Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Orygun guys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had the time to work on my car more often. With a full time job, 2 kids, a cat and dog and wife, time gets eatten up real fast.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Well all I have to say is when you're working on your car, make sure you replace the stuff around it even if you don't think you need to. Or you'll just end up like me and replacing the slave when I should of done it when I put my damn clutch in...
Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Nice build up. Your build sounds a lot like my car, except mines black and already built, well, for the most part. I run at PIR when funds allow. Did you have an ad on Craigslist awhile back wanting to trade work for car parts and fabrication?

Here's mine:
97 Z28 6sp
Forged 370 LS
Comp Cam
BMR Kmember
Ported L92 heads
Ported L76 manifold
90mm NW TB
Quick Shift Performance Built T56
8 Pt Rollcage
Narrowed 9" Rear w/4.30's
28x10.50's MT ET Drags

Here's some motivation for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWJczGEm80E

If things go well (financially), I'd like to get the car into the 10's N/A this year without spraying it.

Mike
Yes, That was my ad on C.L.

I was amazed at how many responses I actually got.

Getting ready to drop motor in my car next weekend
Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1whip
soooo sayyyy i bought a e39 M5 and sold the ss would you all hate me? lol 5L V8 it has Dinan CAI's and Dinan exhaust already should be about 425 horsies
BMW's are like boats:

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Honestly, Brenda's mom has a 535 and that thing is the biggest hunk of ****. It's in the shop more than it's on the road. I have NO idea why she hangs onto it. She's put well over $7k into shop repairs in the last 2 years alone, mostly electrical issues.

The only way I'd own a BMW is if it had an LS swap..... hint hint....

Mike
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to convince Kerry to sell her Z4 while it's still in good shape and has low miles. Suggested the CTS-V but she said it looked like something an old fart would drive. She wants something like a newer Range Rover. Woman and the expensive SUV's.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Have her drive a CTS-V and then tell us if it's ok for a young adult to drive.

Updated list

Old 04-11-2011, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

well guys i do appreciate all of the input and advice some strong feelings across the board lol i love it! your all a buncha racists jk!
I have been eying e39 m5's for about 2 years i have been in love with them since they came out it is the corner stone of a 4 door saloon until the newest ctsv came out there was nothing out that could touch a m5 in the sedan world since they came out in the 80's. One thing you need to know about a M series car is that it is basically nothing like its platform brothers... the motors the suspension not just shocks but from a arms out usually is different the differential the transmission for the most part and interiors are different the Germans put alot of thought into their flag ships and honestly e39 m5's have a really good track record and are actually really reliable. you will find that with any car if your rich or poor, people will often treat nice cars the same alot of times the nicer cars get beat up worse some times with out the owner knowing cause the owners think they are just built better and thought thats what they paid for a maintenance free car.. and they get neglected not to say bmw's don't have problems they do have some electrical issues alot of times but mechanically speaking they aren't that bad and a M is even better.

i would never buy a VW or Audi ever, now there is a German car that is really a pain to work on and have lottsssss of problems its night and day working on a dub or Audi. Mercedes and Bmw have a better layout personally. I have worked on all 4 and benz and bmw may have lotsa bolts mabey they are over designed lol.

As far as price for maintenance being a tech and having know how and a discount really makes my car choices more tangible, and i love working on cars and enjoy a challenge they take more time but the fundamentals of how they work is the same as any other car they just have more layers and stuff going on. when you have more stuff going on more stuff has a potential of going wrong i would say for how much they offer bmw's are a pretty good car and a M seems to have even less issues. my buddy works at dyna sport and they specialize in bmw and mini and he has never had any major issues with his m3 and they have not seen many problems with well taken care of M cars.

I have heard they have some electrical gremlins and some rare Vanos failures also some normal bushings that go out but other than that also the clutch is under rated for the car to gain better drive ability and a 7 series clutch is beefier and they make conversion kits for that swap. as far as Mpg they do a little worse than my car in day to day driving. I drive a 70 C10 every day lol so anything is better than 8-10mpg the only down side is performance goodies are pretty spendy but handling goodies are what im looking into and they are not that bad. the intake and exhaust on that M5 is prolly about 2g's right there id prolly not do much else to it as it sits i just want a really nice car to drive occasionally and take people with me and stuff.

I like ctsv's and z06's but only the newer gen ones which are too much$$ right now for me not big on c5's and the first gen V they are cool but the fit and finish and overall comfort is 2nd to none in a bmw vs them. Dont get me wrong I will still own and have owned more chevy Iron than most guys will in there lives lol there is always gonna be a BowTie in my garage!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ Thats alot to read
Old 04-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

it's the 850i that has the better clutch, no 7 series stateside has ever been offered with a manual tranny.

go fast parts - suspension included is just laughably expensive for the m5 - the cheapest thing to bolt onto them is the super charger kit and thats a solid 100 ponies but other than that it's just stupid expensive. It's why I sold mine and did the swap - I wanted a car I could AFFORD to track, as in I wouldn't have to carry track day insurance on it every day and could actually walk away from it without killing my bank account - can't do that with an e39 and the parts are ALL BMW only - there is very little aftermarket for the e39 m5's and it's all $$$.

Don't go diving into an e39 expecting to be able to bolt on suspension parts, some intake/headers/exhaust and go off into the sunset - you'll be backordering parts, waiting for them to come from bmw germany, paying 2k for basic suspension, 2k for headers, 2k for exhaust, etc - you can be easily 10k into the car and just have covered the basics and be making MAYBE 50 more ponies than stock.

you're right though - the two biggest failings of the e39 are the clutch, replace it with the v12 setup and the front brakes - stock front brakes on a four THOUSAND pound halo car and they are single piston, YAWN - they suck. it's 2500 bucks for a new set of fronts...
Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yo guys!!! So tell me this ************ doesnt look familiar!!! They got that dude chasin the girls in the burger king parking lot for sex trafficing and assault with a weapon on those girls!!

http://www.pdxmugshots.com/mug/tony-nathan-pickens
Old 04-12-2011, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tongboy
it's the 850i that has the better clutch, no 7 series stateside has ever been offered with a manual tranny.

go fast parts - suspension included is just laughably expensive for the m5 - the cheapest thing to bolt onto them is the super charger kit and thats a solid 100 ponies but other than that it's just stupid expensive. It's why I sold mine and did the swap - I wanted a car I could AFFORD to track, as in I wouldn't have to carry track day insurance on it every day and could actually walk away from it without killing my bank account - can't do that with an e39 and the parts are ALL BMW only - there is very little aftermarket for the e39 m5's and it's all $$$.

Don't go diving into an e39 expecting to be able to bolt on suspension parts, some intake/headers/exhaust and go off into the sunset - you'll be backordering parts, waiting for them to come from bmw germany, paying 2k for basic suspension, 2k for headers, 2k for exhaust, etc - you can be easily 10k into the car and just have covered the basics and be making MAYBE 50 more ponies than stock.

you're right though - the two biggest failings of the e39 are the clutch, replace it with the v12 setup and the front brakes - stock front brakes on a four THOUSAND pound halo car and they are single piston, YAWN - they suck. it's 2500 bucks for a new set of fronts...

BAHH! your right sorry i ment 8 series.. thanks for the heads up so you sold yours then to build your e36 M thats a good reason tho price for fun i could never beat a m5 up at the track constantly id be a puss! As far as what the car has on it i wouldn't do anything performance wise thats kinda where i was leaning that it has some goodies already on it like the exhaust and intakes as far as souping up yeah your soo right engine stuff is sooo expensive i mean cams and head work 6-7k for 50hp? no thanks the super charger is a bargan at around 5k lol which is compairable to a Ls charger. brakes are $ i have seen 2800 for a 6piston Brembo setup for the front but other suspension stuff is a pretty fair price for what it is its all top notch stuff is what i like if i have to wait on stuff thats ok i am used to a rig being parked while im working on it i hate bmw's and there rotors you cant turn them! so thats monay too lol but i wouldn't go just crazy on it, i like it as it sits it actually has springs on it when i looked at it. in the end i would just like a really nice sedan that hauls ***** and is nice to drive is it true the handling makes it seem alot smaller than 2 tons? lol my buddy ben and his boss at dynasport are building a e30 race car for the e30 northwest series i forget what its called pro3 or something? i love what you did with yours have you raced it yet?

Last edited by ls1whip; 04-12-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zlicious94
yo guys!!! So tell me this ************ doesnt look familiar!!! They got that dude chasin the girls in the burger king parking lot for sex trafficing and assault with a weapon on those girls!!

dude thats him!

ps tong i found quite a bit of aftermarket stuff non bmw for the e39 m5's dinan Acscnitzer remus and ishh are house hold names but there is quite abit of stuff out there i found 4 dif brands that have front brakes for the car, and suspension is your basic H&R koni and bilstein and kw i found some more odd ball smaller people that carry like sway bars and strut braces and that junk

Last edited by ls1whip; 04-12-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think thata about enough rediculously long posts
Old 04-12-2011, 01:00 AM
12 Second Club

^^^ still using your phone eh?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
I think thata about enough rediculously long posts
hey man just pumped up is alll gimme a brake hahha
Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its all good man, ive never seen so many loooooong *** posts in a row like that lol
Old 04-12-2011, 03:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes tyler, my phone is still my sole means of getting on tech lol
Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zlicious94
Yo guys!!! So tell me this ************ doesnt look familiar!!! They got that dude chasin the girls in the burger king parking lot for sex trafficing and assault with a weapon on those girls!!

LMAO! Yup, that's the guy. Awesome. Glad to see that POS got cuffed and stuffed.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

What? How do you guys know him? Did he show up un-announced to one of todd's sex parties?

Quick Reply: Orygun guys?