine....as long as it's for EFI you don't need a specific kit. Infact I wouldn't want a specific kit because I hid all my lines anyway.
Mine came off a civic, kits don't have to be specific. But mine is NX

Quick Reply: What do you guys have against ZEX?