Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner buy or use the tuner's equipment

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HP Tuner buy or use the tuner's equipment

HI, I have a C5 with a few bolts on (full exhaust, cats deleted, Vararam Intake , upgraded clutch etc..) and I have a nitrous kit pending to be installed.I’m thinking on a tune for her and I like the HP Tuners MPVI2. There’s a few tuners in my area that use HP Tuners. They offers to tune it without the need of me buying the hardware

There is any benefit of having my own equipment?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 2,438 Posts

You might want to search around here and read up more on the MPVI2. There are some issues with it.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peterskunk
HI, I have a C5 with a few bolts on (full exhaust, cats deleted, Vararam Intake , upgraded clutch etc..) and I have a nitrous kit pending to be installed.I’m thinking on a tune for her and I like the HP Tuners MPVI2. There’s a few tuners in my area that use HP Tuners. They offers to tune it without the need of me buying the hardware

There is any benefit of having my own equipment?
Hello, this depends on what your plans are with the car moving forward. If you ever want to look into tuning, or would like to make some adjustments, it might be worth getting your own device. I would also think about whether or not you will be using the same tuner if you need updates. If you want to take it to a different tuner at some point they will need to re-license the vehicle on their device. If you never plan on looking at the calibration, and you have a consistent tuner that you go to, then getting the tune without the interface may be the better option for you.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

So you will comment on this thread but not the many about how messed up your new v2 is?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

G. Atsma is putting it nicely. He is refraining from saying what many others are thinking.

The best piece of advise to be given here is that you search reviews on the product you are inquiring about. Or, search this forum. Or, search the HP Tuners forums... Only once you have all of the information can you make an informed decision.

If I were you, I'd pay someone with the older version of HP Tuners to do it.. Or, find someone selling the older version of the MPVI. There are some bugs, or kinks, that many buyers are experiencing with the newest version. Maybe give certain companies some time to sort through those issues before plunking down your money. Yes, I'm putting it as nicely as I can as I don't want to cause problems here.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
G. Atsma is putting it nicely. He is refraining from saying what many others are thinking.

The best piece of advise to be given here is that you search reviews on the product you are inquiring about. Or, search this forum. Or, search the HP Tuners forums... Only once you have all of the information can you make an informed decision.

If I were you, I'd pay someone with the older version of HP Tuners to do it.. Or, find someone selling the older version of the MPVI. There are some bugs, or kinks, that many buyers are experiencing with the newest version. Maybe give certain companies some time to sort through those issues before plunking down your money. Yes, I'm putting it as nicely as I can as I don't want to cause problems here.

thanks for your feedback, i think this the intention of this forums to share knowledge and experiences.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

We use a MPVI2 every day on a bench harness and sometimes in a vehicle and have had zero failures. All the ones we have sold that we are doing remote tunes with are working fine also so not everyone is having issues with them. In the end its electronic anything can happen.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
So you will comment on this thread but not the many about how messed up your new v2 is?
There is not much additional information I can add to those threads, anyone who is having an issue with their MPVI 2 needs to contact support so they can look at their files to determine what the problem is. The problems that we find are getting fixed as quickly as possible and we hope to have to MPVI 2 running flawlessly as soon as we can.

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
We use a MPVI2 every day on a bench harness and sometimes in a vehicle and have had zero failures. All the ones we have sold that we are doing remote tunes with are working fine also so not everyone is having issues with them. In the end its electronic anything can happen.
Thanks for the support! Glad to hear that everything is working well on your end.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HPTuners
There is not much additional information I can add to those threads, anyone who is having an issue with their MPVI 2 needs to contact support so they can look at their files to determine what the problem is. The problems that we find are getting fixed as quickly as possible and we hope to have to MPVI 2 running flawlessly as soon as we can.

Thanks for the support! Glad to hear that everything is working well on your end.
can i get my car tuned using my tuner's interface and when the "issues" with the MPVI 2 got fixed, transfer the tune into my interface and from that point tune it using the new one? thanks
Old 09-07-2018, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

The license for your PCM will be saved, or stored, in the MPVI that you use to tune it. So, if your tuner tunes it, and then you buy HPT, you will then need to license it yourself, with your software. You cannot "share" or "transfer" licenses-that I am aware of. The only way that would work is if your tuner allowed you access to his interface. Once he licenses your computer he will be able to access your tune at no additional charge indefinitely in the future with HIS interface. Your interface will need to be licensed to be able to do that, or use his interface with your computer.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by HPTuners

how about you spill the beans on what the problem is instead of the same "send it in" ambiguous as hell posts. i'm concerned about the future stability of a tuning platform im ---in part--- building a small business around to the point of looking at opensource alternatives and non stock pcms entirely.

we are your company. your user training model relies on experienced users teaching your newest customers how to use YOUR product. This is common in the software world. Ride With GPS or strava for example.

a big difference is that they continue to embrace customer communication and feedback.

so how about some?
Old 09-10-2018, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To the OP, you can now do remote tunes with the MPVI2 (or 1 for that matter) but the upfront cost will be more because you will have to pay for a tune plus the interface. Most small tuners will also coach you up in the mail order tuning segment. Just as truckdoug expanded on. I've helped many folks start tuning their own cars. The biggest benefit for you would be with the N2O and being able to pull/add timing for current weather conditions/bottle pressure and all that.

I'm really interested in the MPVI 2 pro, kinda seems like that should've come out first and let the big shops use them to work out the bugs. My .02 cents on the new hardware issues, hind sight is 20/20 though lol
Old 09-10-2018, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,303 Posts

OP....its a tough cost to swallow if you only plan a couple boltons for 1 car only. If you have future mods planned or have buddies who will want updates its easier to deal with.

PS....Big fan of my EFI Live....
Old 09-10-2018, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

I had someone in the HP Tuners tent at LS Fest tell me not to buy the MPVI 2. Granted, I already own the old pro, but its not very often you hear a company tell you not to buy their new product. I love my old pro FWIW.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 2,438 Posts

That's more honesty than I expected...