Old 06-18-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there isn't and lt1 in my town that can even hang....its usually ugly
Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blkbltgoat
oh the humanity, we are losing to LT1s now. I think there is 1 GTO that drives around the country racing people and getting their *** handed to them again and again.
lol.

sounds like this individual just puts the car in 4th at the line and races like that.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

5 pages i win!!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:49 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Because I started posting my .02 in an unrelated thread (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-gto-2004-2006/937188-what-happen-price-gto-s.html), I have moved the conversation here...

Originally Posted by CABRO
well according to this thread, that guy in your town is an idiot. cause his goat aint worth the crap, and the ss's are priceless. so he is gonna take it in the rear to get one.

and most people cant afford to mod these cars anywayz...... so waste your time on these older cars that you have to upgrade anyways to play with what is now on the street. cause ls1's aint cutting it no more........ls2,3,7,9 are spanking most modded ls1's.
Originally Posted by demonspeed
400hp doesn't cut it anymore, either. I read somewhere that 500 is the new 300. I believe it.

I'd sell my GTO to get back into another Camaro. Too bad I owe $24k on an '05 with 33k miles.

I digress... The GTO is a good driver, but anything can be made to be really fast, it would just be easier to do it with a f-body.
Originally Posted by dgr00s
i would be upset, too if i had an f-body with dated technology
The GTO is just sooo technologically advanced...
if you would trade the potential of a gto for what a camaro has to offer to go "really fast" thats your choice and a confused one at that...
Potential of a GTO??? What am I missing that the GTO potentially has that a Camaro or Firebird doesn't? Leather door panels?

Enlighten me of how confused I am. Please.
you have one, you should know.
Wittiness isn't proving your point.

But where can I start...

Suspension? It's great on the GTO, isn't it? Leaky struts, blown bushings, sagging springs. I mean, it's normal for cars with less than 10k miles to exhibit those sort of traits, right? So lets call Pedders. Thousands later, and we're on par with what a simple call to Sam Strano would have taken care of for much less. You would have also received much more than a box of bushings.

How about the traction? Those big wide 245's sure to hook... er... well, at least a thinner tire is better in the snow. It's enough worry to fit 275's on a GTO. Any bigger, it's time to cut. How wide are stock Camaro tires? 275. How easy is it to mount 315's on the back? As easy as using the tire machine.

That's a nice rubber band in the middle of the driveshaft on the GTO. Oh wait, it's a 2 peice shaft. Silly me. Well, let's spend some money on that. While we're at it, we'll dump gobs of money on a gear change and diff cover (that alone is a grand), throw in some axles and some beefy stubs. Funny, all I would have to do to a Camaro is not even hit 2 grand to have a bolt in rear that will take endless abuse - and I can keep my stock driveshaft. I mean, I could do that to the GTO, but then I have to fab everything, tub it, etc. Yeah, I think I'd rather be driving than seeing it on jackstands. No thanks.

Hmm, what can we do under the hood? Oh yeah, the same thing any LS1 or LS2 GTO can do! Imagine that!

Am I missing anything?
Originally Posted by sappy96
^^
What that has to do w/ value of the car...

I am sure there were no issues at all the whole F-Body production run.
They are perfect...
dgr00s is saying the F-Body uses "dated technology" compared to the GTO. I simply wonder what technology.

dgr00s also implies that a GTO has more performance potential than that of a F-Body. I simply want to know what potential.
Well if you compare stock blocked cars then the GTO does have more potential. It will cost more for sure but its there.
As far as dated technology idk what he is referring to exactly.
Not entirely true. Let's use your '05 for example.

I'm going to assume that your 12.5 @ 111 is with all the mods listed on your fquick (it doesn't mention if it is or not).

Let's compare that to my '01 Z28. 13.0 @ 111.6 with a catback, lid and programmer. Assuming I had the full exhaust like you did (which would make the mods even), that E/T would be ever so close to yours, with another 2-3 mph. My car also had 90k miles at the time.

Does this mean my LS1 would have had more power than your LS2? Nope. It means that the entire package is making better use of the power.

One could argue that the 6.2 L92 in the new Escalade has more power than a 98 Z28, and therefore, have more potential. Potential for what? Just to make more power? That doesn't do it much good when it's in a luxo-barge.

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, just trying to make sense of this whole GTO vs. F-Body phenomenon.
243 HEADS
LS6 intake manifold/90mm intake manifold
suspension
the tranny is better....uses some parts from the vette
brakes
gauge cluster
01-02 has the LS6 manifold. They're $300 bucks if you have a 98-00.

I don't understand this whole "better suspension" thing.

Tranny is better? It's a T56!

Brakes? Do you realize how cheap it is to throw Z06 brakes on a F-body? Furthermore, the GTO needs the better brakes since it's got more heft, sedan suspension and tiny little tires.

Gauge cluster? Now what does that have anything to do with performance?

You guys are missing the fact that I'm not saying a LS2 doesn't make more power (it's a larger engine, duh). It's that the package isn't as "race friendly" as a f-body.
i thought we were comparing things that came stock on the vehicle

as for the t56 ----The GTO's use a triple cone blocker ring just like the vette. An fbody uses a single cone. The triple cone's are $500 for the set and the fbodys are $169.

gauge cluster- nothing with performance---you asked how was a gto more advanced.......cluster has shift light already in it....just needs to be programed.

this is true about being race friendly......but everyone is like f-bods is the only way to go....when in fact most of them now all sport ls2's or bigger.
That's my point. I'm not saying the GTO sucks. I'm saying the GTO is not the better platform to build a "race" car. Even stock for stock, the GTO is a different car (that's why I bought mine in the first place).

You can buy a shiftlight for dirt cheap. It doesn't have to be a huge monster one from Autometer either.

Everything you can do to the GTO you can do to the Camaro. You're right, most modified ones are running 6.0's or larger. Which would mean a 6.0 Camaro vs. 6.0 GTO = Camaro.

Comparing the T56 is just like comparing the engines. It's the same thing when it boils down to it. At the end of the day, the F-Body is still better suited for the track.

My ranting is entirely in the wrong thread.
No, I am saying w/ more displacement come more potential to make hp.
You're right, but that 6.0 is still in a bigger, softer sprung, crap-rear (race-speaking) sedan.

Maybe think of a 5.7 F-Body vs. 6.0 GTO as "less is more".
Ok, all I said was they have the potential to make more power on the stock block.
That is true.
The cost, the rear, the tranny, have nothing to do with that.
I know, but what I'm saying is at the end of the day, having those extra 18 cubes is not making up for the deficits the GTO has.

The 6.0 is better to build than the 5.7. The platform it's in is not.
Ok, did I say it was or wasn't a better platform? (The GTO is on a more rigid structure and when stripped down it actually can be quite nimble)
No.
I was just talking about the power plant.

Again, what does this have to do w/ value?
So, here it is, in the right thread, my opinion of the GTO vs. F-Body.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh the humanity, we are losing to LT1s now. I think there is 1 GTO that drives around the country racing people and getting their *** handed to them again and again.
no matter what the car is there is always one a little faster,your comment was rather sarcastic but there are many Lt1 cars out there that can do the same or better but who really cares!
i finally got to run one and had a blast doin it,win or lose!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Regular

Ok i think enough facts have been stated no need to repeat. The GTO guys are going to think they're faster and the Fbody guys are going to think they are faster. So this thread will keep on going. As a matter of personal opinion ive owned both and i drive an Fbody right now... nuff said
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

5 pages i win!!
Will it make it to 8?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:35 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
Will it make it to 8?
Let's try.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let's try.
Sure will here is another post of what to expect.

F-bodys or redneck dreamcars with horrible interiors and rough rides that cause hemroids.

GTOs are big cobalts with no room for real tires and gay IRS rearends.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Teching In

What is the weight of the GTO vs fbody?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my friends Ls2 GTO,m6 3814 wet
my 96 Lt1, m6 wet 3540
so roughly 275 lbs is the difference
Old 06-19-2008, 07:58 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

GTOs are so much better that F-Bodys, especially their suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WclO8ShFwIA
Old 06-20-2008, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine was 3780 with full tank.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:57 AM
On The Tree

GTOs are so much better that F-Bodys, especially their suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WclO8ShFwIA
Was that a car w/ the blown front shocks?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I bought a my GTO because of it massive rear hides that dead hook me on my way to 2.0 60fts!!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:23 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Was that a car w/ the blown front shocks?
Yeah... with 8,000 on the odo.

Here's another...

I have never ever heard anyone refer to bushings as bushes or a (singular) bushing as a bush. All of a sudden, this company from Australia comes out with stuff for the GTO and everyone is calling stuff bushes.

This thought has inspired me to post something on LS1GTO...
Old 06-20-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thought has inspired me to post something on LS1GTO...

Go for it.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by patisi
Keep 'em coming folks. The Camaro will be out soon that will give the Goat a rest from being picked on then it will be my F Body beat the current Generation Camaro.
true that. The new Z28 is gona be a boat w/ 400hp. Pretty much an 06 GTO with new sheet metal.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
true that. The new Z28 is gona be a boat w/ 400hp. Pretty much an 06 GTO with new sheet metal.
closer to the G8 actually
Old 06-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
cars need to be getting lighter, GM needs to increase fuel economy on all its models. I drove by a large truck dealership the other day and saw $15,000 off of some of the large trucks. The new Z28s should weigh 3000 not 3800.

Quick Reply: gto vs f-bodies