Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Orygun guys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, just the one is "needed", but we're trying to decide on a cast stroker kit, or over boring it with the h-beams and knife edged crank we have. We think with sleeves we can get it up to about a 383 safely. But if it was that expensive, it's about a wash. I'll have to look into it further.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Well I wish I had a laptop then I would try it my self..lol.. That was a joke..yeah I see where you're coming from. It just sucks that you have to spend 4 to 500 bucks to just tune the damn thing. Well I guess it takes up the dyno also....awhhh!!!! I'll see how much Tom charges and probably just get it done there.. Thanks guys...

Oh by the way X-PIPE and true duels in the way to go.)
Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I can say from experience that tuning electronic fuel injection isn't exactly easy to do. If it were, then everybody would be doing it. With that being said, if you care to spend countless hours reading up on tuning it yourself, then you could just buy the tuning software and do it yourself for about the same price as a tuner shop charges for a dyno tune.

As for taking four hours to tune a car, kinda depends what all is being done. If all the customer wants is topend tuning at WOT, then yes, 45 minutes to an hour on a dyno would do it. The problem is that most people want it to idle nice and drive great at 5mph in a parking lot, and that is where the extra 3 hours is spent. Tuning WOT is pretty basic, tuning for good drivability is an art form.

Mike
Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DUDE.... just get a flippin mail order tune for $150! You just have boltons no need for a dyno tune. Your car would run waaay better
Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zlicious94
DUDE.... just get a flippin mail order tune for $150! You just have boltons no need for a dyno tune. Your car would run waaay better
mail order tunes were new to me until solomon hooked me up it makes a world difference
Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Ok i will check them out. Where did you guys get yours from?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

I tried pcm for less once, never again though. I was fouling plugs faster than you could believe, got it fixed now though. Starting to try to figure out this hp tuner stuff, got one heck of a learning curve to it though.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

That and you can buy all the tuning equipment + a used laptop for less than $500.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

PCM for less is where phill got his I just couldn't remember where he got it from. Wow that's weird cause he hasent had a problem with his as far as I know. So musicman when you get a hang of the HP tuners could you tune my car..lol..

So where can you get a laptop and tuning epuipment for less then 500?

Originally Posted by DBL_TKE
That and you can buy all the tuning equipment + a used laptop for less than $500.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

lol, I'm spooked enough to tune my own car, don't plan on tuning anything else soon. I miss my holley 4bbl and screwdriver
Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Ok i will check them out. Where did you guys get yours from?
lt1pcmtuning.com

Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

You get what you pay for with a mail order tune. I don't know of anyone that made close to the amount of power a dyno tune will get you. I've heard of many people have issues with mail order tunes. Plus keep in mind the down time while you send off your PCM and if it isn't right, you have to do it again even if they do it for free.

I believe Wong charges around $500 for tuning. I would also ask him about mail order tunes and how many he has had to fix.

And Mike is right that for WOT tune is 45 minutes and usually that is all you get with a mail order tune too.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wong qouted me about 450$ for a bolt on tune, i never did get the tune though.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Welcome to the party. Tell us more about your car.

Mike
well...

bought her about 2 years ago. she was bone stock except for a k&n cai and yes she had salad shooters ooo yeahhh

then i started reading and learning about lt1's thanks to these websitesand of course after i started reading ablout the water pump replacement and the notorious opti my water pump went out. so i decided to man up and do it myself i changed the water pump put in a msd pro billet opti msd wires and some plugs in here then after i was all done with that i drve it about another 100 miles after my water pump swap i was gettting compression in my cooling system and it kep blowing the bottom radiator hose off the radiator and this was becasuse when the pump went out im guessing it got just hot enough to have a small crack in the head gasket so then i dedided its time for an lt1 overhaul and i decided to park her in the garage and go from there...

i was gonna build a forged 355 with the cc503 and rebuilt stock heads and i have never built a motor before me being only 19 years old but thanks to HP books how to rebuild lt1/lt4 engines i learned real quick and of course thanks to my friend eric.

i had the motor completly torn apart and the machine work complete so then i started buying all the good stuff

speed pro foged pistons stock compression ratio
scat i beam forged rods
cut and polished stock crank
cleveite bearing and rings gapped for nitrous
cc503 cam
trickflow PR
comp cams beehive springs
comp cams ultra pro magnums RR 1.6 NSA
msd opti
pasecetter LT's & ORY

and yeah all kinds of goodies my never ending money bucket lol... then had my intial start up whcih went great and then pretty much from there got it tuned by solomon and got some 10 spoke SS wheels on it and actually just got her tinted last week

im bored at work and decided to write an essay lol
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lt1white_bird
well...

bought her about 2 years ago. she was bone stock except for a k&n cai and yes she had salad shooters ooo yeahhh

then i started reading and learning about lt1's thanks to these websitesand of course after i started reading ablout the water pump replacement and the notorious opti my water pump went out. so i decided to man up and do it myself i changed the water pump put in a msd pro billet opti msd wires and some plugs in here then after i was all done with that i drve it about another 100 miles after my water pump swap i was gettting compression in my cooling system and it kep blowing the bottom radiator hose off the radiator and this was becasuse when the pump went out im guessing it got just hot enough to have a small crack in the head gasket so then i dedided its time for an lt1 overhaul and i decided to park her in the garage and go from there...

i was gonna build a forged 355 with the cc503 and rebuilt stock heads and i have never built a motor before me being only 19 years old but thanks to HP books how to rebuild lt1/lt4 engines i learned real quick and of course thanks to my friend eric.

i had the motor completly torn apart and the machine work complete so then i started buying all the good stuff

speed pro foged pistons stock compression ratio
scat i beam forged rods
cut and polished stock crank
cleveite bearing and rings gapped for nitrous
cc503 cam
trickflow PR
comp cams beehive springs
comp cams ultra pro magnums RR 1.6 NSA
msd opti
pasecetter LT's & ORY

and yeah all kinds of goodies my never ending money bucket lol... then had my intial start up whcih went great and then pretty much from there got it tuned by solomon and got some 10 spoke SS wheels on it and actually just got her tinted last week

im bored at work and decided to write an essay lol
Sounds like a nice little engine you got there. Hit it with some juice and it'll be a beast. And do you mean CC305 cam?

You know what would look REALLY good on there,,,, some chrome ZR1 wheels. LOL...

Mike
Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Launching!

not the cc305 the cc503

and i was thinkin zr1's but i already got some TTII's on the way
Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

pcmforless is who I went through and my tune has been perfect for about 3 yrs now. $500 is just not worth a tune imo on a bolton only car. Tmoney do some research and see what bolton guys are doing in that situation. I have raced some tuned ls1's and some untuned and the tuned ones are no faster than the untuned

Last edited by zlicious94; 01-04-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Tmoney, this guy seems to be doing alot lsx mail order tuning and alot of people had great things to say about him!! TunedByFrost.com
Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Frost has a good reputation, we're going to use his dual ecu in a few customer cars.

I've had plenty of dyno tunes. If the person knows what they are doing it's 45 minutes for a good tune including partial throttle.

But that is the tuners experience and equiptment that cuts the time it takes so thats why I say just call it a flat rate and no one would question it.

If there is an issue with the car and something needs to be fixed then it takes longer obviously.

But once the car is strapped down I have never seen it take more than 1 hr to tune a n/a car. 10 minutes a tweak... 10 minutes a tweak... then WOT run lasts what 30 seconds? Maybe a few more tweaks and one more WOT run and its done.

Sounds over simplified but thats because a real good tuner makes it look that easy. Just call it a flat rate fee and make it simple I dont have problem with $450 for a dyno-tune. There is a lot of expensive equiptment involved..(shop over-head) and your paying for the tuners experience. Its fair
Old 01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Hey I checked out PCMforles and they are chargeing 250 now. Look at frost and it's only 125. So if I get the mail order tune I have to send in my PCM and they send it back? Or do they just send me one from there shop. Also still thinking about just doing the dyno tune....ahhh!!! I don't know...lol I just need my **** tuned bad.. Smells sooo bad!!!!..lol
Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think they can send you one pretuned and then when you get it you send your stock one back for a refundable core charge? Not for sure though that was an option thru pcmforless. DAM their prices have went way up I paid $175 a couple years ago!

Quick Reply: Orygun guys?