Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley global repository

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley global repository

i was just wondering if there is a specific reason there is no Holley repository here (or anywhere really)

i know now before it was because they were very hard to share because they were “folders”

but v4 software turned all tunes to one “file” now so it should be easier....

thoughts?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Are you sure it should be that easy?? IS it all one file?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesmak72
i was just wondering if there is a specific reason there is no Holley repository here (or anywhere really)

i know now before it was because they were very hard to share because they were “folders”

but v4 software turned all tunes to one “file” now so it should be easier....

thoughts?
My guess would be there are to many custom user variables in setups, different widebands, sensors, etc. Tables are unique since you can edit x and y axis also. Setting up your ecm correctly for your engine and sensors etc is half the tuning process and not something you can get from someone else. I think a holley tune repository would cause a ton of headaches, the tunes that come with holley get enough people in trouble.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can customize the wiring in the programming which is cool. I changed my first level and second level of fans without touching a wire the other day, so that is great. However, there is no way you have the reverse lock on the same pin or the A/C Request and A/C Control. Plus, as he stated above the maps pretty much all scale to match your needs giving you the highest possible coverage of your motors needs.

Now that I think about this more. There is no longer a folder that has a file for each ICF when the V4 saves and this is a good thing. It allows you to email the tune without compressing it. You can still save each ICF if you want from the program, but your tune should be 1 file now. This also shouldn't over write your old files, so you can still open an old one and check it all after importing it if things went wrong some how. You can also still flash back to V3 or V2 firmware if you don't understand the new features or layouts.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
You can customize the wiring in the programming which is cool. I changed my first level and second level of fans without touching a wire the other day, so that is great. However, there is no way you have the reverse lock on the same pin or the A/C Request and A/C Control. Plus, as he stated above the maps pretty much all scale to match your needs giving you the highest possible coverage of your motors needs.

Now that I think about this more. There is no longer a folder that has a file for each ICF when the V4 saves and this is a good thing. It allows you to email the tune without compressing it. You can still save each ICF if you want from the program, but your tune should be 1 file now. This also shouldn't over write your old files, so you can still open an old one and check it all after importing it if things went wrong some how. You can also still flash back to V3 or V2 firmware if you don't understand the new features or layouts.
That is correct, this is what led me to believe that holley noticed the hassle of sharing entire global folders correctly and fixed it in order to create more of a community presence.

I agree that every tune is 100% custom with holley due to all the I/Os, but I do think there is some benefit to be had in opening other peoples tunes in order to learn from them.

good job on Holley's part though for trying I guess
Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

Holley didnt change the format for ease of sharing tunes. There are alot of background changes in V4 which included the file format. You can still save individual tables if you want but if you do a normal save it makes a single file for the whole tune in V4.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think they mostly did it because many customers talking with their tech guys had issue emailing tunes and logs to figure out issues they were having. I could post 2 tunes to be a base for 98% of NA LS motors that would be better than Holley stuff, but then wouldn't I be the one on the hook if something happens, even if it was just someone not knowing enough to see the true issue?

Last edited by Crf450r420; 02-01-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Holley didnt change the format for ease of sharing tunes. There are alot of background changes in V4 which included the file format. You can still save individual tables if you want but if you do a normal save it makes a single file for the whole tune in V4.
I'm confused by this statement, if they didn't change the file format to make it better or easier then why did they change it? lol

Obviously that wasn't the only change in v4 but it's a fact it made it easier to share....
Old 02-01-2018, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

The change wasnt to make tunes easier to share, it does however make it easier but holley didnt redo the format for that specific reason. There were alot of other reasons for the format change if that makes sense.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't been to the V4 class yet and will probably wait for V5 at this point, so care to share the other driving forces to the file changes?
Old 02-03-2018, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

With Holley being so easy to work with, I don't see the need. As long as you input the injector data correctly and the other parameters, engine size, ignition data, etc. It should start.
Their bas cal's are OK but I don't like a lot of the timing maps they have.

Enable CL immediately. Learn won't start till your fuel modifiers are 100%. But unless it's WAAY off CL will at least let it idle, given the TB is open enough.

You can look at their base cals if you need help with the VE table. If you have an honest idea of how much power the engine makes its pretty simple to set the VE table for WOT, actually it's lbs/hr and it takes a very little fuel in the idle area.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Forgot to come back in here in post this. Says in v4 it's now easy to email files. Sounds like they knew it was difficult and changed it.

Last edited by jonesmak72; 03-22-2018 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 03-22-2018, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesmak72
Forgot to come back in here in post this. Says in v4 it's now easy to email files. Sounds like they knew it was difficult and changed it.
It wasn't that difficult before, Anyone who is familiar computers shouldn't of had a problem. The main issue seems to be that some people don't have the basic understanding of computers or setting up the Holley system before they even attempt to try a first start. That combination alone can make it very hard to help them.
I've done computer trouble shooting over the phone and I'm still amazed that people can't follow simple step by step instructions in real time. With the Holley system it to easy for them to miss one little step in the basic setup and that basically turns into a no start issue. What helped me is that I'm good with computers and the electrical/mechanical aspect of it and have a decent understanding of tuning, If you're lacking in one of those area's it can be frustrating figuring it all out the first time. So in the way that it makes it easier to send a file to be diagnosed is helpful to those that had trouble figuring out how to send it but as far as actually sharing a file I don't see the need so much.

In some ways having the complete tune in one file could be dangerous/expensive/harmful. If I share my complete tune in one file and someone downloads it and sends it to the ECU without picking it apart first it could easily cost them something as simple as a 02 Sensor or worse...a complete engine.

As far as sharing tunes, Unless you happen to be running the exact same combination most tunes are almost useless. Just using a different injector or different map sensor would make a copy and paste of fuel table (or any table)a bad idea and looking at them is of no help because the numbers may or may not be close to what you need.

There are just to many variables/possible combinations to make it really feasible.
One of the reasons it works for HPTuners is that most of the time you're dealing with slightly modified factory tunes that are being used on nearly identical engines so you see tunes that are for LS3 with X cam and long tubes or LS1 with x injectors and x cam yet they all use the same oil pressure sensor/temp sensor/map sensor/same cam and crank sesnor, Then they have separate controllers for boost, water/meth injection and so on....That's not usually the case with a Holley setup, It controls everything and can use a number different sensor combinations.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 03-22-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
and I'm still amazed that people can't follow simple step by step instructions in real time. With the Holley system it to easy for them to miss one little step in the basic setup and that basically turns into a no start issue.

Agreed. The Holley instructions IMO are pretty damn good. A lot of people get impatient and hurry with the install and forget to to all the preliminary checks.

They also periodically update their instructions which helps. For example the old instructions for the dual sync dist. were damn confusing. Tom re wrote them and it's pretty difficult to mess it up now if not impossible.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Agreed. The Holley instructions IMO are pretty damn good. A lot of people get impatient and hurry with the install and forget to to all the preliminary checks.
I spent a probably 10hrs over the course of a couple weeks just trying to get an engine to fire (it ran prior on a stock ecu), I triple checked my initial setup I narrowed the problem down to a cam sensor reading error and changed it and got the same error. Checked the harness like 5 times . Gave up for a few days thinking it was possibly the ECU so I pulled the Dominator ECU out of my truck and got the same error, Tried a third cam sensor and it fired off right away.
Prior to that all my first starts were smooth as butter....Wire it...Plug in the ecu.... Set it up...turn the key and boom running.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I spent a probably 10hrs over the course of a couple weeks just trying to get an engine to fire (it ran prior on a stock ecu), I triple checked my initial setup I narrowed the problem down to a cam sensor reading error and changed it and got the same error. Checked the harness like 5 times . Gave up for a few days thinking it was possibly the ECU so I pulled the Dominator ECU out of my truck and got the same error, Tried a third cam sensor and it fired off right away.
Prior to that all my first starts were smooth as butter....Wire it...Plug in the ecu.... Set it up...turn the key and boom running.
That is some shitty luck man. I guess I have been lucky. The only problem I've had so far, which is actually my fault, is I installed one of the first Sniper EFI units and didn't check my fuel pressure. The first run of those had problems with the FP regulators. My fueling was all jacked up. When I checked the FP I had like 90psi or so.

Replaced the regulator and all was good. If I would have done what I should have, it would have saved me a lot of time.

Quick Reply: Holley global repository