Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

car was just painted a high gloss black,kinda worried bout protecting it..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car was just painted a high gloss black,kinda worried bout protecting it..need advice

ok so its gonna be washed for the first time this week, just curious if anyone knows any good techniques or has any opinions on how to keep the paint swirl free...
also, i wanna know if california car dusters are safe?
aditionally, my car is garaged but i wanna buy a car cover to protect against dust and people rubbing against it, anyone know any good ones?
quick detailers?
please feel free 2 throw in any additional advise if u have any.....ty
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

First off, how long ago was it painted? Wax is an absolute no no for at least 30 days. If the car is kept in a garage alot, the most i would imagine building up is just a layer of dust, so a good rinse with minimal soap would work. DO NOT use the car duster, all it does is just drag dust and other things across your paint and it WILL swirl it up. The same thing can easily happen with detail spray if you are using a sub par rag or towel. If you do wash it, I would recommend getting yourself a waffle weave towel for drying. Excellent absorption and won't swirl up the finish. That's the best I can tell you, mine will be painted here soon and that's my plan.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Two bucket method with a good wash media. Blow dry with a shop vac or blower, works great. No car duster, ur better off letting the dust build up a little on it and just wash it, then tyring to wipe it down all the time. Just my thoughts i'm sure others well add something. Good Luck and it look great...
Old 01-09-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Rinse the car off before you hand wash it with a good car soap. and like mentioned you can get a hand held blower to remove all the water off.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

-Rinse well before washing
-Two Bucket method
-Microfiber Wash Mitt
-Wax only when needed with a quality product

As far as the Cali Duster goes... They can work well or be a total pain. They could potentially drag larger particles of dirt across the paint allowing it to get scratched and create swirls.

Ive never used a cover as my car sits outside in all elements of weather. Many people here have threads on what covers they have. Some of the better looking covers Ive seen here are nylon ( I think? and they fit the car like a glove).

Just do a search for the Covers, wax, two bucket method.. and you will get what you need.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i redid my 88 formula WS-6 i used to have and i waxed it about once a month, after it cured, with a high quility wax, i think i used meguires tech wax i cant remember, this would alow me to just usually take it to a car was, blast it with soapy water then blast with water then shammi off.. my paint never strayed from fresh paint
Attached Thumbnails car was just painted a high gloss black,kinda worried bout protecting it..need advice-fbird-4.jpg   car was just painted a high gloss black,kinda worried bout protecting it..need advice-top.jpg   car was just painted a high gloss black,kinda worried bout protecting it..need advice-pass.side.jpg   car was just painted a high gloss black,kinda worried bout protecting it..need advice-front.jpg  
Old 01-10-2011, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish i didnt upload those...................................i miss that car =(

this summer, i will buy a "son" to that car, ls1
Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

www.autopia.org Done...

Quick Reply: car was just painted a high gloss black,kinda worried bout protecting it..need advice