Old 05-19-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Arrow interesting port job...

thoughts?

Old 05-19-2016, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

using the theory of a golf ball demples. it could work. any flow numbers?
Old 05-19-2016, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this Brett from Landspeed's heads? I believe he uses, or at least use to, use the dimple port method.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
thoughts?

Vizard Visions
Old 05-19-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

I know this has been discussed before. Some believe it aids in the combustion chamber area too... would have to look back and see If I can find the threads later tonight.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is this the thread you're taking about?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-golfball.html
Old 05-19-2016, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

im trying to get more info.
one comment was that it was a 2JZ head, another was that it was off a cosworth.
trying to find out more info, ie what were looking at, who did the work, before after numbers, etc.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is another thread that covers it. I was correct in that the thread posted below are Brett Land's heads from Land Speed Development.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-trex-cam.html
Old 05-19-2016, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Is this the thread you're taking about?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-golfball.html
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Here is another thread that covers it. I was correct in that the thread posted below are Brett Land's heads from Land Speed Development.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-trex-cam.html
Good job! I think there was even a thread a few years back where Brett chimed in briefly.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Good job! I think there was even a thread a few years back where Brett chimed in briefly.
You don't see many guys at all running his ported heads, but he's been in business for a long time and still turns out products left and right, so he has to be doing something right.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Roughness will promote turbulence, help evaporate fuel, prevent fuel from sticking to ports, perhaps it doesn't need to be THAT rough but this is a well known concept. We do NOT want super smooth polished ports in most applications, specifically daily drivers/economy that require smooth idle and good drivability, and good response.

I think it is fantastic. I have no experience with it, but my internal sense of whats good is screaming hell yes.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now we need a guinea pig.

Flow identical(as humanly possible) CNC heads with and without ports and test them on a dyno as well.

Then throw it in a car and test both ways as well.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I remember e-mailing Brett about those heads years ago, and if memory serves me correct, the port volume on those heads are in the 240cc range.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM
Now we need a guinea pig.

Flow identical(as humanly possible) CNC heads with and without ports and test them on a dyno as well.

Then throw it in a car and test both ways as well.
How are you going to test changes in fuel vaporization and drivability? it will be subjective to the driver "oh yeah I notice a big difference" there won't be any quantifiable data without specific kinds of sensors placed inside the engine to record the data we are curious about. Who is measuring the partially vaporized portion of their injected fuel these days? Fuel will sit on the intake valve in a slight puddle, by design the injection event is preferably metered to a closed intake valve. Fuel vaporization occurs when the valve opens and turbulence whips it into a gas state. The portion that evaporates or is leaving the main puddle due to injection pressure (fuel pressure) is climbing up the intake runner, and insignificant compared to the mass in the main puddle sitting on the valve (and it may even be lost to another cylinder in specific conditions which may contribute to lean cylinder misfire during re-limiter fuel cut situations, or it is implied that the commonly acceptable way of rev-limiting a daily driver is by cutting fuel to each cylinder in a specific order or pattern, allowing events to occur between fuel cut cylinders, instead of all at once being cut together)

Last edited by kingtal0n; 05-20-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:04 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
How are you going to test changes in fuel vaporization and drivability? it will be subjective to the driver "oh yeah I notice a big difference" there won't be any quantifiable data without specific kinds of sensors placed inside the engine to record the data we are curious about. Who is measuring the partially vaporized portion of their injected fuel these days? Fuel will sit on the intake valve in a slight puddle, by design the injection event is preferably metered to a closed intake valve. Fuel vaporization occurs when the valve opens and turbulence whips it into a gas state. The portion that evaporates or is leaving the main puddle due to injection pressure (fuel pressure) is climbing up the intake runner, and insignificant compared to the mass in the main puddle sitting on the valve (and it may even be lost to another cylinder in specific conditions which may contribute to lean cylinder misfire during re-limiter fuel cut situations, or it is implied that the commonly acceptable way of rev-limiting a daily driver is by cutting fuel to each cylinder in a specific order or pattern, allowing events to occur between fuel cut cylinders, instead of all at once being cut together)
A Mustang Dyno and a 5 gas analyzer would probably fit the bill.

It seems gimmicky to me. If it was worth something, I would think all the racing programs in NASCAR/F1/etc would be doing it...but they're not.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KCS
A Mustang Dyno and a 5 gas analyzer would probably fit the bill.

It seems gimmicky to me. If it was worth something, I would think all the racing programs in NASCAR/F1/etc would be doing it...but they're not.
It might be just as effective as an OEM cast finish or any other kind of rough surface might give. it just looks different. I am kind of skeptical of any sensor detecting a difference in a rough cast vs this sort of job. The way the head is shaped (think of "twisted wedge" heads) may have an influence, perhaps it is best served also with a specific shape intake or valve job as well. We cant possible try all combinations. But nevertheless, I am enjoying how they ported then re-incorporated the roughness somehow.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

speed dimples, lol.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read 100% of this or go to the attached links. But the golf ball dimples actually might create a cushion of air at each dimple which really makes it flow smoother and not rougher. It also looks like he is trying to create a swirl pattern to the airflow as it goes further into the port. He is curving the dimples.

I think it would be hard to test for more than actual flow numbers. I would be curious to see what the flow pattern looks like as well as the fuel atomization.

I also agree that since he has been doing this for a while, if it were to actually benefit the engine with making more power, then it would be more widely used and sought after, especially by the pro level race series and teams.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

This might help you understand the principle behind dimples and airflow.

Quick Reply: interesting port job...