Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Orygun guys?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zlicious94
Ya they are pretty unreliable thats for sure but the good thing is this is the 4th full summer I have pounded on my car and its held up so Im proud of it!! Gonna start the teardown soon! Decided on a forged 383! So should be fun I will keep everyone posted!!
That 383 should rock pretty good man.

Mike
Old 09-16-2009, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02SunsetZ
Hey it was nice meeting some new people at the track Sat. night. I made a few motor runs but was off my normal times by .2 or so. Ran 12.80 on motor. Got my one hero pass in at the end of the night. 11.42 @120 w/ 1.66 60'. That was on a 100 shot. I think its got more in it cause I kinda rolled into the throttle off the line. My nitrous is setup with a WOT switch so it isn't on unless you're at WOT. Also I don't think I purged it long enough.

Anyway, found a nice shop here in Tualatin that does race chassis. They'll be buildin me a rollbar probably this winter. I think they can handle it, they do Top Alcohol and Top Fueler chassis. Pretty cheap too.

Mike good job, sounds like our tie strap fix worked. Everyone else, nice cars and did I notice that we all had TDs...sweet. Hope to go racin with you guys again sometime soon....Just noticed that both of my PRs are out of date, have to change that soon.

Eric
Do you know what your bottle pressure was on that last nitrous run? Just curious if bottle pressure had anything to do with running quicker this last time out.

Cool deal on the rollbar. Have you decided on the swingout door bars?

I'm headed out there again this coming Friday if it's not raining. I made some changes to the suspension this week and I have a real good feeling about dropping the ET's some more.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 09-17-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey mike is it pretty easy adjusting your suspension or is it a PITA?. And phill, good luck on the 383!! That's going to be sick! Got any ideas on a rear end?. Elliot, how come you haven't gone to the track yet u still working on it?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Hey mike is it pretty easy adjusting your suspension or is it a PITA?. And phill, good luck on the 383!! That's going to be sick! Got any ideas on a rear end?. Elliot, how come you haven't gone to the track yet u still working on it?
Honestly, it's a pain in the *** and it's been a ton of research and work. It helps to have video of the rear suspension so I can see what the chassis/suspension is doing, then make the changes to counter the problem. Part of the problem is that my car is so low, which changes all the suspension geometry from what "most" racers are running. This next time out should be good though. I'm feeling good about the adjustments I've made. I'm going to predict a mid/high 1.6x 60' time even with no track prep.

Mike
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Hey Mike. My bottle pressure sits around 1050psi with the heater on. I don't know what it is down track because the guage is on the bottle and I can't see it without being a contortionist. I'm pretty pleased with the run but was hopin for a little more. Just need some more runs to see if thats all its got or if I have an issue.

I'm gonna go with dual swingouts. My girlfriend bitched cause I told her she would have to climb over to ride in my car . The shop quoted me 1050 for a moly 8 point with 1 swingout. If I'm reading the quote right it would only be another 50 bucks to add another swingout. I haven't decided if I'm gonna paint it, powdercoat it or leave it bare. Decisions, decisions.

Let us know how she runs friday.

Eric
Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Hey Mike. My bottle pressure sits around 1050psi with the heater on. I don't know what it is down track because the guage is on the bottle and I can't see it without being a contortionist. I'm pretty pleased with the run but was hopin for a little more. Just need some more runs to see if thats all its got or if I have an issue.

I'm gonna go with dual swingouts. My girlfriend bitched cause I told her she would have to climb over to ride in my car . The shop quoted me 1050 for a moly 8 point with 1 swingout. If I'm reading the quote right it would only be another 50 bucks to add another swingout. I haven't decided if I'm gonna paint it, powdercoat it or leave it bare. Decisions, decisions.

Let us know how she runs friday.

Eric
Def go with dual swingouts man. Especially if it's only 50.00 more for the ps.

Will do on letting you all know how it runs. I'm now having some doubts about the changes I made to the suspension. From what it sounds like, I need some drag shocks in the front to get the car to transfer the weight quicker. The stiff valved Billstiens in the front are killing my weight transfer which is crucial for a M6 car to launch effectively. Oh well, I'll find out tonight I guess.

Mike
Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Def go with dual swingouts man. Especially if it's only 50.00 more for the ps.

Will do on letting you all know how it runs. I'm now having some doubts about the changes I made to the suspension. From what it sounds like, I need some drag shocks in the front to get the car to transfer the weight quicker. The stiff valved Billstiens in the front are killing my weight transfer which is crucial for a M6 car to launch effectively. Oh well, I'll find out tonight I guess.

Mike
Looks like its time for the qa1's heh Mike! Once you get that thing in drag race mode, its 10's for sure!! You plan on changing your springs at all too? And what springs would you use for drag setup?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like its time for the qa1's heh Mike! Once you get that thing in drag race mode, its 10's for sure!! You plan on changing your springs at all too? And what springs would you use for drag setup?
Yes, QA1's or Strange drag shocks, both work well and both are spendy lol... I wonder if Brandon wants to sell me his front QA1's to help pay for his 9". If you all are wondering how Brandon cuts mid 1.8 60' times with a 6sp and regular ol' radial street tires, there's your answer,,,, QA1's at all four corners and maybe a bit a driver skill too lol...

I want to keep the springs that are in it now and take the car as far as I can with them. I absolutely HATE the 4x4 look of stock springs. It's a tougher road to follow using lowered springs, but the car will look better doing it lol.... I guess I'm just stubborn that way.... The way I see it now, the car really needs 4 things in this order:

-Better Track Prep (ie: VHT)
-Front Drag Shocks
-Rear Drag Race Sway Bar to keep the car level
-2-step Rev Limiter to dial in the launch RPM

After those first three items are added, it's almost guaranteed to run a high 10 sec 1/4 IMO. The 2-step is more of a "want" than a "needed" item. The car has the power, just need that infamous traction to get there.

Mike
Old 09-18-2009, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys. To do a cam swap do I have to take off the heads? And if I do is there a way around that, if not then I think I will wait and get some good heads and do it all togethere.. Mike I bet u get a 11.1 tonight at about 8pm when the sun is gone. And I will be watching u on the PC as well. good luck
Old 09-18-2009, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Hey guys. To do a cam swap do I have to take off the heads? And if I do is there a way around that, if not then I think I will wait and get some good heads and do it all togethere.. Mike I bet u get a 11.1 tonight at about 8pm when the sun is gone. And I will be watching u on the PC as well. good luck
Thanks man, I hope so.

You "can" do a cam swap without pulling the heads, but you risk dropping a lifter into the engine. The rule of thumb used to be, if the engine had less than 40k miles it was a safe bet that the lifter cups would hold the lifters in place without falling out. All you do is pull the timing chain off, pull the rockers off the heads, then rotate the cam a couple times which pushed the lifters up out of the way so you're able to pull the cam out. I think there is another way to hold the lifters up also, using some dowels? Do a search on that and you'll come up with some alternative methods but I've never tried them myself.

Mike
Old 09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Ok sweet thanks mike. And the lifters do not stay in place. Lol.. U will get t tonight the force is with you.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Well, no 10 sec slip yet but I did make some good progress with the car. Cody came out and gave me some really good advice and helped line me up in the good spots on the track last night. Thanks buddy!

The good news is that the tires aren't being hit nearly as violently as they were before. The bad news is that the car really needs some front drag shocks to get the weight transfer it needs. If the car wasn't lowered, it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Ran a new PB of 11.25 on a 1.71 short time. I did have one 60' time in the 1.68, but that run was aborted after missing 3rd gear. That might have been an 11.1X ?

Overall it was a good night, didn't break anything, car ran flawlessly and I drove her home afterward.

Mike
Old 09-19-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

The car is looking better on launch, but you will get it to improve. Too bad on those missed shifts. With that one good launch I think it would have been around 11.19 or 11.20 pass. The track was terrible. They did a good job with spraying the VHT on, but with all the bald spots, it was hard to find good rubber to launch from. I think your best combination will be 12-13 lbs in the tires and 12 in the bag.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Godd job on the PB mike!! Hey, so when u get the suspension dialed in, is it set for good or will u have to mess with it when you try for 10s?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
The car is looking better on launch, but you will get it to improve. Too bad on those missed shifts. With that one good launch I think it would have been around 11.19 or 11.20 pass. The track was terrible. They did a good job with spraying the VHT on, but with all the bald spots, it was hard to find good rubber to launch from. I think your best combination will be 12-13 lbs in the tires and 12 in the bag.
I reviewed the vids from last night and the car is not hitting the tires nearly as violent as it was the previous weekend and it's not squatting at all, which is also good. I'm still not convinced about using the air bag at all. My best 60's were without any air in the bag at all.....

Mike
Old 09-19-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Well, no 10 sec slip yet but I did make some good progress with the car. Cody came out and gave me some really good advice and helped line me up in the good spots on the track last night. Thanks buddy!

The good news is that the tires aren't being hit nearly as violently as they were before. The bad news is that the car really needs some front drag shocks to get the weight transfer it needs. If the car wasn't lowered, it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Ran a new PB of 11.25 on a 1.71 short time. I did have one 60' time in the 1.68, but that run was aborted after missing 3rd gear. That might have been an 11.1X ?

Overall it was a good night, didn't break anything, car ran flawlessly and I drove her home afterward.

Mike
Nice work Mike! Gettin closer and closer thats gotta feel good! Bummer bout that misshift that would have been a sweet run but anyway looks like your gettin into groove with that beast. 10's before years end!!
Old 09-19-2009, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Godd job on the PB mike!! Hey, so when u get the suspension dialed in, is it set for good or will u have to mess with it when you try for 10s?
Shouldn't need to change much, but the track conditions will vary throughout each night. Once I get some front drag shocks, that will help alot, and will give the car much more "tunability" with the suspension. It will also be something I can adjust easily during a night of racing.

Mike
Old 09-19-2009, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Nice work Mike! Gettin closer and closer thats gotta feel good! Bummer bout that misshift that would have been a sweet run but anyway looks like your gettin into groove with that beast. 10's before years end!!
Thanks man. I'm working on it as best I can lol....

Mike
Old 09-19-2009, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Oh I see. Probably alot easier to adjust when u have those skinnies on the front. You should try coming down this way to woodburn I hear there track is way better then PIR, but that's all hear say. I know it's kinda far but who u could run and say, I got my 10second slip..
Old 09-19-2009, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Hey it was nice meeting some new people at the track Sat. night. I made a few motor runs but was off my normal times by .2 or so. Ran 12.80 on motor. Got my one hero pass in at the end of the night. 11.42 @120 w/ 1.66 60'. That was on a 100 shot. I think its got more in it cause I kinda rolled into the throttle off the line. My nitrous is setup with a WOT switch so it isn't on unless you're at WOT. Also I don't think I purged it long enough.

Anyway, found a nice shop here in Tualatin that does race chassis. They'll be buildin me a rollbar probably this winter. I think they can handle it, they do Top Alcohol and Top Fueler chassis. Pretty cheap too.

Mike good job, sounds like our tie strap fix worked. Everyone else, nice cars and did I notice that we all had TDs...sweet. Hope to go racin with you guys again sometime soon....Just noticed that both of my PRs are out of date, have to change that soon.

Eric
Are u a A4? if so are u running a stall?

Quick Reply: Orygun guys?