Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Yes, but the rants will not change anything - it's a done deal.

Regards,

David
sounds like your only listening to the people you want to hear.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Thanks Pete.

Regards,

David
Just outta curiosity, why not stick with the GTX name that existed on the G8s predecessor the Grand Prix or was it never discussed. Im somewhat baffled by that.

Also, would SLP be interested in making a package for the G8 ST when it comes out?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

IMO it's not too late for anything, and SLP can take in everyone's feedback or ignore it. But those hood stripes just don't work, if those are standard they will kill the sales of that car. I'd rather see SLP brushed badges on the side, and a very small Firehawk on the car, maybe must in back. You have the make the car more classy, not less. Car is the successor to the Grand Prix and it shows.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Hmm GTX would be cool!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by wannabess00
Just outta curiosity, why not stick with the GTX name that existed on the G8s predecessor the Grand Prix or was it never discussed. Im somewhat baffled by that.

Also, would SLP be interested in making a package for the G8 ST when it comes out?

GTX is a Castrol Trademark and was used in conjunction with Castrol - No interest in going there.

It's too early to talk about the ST.

Regards,

David
Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
IMO it's not too late for anything, and SLP can take in everyone's feedback or ignore it. But those hood stripes just don't work, if those are standard they will kill the sales of that car. I'd rather see SLP brushed badges on the side, and a very small Firehawk on the car, maybe must in back. You have the make the car more classy, not less. Car is the successor to the Grand Prix and it shows.

I think everyone needs to sit back and relax. These teaser shots were done before the summer and you never know what the finished product will look like! (I do and have a car here, but can't go into detail). Once the first magazine has done their testing, we can show the final product, but not until then.

Regards,

David
Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

GTX is a Castrol Trademark and was used in conjunction with Castrol - No interest in going there.
Yeah, that and an uplevel 1960's Plymouth Belvedere.

It sure is kind of odd having the moniker "Firehawk" attached to a car that doesn't have any type of bird in the name. Good luck with that one.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

he already has our money. dosnt care what we think now.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Launching!

That is exactly the target audience, folks who want performance but do not mod. CTS, Audi, BMW, etc.. the buyers who look at these performance vehicles but lean towards American Muscle is the buyer.
This statement confuses me, David. At first glance, common sense would tell me you are trying to target entry-level (base model) CTS, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. buyers. However, the fact that you are emphasizing "performance" would lead me to believe you are referring to the buyers of the CTS-V, RS4, M3, C63, etc. Are you at liberty to elaborate?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by 00hawk120
he already has our money. dosnt care what we think now.

somehow I think the "sound" research behind this is mistaken for a group of "yes-men" that told them what they wanted to hear. This is no different then calling a Trans Am a "GTO Judge". Im mean we are all thankful to voice our opinion but this is just hard to comprehend
Old 09-24-2008, 10:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SonicBoom
This statement confuses me, David. At first glance, common sense would tell me you are trying to target entry-level (base model) CTS, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. buyers. However, the fact that you are emphasizing "performance" would lead me to believe you are referring to the buyers of the CTS-V, RS4, M3, C63, etc. Are you at liberty to elaborate?

Thank you for asking. At this time I am not at liberty to elaborate, but as we get closer to launch I will be able to post more info.

Regards,

David
Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dave,

How 'bout G8 FH....the FH can draw on the lineage of the "FireHawk". At least make the Firhawk logo very very tiny, so it doesn't cheese up the G8 too much.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Launching!

david when do you think you'll be able to elaborate on the g8, and you said somrthing about reproducing the decals what about the 10th ann. decals i can't find any replacemant parts for my car the ones i did find on e-bay were very exspensive!!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Teching In

if you can't use the GTX moniker because of a conjunction with castrol why not upgrade the name using the same style of badging...

SLP G8x
SLP GX8
SLP XG8

most people looking for a high end luxury performance coupe would enjoy he alpha-numeric badging that most of the higher brands carry. the firehawk moniker actually makes 0 sense on the g8. if you want to carry on some lineage or history from pontiacs past why not dig up the old Le Mans tag that was put on the Tempests in the 60s.

SLP G8 Le Mans would be pretty sick.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Yeah Dave think outside the box a little more, I mean someone had to come up with the "Black Series" for Mercedes, and it's just fine. I'm totally relaxed, in fact I'm still someone who would consider getting one of your G8's, but not with those hood stripes.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98bgmZ28
if you can't use the GTX moniker because of a conjunction with castrol

....and isn't Firehawk a tire name too. What's the difference?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Teching In

thats true. the original firehawks were named for the tires, just like the Comp t/a camaro of the mid 90s.

seems like a cop out here.

hey dave if you guys are surely that strapped for ideas or creativity you should start looking at hiring new guys to work at your place. seriously. i can come up with a million different badges that would sound better than G8 FIREHAWK.

G8 CRAZY CRAB sounds better than a firehawk.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MMMM_ERT
....and isn't Firehawk a tire name too. What's the difference?

The original Firehawk's were done with the help of and under license from Bridgestone/Firestone with the Firehawk Tires/Brand. SLP Now owns the trademark/copyright for Firehawk on Land Use Vehicles. Bridgestone/Firestone is still a partner, but we no longer need permission to use Firehawk.

Regards,

David
Old 09-24-2008, 02:16 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The original Firehawk's were done with the help of and under license from Bridgestone/Firestone with the Firehawk Tires/Brand. SLP Now owns the trademark/copyright for Firehawk on Land Use Vehicles. Bridgestone/Firestone is still a partner, but we no longer need permission to use Firehawk.

Regards,

David
So how many G8 Firehawks will it take to recover those costs....???

Seriously, I wish you the best of luck. I hope the G8, Pontiac and even GM are still around by the time this comes to market.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Long time lurker. As a previous 1995 Firehawk owner, I am also disappointed to see the use of the Firehawk namplate. Beyond the heritage issues which 19 pages of posts have summed up, the name doesn't make sense on a vehicle that's not a Firebird, and the script logo decal looks odd on a modern looking car like the G8. I'm not sure the target demographic will find add-on decals particularly attractive. If I was in charge of this project, the car would be the SLP G80 (kind of the reverse of AMG's nameplates for MB). And the logo would be a badge, not a decal.

Having said that, I am excited to see a new factory backed SLP-modified performance car again and look forward to seeing the options and specs. If this is a dealer modified program, I'd probably just have them leave the decals off and give me the performace upgrades.

The idea of this car is cool. It just should have been called something else.

Last edited by BZiggyZ; 09-27-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss