Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

High school kids get a lesson (Jetta vs DSM)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyTransAm
how is a car built in normal, illinois rice? at least his car was built in america mine was built in CANADA ayyy. good kill OP ive owned 3 turbo dsm's and they are great sleepers.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
The OP is a regular here in the SRK section and his posts are respectful. Why not have him post a kill story here? He's being more respectful than some fbody guys that post in this section. I'm not ignorant or willing to hate a car that can perform with the best on this board so I'm sorry you can't understand why some of us would have respect for those cars. Hell I respect the occasional mustang that posts in this section. Should we start a lynch mob against non ls1 fbody owners in this forum?
This is nothing personal against the Op. I like fast cars and some imports (that are done right) can be fast..not doubting that at all. Personally, imports are just not my thing. I have one though but just for driving to work or to go to the store for groceries. I like it because if it breaks, i can just leave it on the side of the road until it gets towed.
Regardless, if I am on an LSX site and owning a Mustang, I consider myself a guest here and I have to be respectful of the cars that are truly affiliated with this site. Unless my race was related to a GM product, why would would I post it on here. I would go to SVTPerformace instead. On top of this, the cars racing were imports. I think the word imports have always been a sour topic on any site related to Ford, GM or Chrysler.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Thats kinda lame... You have a good story to tell, tell it - i like hearing about different kinds of cars... stops ppl from being narrowminded
Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

It's close minded GM nutswingers that destroy these sections. Nothing wrong with posting a totally un related GM kill/death. I know that everyone has had some sort of interest and either personally watched or seen on the internet a race between two cars that isn't GM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by proporio
Op,
nice car,
SexyTranny is just jealous
Thanks, and lol @ "SexyTranny"

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
Im jealous to

How did you drive that bad *** talon for thousands of miles and not take it to the track?
I'm a senior in college and i work non-stop over the summers, including a lot of night/weekend hours. In the beginning of the season i didn't feel like the car was sorted, mid season was really busy with work, and then i floated valves and missed the end.

The tracks around here are closed until April 1.

I've been trying to run a friend of a friends 1G DSM, but he always is giving me excuses why he can't do it. Those dsm's aren't really reliable for high boost unless you build it right from what I understand. Crank walk and transfer cases are ticking time bombs on those cars from what he says.
The older 6 bolt motors (what i have) are very reliable.

The newer 7 bolt engines are famous for exploding whenever they please due to crank walk. Stock transmissions aren't great, but the built transmissions are reasonably priced and very solid.

Transfer cases break mostly due to wheelhop. Preloading the driveline instead of dropping the clutch helps a lot. High powered cars with good rubber and suspension on the soft side can break them. 13 second cars driven by idiots can break them also...kinda like LS1 F-bodies and 10-bolt axles.

Clutches are a big PITA. The single discs dont last, and the twins are expensive ($1000-$2300) and terrible on the street (basically on/off switches). There's no great option for a high hp street car. There's a new twin disc on the market, but no seriously high powered cars are testing it yet. This is why I roll race whenever possible.

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Thats kinda lame... You have a good story to tell, tell it - i like hearing about different kinds of cars... stops ppl from being narrowminded

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
It's close minded GM nutswingers that destroy these sections. Nothing wrong with posting a totally un related GM kill/death. I know that everyone has had some sort of interest and either personally watched or seen on the internet a race between two cars that isn't GM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MACH32V
This is nothing personal against the Op. I like fast cars and some imports (that are done right) can be fast..not doubting that at all. Personally, imports are just not my thing. I have one though but just for driving to work or to go to the store for groceries. I like it because if it breaks, i can just leave it on the side of the road until it gets towed.
Regardless, if I am on an LSX site and owning a Mustang, I consider myself a guest here and I have to be respectful of the cars that are truly affiliated with this site. Unless my race was related to a GM product, why would would I post it on here. I would go to SVTPerformace instead. On top of this, the cars racing were imports. I think the word imports have always been a sour topic on any site related to Ford, GM or Chrysler.

Ok, you are honest about not liking imports and that is fine by me. Different strokes for different folks. I think the OP gets a by in my book because he is on this board in this section posting often and isn't a doucher in those posts. Hell, I'm more of a douche bag poster than the OP. If it was someone trying to come in here to start a riot with some story about how their cousins uncles twin nephew beat a fbody with a moped then yeah I'd probably not post kindly.

Originally Posted by Beans

The older 6 bolt motors (what i have) are very reliable.

The newer 7 bolt engines are famous for exploding whenever they please due to crank walk. Stock transmissions aren't great, but the built transmissions are reasonably priced and very solid.

Transfer cases break mostly due to wheelhop. Preloading the driveline instead of dropping the clutch helps a lot. High powered cars with good rubber and suspension on the soft side can break them. 13 second cars driven by idiots can break them also...kinda like LS1 F-bodies and 10-bolt axles.

Clutches are a big PITA. The single discs dont last, and the twins are expensive ($1000-$2300) and terrible on the street (basically on/off switches). There's no great option for a high hp street car. There's a new twin disc on the market, but no seriously high powered cars are testing it yet. This is why I roll race whenever possible.
Is it true that you can swap an evo vIII(4g63) engine into a AWD dsm? My friend of a friend is saying he did that but I can't really believe that he did. I really wish the *** would put up. Seriously, the guy asks me what my 60 ft with a smart *** smirk on his face as that is the only performance measure he seems to give a rats *** about.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Am I on candid camera? This thread can't really be happening!
Spit my drink out at the tattoo comment...
OP, Good kill!
+1, threads like these are the only reason I even open the SRK section...well, that and bolt-on LS1s claiming they walked crotch rockets .

All jokes aside OP has a killer import - the exact opposite of rice. Built to hell on the inside, innocent looking on the outside .

Props for a killer ride Beans .
Old 11-17-2010, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Is it true that you can swap an evo vIII(4g63) engine into a AWD dsm? My friend of a friend is saying he did that but I can't really believe that he did. I really wish the *** would put up. Seriously, the guy asks me what my 60 ft with a smart *** smirk on his face as that is the only performance measure he seems to give a rats *** about.
99.999% chance the guy is a liar. While the stock engine in a DSM is an older version of the 4G63, the evo 8 engine is very different.

Nothing bolts up. Nothing. The front of a DSM engine is on the drivers side, trans on the passenger side. The Evo 4+ is the opposite with the engine on the passenger side, and trans on the drivers side.

Everything would need to be custom. Intake mani, exhaust mani, motor mounts, trans setup, all of it. It makes no sense to do this swap, which is why no one does it. I don't know if it has ever been done.

You can make just as much power with a properly built DSM engine, at a fraction of the cost. Lets not forget DSMs still hold all the 4cyl AWD drag records. There isn't an Evo on the planet that can come anywhere near Shepherd's Talon.

Is it physically possible to do? Sure. Would it be very expensive and completely pointless. Yes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Beans, good kill. That's a clean and badass ride you have there! I've always been a fan of a clean DSM. I see you're only one state away, we'll have to meet up next year for some cruising

I really thought that SexyTransAm's avatar pic was just something he found on the internet. Then I clicked on the link in his sig and realized that it's an actual picture of a real tattoo that he has...just wow...

SexyTransAm, stop being a grade A douche. I was going to say that people post roll races involving GM cars all the time and I never see you calling them out...but I see that topic has already been researched and used to pwn you.

That is why I love this site!!! No punches are ever pulled and no BS politically correct crap.
All you guys who stated "Why are you posting this on an LSX site", are right. It had nothing to do with a GM product.
I am a Mustang guys (formerly a 2001 Z28 LS1 owner) and I would never post a kill or lose story on this site if it did not have a GM product associated with it. That is just me though.
On top of this, the two cars racing were both rice and not even American made. I think you have to have a lot of ***** to post this here.
Good for you guys on this site!
This country would be a lot better off also if this politically correct crap would stop already. Why does everyone get so offended when something is said to them that they do not like. Take the skirt off, loose the EGO and suck it up! If you got offended with what someone said, call him outside and settle it like a man..just like people did 50+ years ago.
The more good race stories the better

You got the best color Mach 1, btw
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM
***Repost Police***

That is why I love this site!!! No punches are ever pulled and no BS politically correct crap.
All you guys who stated "Why are you posting this on an LSX site", are right. It had nothing to do with a GM product.
I am a Mustang guys (formerly a 2001 Z28 LS1 owner) and I would never post a kill or lose story on this site if it did not have a GM product associated with it. That is just me though.
On top of this, the two cars racing were both rice and not even American made. I think you have to have a lot of ***** to post this here.

Good for you guys on this site!
This country would be a lot better off also if this politically correct crap would stop already. Why does everyone get so offended when something is said to them that they do not like. Take the skirt off, loose the EGO and suck it up! If you got offended with what someone said, call him outside and settle it like a man..just like people did 50+ years ago.
The way I see it, if you are a reputable and/or contributing member to the site, it doesn't matter what the cars are that you post about. And as for the "not even American made" part...
Originally Posted by jsteele90
how is a car built in normal, illinois rice? at least his car was built in america mine was built in CANADA ayyy. good kill OP ive owned 3 turbo dsm's and they are great sleepers.
The Eclipse/Talon/Laser was built in America
Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice kill OP. Sick car. **** the haters. Killemall posts his crap in here all the time and never gets **** for it....Well except when he makes up terms for measuring horsepower.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
All jokes aside OP has a killer import - the exact opposite of rice. Built to hell on the inside, innocent looking on the outside .

Props for a killer ride Beans .
Thanks. Best wishes on deep 10s N/A!

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Beans, good kill. That's a clean and badass ride you have there! I've always been a fan of a clean DSM. I see you're only one state away, we'll have to meet up next year for some cruising
I've seen a dozen vids by you, PSM and the guy with the Shelby. You guys are legit enthusiasts that race smart. I'd be happy to make the drive to Hartford for some cruising, and of course some "cruising".

I've got a jug of C16 in the garage, PSM has a quick 600.....

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
Nice kill OP. Sick car. **** the haters. Killemall posts his crap in here all the time and never gets **** for it....Well except when he makes up terms for measuring horsepower.
Thanks. Killemall gets plenty of crap, but none of it relative to his car. He will never live down "raw whp"
Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Teching In

lololol^

Yeah I wouldnt be here if it wasnt for these threads. It gets boring reading the same H/C LS1 vs Cam/Spray LS1. You'll notice all the non GM vs GM or nonGM vs nonGM threads get the most hits =).

Its also nice to see what the competition is like out there, and what to expect from different mods and setups.

And being a car guy, I respect everything thats fast and clean because it means the owner put time into something. Usually people who take their time to do things are generally cooler then the guys who just buy V6 mustangs and rebadge them as GT's for some reason (WTF IS WITH THAT TREND SERIOUSLY?)
Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
the guys who just buy V6 mustangs and rebadge them as GT's for some reason (WTF IS WITH THAT TREND SERIOUSLY?)
LOL because dats JDM yo
Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 PM
***Repost Police***

I was driving around a few years ago and saw a guy w/ a pretty nice LT1 Corvette up ahead of me at a light. As I pull up to the light, I notice a "ZR1" badge on the back. I couldn't even look at him for more than a second at the light without saying something. I wish I had been driving mom's Vette at the time instead of my Mustang, so he would have looked at me, cuz I would have considered that an invitation to talk ****
Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L BYT
LOL because dats JDM yo
Bro, your avatar makes me want to vomit. It looks like man a guys legs with a thong.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM
***Repost Police***

I gotta disagree on that one man... just looks like a girl in an awkward pose.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
I haven't been coming to LS1tech in a while. I don't know why. I forgot how awesome this place is.

lol..if you want some more checkout in the western forum how tech fills about a rich black guy with a bugatti
Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

In on **** talking thread. **** you ricer phaggots go choke on a dick. I bet you walk your crank more then you walk your dog, dont you, you POS DSM PHAGGOTS!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Originally Posted by Beans
I've seen a dozen vids by you, PSM and the guy with the Shelby. You guys are legit enthusiasts that race smart. I'd be happy to make the drive to Hartford for some cruising, and of course some "cruising".

I've got a jug of C16 in the garage, PSM has a quick 600.....
This is going to make for one good thread

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
You'll notice all the non GM vs GM or nonGM vs nonGM threads get the most hits =).
You obviously don't know this section as well as you think you do. The threads that get the most hits are the ones with "2011 GT 5.0" in the title, or the username "Stopsign32v" underneath the thread title. These are instant 2,000+ hit threads.

Quick Reply: High school kids get a lesson (Jetta vs DSM)