Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Heads/Cam/100 Shot Z28 vs 2007 GSXR-600 (PSM)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads/Cam/100 Shot Z28 vs 2007 GSXR-600 (PSM)

For the first races: https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...-r600-psm.html

For the rematch I put the MT's on and sprayed a 100 shot.

My car should be around 520 rwhp on this jetting. PSM's bike is bone stock.

We got two clean runs in. The first was from 40 mph. We both hit it and he walked out on me about 3 cars. At the very top of 4th I was creeping back, but it was negligable for this race. Definite improvement, and made it so I didn't need binoculars to see him at the end of the race

For the second race we wanted to see what would happen if we got rid of his nasty advantage of 1st gear. We lined up at 70 mph and both hit it. This time he just crept out on me, putting maybe a 1/2 car on me before I stopped his pull and started creeping back partway through 4th gear. We ended at the top of 4th almost dead even, with him maybe a wheel in front.

Pretty much what I thought was going to happen based off the previous races. Fun time for sure!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds about right I guess. Here is another post in this kill section showing a GSXR1000 going against a bunch of 700+ (or is some cases, 700++++) and doing damned well. I'm hoping a local guy with a single turbo 97 stang making 860rwhp will race my zx14... we will see! Figure a 60-160mph run should work well. -- with me getting the hit. lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...time-vids.html
Old 05-21-2010, 05:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
For the first races: https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...-r600-psm.html

For the rematch I put the MT's on and sprayed a 100 shot.

My car should be around 520 rwhp on this jetting. PSM's bike is bone stock.

We got two clean runs in. The first was from 40 mph. We both hit it and he walked out on me about 3 cars. At the very top of 4th I was creeping back, but it was negligable for this race. Definite improvement, and made it so I didn't need binoculars to see him at the end of the race

For the second race we wanted to see what would happen if we got rid of his nasty advantage of 1st gear. We lined up at 70 mph and both hit it. This time he just crept out on me, putting maybe a 1/2 car on me before I stopped his pull and started creeping back partway through 4th gear. We ended at the top of 4th almost dead even, with him maybe a wheel in front.

Pretty much what I thought was going to happen based off the previous races. Fun time for sure!
nice sig lol
Old 05-21-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those were definitely fun runs. Yeah, the 40 roll I was in first and speed shifting, the 70 roll I was in second and powershifting (I really only powershift when I know it's gonna be a close race...or I really want to put a hurtin on someone since it seems to make about a half car difference per shift from what I've seen over normal speed shifting).

The 70 roll was an awesome run. Second gear I jumped out a little bit, third gear locked us dead even with him stopping my pull right near my bumper, then fourth I saw him slowly walkin back on me and we let off when he was just about right next to me at the top of fourth.

I can honestly say that without the powershifting on that second run, he would have been ahead of me when we let off. With the 40 rolls, it's just gonna take a LOT more power to hang because first gear is so nasty on these bikes.

Now we just need to find a lightweight passenger to hop in his car so we can get some videos for you guys, but unfortunately even a lightweight one will make a significant different in that 70 race.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed05V
nice sig lol
Haha, seemed relevant for the nonsense that's been going on around here lately.

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Now we just need to find a lightweight passenger to hop in his car so we can get some videos for you guys, but unfortunately even a lightweight one will make a significant different in that 70 race.
If I open my cutout that should pretty much make it a wash with a light weight passenger.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Haha, seemed relevant for the nonsense that's been going on around here lately.

If I open my cutout that should pretty much make it a wash with a light weight passenger.
Good point on the cutout. You get that FAST setup on the car with a retune and you might have me on the 70 roll with the 100 shot.

It's ridiculous to think that a H/C/I/100 shot LS1 might barely inch out a bone stock 600, and only from a weaker point on the bike (high roll as opposed to a 40-50 or below). These things are crazy.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

If he can hook (and had a stalled auto that could launch HARD consistently opposed to M6) i would strongly suggest a dig with you guys. It is much more difficult to launch a bike properly than simply roll on the throttle and shift.

That would give some room for more rider error (it takes a lot of practice to get it right) and could get him a couple carlengths ahead by 70, and as you started to close, he might get to triple digits and hold you off. If he can hook with those tires, i say give a dig a shot.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Why don't you guys try a dig?
Old 05-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason, nobody EVER wants to dig race me when I'm on my bike.

You guys need to understand one thing though: a non-stretched bike doesnt care one iota if it's launching from a dusty, dirty street or on a prepped track: traction NEVER is an issue on a chain driven bike. Even stretched, you got to get it out to 62+" arm before traction takes over wheelieing as the main problem. Think about that: if you had a 9 second CAR that never had to worry about spinning it's tires: just **** n git.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 AM

We tried a dig yesterday with me on motor. PSM rolled out to 5 mph I believe before punching it and the bike and car stayed even for a few seconds before he ran away from me hard. Once I get some new Mickey Thompsons I'll try spaying it from a dig. In theory it should be a good race from a dig as both vehicle should be capable of high 10's in the 1/4. Of course the street is different than the track.

We have mainly been doing rolls to show what happens when the bike is actually trying since that's the race most people do. Too many people with bolt-on LT1's and such that are "beating" bikes around here, lol.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 05-23-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

We tried a dig yesterday with me on motor. PSM rolled out to 5 mph I believe before punching it and the bike and car stayed even for a few seconds before he ran away from me hard. Once I get some new Mickey Thompsons I'll try spaying it from a dig. In theory it should be a good race from a dig as both vehicle should be capable of high 10's in the 1/4. Of course the street is different than the track.

We have mainly been doing rolls to show what happens when the bike is actually trying since that's the race most people do. Too many people with bolt-on LT1's a such that are "beating" bikes around here, lol.
I understand. For some reason I don't think watching someone else's vids will convince those people of anything though lol
Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Nice runs.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
I understand. For some reason I don't think watching someone else's vids will convince those people of anything though lol
That's cool, it just means that the rest of us have more ammunition to mock them with!

Also, PSM is already changing people's minds about what they are capable of. Ask him about the kid he raced that had already "hung with" two different 600's
Old 05-23-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

I'll be all for dig runs once I get a little more practice. I can bang gears and powershift with the best of em, but I haven't had the bike long enough to nail that launch yet. I really just started workin on it because I wanted to be totally comfortable on it before attempting to flip myself off it. When SRZ and I did the dig run, I didn't even bother to try and launch it hard, I just rolled out to 5mph with a couple thousand RPM's and then punched it. Knowing he wasn't spraying on that run, there wasn't a point in risking a hard launch. Once I've got it down, we'll try again and he'll spray it from a dig. Should be decent if he can hook.

That's cool, it just means that the rest of us have more ammunition to mock them with!

Also, PSM is already changing people's minds about what they are capable of. Ask him about the kid he raced that had already "hung with" two different 600's
Yeah, that didn't go so well for him. To elaborate since it's a funny story, it's a turbo Cobalt SS (modded, but still on the stock turbo) and the guy lives right around here.

First he posted a thread basically saying he hung with one. We told him maybe it happened, but it was either a terrible rider in the wrong gear or not a 600 sport bike. I offered a friendly run from any speed he wants and from multiple gears just so he can see the difference a rider and the correct gear selection makes. He sort of brushed it off.

Then a few days later he posted a vid of him racing an "R6" and he actually yanks the thing off the hit, then it starts to come back slowly, then he stops the pull. We told him the same exact thing: terrible rider in the wrong gear or not really a 600 sport bike. We were both going to be out that night so I politely offered once again. He agreed at first, then pulled the "I have too many people in my car tonight, some other night" text.

Sure enough later that night, my buddy was in his car and I was on my bike cruising up near one of the spots where we can get runs in with no one around and who's there? Our good friend that hangs with and beats 600's. My buddy who knows him wastes no time in pointing out that he only has one passenger in the car and convinces him to run. We pull over for a few and I just say, "What's your BEST, most impressive spot in that car?" He has sort of a surprised look on his face that I would offer that kind of "advantage", then tells me 40mph. THEN I just tell him that I can't hear honks with my helmet on so when I crouch it means I'm ready and he should just go. Another surprised look and he basically asks me again to make sure he heard me right on that one. I confirm and we roll out.

We slow to 40 with my buddy behind us, I drop to first, look over and crouch, and he punches it. Before he even starts to jump out, I go flying past him and by somewhere in fourth have god knows how many bus lengths on him. I slow down to let him catch up and he gives me the thumbs up. I return it and he waves it off like "yeah....that wasn't even worth the gas for that outcome" and then he heads home.

Later that night my buddy got a text from the kid saying "maybe it wasn't a 600...". My buddy said it was the worst beating he's ever seen. The kid with the Cobalt is very cool, he just didn't know what he was getting himself into and wanted to keep that dream alive in his head that so many people do when it comes to "hangin with 600's". Unfortunately for him, I'm the dreamcrusher. I felt bad so I didn't even bother telling him that I wasn't quite WOT and wasn't powershifting because the roads were damp earlier that night and I didn't want to go too crazy. I was far enough ahead as it was that he wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 05-23-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

I love showing people what my little CBR 600RR can do! Most fun was embarrassing a 95ish Viper that thought he could out pull the 600 from 80 to 130.

I have to agree, rider makes a huge difference. Also, most people do not know how to launch a bike properly. Traction is definitely not the issue, but with a 600 if you get too aggressive with the clutch and let the rpms drop below 9000, you're only loosing time.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I love showing people what my little CBR 600RR can do! Most fun was embarrassing a 95ish Viper that thought he could out pull the 600 from 80 to 130.

I have to agree, rider makes a huge difference. Also, most people do not know how to launch a bike properly. Traction is definitely not the issue, but with a 600 if you get too aggressive with the clutch and let the rpms drop below 9000, you're only loosing time.
Yeah, that's what I've experienced so far while working on my launching. You have to bring those RPM's way up and then really ride out the clutch to keep them there. The second you let the clutch out a little bit too much, the RPM's tank and it bogs like hell. Any of you guys ever fry a clutch on this thing? I can't imagine they last too long being launched all the time like this, but I was also told the key to longer clutch life with these is to really give it a decent cool down before trying it again.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Haven't burnt up any clutches yet...on the bike anyway!

I also haven't ran it multiple times in a row to heat it up to much either.

Last edited by NW-99SS; 05-23-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good point on the cutout. You get that FAST setup on the car with a retune and you might have me on the 70 roll with the 100 shot.

It's ridiculous to think that a H/C/I/100 shot LS1 might barely inch out a bone stock 600, and only from a weaker point on the bike (high roll as opposed to a 40-50 or below). These things are crazy.
Well said.

When are you going to re-gear? Huuuugggeee difference even with just a -1 front.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, that's what I've experienced so far while working on my launching. You have to bring those RPM's way up and then really ride out the clutch to keep them there. The second you let the clutch out a little bit too much, the RPM's tank and it bogs like hell. Any of you guys ever fry a clutch on this thing? I can't imagine they last too long being launched all the time like this, but I was also told the key to longer clutch life with these is to really give it a decent cool down before trying it again.
Heat is the big killer on the clutch, I wouldn't be too worried about slipping it every once in a while but back to back launches are rough. I have abused my bike for around 2 1/2 years and the clutch grips just as well as it did brand new...they are DAMN tough. They really are street legal race bikes, and are equipped as so. Not sure if the 07 gixxer has the racing slipper clutch as well, but on my bike I can even clutchless downshift to slow down before a turn by blipping the gas and stomping the shifter and not even get wheelspin. You can buy springs stright from the dealer for the cog wheel that let you customize the amount of tq-limiting slip as well.

For launching, I like to slip the clutch from 8K while rolling slowly on the gas to keep from bogging, but I am stock ride height and wheelbase. It takes a TON of practice...it seems you either bog down HARD(they have NO kind of low end tq) or yank the front and **** yourself. With a stretched swingarm and strapped front, most 600s like a nasty 10-11K launch and can pull sub 1.5 60's with a measly 50rwtq .

You can have the worst launch in the world and shift like Betty White and still trap 128+mph though .