PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning GURUS....what does it mean when the speedo needle does this? VIDEO.UPDATE FIX

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Tuning GURUS....what does it mean when the speedo needle does this? VIDEO.UPDATE FIX

Started tonight:

Its jumping around erratically. And exactly when this started my car sounds like it bogging down ONLY when I go into Lock-Up in either "Drive" or "Overdrive".

Overdrive boggs down and vibrates much worse then "Drive".

All other gears seem normal. Its just the second it goes into Lock-Up.....it boggs and feels like wheel hop.....

SES came on also.....have not checked it yet, every place is closed already.

EDIT.....Damn video won't upload.....

FIX:
Front spark plug wire drivers side....fell off at the coil. Popped it on....problems fixed.

Last edited by LS6427; 01-20-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:08 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Upload to youtube and share.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Banned

Jake.....

Just got it done. Took over an hour to upload to YouTube. Strange.

Here it is: I'm cruising steady at 20mph through a school zone.....then I get through it and speed up slowly.

Just read a few things on some forums...possibly a failing speed sensor in the transmission.....

Old 01-13-2017, 01:33 AM
Banned

I've had this cluster since 2002, its been perfect. I've never seen the needle do that before.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Given the intermittent oil pressure gauge problem the other day, I'd say that (even though your cluster has been fine until now) you have a cluster problem or that you having a wiring issue somewhere.

If you can address if the check gauges light came on when your oil pressure gauge crashed, that's going to tell a lot about where to check first.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99
Given the intermittent oil pressure gauge problem the other day, I'd say that (even though your cluster has been fine until now) you have a cluster problem or that you having a wiring issue somewhere.

If you can address if the check gauges light came on when your oil pressure gauge crashed, that's going to tell a lot about where to check first.
But as soon as the speedo needle started flicking around like in the video....I'm also having the converter lock-up issues.
My tranny builder says it might be the speed sensor in the tal shaft.

Leaving now to get the code read....if it's the speed sensor code than I think that's the culprit.......

Old 01-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Whatever you , DON'T answer my simple question about the check gauges light.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Banned

Whatever you , DON'T answer my simple question about the check gauges light.
Not sure about the CHECK GAGES light......not sure when it went on or not. Might have b een on for years. I'll go back and look at some old videos.

BUT.....it doesn't matter......problem is solved.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Banned

NO WAY anyone could have guessed where this problem was coming from.........another example of how wacky these PCMs are and the crazy symptoms and signals they can send out all over and through the entire system.

I went to Advance Auto just now. P0133 and P0153 and one other 02 sensor cose. 3 codes, all for 02 sensors Bank 1 and 2 front sensors.

So I drive home to change them, I have 2 new Densos at home.

So....to recap......speedo needle flicking and jumping all over the place and my converter lock-up in both "DRIVE" and "Overdrive" is all messed up bucking and vibrating like crazy.

I popped the hood......the forward most spark plug wire on the drivers side was off the coil. Popped it back on......everything is perfect again.

There's not a mechanic in the world that would ever say this causes lock-up issues or a speedo needle flicking and jumping around.

.....This wire fell off last night....I know this because I drove by my ceramic header coaters shop yesterday to show him my new 1 7/8" headers that he coated and I installed about 6 months ago. The wires were all on. That wire fell off last night......

Video:

Last edited by LS6427; 01-13-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Banned

wssix99......

So after I put the plug wire back on I went for a 30 minute drive to pick up some drag radials for tonight....going to Moroso to run this thing.

I figured I would just put two new 02 sensors in when I got back home. On the way back the SES light went off. So I decided to not put them in.

So a plug wire falling off causes the speedo needle to flick all over the place. Cause the lock-up ONLY to not work, but all other gears work fine. And it makes BOTH banks run rich, which in turn throws 02 sensor codes....BUT does not tell me a cylinder is not firing. The richness makes sense.....but the most experienced PCM designer geek at General Motors would never guess it would affect converter lock-up in OVERDRIVE but let the other gears run normally and make the speedo needle flick and jump.

These PCMs are monsters.......LOL

OH....to your question about the CHECK GAGES ligfht....it went off as soon as the SES light went off while driving home today. So yes, its always off unless there's an issue.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LS6427
OH....to your question about the CHECK GAGES ligfht....it went off as soon as the SES light went off while driving home today. So yes, its always off unless there's an issue.
That should confirm your gauges are good, then and you can turn your attention to the engine bay.

The richness makes sense.....but the most experienced PCM designer geek at General Motors would never guess it would affect converter lock-up in OVERDRIVE but let the other gears run normally and make the speedo needle flick and jump.
They would tell you that you have wiring problems and that you'd need to find evidence of at least one other person in this world having these issues before you could even start to make wild generalizations about patent defects in PCMs.

So a plug wire falling off causes the speedo needle to flick all over the place.
The high voltage arc coming off a loose or flailing spark plug wire can to a lot of funky things to other circuits around it.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:38 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The PCM also detects a rough running motor as a misfire. And a misfire will in fact keep the converter from locking up to protect the trans and motor from further damage.

So no, not that weird when you think about it.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:02 AM
Banned

That should confirm your gauges are good, then and you can turn your attention to the engine bay.

They would tell you that you have wiring problems and that you'd need to find evidence of at least one other person in this world having these issues before you could even start to make wild generalizations about patent defects in PCMs.

The high voltage arc coming off a loose or flailing spark plug wire can to a lot of funky things to other circuits around it.
The wire fell off the coil, so no arcing could happen from the other end. I can see if it fell off the spark plug and then the spark plug end was touching the engine or something metal...but the coil end was just leaning against the strut tower.

Unless the coil can shoot the spark 6-7 inches into the air, then maybe it was hitting the strut tower or the ABS box.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
The PCM also detects a rough running motor as a misfire. And a misfire will in fact keep the converter from locking up to protect the trans and motor from further damage.

So no, not that weird when you think about it.
Strange I got no misfire code. Just three 02 sensor codes.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Banned

FIXED:

Front spark plug wire drivers side....fell off at the coil. Popped it on....problems fixed.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 895 Likes on 637 Posts

in for the awesomeness...

Quick Reply: Tuning GURUS....what does it mean when the speedo needle does this? VIDEO.UPDATE FIX