Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 firebird v6 to built LS motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2000 firebird v6 to built LS motor questions

First off, I would like to thank this forum for it's valuable information and it's search function, as a previous pontiac/gm enthusiast and taking my 3.8L N/A L36 into a M112 hybrid supercharged, nitrous injected FWD burnout box I have experience in rebuilding and swapping engines/transmissions. Obviously I am new to the LS1tech forums as a poster and before now i frequented mostly W-body forums...

Now, I have my next project.. I bought a 2000 firebird v6 with the Y87 package. From the research I can tell I already have the correct driveshaft and steering rack for an LS motor swap, which is only a few of the many things I will need.

My plan is to put an LS1 (346ci) in this car with the correct 4L60E, but my goal is to actually build something along the lines of a forged L92 on an engine stand and eventually put it into the firebird. (I understand the ups and downs of forged pistons, I am not totally against stock/hypereutectic pistons at this point, but I may want boost in the future, however I am only initially after 500-550whp. Cost is somewhat an issue, i'd rather spend small amounts here and there rather than buy a motor built by someone else. I have time, i have tools, I am a machinist, and I would love to build my own LS engine.

I know the v6 to v8 thing has been beat to death, but fortunately from what i have searched the 2000 year Y87 is better than most years for swapping (especially if i can find a 2000 year donor car or wiring/engine).

My question is, am I on the right track? Should I just get an LS1 and stroke it, do L92 or ported heads, intake, an aggressive camshaft, etc... or am i better off going with an L92 6.2 Liter long block and building it for an F-body? Is there way too much to do disabling VVT and AFM on these truck motors and swapping parts/gears out to make this work?

And something I haven't seen yet (i've searched), whether i get headers or not, will the stock exhaust from the v6 "bolt up" to the LS1? Or at least the cat back? I don't know if it has at least 2.5" exhaust or if it will even come close to bolting up? (obviously i know the manifolds/headers won't be reused from engine to engine)

At this point, I am not interested in required (transmission/rear-end) parts to handle the power, i understand the stock rear end (zexel torsen 3.42) probably won't handle much, I am interested in information on making a functional, running v8 car, but more-so what path I should take to do this.

I know I will need a wiring harness from a trans am of the same year and gauge cluster, and other items listed in other sites on threads, but I do not know all of what the L92 would require to be swapped out if i should go that route...

What do you guys think?

Yes, i'm looking for the build to be some-what streetable as well.

Thank you very much for any replies/information and taking the time to read my novel.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds very familar.

Check out my build thread and it will show you everything that I did to swap my 3.8 into a 6.0 in my 2000 Firebird.

http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...Family-Project

Then here is the recent update to the build:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ird-build.html

Good Luck!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackBirdDaddy
Sounds very familar.

Check out my build thread and it will show you everything that I did to swap my 3.8 into a 6.0 in my 2000 Firebird.

http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...Family-Project

Then here is the recent update to the build:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ird-build.html

Good Luck!
I just spent quite some time going through all 32 pages of that first thread, i have only skimmed the turbo build thread.

You spent an immaculate detail on that car and did a stellar job on everything! kudos!

I don't have any immediate plans on doing THAT much detail to the car itself, but to the drivetrain mostly.

You don't mention much about the wiring except for the IGN 2 fuse issues, did an LS1 harness pretty much work with that LS2? (i'm new to f-body stuff)

I will primarily be wanting to do the minimum amount of changes in parts to get an LS motor in my car, which will obviously mean a new wiring harness (Is there a place it plugs into the cabin somewhere or do i have to rewire the whole car or splice it into the v6 wiring??), trans am/z28 k-frame, transmission, engine (obviously), gauge cluster, fueling, coolant/ac hoses, some way to switch the electronic throttle control to a cable throttle and make my pedal work, and some way to make an exhaust work as i don't know if the stock cat back can be used at all until i can afford a catback on top of this..

Initial plans were to find a motor and start the engine build and once assembled to begin putting things together with the car.

Thank you!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kyle1058

You don't mention much about the wiring except for the IGN 2 fuse issues, did an LS1 harness pretty much work with that LS2? (i'm new to f-body stuff)

I will primarily be wanting to do the minimum amount of changes in parts to get an LS motor in my car, which will obviously mean a new wiring harness (Is there a place it plugs into the cabin somewhere or do i have to rewire the whole car or splice it into the v6 wiring??), trans am/z28 k-frame, transmission, engine (obviously), gauge cluster, fueling, coolant/ac hoses, some way to switch the electronic throttle control to a cable throttle and make my pedal work, and some way to make an exhaust work as i don't know if the stock cat back can be used at all until i can afford a catback on top of this..

Initial plans were to find a motor and start the engine build and once assembled to begin putting things together with the car.

Thank you!

Thanks.

The 2000-02 LS1 engine wiring harness will work fine. It feeds though the driver and passenger side firewall in which there is are connectors.

I swapped my electronic pedals for a set of pedals that accept a cable for the throttle body. They are very easy to find.

Exhaust - I would trash the old system and get headers and etc.

This is a huge but rewarding job, so do your research and take your time.

Good Luck!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:32 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Check out the Conversions & Hybrids Forum when you get the chance...
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Check out the Conversions & Hybrids Forum when you get the chance...
The hybrid forum mostly seems to apply to non-LSx vehicles, and while my car did not come with an LS1, there is a version of it (the trans am/formula) that comes with it. I have been reading through there and I appreciate that.

So far my parts list (i'm sure nowhere near complete, but i feel it's close):

Complete engine & accessories
Transmission
Engine wiring harness
Radiator (maybe?)
Fuel pump/lines/regulator (or convert current lines with a vette regulator and use a walbro)
Throttle cables & system (including pedal)
Exhaust (Complete headers to tips? Catback may be too small)
PCM (PCM for an LS1 T/A or Z28 99-02 should be okay?)
TA Gauge cluster (For correct signals and for the 150mph speedo)
Fbody oilpan/pickup (unless motor is out of an fbody)
Z28/Trans am K-Frame & engine/tranny mounts

I made a note to try to get stuff from a 2000 if possible, and i am keeping my eye out for a wrecked LS1 car just in case i get that lucky....
Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Kyle, I'm not sure where you are located (shipping would be out of hand) but I have a very clean k-member with motor mount stantions for sale. I went turbo this year so I replaced it with a tubular frame.

I will look this weekend and see what other stuff I have that you may need.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Kyle, I'm not sure where you are located (shipping would be out of hand) but I have a very clean k-member with motor mount stantions for sale. I went turbo this year so I replaced it with a tubular frame.

I live in the northeast corner of indiana. It is probably within driving distance unless you live near Pennsylvania. thank you!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Looks like a 3 and a half hour drive based on the city/town next to your name. If you have any other parts/mounts/wiring,etc i would be interested =)

I updated my garage/profile best i can after a long day of work to reflect my current vehicles. Apparently i never added my location, i mostly have done just reading/lurking on the forums until now.

Thank you BlackBirdDaddy!

Quick Reply: 2000 firebird v6 to built LS motor questions