Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little rough idle in gear. now backfire with tr6's

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default little rough idle in gear. now backfire with tr6's

i got my wet kit hooked up but havnt shot it yet. im going to start with the 75 shot because i cant find the 50 jets. i have a fpss also. my car hasnt thrown a code, but when in gear can run a little rough. i really dont even see the rpms move. i dont know if its slight misfire or maybe the a/f. but it seems like since i put my TR6's in gaped at .38 it has not really a backfire, but more ecaust back pressure, and popping. what could this be? also the TR55's i pulled out looked white around the bend and almost up to the threads. isnt this a sign im lean? what should i do to fix these problems? im probably going to get it tuned but would like to fix anything in advance, and possibly test the system befor going. thanks. 01 A4 ws.6 with cut-out and lid.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Check your plug wires. Maybe when you pulled them off to change the plugs the wire got pulled back far enough to where it's not contacting the plug.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bombloader
Check your plug wires. Maybe when you pulled them off to change the plugs the wire got pulled back far enough to where it's not contacting the plug.
Wouldn't that throw a misfire code?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Teching In

You would think so. My buddy changed the plugs on his C5. He pulled a wire back just far enough to where it was making the plug spark intermittently. He had that exhaust "pop" until he fixed the wire.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onoiocoko
i got my wet kit hooked up but havnt shot it yet. im going to start with the 75 shot because i cant find the 50 jets. i have a fpss also. my car hasnt thrown a code, but when in gear can run a little rough. i really dont even see the rpms move. i dont know if its slight misfire or maybe the a/f. but it seems like since i put my TR6's in gaped at .38 it has not really a backfire, but more ecaust back pressure, and popping. what could this be? also the TR55's i pulled out looked white around the bend and almost up to the threads. isnt this a sign im lean? what should i do to fix these problems? im probably going to get it tuned but would like to fix anything in advance, and possibly test the system befor going. thanks. 01 A4 ws.6 with cut-out and lid.
My tr6's did the same and I had to go through each plug wire to check connection. I had 1 wire that was a tiny bit loose and was the cause of the problem.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Launching!

well it had a rougher idle before i changed it so any help with this would be appreciated. i also havnt changed the last plug that u have to get under the car for. when i change that maybe the backfire will go away. anything else on the idle?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

If you're going to change 7 plugs, change 8....

Also, you say it had a rough idle BEFORE the plug install? If so, then what difference did the plugs make in this post? Sorry, but I'm a bit confused...

-Will
Old 11-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Launching!

i changed the plugs only to install the nitrous. i had good plugs in. i changed 7 at the time because i didn't have a jack. i changed the last one of course by now. i thought the plugs were making it pop but i think its just some back pressure because of the cut-out. i think the only problem now is the slight rough idle.