Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question...My headlights have started not responding sometime. When I turn on the switch, I can tell that the lights are coming on, but they arent popping up. I sometimes have to cyle the switch a couple times before they will pop up. What could be my issue?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Question..How does the rubber boot come off for the manual lift? Trying not to tear it up. Twist off or pop off like a grommet?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

prin, check the arm first it might be ABOVE the rubber so when it starts it hits it again and so on till it passes it else it could be a gear issue.

midnightz, you don't need to lift the light to open it there are two bolts you can open and tada you have the whole assembly, you just need to take the arm and bulb wires off ..
Old 03-31-2013, 05:12 PM

Default 2002 Trans Am Headlight problem

I have a 2002 Collectors Edition Trans Am that just recently developed and issue with the headlights. Whenever I lock or unlock the car with the key fob the headlights flip up, flip down, and then the motor runs for about 40 seconds then shuts off. Had a bad battery, thought that was the issue and replaced it but the problem still continues. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Launching!

headlight motor needs to be replaced....
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Top of the firebird forum is the sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...s-go-here.html
Old 04-02-2013, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

i don't really know what all the fuss is about with these headlights .. they now became a piece of cake for me
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I just had mine apart last night to reepoxy one of my motors and its retarded easy once you have an idea of what you are doing
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

yea thta is true, the only hard part is getting my hads down in there to get to it, but since i rebuilt both my motors with brass gears i havent had to mess with them.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AmDWs6
prin, check the arm first it might be ABOVE the rubber so when it starts it hits it again and so on till it passes it else it could be a gear issue.

midnightz, you don't need to lift the light to open it there are two bolts you can open and tada you have the whole assembly, you just need to take the arm and bulb wires off ..
Thanks for the response. But, that is not my issue. It is more electrical.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Default c5 headlight gear and trans am headlight gear

my dad has an 03 z06 and I got a 98 t/a both need headlight gears im just trying to make sure they are the same before I order them
Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Teching In

Cool Wd-40

WD-40 is great on plenty of applications, and this post right here is ridiculous. WD-40 stands for Water Displacement formula 40. Its purpose is to rid of water and replace it with a protective petroleum seal between surfaces. The first thing it mentions on the can is its positive effects on rust. It will remove and further protect from any kind of oxidation or corrosion, and keep your parts clean and new.

Originally Posted by SpeedSin
Wouldnt use WD40, its water-based (promotes rusting). I would use some sort of silicone based lubricant. Or a maching oil. Later...
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

I have a Canadian 1995 firebird formula, as soon as I turn on the ignition the lights popup, is this normal, or do I have motor issues?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Default 1995 Formula Light Issue

I have a 95 formula, as soon as I turn the ignition on the headlights popup, all marker lights turn on, as well the dash lights turn on.

This happens with the headlight switch in the off position. I can't see any aftermarket modules or anything that would cause the lights to automatically come on, any ideas on what I should check next?

Thanks
Steve
Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Headlights help!!!

Question...My headlights have started not responding sometime. When I turn on the switch, I can tell that the lights are coming on, but they arent popping up. I sometimes have to cyle the switch a couple times before they will pop up. What could be my issue?

It is not a motor issue or an arm issue.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The first sticky (yellow section above) is all about Firebird Headlights and the magic world around them, check it out maybe you find your answer?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Prin

It is not a motor issue or an arm issue.
Could be a bad Headlight Actuator Module? Since this seems to concern both side. This module is located at the driver’s side to the right of the cooler where the fuse blocks are located.
Check the status of all connections, the big ones under the headlight units are known to "corrode" a lot- poor conductivity.

Attached Thumbnails Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE-headlight-xx.jpg   Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE-headlight_actuator_module.jpg  

Last edited by vikingramair; 04-27-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Launching!

So I did the coated aluminum gears on my car to fix the grinding and lights coming up with door locks issue, I did them one at time since only one was bad. However when I did the driver side gear that night I noticed my passenger light wouild not come up and I figured out that it was catching on the hood, so I adjusted the door cover (which looked like hell) and then a couple weeks later the driver side light did the same thing. I adjusted the stops for the hood so the lights would clear but it kinda looks trashy if your really looking at the car and I don't understand how out of nowhere the lights needed to be adjusted, anybody else ever have an issue like this?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after doing some reading finally i decided to take a look at the headlight connector, and when i took the two connectors apart i noticed a lot of gunk buildup which at first made me happy till i cleaned it off. the two wires going from the headlight motor to the connector are fine, however the 2 long metal pieces that are inside the other connector that creat the eletrical connection between the two parts, are not there... they are gone. so im assuming thats why my headlight on the driver side doesnt go up or down.

how difficult is it to replace that piece? or do i still have to buy an entire new assembly? or could i maybe solder in a lil piece on both sides and hope for a connection? lol
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok well i decided to splice the wires coming from the motor to the connector pieces and low and behold the headlight motor now works... but now i have 2 new problems... first is with the previously faulty motor. when it closes it just keeps spinning for like abother 2 seconds, this is prolly due to faulty gear i would imagine.... second and this is the more annoying issue... whenever i unlock/lock the car it is now doing the open close headlights thing... why would it randomly start doing that?

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE