Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights go out while driving 2000 trans am

I have a 2000 trans am that has driving light problems. While driving my headlights will go out after a click sound as if a circuit breaker is triped but after 1-5 minutes the lights will come back on.
Anyone have any ideas? Is the circuit breaker made into the switch for the lights?
All help will be appreciated greatly (can't drive at night till I fix the lights)!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:07 AM

Yea both lights go out at the same time as if I am turning them off and after a few minutes they come back on at their own convenience. I am replacing the switch because the wiring diagrams I have shows the circuit breaker in the switch. I dont know where you are talking about a brain being, I havent found any indication other than a circuit breaker. I was not able to find any information on the location of the circuit breaker for the headlights and I hope I am right thinking it will be in the light switch.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a Daytime Running Light brain box behind the radio (upper right) that is part of the headlight circuit. Canadian firebirds have it active and US models are inactive (due to no light sensor). I don't think that's your problem, but if you can't find a fix you might try swapping out that box. Theyre cheap at the junkyard.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:30 PM

Default headlights wont go down

when i turn my lights on they come up just fine but when i turn them off they wont go down. they werent working at all but i changed the pucks out and now im faced with a new problem. a reverse polarity switch maybe??
Old 12-23-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

The linkage might be binding or might be installed backwards.

By pucks, do you mean the little plastic stops that limit the linkage?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone ever thought about painting the pop up headlight housings on the late model birds? I was looking at it the other day and thought the black would look better painted body color.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two questions..

1) Almost everytime I turn on my car, my headlights pop up. Sometimes they don't. But this is all without actually turning on my lights. When this happens my dashlights and all other lights are on as well. I didn't hit the switch though. This is hit and miss. It's like every other time perhaps.

2) I need to adjust the headlight covers themselves to line them up with the hood. What am I looking for to adjust them?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Teching In

any ideas on why my passenger light wont come up unless the high beam is on?

thanks guys. great thread! very informative
Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1forlife1
any ideas on why my passenger light wont come up unless the high beam is on?

thanks guys. great thread! very informative
That is probably a problem with the headlight control box, especially if the low beam lights up. Check the connectors on the box for looseness or corrosion. If all is well, try swapping the control box with a friend to see if that cures the problem.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sempire
Two questions..

1) Almost everytime I turn on my car, my headlights pop up. Sometimes they don't. But this is all without actually turning on my lights. When this happens my dashlights and all other lights are on as well. I didn't hit the switch though. This is hit and miss. It's like every other time perhaps.

2) I need to adjust the headlight covers themselves to line them up with the hood. What am I looking for to adjust them?
That's pretty odd. The brain box behind the radio (DRL box) is what can do that. Check it's connectors.

Replace with a junkyard one if necessary.

The DRL box also controls the automatic headlight function and hatch release safety lock for when the car is driving. There is a wire from this box that goes up to the top of the dash, loops around and goes back. This is were the Canadian birds have their light sensor attached to. When current flow through it the lights stay off, cut this wire and the lights turn on with the ignition. This is because the light sensor creates high resistance if it's dark. If there's light on the sensor it let's power go through easily.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-27-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mark42
That is probably a problem with the headlight control box, especially if the low beam lights up. Check the connectors on the box for looseness or corrosion. If all is well, try swapping the control box with a friend to see if that cures the problem.
thank you! i will be sure to try that! until now i just use my hight beam to turn it on...
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JasonWW
That's pretty odd. The brain box behind the radio (DRL box) is what can do that. Check it's connectors.

Replace with a junkyard one if necessary.

The DRL box also controls the automatic headlight function and hatch release safety lock for when the car is driving. There is a wire from this box that goes up to the top of the dash, loops around and goes back. This is were the Canadian birds have their light sensor attached to. When current flow through it the lights stay off, cut this wire and the lights turn on with the ignition. This is because the light sensor creates high resistance if it's dark. If there's light on the sensor it let's power go through easily.
What exactly does this light sensor do? I have the DRL option on this car, would it sense that it is dark and pop the lights? Or is it a different type of light sensor?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also need to adjust my headlight doors. I have already loosened the four phillips on top and moved it around that way but i still can't it to fit. Are there any other places for adjustment?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Launching!

Here's my experience with these pop up headlights. 98+ style. The passenger side didn't work. Drivers side did but made a horrible noise. Drivers side stopped working about a week after I bought the car. I then opened both sides up to see what the problems were.

The driver side had what I assume to be a common mistake, 2 actually, performed on it. This mistake I've also seen mentioned in these forums, though NOT listed as a mistake. The bolts holding the motor to the assembly were put in BACKWARDS. This made them stick out towards the actuator arm too far causing the actuator arm to slam against the end of the bolt. Oddly, it must have worked like this for a long time as that was the cause of the horrible clanking noise I would hear when opening and closing the light.

Flipping the 3 bolts around did not fix the immediate problem though. This leads to the second of 3 problems. The actuator arm was installed backwards. I flipped this around to the proper orientation. Ok, motor is now installed properly but won't work.

I popped the plug off and 2 of the 5 pins in the plug, specifically the motor pins, came right out of the plug itself. Not exactly the pins, but the once factory crimped ends that went into the pin that then went into the plug came right out. Replace the plug, drivers side fully functional and as quiet as it was when new.

The passenger side was dead when I bought it. Popped the plug off and guess what... Black filthy grimy water came out. BOTH plug ends were corroded to hell and back. One of the plugs kind of looked ok, but after poking at the pins a bit, the motor pins broke off in the plug, fell apart actually. So don't be fooled by it kind of looking ok. Broken pins, etc. Replaced both plugs and all was good.

Also, the lights on both sides still worked even with the plugs in this state, so don't automatically assume the plug is fine if your lights work but the motors don't.

Lastly, one request. PLEASE do not install the motor bolts backwards. If the end of the bolt comes out on the side of the actuator arm, you've installed them incorrectly. Stuffing washers in there to correct this is not the correct answer. Flip the bolts around. If the arm is in the way, turn the motor by hand till the arm is out of the way and you can easily install them properly. There is ONE bolt, the one closest to the engine, that doesn't seem to be in the way of anything no matter how its installed. So I suppose if you have trouble installing that far back bolt correctly, flip it if need be. The other two need to be installed correctly though.

Oh, and remember, use dielectric grease on your plugs to help waterproof them.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Have you guys ever heard of this?

Saturday night was driving home. Found out my passenger headlight was still down, so I pulled over and cranked it up manually I have had a lot of problems with these headlight motors. Went to put gas in it and the both went down and both with back up. Got it home and the passenger headlight was stuck up I can not manually crank it down. The dumpers are still on the bracket and the passenger side headlight and high beam will not power on. And the daytime running light on the drivers side does not work only the running and both filmants are fine and replaced that bulb.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Is there a Halo HID conversion kits for the high, lows and fogs lights?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tadroptopgirl
Is there a Halo HID conversion kits for the high, lows and fogs lights?
Nothing for the lows/highs. As for the fogs people have replace them with the ones you find at auto parts stores that have "rings"
Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default Yes, she was hit..

My bird has a really odd problem with the lights. No mechanical problems; but rather a fitment problem. 4 years ago she was hit on the passenger side. New front fascia, fender, and headlamp (lid and all). When it was reinstalled it appears that they used the stock fitments and that the core support has no damage. However..

As you can see that lamp sits high when deployed and before my adjusting the eyelid and lamp itself it actually sat canted up when closed. Am I looking at a bent core support bracket or is there some sort of stop that I can adjust on the motor's arm to cause the lamp to align properly. That lamp is aiming at least 6 inches high or more and I'm almost positive it's blinding some people on the road.

It was hit before my ownership so I don't know what was replaced. These are just a few pics I took to get a general idea of what I'm dealing with. I can also get more shots since the snow has her parked and if I take apart the assembly I won't lose sleep over it.

Drivers POV: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0127.jpg

Both from the front: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0128.jpg

This one is properly aligned and was never damaged: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0129.jpg

This is the repair side: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0130.jpg

Deployed, OK side: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0131.jpg

Deployed, Bad side: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0132.jpg

Closed, Bad side: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0133.jpg

I'm assuming washers would be my best bet in adjusting the bracket but if there's just some bolt in that arm that I can tweak to lower the stop I'd rather do that. I want this thing to be presentable too at shows so it will be visible..

For the record, the owner wasn't at fault. Some teabagger kid hit him. He just never drove it and never got around to properly realigning them. His toy, my 'joy' so to speak.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Replaced the gears and both headlights work great except for the Drivers side. For some reason the "arm" keeps getting hung up and is making the headlight malfunction. I'm sure it has something to do with where the headlight is (open or closed) when you re-attach the arm but I've taken it apart several times now and something is just not right. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE