Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablosport hand-held causing intermittent hard shifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diablosport hand-held causing intermittent hard shifts

I've posted this on PF.net without any real help, so maybe since the PCMs are somewhat similar I can get some help here. Please read.

'99 Silverado extended cab Z71 4x4, 5.3L. 89k miles, K&N FIPK, bone stock otherwise and runs great.

I have a Diablosport Predator hand-held that was used on a LS1 F-Body and now used on the truck. The initial tune was their 93 octane performance tune, default settings.

The truck ran great for a few hours, then started shifting HARD, like teeth jarring hard. It's especially bad for the 1-2 shift, but still hard on 2-3 and 3-OD. The entire drivetrain cringes. Shut the truck off, start it back up, it sometimes takes five minutes of driving, other times several hours or anytime in-between to do it again.

I ran the truck through a friend of mine who's a GM Master Tech, which the driveline checked out fine. He recommended I remove the tune. I did, and installed the 87 octane tune instead. Same thing, but this time more than a day to manifest before going back into the intermittent cycle of hard shifting until you restart the truck.

At this point, I installed the stock tune back into the truck. It hasn't done it since. The tunes did not do this to the F-Body.

I called Diablo yesterday, and they were less than helpful. They're trying to blame everything but their product, although it ONLY does it with their tunes and I've had the driveline/tranny checked out. I've explained this to them and we went around in circles. They're adamant they can't be responsible, but this is seriously pissing me off, and from the symptoms, I believe it to be their product causing the issues.

Anyone have any ideas? If it is their product, how do I get them to take ownership of the fault and take care of this responsibly?

Thanks.

---------
It started out to shift a bit firmer and quicker, per the tune. After XXX amount of time, it would shift hard like described from that point on until the truck was shut off and restarted.
---------
Speaking of that, the truck awhile back went into limp mode after I left the MAF unplugged and it shifted the exact same (hard as ****), although it was all the time.

That being said, when the Predator tune is in, it does not throw the SES light.
---------
Yep, I tried explaining this to Diablo and they won't hear it. I'm thinking something in their tune may be interfering with my PCM, but they won't even try to help diagnose the problem.
---------
Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This behavior seems like a fault mode is entered, maybe
not often or consistently enough to set a light but still.
Any learning (shift time set crazy low, etc.) would creep
up on you. If it's an on, off thing then you have to look
for immature codes first. Probably using a better scan
tool.

As to "taking ownership", good luck.

How did you manage to get the Predator from an F-body
to work on a truck anyhow? VIN lock etc. The OSes I
do not think are identical. How does the Predator know?
Might be a chance that something is being diddled, that
is assumed to be something else.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That tool, u7198, has tunes for both cars and trucks. Covers many OS's and vehicles specifically based on the OS number. It's not as "generic" as many think.

That being said, is this a newer tool or older? Do you have a serial port or USB to serial that you can get the backup and or last tune written from the tool?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
This behavior seems like a fault mode is entered, maybe
not often or consistently enough to set a light but still.
Any learning (shift time set crazy low, etc.) would creep
up on you. If it's an on, off thing then you have to look
for immature codes first. Probably using a better scan
tool.

As to "taking ownership", good luck.

How did you manage to get the Predator from an F-body
to work on a truck anyhow? VIN lock etc. The OSes I
do not think are identical. How does the Predator know?
Might be a chance that something is being diddled, that
is assumed to be something else.
As y2khawk stated, it "senses" the PCM OS and tunes appropriately for the vehicle. I too believe it is somehow interfering with the data sent from the PCM to the vehicle and causing the issue. How? I dunno.

I have Autotap, so I can scan it when it happens again, but I'm really hesitant to install another tune as this is probably tearing my tranny up.

Originally Posted by y2khawk
That tool, u7198, has tunes for both cars and trucks. Covers many OS's and vehicles specifically based on the OS number. It's not as "generic" as many think.

That being said, is this a newer tool or older? Do you have a serial port or USB to serial that you can get the backup and or last tune written from the tool?
BIOS 6.01, I have to get the revision when I get back in town, but it was sent back last year for the newest (then) revision. I have a serial-to-USB I used with LS1_Edit, how would I go about pulling the tune?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A semi older tool. When you get back to the tool/vehicle send me a PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Matt. I'll be back Friday and will PM you then.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is an issue I have seen with the older tools, likely revision 2.10-2.13.

I dont recall what the actual issue is, but I know Johan fixes it with a new tune and it works great.

If you upload a copy of the file from the Predator and email it to me or Matt, we'll fix it up for you no problem.

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just noticed that you say you tried to explain it to us and we weren't having it, when was this?

I am aware of this issue and would have offered a fix asap.
Have you tried visiting our forums for help on this issue?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
This is an issue I have seen with the older tools, likely revision 2.10-2.13.

I dont recall what the actual issue is, but I know Johan fixes it with a new tune and it works great.

If you upload a copy of the file from the Predator and email it to me or Matt, we'll fix it up for you no problem.

Thanks
Mike
That would be great, and thanks for letting me know. I'll PM you and Matt tomorrow night when I get back into town.

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
I just noticed that you say you tried to explain it to us and we weren't having it, when was this?

I am aware of this issue and would have offered a fix asap.
Have you tried visiting our forums for help on this issue?
This was Monday, around 9am EST and 11am EST, same guy. I didn't catch the name, the phone was answered with "Diablo, how can I help you?".

I tried visiting the site, but due to limited internet access at work, chose to use the phone instead.

I'm glad this is an issue that can be resolved, and I appreciate your responses.

Quick Reply: Diablosport hand-held causing intermittent hard shifts