Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Just how far has F-Body values dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just how far has F-Body values dropped?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-lsx-powered-only/807391-price-dropped-one-kind-hoss-vert-c5-r-blocked-427-a.html

Interested in opinions as well as your guess of what my car will actually sell for. Keep in mind: It’s 9.90 @142, pump gas HOSS vert, with Fikse profilS5’s, car’s in immaculate shape and has all the goodies to get in the 9’s.

I've got the car listed for $24,900 and in my mind (perceived value) that’s a great deal. Like wise, I've noticed several other people on this board trying to sell their car with no luck too. Problem is the market dictates actual value and based on the glut of modified f-body’s on this board alone…I'm just wondering how far south these values are going???

My car blue books for around $12,500 (base line) well over $20,000 in mods…not including shop fees (the car was professionally built and I've got the 3 ring binder of invoices but haven’t the courage to add them up).

Keep in mind I'm no bitching but just curious as to what other think actual market value is...thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

I am in the market for a car but not ready to part with the money before the holidays. Dont know why i think alot off people are the same way. This is a tuff time of year to sell a sports car. A lot of people seem to buy in the spring which is also when they get there tax return. I feel that when you do the boltons or other mods it is more for yourself and does not work well for resale. I see alot of guys putting cars back to stock to sell. Some guys who are looking said at this point if they are going to spend in the 20's for a car they were going to wait for the new fbody and spend a few more bucks. Hopefully with good offers like zero percent finance. I may myself save my money and put a nice downpayment on a new fbody and then mod it the way i want. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your sale
Old 11-21-2007, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think the problem is so much what a modified car is worth, but more what a bank is willing to loan somebody. Most people don't have that kind of cash laying around so they have to get a loan from a bank. The bank could care less that the car has mods. To them it is worth no more in loan value than a bone stock car. That means even if your price is right on the money, you may have to wait for the right buyer to come along. Someone that can either pay cash or pay for it from a home equity loan or something like that.

Good luck with the sale! Hopefully you will find that "right" buyer sooner rather than later.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

None of the links work
Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

As a bigtime hugger enthusiast, your car is 100% the opposite of what I'd want in a hugger SS. I'd prefer a 100% stock or very lightly modified hugger SS convertible, in fact I've been looking for one to come around.

Since your car is heavily modified, it is no longer a 'collectible' in my opinion. That makes it just another 1999 car with a lot of mods. You can't go after the collectible value if your car is heavily modified, pure and simple.

Don't get me wrong, your car is killer and looks great. I'd sooner pay your asking price for a 100% stock one with less than 2K miles on it.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Teching In

I just sold my 2002 WS6 with 2200 miles on it for $25K. The car was flawless
and the only mods were a GMMG exhaust. I bought it 3 years ago with 900 miles for $22K. It will be interesting to see how the F-body market does when the new Camaro comes out next fall? Like Nine Ball stated.... generally the only cars to bring top dollar are low mileage and still stock.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree...mods can mean less people who are willing to pay a premium, especially when you build on a vert platform...but they're out there.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
As a bigtime hugger enthusiast, your car is 100% the opposite of what I'd want in a hugger SS. I'd prefer a 100% stock or very lightly modified hugger SS convertible, in fact I've been looking for one to come around.

Since your car is heavily modified, it is no longer a 'collectible' in my opinion. That makes it just another 1999 car with a lot of mods. You can't go after the collectible value if your car is heavily modified, pure and simple.

Don't get me wrong, your car is killer and looks great. I'd sooner pay your asking price for a 100% stock one with less than 2K miles on it.
Totally agree.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2QuickZ's
I don't think the problem is so much what a modified car is worth, but more what a bank is willing to loan somebody. Most people don't have that kind of cash laying around so they have to get a loan from a bank. The bank could care less that the car has mods. To them it is worth no more in loan value than a bone stock car. That means even if your price is right on the money, you may have to wait for the right buyer to come along. Someone that can either pay cash or pay for it from a home equity loan or something like that.

Good luck with the sale! Hopefully you will find that "right" buyer sooner rather than later.
Im with him, but it all kinda gets back to the old phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". And like Nineball said-Its only worth so much to a certain person and maybe more/less to another. Just hold out for a while, you might have to take a hit but then again maybe the right buyer will come along looking for exactly what you have. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Mods usually hurt value more than they help. That's why when Vengeance does the 454 for my HOSS we will pull the oe engine, clutch, etc., so we can return it to stock if need be. I don't see that happening but you never know.

Quick Reply: Just how far has F-Body values dropped?