Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a low 11 trap speed to me
Old 08-01-2010, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by musicman
Pulling the motor back out of the Camaro tomorrow night, well, at least start. Need to get that crankshaft fixed from the flywheel coming loose twice now. Also have an ATI harmonic balancer in the mail to see if it'll kill some of the nasty harmonics this baby engine puts out, moreso now that my balance shaft is gone thanks to being forced to run a double roller chain to handle my valve springs. This build is going to be done right, solid straight through. But one weak link I can't afford to mend is this stupid 10 bolt. I'm going to be maxing out this g-force built T5 trans as it is power wise, lol. Need to finish this thing so I can woop on some of you v8 guys
Good luck with the build man. I just pulled my engine on Thursday. Got some things figured out with that and why it was doing certain things.

Mike
Old 08-01-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Good luck with the build man. I just pulled my engine on Thursday. Got some things figured out with that and why it was doing certain things.

Mike
so what exactly did you figure out?
Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
so what exactly did you figure out?
Quite a bit actually.

Problem #1 -My car has an LT1 style intake elbow just before the throttle body. Well that elbow used to have a large hole for a factory "air silencer" often referred to as the donkey dick because it hangs down behind the electric fans. I removed that thing about 8 years ago and plugged it with a piece of carbon fiber and some black RTV to seal it up. That thing was in there solid,,,,, or so I thought. I guess 8 years of pulling the intake off/on caused it to loosen up. Well,,,, I found it stuck in the #8 intake port in the cylinder head. Looks like it was stuck in between the valve and the seat because it was pretty chewed up. I'm 99% sure this happened at the track about 6-7 weeks ago when I felt it laying down on the topend.... So basically the car was trapping at 123.5mph on 7 cylinders...... That explains a lot...

Problem #2 -The car was puffing a bit of blue smoke. I thought it was because the piston rings were gapped larger for the nitrous I intended to use someday. After pulling the heads off, #5 combustion chamber was oily so I inspected it and found that the valve spring pocket broke through slightly into the intake runner port. This would be a direct passage for oil to get into the combustion chamber and explains the blue smoke. So I need to figure out how to fix the hole or buy another head and re-port it.

Problem #3 -Six of the eight intake valves were contacting the pistons. Not sure if the valves are bent yet but I'm suspecting they are. I checked PTV clearance when I assembled the engine, but unfortunately for me, I checked #1 cylinder and that piston relief was still in perfect shape of course..... Not sure if I was getting valve float or if the valve reliefs in the pistons just weren't quite large enough diameter for the 2.16" intake valve. Probably the latter.... I'll clearance the valve relief pockets and call it good but the six valves will probably need to be replaced.

Problem #4 -When I was pulling the engine I noticed that about half the bolts for the transmission were pretty loose. That's usually a sign of bad harmonics in the engine (ie: unusual vibrations). Once I got the engine out I inspected the ASP Underdrive pulley/balancer and the rubber ring has two cracks and the outer part can spin about 3/8-1/2" back and forth. Not good for trying to control harmonics. So that needs to be replaced as well......

On a brighter note, I'm pretty sure the piston rings are in good shape and the loss of compression is more than likely from the bent valves. I'd rather replace some valves than re-hone and re-ring the bottom end. Also pulled a connecting rod bearing cap and the bearing looked nearly perfect so I'm pretty sure the bottom end is doing good.

Mike
Old 08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Yeah that's what I was thinking..lol

Damn that's alot digging. Wow you sure do amaze me on how much you know mike

Quite a bit actually.

Problem #1 -My car has an LT1 style intake elbow just before the throttle body. Well that elbow used to have a large hole for a factory "air silencer" often referred to as the donkey dick because it hangs down behind the electric fans. I removed that thing about 8 years ago and plugged it with a piece of carbon fiber and some black RTV to seal it up. That thing was in there solid,,,,, or so I thought. I guess 8 years of pulling the intake off/on caused it to loosen up. Well,,,, I found it stuck in the #8 intake port in the cylinder head. Looks like it was stuck in between the valve and the seat because it was pretty chewed up. I'm 99% sure this happened at the track about 6-7 weeks ago when I felt it laying down on the topend.... So basically the car was trapping at 123.5mph on 7 cylinders...... That explains a lot...

Problem #2 -The car was puffing a bit of blue smoke. I thought it was because the piston rings were gapped larger for the nitrous I intended to use someday. After pulling the heads off, #5 combustion chamber was oily so I inspected it and found that the valve spring pocket broke through slightly into the intake runner port. This would be a direct passage for oil to get into the combustion chamber and explains the blue smoke. So I need to figure out how to fix the hole or buy another head and re-port it.

Problem #3 -Six of the eight intake valves were contacting the pistons. Not sure if the valves are bent yet but I'm suspecting they are. I checked PTV clearance when I assembled the engine, but unfortunately for me, I checked #1 cylinder and that piston relief was still in perfect shape of course..... Not sure if I was getting valve float or if the valve reliefs in the pistons just weren't quite large enough diameter for the 2.16" intake valve. Probably the latter.... I'll clearance the valve relief pockets and call it good but the six valves will probably need to be replaced.

Problem #4 -When I was pulling the engine I noticed that about half the bolts for the transmission were pretty loose. That's usually a sign of bad harmonics in the engine (ie: unusual vibrations). Once I got the engine out I inspected the ASP Underdrive pulley/balancer and the rubber ring has two cracks and the outer part can spin about 3/8-1/2" back and forth. Not good for trying to control harmonics. So that needs to be replaced as well......

On a brighter note, I'm pretty sure the piston rings are in good shape and the loss of compression is more than likely from the bent valves. I'd rather replace some valves than re-hone and re-ring the bottom end. Also pulled a connecting rod bearing cap and the bearing looked nearly perfect so I'm pretty sure the bottom end is doing good.

Mike
Old 08-01-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ I know huh!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

lol thats sweet mike so did the valves just kiss the pistons barely then?
do they make intake elbows that have that hole delete? thats sucks but at the same time its nice to see that its just top end stuff like you said!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Yeah that's what I was thinking..lol

Damn that's alot digging. Wow you sure do amaze me on how much you know mike
Originally Posted by zlicious94
^^ I know huh!
Thanks. I've been doing this stuff a long time.

Originally Posted by ls1whip
lol thats sweet mike so did the valves just kiss the pistons barely then?
do they make intake elbows that have that hole delete? thats sucks but at the same time its nice to see that its just top end stuff like you said!
Yeah, the valves just barely hit the pistons. I almost didn't notice it all but I felt the reliefs with my finger and it left a little ridge where they were hitting. It's literally probably a difference of maybe .002-.004".

They used to make an elbow without the hole, not sure if they still do or not. I could always buy a 90 degree rubber elbow but I'm always on a budget being out of work..... I've already filled that hole again and bolted it on with some nylock nuts. It will not happen again.

Mike
Old 08-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

That's good that it wont take a boat load of cash to get back out!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Banned

Thats great Mike. Glad to hear its not going to need a complete rebuild. But look at the bright side atleast 2 of the intake valves were working right...lol That sucks about the pulley, while an easy fix not the cheapest. Hope you get her back running soon.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

So I was on my way home sitting at a red light, the light turned green I got on it and went to about 5 mph over the speed limit. Got pulled over and got a 472$ ticket for speed racing my self!!!!! How the **** is that!!!! He said it falls under that cause I'm excessively getting on it. There was no one I was showing off for at all I was just doing it cause I put some of that sea foam in my car and just wanted to see if it was doing anything.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

wow that sucks bro! Sounds like you found yourself a real winner of a police officer. That's a hefty fine! Wonder if they will lower it at your court date???
Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Well he has no evidence on me doing it. No radar on how fast I was going and I'm sure there is no video of it cause he was pulling from the opposite side of the road. He said I was way ahead of everyone, of course I'm up to speed before they get to the other side of the intersection.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

****** pigs!! Sorry to hear that bro. They always ****** with the innocent people but everyday there are ***** swervin and drivin and texting but nope they dont get them Good ol uncle sam getttin their money
Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Well he has no evidence on me doing it. No radar on how fast I was going and I'm sure there is no video of it cause he was pulling from the opposite side of the road. He said I was way ahead of everyone, of course I'm up to speed before they get to the other side of the intersection.
That sucks. I've heard of a trick that you might want to try to get out of it but you'll need to take it to court to fight it. If the cop doesn't show up for the court hearing, then you don't pay a thing and it doesn't go on your driving record. Before the court date, call and change the date at the last minute (you'll need a good excuse though). Do that a couple times and the chances of the cop showing up to the court date the last time is very slim. Never tried this myself, but it could be worth a shot.

If the cop does show up, you'll still want to fight the ticket so be prepared. Try to write down every single detail you can remember about getting pulled over. Write down the make/model of other cars that were around, buildings, distances, where he pulled you over, how the conversation went, what you were wearing at the time etc... You'll want to try and confuse the cop and make him look like he can't remember much about the incident (another reason for postponing the court date). The more you can recall and the less he can recall the better chances you'll have of the judge ruling in your favor.

Just remember, the courts are there for OUR protection, not the cops protection. They are there to give a fair ruling and you have nothing to lose by going to court except maybe a minimal court fee.

Another option is hiring an attorney. I've heard that a good traffic attorney can get off speeding ticket type violations about 90% of the time.

Good luck buddy and keep us updated.

Mike
Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Just got back from getting the car off the dyno and fixing the speedo for the 4.10 gears. Lost about 6rwh but gained about that on the torque numbers from the gears. Putting together a head and cam package now. Decided the time/money spent on just the cam alone wouldn't be worth another 30-40 hp so I'm going to swap on some 5.3L heads at the same time.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Yeah thanks mike. I have wrote eveythjng down to help my self. one guy told to tell the judge is, what the limit in how fast you can get up to speed? I never spun a tire doing this eathier. So I thunk I have a good chance on beating this. I'll keep you guys updated for sure.

Todd that's awsome bro
That sucks. I've heard of a trick that you might want to try to get out of it but you'll need to take it to court to fight it. If the cop doesn't show up for the court hearing, then you don't pay a thing and it doesn't go on your driving record. Before the court date, call and change the date at the last minute (you'll need a good excuse though). Do that a couple times and the chances of the cop showing up to the court date the last time is very slim. Never tried this myself, but it could be worth a shot.

If the cop does show up, you'll still want to fight the ticket so be prepared. Try to write down every single detail you can remember about getting pulled over. Write down the make/model of other cars that were around, buildings, distances, where he pulled you over, how the conversation went, what you were wearing at the time etc... You'll want to try and confuse the cop and make him look like he can't remember much about the incident (another reason for postponing the court date). The more you can recall and the less he can recall the better chances you'll have of the judge ruling in your favor.

Just remember, the courts are there for OUR protection, not the cops protection. They are there to give a fair ruling and you have nothing to lose by going to court except maybe a minimal court fee.

Another option is hiring an attorney. I've heard that a good traffic attorney can get off speeding ticket type violations about 90% of the time.

Good luck buddy and keep us updated.

Mike
Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

There goes that LS6 intake and ported TB you were gonna buy from me Tyler!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Well not yet bro! Not yet!.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a two similar incidents. I did not get a ticket for one but he said I was speed racing. I spun through first and second and he tought I just had revved my engine because of how quick those gears go. the other time I was next to a peicer and revved up to like 4k and shifted and the cop said because he could hear my exhaust with the windows up he thought I was speed racing. good luck with it tyler.

Quick Reply: Orygun guys?