Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Can i make my 1st gen camaro handle like the cars of today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can i make my 1st gen camaro handle like the cars of today?

i have a 68 camaro that i want to make into a hell of a road race car. Can i make my camaro handle as well or better then the cars of today such as evos' s2000's, porsche maybe???? i know it wont be cheap but its alright becasue it will be a few years in the making im sure since i dont make enough money to do it over the winter. i want it to be the ultimate handling car. im telling everyone i wanna mkae my old camaro handle and they laugh but i know it can be done. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Jesse
Old 11-21-2006, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Check out www.globalwest.net www.hotchkis.net or www.detriotspeed.com I hope you can find what you need there to prove your friends wrong, there are many great handling early camaros and other muscle cars tearing up the track and whoopin up on ferraris and porches, for a fraction of the price and they are much more badass and fun to drive because even if you crash they are so easy to fix and the parts are easy to find without droppin loads of cash for a goddamn headlight or something stoopid like that. I would love to see some more american muscle tearin it up out there on the road course.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

When I went to Road Atlanta in Sept, there was a guy there that had a '70 Camaro. Don't know the difference between 1st and 2nd gen but he had no problems keeping up with me thru the turns. I could understand the straights, but hanging with me thru the turns was pretty impressive. So I am sure it can be done. I looked at his rear suspension, and it didn't look stock.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That platform has so much aftermarket support,
you could make it anything you want. "G-machine"
is what they call it, when you build it to corner as
well as brake and accelerate. Google up

"camaro g-machine"

and you'll get a whole lot of stuff to chase down.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

When I was at Lime Rock in September, there was a guy in the same car you talk of, and he was running in the advanced group with guys driving new BMW M3s, Corvettes, Porsches and the like. Obviously it wasn't stock , but it sure did run awesome. Anything can be done, as long as you have the cash.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aren't airbags popular for 1st gen. performance handling?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ws6jesse
i have a 68 camaro that i want to make into a hell of a road race car. Can i make my camaro handle as well or better then the cars of today such as evos' s2000's, porsche maybe???? i know it wont be cheap but its alright becasue it will be a few years in the making im sure since i dont make enough money to do it over the winter. i want it to be the ultimate handling car. im telling everyone i wanna mkae my old camaro handle and they laugh but i know it can be done. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Jesse
Dedicated track car...Just takes $$$...easily!

I'll keep this short...check out the June 2004 (vol 44 #6)issue of "Hot Rodding"...69 Camaro, old school baby, generation 1 small block chevy!

Had I not loved my C5 soo much, this is the way I would have gone!
Old 12-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Teching In

check out http://www.pro-touring.com It's all about this kinda thing... and has some incredible examples.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by robyrd
check out http://www.pro-touring.com It's all about this kinda thing... and has some incredible examples.
I don't know if this is the link you were thinking of, but on the top of the page is a "Boze ZE Forged billet iPod case"
Old 12-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
Aren't airbags popular for 1st gen. performance handling?
They are getting there, but there are better options.

Yes, the web address is www.pro-touring.com. There is so much information on how to make your first gen handle it is stupid.

Quick Reply: Can i make my 1st gen camaro handle like the cars of today?