Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Just got done with a 454 tonight---Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow Just got done with a 454 tonight---Pics inside

Just got done building this for a good friend today. It's just a stockish rebuilt 454. 218/218 .500/.500 Edelbrock hydraulic flat tappet cam, Edelbrock Peformer intake manifold, timing set, and valve springs. It's going in what you see pictured below. 1970 something Chevy one ton frame and 1984ish S10 body, Dana 60 front axle, Corporate 14 bolt rear, 5.13 or 5.38 gears not sure which. 49" Irok tires. He actually just got rid of the 49s pictures for a set of the same tires but a 20" rim. The wheels are nice aluminum ones now instead of the chrome 16.5s below.

Here's the truck...

Here's his new wheels and tires...

And next to his lifted Jeep
Old 07-21-2007, 07:50 PM
hashtagBMW

Thats sweet man!

Tony.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks! First time building a big one.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a lot of money there! Cool project. Looks like you live in a nice neighborhood your neighbors must love you. I have the same problem.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:00 AM
12 Second Club

Actually it was a pretty inexpensive rebuild. The cylinder bores were good so we just had it honed, all the pistons, rods, crank checked out good so all of that was cleaned and reused, crank was polished. All we had to buy was gaskets, cam and lifters, timing set, intake manifold, calve springs, and a valve job.

Surprisingly my neighbors have yet to say anything about the cars and the noise and I have been here since mid February LOL. I'm really not that noisy anymore though since my TA is apart.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

I hope your friend keeps extra u-joints with him. JK. That will be one hella cool truck once it is done. Nice job with the motor.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

The truck has 1450 U joints
Old 07-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I take it nobody told you about flat tappet cams in a BB?
NOT a good idea. Dont be surprised if it doesnt make it thru the break in.
It has nothing to do with you or your assembly skills, so dont take it as a burn.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, they like to eat cams like candy!!
How's it going ED?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

It'll be fine. It's not far off from stock It's not a DD or anything anyways.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1997bird
Yep, they like to eat cams like candy!!
How's it going ED?
Goin good!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fergymoto
It'll be fine. It's not far off from stock It's not a DD or anything anyways.
Neither matters. Alot of times they never make it through the break in. Size DOESNT matter. Good luck with it. Hope you're one of the lucky ones.
You may want to take out the inner damper springs and break in the motor with just the outers.
Make sure your dist. is set right, and make sure it fires up quick, so its not cranking too long.
PS And how do you know it'll be fine if its your first one? Not bein a smart ***, just sayin. I've built a **** ton of them, and I'm scared to death of flat tappets. So much so that I wont even build a motor with one.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know what you've been doing man but you are the only person I have ever met (kind of, online?) that has this problem. I've got several buddies that have built a good amount of big blocks over the years and haven't had any problems. I'm confident that mine will be fine.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know what you've been doing man but you are the only person I have ever met (kind of, online?) that has this problem. I've got several buddies that have built a good amount of big blocks over the years and haven't had any problems. I'm confident that mine will be fine.
Go buy, rent, or look at any book about building big block Chevy's. One of the first things that it tells you when you get to the cam section is that they eat flat tappet cams. Also remember to use a diesel or racing rated motor oil for break in purposes due to the fact that they have reduced the friction inhibitors in your conventional motor oils. The ZDDP additive has been fouling O2 sensors and catalatic converter's, so they have all but gotten rid of it.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

I don't need a book the man that stood over my shoulder as I built this has a lifetime of experience building race and street engines, cars, boats, etc. I knew had built 4 small blocks before this, but never done a big block. Running Rotella 15w40 and a bottle of EOS for the break in. I don't really care what the book says. Just because it's in print doesn't make it right.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

Okey Dokey man. It aint me. Its a known fact. Going back decades. If you know guys that have built big blocks for years, and they've never even heard of flat tappet cam failures, i would question just how many they've built.
There's actually a jig made just to true the lifter bores to the cam centerline, made just for big block chevys, just for this problem.
I aint doggin you, or tryin to start ****. Its just a known fact. And anyone, thats built any amount of big blocks will know this.
I can give you names and phone numbers of machinists that have been doin this since wheels where square, and they will tell you the same.
This built in flaw, combined with the soft core cams and lifters sold today, make it a crap shoot as to whether your cam will make it.
I'm 40 years old, and have built engines numbering in the hundreds. Not tryin to impress, just tryin to let you know I aint no rookie.
BBCs love to eat cams. Thats all there is to it. It has to do with the staggered lifter angle.
As I said before, good luck, hope you're one of the lucky ones. Seems your buddies have been.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

OK man whatever you say. I got have heard your opinion.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

I don't need a book the man that stood over my shoulder as I built this has a lifetime of experience building race and street engines, cars, boats, etc. I knew had built 4 small blocks before this, but never done a big block. Running Rotella 15w40 and a bottle of EOS for the break in. I don't really care what the book says. Just because it's in print doesn't make it right.
And this person has never heard of the BBC flat tappet cam issues?
Again, man, not doggin anything you've done, its just one of those facts, that you have little or no control over.
But, this person that was looking over your shoulder, should know about this very common problem.
And to say because its in print doesnt make it right, is like saying the civil war may have never happened. Just cause its in print, doesnt mean it happened.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I miss being 18 and knowing it all!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1997bird
I miss being 18 and knowing it all!!

Quick Reply: Just got done with a 454 tonight---Pics inside