Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, still have yet to see anything good on using the Firehawk name on anything besides a Firebird. Where is all the you mentioned?

Bottom line: Re-name it or **** off plenty of car buyers that SUPPORTED SLP in past. Should be an easy call, right???? The Mustang almost went front wheel drive once, the masses spoke, Ford re-thought the decision, came out with the Probe instead of screwing up the Mustang rear-wheel drive platform. So why can't you drop back and re-think this?

Derek
Old 10-07-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

because that would make sense.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

just for the hell of it why don't we come up with some legit names for them to consider? Poll maybe for the top three? nevr know, maybe one will strike the chord and the controversy can be over?

How about

G8 GTX

that seems Waaay more befitting a grand Prix replacement since it was already an SLP name on a Grand Prix

or forget the G8 all together and just call it the GTX that's pretty badAss no?

one more, GTX___________________SLP

Last edited by TonyGXP; 10-07-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
just for the hell of it why don't we come up with some legit names for them to consider? Poll maybe for the top three? nevr know, maybe one will strike the chord and the controversy can be over?

How about

G8 GTX

that seems Waaay more befitting a grand Prix replacement since it was already an SLP name on a Grand Prix

or forget the G8 all together and just call it the GTX that's pretty badAss no?

one more, GTX___________________SLP
While I applaud your attempt, SLP does not care about our opinion on this matter and will NOT change the name. It's pointless to even try and help because they don't want it. Sorry to break the news dude.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

maybe you need to look at where I live my friend lol... I know people who know people.. who know people that know Ed.. no Joke though i have been in their building, behind the scenes and will tell you if someone comes up with a better name they would use it.. don't give up.. They used my friend's G8 to mock up the headers, exhaust, etc. They wanted my truck back in the day for things as well (but I didn't need them as my friend owns a performance shop, see sig) I have talked and hung/hang out with their guys man, they are GOOD people... just don't give up..

one more.. G8X by SLP

(like how the GTX was after the GTP) oh yeah, I like that one...

Last edited by TonyGXP; 10-07-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

GTX is a Castrol Oil trademark.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe you need to look at where I live my friend lol... I know people who know people.. who know people that know Ed.. no Joke though i have been in their building, behind the scenes and will tell you if someone comes up with a better name they would use it.. don't give up.. They used my friend's G8 to mock up the headers, exhaust, etc. They wanted my truck back in the day for things as well (but I didn't need them as my friend owns a performance shop, see sig) I have talked and hung/hang out with their guys man, they are GOOD people... just don't give up..
Then perhaps you can do us a favor and go there and talk to some of the other SLP staff and show them this thread and our ideas?

So far we've come up with

G8 Firestorm
G8 Panther
G8 Z series
G8 R series
G8 Revenger
G8 A Series (Accelerando, Accelerate)
G8 Formula
Comp G8 (I still really like mine )
Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ +1...since he "know" so many people...he needs to speak up...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Call it the "GR8" if it's so "Great."

G8R actually sounds awesome to me.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Look, this may be the biggest ls1 site, but we are still the minority. Your average joe schmos (?) that are not into modding and all that, wont give a flying **** about the names heritage. They will think G8 Firehawk....that sounds tuff, and buy it. **** they probably dont even know what a Firehawk is now. So, however stupid the idea sounds to us and owners of previous Firehawks, the average joe isnt going to notice it for its past name, however they will buy it for its current name.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
...that are not into modding and all that...
Then why would that given person even consider paying a premium on top of the normal price...??

I see what you are saying, but again, IMO the "G8 Firehawk" is meant to appeal to our crowd, the ones who are willing to pay more to go faster (AKA in to modding)....
Old 10-08-2008, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
Then why would that given person even consider paying a premium on top of the normal price...??

I see what you are saying, but again, IMO the "G8 Firehawk" is meant to appeal to our crowd, the ones who are willing to pay more to go faster (AKA in to modding)....
How many people bought an ss over a z28 for the name alone? IMO the average guy who wants a fast car, doesnt want to build it...besides putting a "K&N and cat back". Was the SS and WS6 really worth the extra money? Does the average BMW guy mod his car? the average Vette guy? Porsche? If this car was made to appeal to us...it wouldnt be called a Firehawk, because every single member of this board knows what SLP is, so there would be no need to use an old name to lure in customers. They could call it the G8 SLP Turd Slinger, and we would already know more about the car than the dealerships.....just like we know more about the car than dealerships now, and the average Joe has no idea that they are bringing back the firehawk name, yet alone knew the firehawk died in the first place.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk

In your opinion that's who it's meant to appeal to? Maybe you should actually read the responses from the SLP guys who say that's not correct. You should also do a little research, because the MAJORITY of people in the market will pay more for the faster model and are not into modding. They want the factory badass car, not something they have to modify after the fact. Your opinion is wrong, and uneducated.

We are the minority and are not the aim of any automotive manufacturer, period. We are the aftermarket crown plain and simple.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Your opinion is wrong, and uneducated.
If you would have read this entire thread you would have seen that I've been posting throughout the entire thing from the beginning. So let me translate for you, READ: I HAVE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD.

Just because one employee from SLP says it is going to appeal to a certain crowd is not the Holey Grail... It is blatantly obvious that you did not read the entire thread of opinions of the "G8 Firehawk's" target market....

It is my opinion, thank you. No one forced you to agree with it and respond immaturely. Someone pee in your Wheaties this morning?

Last edited by Y2KFirehawk; 10-08-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Maybe you should actually read the responses from the SLP guys who say that's not correct.
Because we've determined that SLP is the all knowing god that is omnipotent. Maybe you should pull your head out of *the same place SLP has theirs* and read that we've been debating the target audience this whole time, and I believe SLP is wrong.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Then perhaps you can do us a favor and go there and talk to some of the other SLP staff and show them this thread and our ideas?

So far we've come up with

G8 Firestorm
G8 Panther
G8 Z series
G8 R series
G8 Revenger
G8 A Series (Accelerando, Accelerate)
G8 Formula
Comp G8 (I still really like mine )

I'm done thinking it should be called G8 Formula. SLP G8 should be sufficient. They should want to get their name out there as brand equity, not just a model name. It would be fine if SLP was an automotive line to have their top cars called "Firehawk" or whatever, but they are an aftermarket (second sticker they are calling it) supplier.

Like others have mentioned, SLP can be a SVT or SRT.

"Is that a SLP G8? Sweet!"

"Is that a Firehawk? Wtf? That doesn't look like a Firebird. Some tool put Firehawk stickers on his G8!"

Which scenario works best?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

I will speak to someone clost SLP, spends alot of money there and has a good relationship with the bossess... I am thinking of another one, how about, _______________G8X G8x
Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I'm done thinking it should be called G8 Formula. SLP G8 should be sufficient. They should want to get their name out there as brand equity, not just a model name. It would be fine if SLP was an automotive line to have their top cars called "Firehawk" or whatever, but they are an aftermarket (second sticker they are calling it) supplier.

Like others have mentioned, SLP can be a SVT or SRT.

"Is that a SLP G8? Sweet!"

"Is that a Firehawk? Wtf? That doesn't look like a Firebird. Some tool put Firehawk stickers on his G8!"

Which scenario works best?

Oh people are gonna want me banned for this . I think SLP should call it he G8 SLP Firehawk...this way they get the SLP name out there associated with Firehawk so for the next car they decide to throw out there wont need Firehawk in the name for a makering ploy, SLP will suffice. Yes it will "demean" the firebird firehawk but they gotta do something to bring in the cash....and i bet my *** that if the G8 Firehawk is a bad *** street car everyone here that said they will never buy one will have one in there driveway.

P.S. Please dont ban me! Just shooting off ideas im at work bored.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

...and you obviously haven't read this entire thread. If you had, your points would have already been stomped into the ground.

1. SLP looks to earn MORE money by not pissing off the very group that made them grow. Way more people have claimed to be disappointed and will not consider buying this car or any other SLP products because of this. Change the name, and this problem disappears. SLP can then resume business without the negative cloud.

2. This car could fly to the moon, get 50 mpg, have four turbos, give John Force the move at the track. We would still disagree with them using the name "Firehawk". It has nothing to do with the performance of the car, we simply disagree with the name.

3. I would buy an SLP G8 that was tasteful and refined, with a good dose of power. I will NOT buy one if it says "Firehawk" on it. I vote with my wallet, so will others.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will speak to someone close to SLP, spends alot of money there and has a good relationship with the bosses...
Excellent! Your efforts are appreciated...!

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss