Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

High school kids get a lesson (Jetta vs DSM)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Doh and i was gonna ask if u wanted my 28" mickey thompson setup on the race stars (skinnies in the front) lol
Appreciated and I would definitely buy them off you, but I think 26" tires will look alot better, especially after I lower the car.

I do think I'm going to get a new set of drag wheels eventually, and I really like the Weld S71 with the black spokes.

Originally Posted by WSsick
Why not do all of that at once? That would make for a REALLY good thread.
Haha, I would love to do a huge 10k build like the one AChotrod had in the epic thread back in late 2008: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-speedinc.html

The funds aren't there for a build like this though, so I'll have to stick to my plan of fixing the rear and then see what route I want to take for more speed upgrades

This is one of the reasons for me selling the G8. I'm sick of having to save up for every single mod on the Z28 and I want to have the money freed up each paycheck to mod up faster.

Originally Posted by Beans
I'm done putting big $$ in this car. Time to enjoy it as is and start saving for the next car.
That sounds like a good plan! I'll probably never be totally done with the Z28, but there will be a point where I can sit back and enjoy it as is for a good long while. I'll use that time to plan my next project (I've already started brainstorming, but I guess most people call it daydreaming )

Was that porsche a dual clutch trans?

Solid plans for your car. What are you expecting to trap on a 125-150 shot?
I'm not sure on the Porsche. PSM might know because he's always more up on those kinds of cars. I do hope to get a run in with it next year, but I fully expect to get smoked. The dude does love dig races, even though he burns all four tires in the Porsche

I'd love to trap like 129ish on a 125 shot, and 131ish on a 150 shot. I've been thinking about doing a new cam since mine isn't optimized for the heads. Also, I have a FAST 90/90 intake ready to go on, but while some people gain 20 rwhp, some don't see any gains, so who knows if that will help or not.

LT/LS Guy, do you have any more pictures of your car? It looks sick in your sig with that wheel/tire combo!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I was drunk last night and meant to type "ZR1" instead of "LT4."
Gotcha. The ZR1's flared fenders and 315's out back made it easily distinguishable.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
lololol^

Yeah I wouldnt be here if it wasnt for these threads. It gets boring reading the same H/C LS1 vs Cam/Spray LS1. You'll notice all the non GM vs GM or nonGM vs nonGM threads get the most hits =).

Its also nice to see what the competition is like out there, and what to expect from different mods and setups.

And being a car guy, I respect everything thats fast and clean because it means the owner put time into something.
Usually people who take their time to do things are generally cooler then the guys who just buy V6 mustangs and rebadge them as GT's for some reason (WTF IS WITH THAT TREND SERIOUSLY?)
Word for word how I am. I like reading about other potentially fast cars not ls powered, plus I am a fan of TONS of different vehicles and want to build several different things...such as a teg or civic like yours. I actually want to do what Soljmatwhateverhisnameis did. 99 b16a civic si with a 30 or 35r. On e85, that would be one hell of a DD.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
Alright, I was just curious.

He filmed for the UW Formula team a couple of years ago, and is a car guy (DSMer).
Oh, I see. Yeah, I've only been seriously involved with the team for the past year or so....for some reason the name did seem familiar (probably heard him mentioned at a meeting or something) but without making that connection I didn't know, lol. Did you used to be part of the Formula team?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Oh, I see. Yeah, I've only been seriously involved with the team for the past year or so....for some reason the name did seem familiar (probably heard him mentioned at a meeting or something) but without making that connection I didn't know, lol. Did you used to be part of the Formula team?
No, I don't even really know him that well, but his dad is my highschool's (graduated in '07) superintendent.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna say this right now: Any one with any street legal vehicle is not only allowed but encouraged to post their race stories and videos up for everyone's enjoyment. I don't care if it's LSX/LTX, import, Ford, Mopar, exotics, bikes, old school muscle, or a freakin street legal dirtbike. I personally enjoy reading all of the race/kill stories I can regardless of make, model, engine type, number of wheels, etc, and I know the majority of the members we have here do, as well. This site may be focused on GM motors in terms of the tech-side of things, but in this section all are welcome. If you don't want to read a non-GM kill story, then don't click on the title that says "Jetta vs DSM" and then bitch about it. And I also don't care if it's a dig or roll race; they're both fun and they both have their purpose, so enough with this "dig or nothing" holier-than-thou bullshit.

I've seen a dozen vids by you, PSM and the guy with the Shelby. You guys are legit enthusiasts that race smart. I'd be happy to make the drive to Hartford for some cruising, and of course some "cruising".

I've got a jug of C16 in the garage, PSM has a quick 600.....
I'm down anytime when it warms up. The bike is quick but it's far from unbeatable; just a lot tougher from 40mph than anywhere else unless you wanna go past 130mph where it really loses steam. We can try any rolls or digs you want, though. I honestly think 540whp in a car that weighs 3,000 pounds or less is enough to take me from just about anywhere if you can drive, or at least enough to make it very interesting.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Teching In

What kind of GM site are you guys running here to let "ricers" like this hang out and even worse befriend them! OMG!!

JK! Nice car Beans!

Oh and can someone tell me what the hell DSM means??
Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by *CAMARO*
What kind of GM site are you guys running here to let "ricers" like this hang out and even worse befriend them! OMG!!

JK! Nice car Beans!

Dick Sucking Mitsubishi

I couldnt help it.

I didnt know so many ricers were so envious of LS equipped vehicles that they had to join the forum. I guess it helps them to dream about cars with real power and.......Torque....
Old 11-19-2010, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by *CAMARO*

JK! Nice car Beans!

Thanks, DSM = Diamond Star Motors, the conglomerate between Mitsu, Plymouth and Eagle to build the 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-99) Eclipse, Laser, Talon. Galant VR-4s are also considered DSMs.

Originally Posted by JM0523
Dick Sucking Mitsubishi

I couldnt help it.

I didnt know so many ricers were so envious of LS equipped vehicles that they had to join the forum. I guess it helps them to dream about cars with real power and.......Torque....
Of course the guy with the barely modded car has the biggest mouth.

Your real car makes less Tq at the wheels on nitrous than my ricer.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Dick Sucking Mitsubishi

I couldnt help it.

Envious of the engine maybe. Not really the cars they put them into. Aside from a select few.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Dick Sucking Mitsubishi

I couldnt help it.

Run me with ur 100 shot

My Hold On Not Done Accelerating will woop that ***.

MUAHAHA
Old 11-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Run me with ur 100 shot

MUAHAHA
You've been saving that one for a while now I bet
Old 11-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Thanks, DSM = Diamond Star Motors, the conglomerate between Mitsu, Plymouth and Eagle to build the 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-99) Eclipse, Laser, Talon. Galant VR-4s are also considered DSMs.

Of course the guy with the barely modded car has the biggest mouth.

Your real car makes less Tq at the wheels on nitrous than my ricer.

Well if you think about this logically, your claiming 428hp out of your 4 cylinder, what are your torque numbers? How much modification have you done?
Like you said my car is very lightly modded, 350hp give or take at the flywheel from the factory, intake and cutout dont really do **** maybe 10-15hp so say 365hp, some ricer like you i stick the 150 jets in, granted that may not be at the wheels, i dont know how Harris rates their kits, so thats 515hp on spray and from what ive read the torque will be about the same, i dont really see a little 4 banger putting out over 500lbs of torque, but thats just me.

Now lets see your 4 banger make those numbers with next to nothing done to it, im proud that my "barely modded car" could lay the smackdown on your fully built car on a wheel dyno.

Now i have had my helping of rice boy mentality for the day.

And by the way the DSM thing was a joke.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Well this was just posted today. Aside from some headwork...

Originally Posted by Bugermass
Well so it was time to break another record for stock block LS.

Stock bottom end, ported head with our regrind cams, 20G with ebay tubular manifold

@21 PSI on Q16.

Would have gone more, but the injectors were maxed out.

Track times this saturday.
Evos with a boost controller/tune and e85 will do 400whp on stock everything.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Run me with ur 100 shot

MUAHAHA
I have no doubt there are hondas out there that can whip my ***, ive already had my *** handed to me by a hatch with a forged b18 on 25psi, i know what cars can smoke me and what ones cant, as soon as im forged and turbo'd with equal mods as guys like you ill gladly race for money, honda guys seem to think its fun to talk **** to stock guys when they have to go all forged and run huge amounts of boost to take down a stock V8.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Well this was just posted today. Aside from some headwork...

Evos with a boost controller/tune and e85 will do 400whp on stock everything.

Every time i see your black EX it makes me want to do a Honda build, i like the clean stock look, and the 500hp under the hood definantly sounds appealing.

How come honda guys dont do more H22 turbo swaps?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

b/c u stock guys talk the most crap for no reason - so we give it right back

but just some food for thought:
your full exhaust and intake pays for a swapped motor built and for the price of a cam i can get a turbo kit haha

so mod for mod id rather say dollar for dollar - just cheaper to build hondas.. keep in mind i have real world experience!

How come honda guys dont do more H22 turbo swaps?
My good friend turboing his H22 swapped Del Sol - should be done in a week or 2, hope to have some videos to share
Old 11-19-2010, 02:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Well if you think about this logically, your claiming 428hp out of your 4 cylinder, what are your torque numbers? How much modification have you done?
Like you said my car is very lightly modded, 350hp give or take at the flywheel from the factory, intake and cutout dont really do **** maybe 10-15hp so say 365hp, some ricer like you i stick the 150 jets in, granted that may not be at the wheels, i dont know how Harris rates their kits, so thats 515hp on spray and from what ive read the torque will be about the same, i dont really see a little 4 banger putting out over 500lbs of torque, but thats just me.

Now lets see your 4 banger make those numbers with next to nothing done to it, im proud that my "barely modded car" could lay the smackdown on your fully built car on a wheel dyno.

Now i have had my helping of rice boy mentality for the day.

And by the way the DSM thing was a joke.
I didn't know that we raced dyno sheets...
Old 11-19-2010, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and for the price of a cam i can get a turbo kit haha
damn that must be a awesome turbo kit for 400 dollars
Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jsteele90
damn that must be a awesome turbo kit for 400 dollars
haha didn't say it was a good kit, just that its possible

Quick Reply: High school kids get a lesson (Jetta vs DSM)