PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I program the car to prevent misshifts? Check this out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I program the car to prevent misshifts? Check this out.

Heres the story: my tranny came down 3 times and is now being replaced just because of the 4 misshifts that I did all from 2-1 instead of 2-3 (manual transmission ofcourse). Now a new tranny is going in (under warranty thank god).

On my terrible way back home, I remembered that my skip shift light comes on at a certain time (usually in low rpms in 1st gear)and it locks me out of 2nd gear forcing me to shift from 1st to 4th on normal driving conditions.

So I thought, is there a way I could program my car to lock the 1st gear in racing conditions (just like how the skip shift locks 2nd gear entirely) that way the only way im going from 2nd gear is to 3rd or 5th to prevent unwanted redlining damage to the car? Basically what im saying is could I have the car programmed to fully eliminate mis-shifting into unwanted gears??

Could this be done? Please tell me if this is duable and who can do this and how?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok I called mti and they kept going back and forth saying

"i wouldnt recommend doing that" and then "No it cant be done".

I guess they just said it cant be done because its not safe to do it or something?

come on guys help me out here.

Someone here has to know.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This idea is not new; in fact some claim to have done it. I spent about 2 weeks trying to do it and gave up. I never figured out why it wouldn't work, except that once I changed my rear end gears to 4.11s, the skip shift never worked anyway. Maybe someone should try again with the latest version of LS1edit.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:02 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK I just read your post again; there is no way the skip shift can lock out 1st gear; the hardware is only on 2nd and 3rd gear. What I was trying to do was prevent the 3rd to 2nd miss shift.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks that sucks for me.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, it's just a little solenoid that pushes the shifter into 4th when you try and go to second - You can actually still shift into third, but that's not in the same direction so people don't.

You could try it though, couldn't hurt - just leave the clutch in and see if you can shift into 2nd at WOT

You could need to set the MPH brackets to whatever mph range you were at in the top of third (70-105 maybe? depends on your gears)

Set the MAP brackets from say 80-100, make sure the enable temp is low enough that skip shift will be enabled, and set the % tps to disable to as high as it will go. (try 100% first - if that still doesn't work try 101%)

Chris
Old 11-01-2003, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, you can't shift into 3rd... there's a pin that slides into a little groove when the solenoid activates. The groove forces the shift from 1-4. If you were insecond and the solenoid activates, you'd slip into the groove and have to go to either 1 or 4. If you were in third, it would catch and keep you from hitting second though.

Disclaimer: I haven't looked at this first hand, this was from previous discussion about someone who looked at it in detail to try and come up with this... maybe harlan??? Memory's goin bad... heh.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

In my LT1 I could definitely shift into 3rd while the skip shift was active, and I do not believe anyting with regard to that was changed in the ls1 version of the t-56.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

It's a moot point, he's trying to lock out 1st gear. It would be nice to get that solenoid to do something useful, though. I've thought about unpluging it from the PCM and pluging it into my own circuit.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Good point Has anyone actually tried programming it for 3rd gear activation and seeing what happens?

You could hook it up to your own circuit - you could do a 3rd gear + wot switch which would energize the solenoid when both were engaged - it could be done with simple mechanical switches and a relay.

But if the programming works that would be the easier/cheaper route.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

just imagine 1st gear getting locked when shifting 2nd to 3rd, and 2nd gear locked when going 3rd to 4th ... WOW... Now that'll be like you have those shifters that just go up and down but retain the factory look and peform the same..

someone please come up with something for us

I know this would get tons of buyers. You'll make money and make everyone happy ...

come up with the brains and ill come up with the money
Old 11-05-2003, 05:36 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Good point Has anyone actually tried programming it for 3rd gear activation and seeing what happens?
Yes, I spent a couple weeks trying to do it with programming and failed; I could make the skip shift come on under all conditions except changing the mph; I think 70 mph is out of range of this function.

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Good point You could hook it up to your own circuit - you could do a 3rd gear + wot switch which would energize the solenoid when both were engaged - it could be done with simple mechanical switches and a relay.
Yeah something like that is what I want to try, but maybe with a 555 timer delay on the trailing edge of WOT since I always let off the throttle to change gears. The WOT pulse would be stretched for a couple of seconds after letting off the throttle in third gear, not from the begining of WOT in third. For people that speed shift, WOT + THIRD might be best though.