Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

New to the AX, looking for suggestions. SFC, exhaust,ride height conflict

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007 | 11:01 AM
Launching!

Default New to the AX, looking for suggestions. SFC, exhaust,ride height conflict

My last SS I had set up for show and drag. After spending a bunch on show and a bunch of heavy *** suspension mods(full BMR setup), I ended up selling the car before I started in on any engine work. Im now in my 3rd SS which I am keeping, mainly because the payment is so small that its not a hit to the pocket book like my Last SS was.

After some reading as of late it seems that BMR might not be the best bang for the buck on over all AX gear. Like some have said in the past, each manufacturer has their good parts, bad parts, and great parts. Ive just recently changed out the shifter, so no more crap *** 2-3 misses that came with the stock Hurst(POS).

Im looking to get SFC's next. I used to have the BMR boxed but Im thinking there might be some better ones out there suited for AX. I was thinking KBDD, but I think they might have trouble fitting with the current LT's and X-pipe set up. I think if I was to get serious about it I would have to switch to midlength headers and a more tucked exhaust setup because surely a lowering would have to be involved with an AX setup.. right?

Anyhow im sure it seems like a bit of a ramble, but Im looking for advice on how to start to set the car up for AX. what are most people running for a good set of SFC's and how has the exhaust setup been tailored to the standard AX car.

TIA
Old 08-06-2007 | 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

Don't put anything made by BMR on your car if you want it to handle better.

If you are setting your car up for an auto-x class, be aware that SFC's bump you to C-prepared or SM (Street Mod). Neither of these classes are friendly to a street driven f-body. You can build a competitive CP car with a 4th gen, but its not going to be street legal. SM, on the other hand, is not f-body friendly at all. There is no way to build a competitive SM f-body.

If your engine is mostly stock, I would go into ESP if I were you. ESP allows springs, shocks, bushings, unlimited wheels/DOT tires, headers, seat, diff, cluch, and some other suff I'm forgetting.

While SFC's certainly help keep an f-body together, they really screw you up in terms of SCCA classing structure.

Edit: and if your car is still stock, FSstock may be the place for you. Currently the SS and WS6 are in A Stock (where they get owned), but they may be moved for next year. Running F stock really keeps the costs down, and allows you to develop your driving without worrying about the car setup.
Old 08-06-2007 | 03:08 PM
Launching!

1) Drive the car.

2) Buy good shocks. Buy a good front bar. Give it a better alignment.

3) Drive the car.

4) Buy spare set of wheels for race rubber

5) Drive the car.

6) Carefully consider what you want from the car and what class you'd like to run in. Buy parts if applicable.

Right now you're at step 1 but trying to jump to step 6.
Old 08-06-2007 | 03:15 PM
Launching!

Wheres a good place to find all the regulations for the different classes? This is my 1st attempt and 1st look at this style of racing.
Old 08-06-2007 | 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a link to SCCA's Rulebook and Cassification Docs

Most groups use this as the basis for their classing.

Last edited by Killer_Bluebird; 08-06-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2007 | 03:45 PM
Launching!

I was just on that site, but didnt recognize ESP in there as stated previously. The stock street specifies cat back systems, whereas im currently running LTs without cats, sims, currently will not pass state inspection due to these modifications. I would assume that that in and of itself would toss me out of the stock class wouldnt it.

Im guessing as I currenlty sit, I would be classified A Stock Street Prepared? trying to get the lingo right.. haha.
Old 08-06-2007 | 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Page 172 of the 2007SoloRules.pdf

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2007 | 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00Streak
I was just on that site, but didnt recognize ESP in there as stated previously. The stock street specifies cat back systems, whereas im currently running LTs without cats, sims, currently will not pass state inspection due to these modifications. I would assume that that in and of itself would toss me out of the stock class wouldnt it.

Im guessing as I currenlty sit, I would be classified A Stock Street Prepared? trying to get the lingo right.. haha.
Long tubes with no cats are legal for ESP. If you want to get serious, no more mods until you can read the rules, and more importantly, drive the car.
Old 08-08-2007 | 11:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mojave
Long tubes with no cats are legal for ESP. If you want to get serious, no more mods until you can read the rules, and more importantly, drive the car.

AHH so ESP means E-class Street Prepared.. ok ok. IDK wtf i was looking at. haha. And the list of mods etc would then be found under the street prepared section that I did read earlier..

Now, as for driving the car. I know theres an event in Ft Worth at Lagrave Field that I plan on going to watch, but this is the actual event. Are there practice runs or certain times to practice certain courses?

TIA for the advice guys.
Old 08-08-2007 | 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00Streak
AHH so ESP means E-class Street Prepared.. ok ok. IDK wtf i was looking at. haha. And the list of mods etc would then be found under the street prepared section that I did read earlier..

Now, as for driving the car. I know theres an event in Ft Worth at Lagrave Field that I plan on going to watch, but this is the actual event. Are there practice runs or certain times to practice certain courses?

TIA for the advice guys.
The Texas A&M Sports Car Club has an auto-x practice coming up later this month in College Station, on August 25th-26th. We will have unlimited runs all day; perfect time to gets tons of track time. All the info here:

http://www.tamscc.org/forum/showthre...7178#post77178
Old 08-08-2007 | 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most actual events do not have practice runs. Auto-X is pretty much a hands on sport. So as long as your car is mechanically sound, you have painter's tape to make numbers, and have a helmet you can just show up tell them you are a noob and they will guide you through what you need to do. As far as driving, just do it, as long as you are not trying to be Michael Schumacker the first time out show should be fine. If you can find an experience driver to ride with when you are not competing that will help you get the feel for what a properly driven car should feel like. But don't get a ride on a Miata find a car that is closer in size and set up as yours. This is the guide we give noobies at our group, though other groups may operate a bit diferently, it might still be helpful to you.

Last edited by Killer_Bluebird; 08-08-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2007 | 12:51 PM
Launching!

THanks for the info. Gives me more of an idea as to what to expect. I didnt know the possibility of working the event existed.