Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Need big catch can for -12an fitting

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need big catch can for -12an fitting

Anyone know where I can get a good size catch can to plumb big fittings into? My AMW isnt going to be big enough, and will be for sale by the way.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, here's the one I likely will get and there is a group purchase right now.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=20
Robert
Old 07-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned

Thnx for the link
What seperates the oil from the air in that can? It looks like its just a can with two fittings and a breather on top.
I'm looking at one on jegs
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_537854_-1
or the Moroso
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_57836_-1

I need to call Jegs on monday during normal busjiness hours to discuss with a tech the design of the Jegs can. It loooks like a pass thru as well, I want to know what seperates the oil in their can. The Moroso can says its a seperator.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

It has a machined swirl pattern, and if ya want a baffle they will add one. catch can, seperator, baffle, swirl they all do about the same, help the motor breath. The one I linked is for big nitrous and boost which both like to push some oil. You don't have to have it plumbed back into your intake, but some fumes may be smelled.
Robert
Old 07-07-2007, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
What seperates the oil from the air in that can? It looks like its just a can with two fittings and a breather on top.
Gravity does. The oil/air enters the can from one hole at the top, the oil falls into the bottom of the can, then the air moves through the next tube. The oil can't pass through to the next hole/tube until the can fills up with oil.

You can easily make one yourself if you wanted.

Mike
Old 07-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned

I'm trying to copy see5's setup. That billet can looks nice but it's just a little more than I want to spend. The can I have now has a cylinder inside a cylinder and a filter to help with the seperation but it wont support the big fittings. Might go with the jegs can. Its cheapest and doesnt look to bad. I'm pushing a lot of oil thru my 3/8's line to the catch can so hopefull the 3/4 line will allow the air to escape better. Going to run a restricted line back to intake and of course have the filtered vent.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are ever up in the Tacoma area you can try Williams off of South tacoma way (about a mile or so past the tdome
Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

How much do you want for the AMW? I've been looking into getting one. If it's reasonably priced I will take it off your hands.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm trying to copy see5's setup. That billet can looks nice but it's just a little more than I want to spend. The can I have now has a cylinder inside a cylinder and a filter to help with the seperation but it wont support the big fittings. Might go with the jegs can. Its cheapest and doesnt look to bad. I'm pushing a lot of oil thru my 3/8's line to the catch can so hopefull the 3/4 line will allow the air to escape better. Going to run a restricted line back to intake and of course have the filtered vent.
Yea, the jegs set-up is a deal, now I am looking at it. I want the big line also, and not sure yet if I am going back to the intake or not. Really the only reason would be to satisfy the tree huggers, though I am not to far removed. The first motor I had used a tube over the back of the block for blow by, no pcv in them year smallblocks, but man did they stink with a loose motor.
Robert
Old 07-08-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have a carbon fiber one that fairly large. Twin breathers on it and orginally made for a dry sump system. Entire thing weighs probably about 1 pound. How much are you looking to spend?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Banned

The jegs unit is only 75 plus 10 for handling so it will be $85 is my guess. I'll probably go with it Boyce as its already plumbed with my size fitting. Unless yours is the same and you want the $85, then I'll glady take a look at it and pay you instead of Jegs.

Doug I think I paid like $90 for the AMW a few years ago (its red) when they were a spnsor. I'll let it go for $50 sound ok? I'll use it on my rear-end otherwise, it needs a catch can and breather as well as I think about it. But I can get a real small one for like $25 to do the job.

Robert the whole idea of the line going back to the intake was to prevent huffing I thought, or at least thats what I gathered from see5. I've got a tiny line to go back in so I dont think oil will get thru but I might run an inline clear filter to see if anything does travel up the line. I'm really sick of oil in the intake.

I had my billet oil cap drilled an tapped to a -12 an fitting and I'm venting from there. If I still have to much pressure I'll have to look at the drivers side valve cover and add another line from there. I went with Summits new twist-lock fittings and hose. They were about the only ones in the -12 an size and reasonably priced. The hose is NHRA approved.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

I use a Moroso can in my blown C4. It uses a 12AN and its cheap.
http://moroso.com/catalog/categorydi...?catcode=13400
Old 07-08-2007, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

The jegs unit is only 75 plus 10 for handling so it will be $85 is my guess. I'll probably go with it Boyce as its already plumbed with my size fitting. Unless yours is the same and you want the $85, then I'll glady take a look at it and pay you instead of Jegs.

Doug I think I paid like $90 for the AMW a few years ago (its red) when they were a spnsor. I'll let it go for $50 sound ok? I'll use it on my rear-end otherwise, it needs a catch can and breather as well as I think about it. But I can get a real small one for like $25 to do the job.

Robert the whole idea of the line going back to the intake was to prevent huffing I thought, or at least thats what I gathered from see5. I've got a tiny line to go back in so I dont think oil will get thru but I might run an inline clear filter to see if anything does travel up the line. I'm really sick of oil in the intake.

I had my billet oil cap drilled an tapped to a -12 an fitting and I'm venting from there. If I still have to much pressure I'll have to look at the drivers side valve cover and add another line from there. I went with Summits new twist-lock fittings and hose. They were about the only ones in the -12 an size and reasonably priced. The hose is NHRA approved.
That sounds good to me. Send me a PM with your info. and we can work out the details.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Blanco, I am not sure I understand how you will plumb it. Are you saying a small line from catch can back to intake, like a pcv? If so, your just going to be basically pulling air through the filter. Some guys are leaving the pcv hooked up as per normal and running it through a catch can of it's own, like the one you have allready. So, you have a 10/12 an from each valve cover at the rear to a big catch can, good for pushing oil issues and keeping it out of the intake. Then you have you pcv running through it's own dedicated catch can, smaller, this will help keep the fumes down in daily driving, but you may still get a tad bit of oil into the intake.
Robert
Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Banned

Yep what I've done was eliminate the pcv altogether. I havent run a line for the drivers side valve cover yet and I'll wait and see how it goes. The pcv was from the valley pan to the intake as I had removed everything else already. I had one line from the passenger side valve cover that went to the TB. It was pushing oil onto my tb blade. SO I'm pluging the valley pan and going to just use the oil cap now to vent all the crankcase pressure. The small restricted line to intake is to let it breath I guess and it supposed to prevent huffing and getting fumes. I'm not convinced the pcv was actually keeping oil from getting to the intake. My ls1 and ls6 intakes and former heads showed plenty of oil getting through so I'm not letting any oil into the system at all for the new heads and intake.

IF I have to I'll run hoses to remote breathers and just vent to atmosphere completely..lol
Old 07-08-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is mine.

It would have more than likely been over kill for your application. Its a fairly large piece.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Banned

Thats a nice peice, but it is kind of large.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned

Should have gone with the jegs can, went with the moroso and it only has one fitting. Had two in the picture I'll need to drill and tap it for the small line to intake
Old 07-13-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

get someone from the Tacoma area to go down to williams off of south tacoma way, they do have that kind of fittings since they also do tractors & such like that,
I had them build my fuel lines
Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Or you can go to Timco on the tide flats, ask for Rory and tell him Robert from Nordlund sent ya.
Robert

Quick Reply: Need big catch can for -12an fitting