Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Removing Taillight Tint.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Taillight Tint.....

Ok guys need some professional advice. I sprayed my taillights with VHT which went HORRIBLY wrong. I think there was something wrong with the contents of the can. Anyways I sanded most of it off but there is still a little bit on there. What would be the best way to get rid of it? What all grits of sandpaper should I use?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

You could use like 600 grit or higher don't go too coarse. Also try some paint thinner on a rag
Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you going to be re-applying VHT? Like mentioned use some 600 to get rid of it.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

If you don't tint them again just put a couple of good coats of clear on them and they'll look like new
Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what was the issue? fisheye/orange peel?

no offense, but the contents would not be the problem. proper application and prep-work are usually where these issues occur, resulting in an unpleasant final product.

in any case, i would use a wet/dry 1000 grit sandpaper and wetsand the remaining VHT off the lenses.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

No it was the contents. The paint was coming out a hazy color almost white. I bought 3 cans total the side markers came out perfect but on the last can something was wrong with the paint. Ruined my taillights.

No I will not be reapplying VHT.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

yea use some elbow grease and some 1000 grit wet
Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by my01ws6
No it was the contents. The paint was coming out a hazy color almost white. I bought 3 cans total the side markers came out perfect but on the last can something was wrong with the paint. Ruined my taillights.

No I will not be reapplying VHT.

This does happen, Ive used tons of vht and have had more than a few bad cans, to where now i test them before use.

Ive ruined stuff after working on it all day on a brand new bad can.

The worst is getting a bad tip and it dripping on your surface while your painting

You can use sandpaper to remove the rest no problem. You can even use lower than 600, just make sure you smooth it back out and work your way back up in grit. Ive had to do it a few times.

Also, VHT (and places that sell it) are usually good about giving you another can if you get a bad one. I use to order it from summit when it was cheaper through them and all I had to do is call and tell them I got a bad can(and ruined my work) and they actually sent me 2 more. right on

Last edited by MurderedOut; 04-02-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Like others have mentioned. I would start with 600 grit wet sandpaper and work your way on up to 2500. Once wet sanded smooth, a good buff/and polish and the tails should look as good as new.

My other advice would be to get them professionally tinted with automotive clears and such that a paint and auto body would use. The results turn out so much better than the VHT. I know some will argue the point, but it's just my opinion. I have used both and I am much more satisfied with the results. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 75TransAm
Like others have mentioned. I would start with 600 grit wet sandpaper and work your way on up to 2500. Once wet sanded smooth, a good buff/and polish and the tails should look as good as new.

My other advice would be to get them professionally tinted with automotive clears and such that a paint and auto body would use. The results turn out so much better than the VHT. I know some will argue the point, but it's just my opinion. I have used both and I am much more satisfied with the results. Good luck!
I agree...that is by far my favorite way to do it. I've had it done on a bunch of vehicles whether they were mine or others...

Quick Reply: Removing Taillight Tint.....