Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

High school kids get a lesson (Jetta vs DSM)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I was driving around a few years ago and saw a guy w/ a pretty nice LT1 Corvette up ahead of me at a light. As I pull up to the light, I notice a "ZR1" badge on the back. I couldn't even look at him for more than a second at the light without saying something. I wish I had been driving mom's Vette at the time instead of my Mustang, so he would have looked at me, cuz I would have considered that an invitation to talk ****
Its hard to distinguish a ZR1 LT5 vette from a regular LT1 vette. Just saying.

Good kill OP, I love a clean DSM. At least the guys just wanted to see you go. I've had a few guys do that, get up next to me just trying to get me to open it up so they can see what its like. People like SexyTranny give this section a bad name, nothing wrong with a good kill story from any kind of car.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know at least 5 ways to tell an LT1 Vette from a ZR1. It wasn't an LT1, trust me.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know at least 5 ways to tell an LT1 Vette from a ZR1. It wasn't an LT1, trust me.
So it was a ZR1? Just kidding man some people have never heard of a ZR1 until last year, I wasn't going to assume even though you're usually on top of your ****.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 AM
***Repost Police***

Haha no man, my mom bought a '94 LT1 in '99 when I was 14, and I made it my mission to know as much as I could about Corvettes. I could tell an LT1 from an L98 from 50 yards, and an LT1 from a ZR1 from 200.

Last edited by Irunelevens; 11-23-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good kill!

I can respect a DSM considering I used to be a DSM'er lol my winter beater is a 03 Eclipse GS (mom's old car). I used to own a 95 VR4 for a little bit but then I sold it shortly thereafter
Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kill OP. I don't like racing against people at those speeds, but if there's no traffic around the only person you could harm is yourself, and it's a personal decision (not trying to be a dad here, lol, just saying).

I've always liked DSM's a little, but I'm still a fan of American cars more so. Actually, when I was in high school a friend of mine told me not to get an LS1 because the extra friction from the extra 4 cylinders would make my engine output the same power as his non-turbo FWD Talon Those people make me cringe, but definite props to someone like you who can take a car like that, make it legitimately fast, and keep it looking like stock (when it's usually the other way around)! When I graduate, I'd love to have my Formula along with a DSM, STi, or something of the like to try something new
Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Nice kill OP. I don't like racing against people at those speeds, but if there's no traffic around the only person you could harm is yourself, and it's a personal decision (not trying to be a dad here, lol, just saying).

I've always liked DSM's a little, but I'm still a fan of American cars more so. Actually, when I was in high school a friend of mine told me not to get an LS1 because the extra friction from the extra 4 cylinders would make my engine output the same power as his non-turbo FWD Talon Those people make me cringe, but definite props to someone like you who can take a car like that, make it legitimately fast, and keep it looking like stock (when it's usually the other way around)! When I graduate, I'd love to have my Formula along with a DSM, STi, or something of the like to try something new
Do you know a certain Kevan Bates, per chance?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Beans
I've seen a dozen vids by you, PSM and the guy with the Shelby. You guys are legit enthusiasts that race smart. I'd be happy to make the drive to Hartford for some cruising, and of course some "cruising".

I've got a jug of C16 in the garage, PSM has a quick 600.....
Any idea what your car makes with the current setup on race gas? Any plans over the winter?

That bike is definitely fast as hell, especially from a 40 mph roll, but not unkillable. I know PSM has been looking for someone to straight up run away from him

Originally Posted by WSsick
This is going to make for one good thread
I started pricing out parts yesterday so I can get my Z28 fixed. I'm hoping to come out strong next year and either post up a ton of good races or break my car again
Old 11-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Haha no man, my mom bought a '94 LT1 in '99 when I was 14, and I made it my mission to know as much as I could about Corvettes. I could tell an LT1 from an L98 from 50 yards, and an LT1 from an LT4 by 200.
How do you manage to do that? Aside from the obvious Grand Sport, the base Corvette LT1/LT4 and Collectors Edition LT1/LT4 look virtually identical to one another.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Any idea what your car makes with the current setup on race gas? Any plans over the winter?

That bike is definitely fast as hell, especially from a 40 mph roll, but not unkillable. I know PSM has been looking for someone to straight up run away from him
I saw his race with the Cobras, so i can't imagine i will hang from a 40 roll. I just don't think this turbo can make the power that would take.

I've never tuned on C16 and meth, so i don't know how much power i can expect to gain over pump and meth. I think the absolute max for this setup would be about 540whp. I'm 800+lbs lighter than those cobras, but i still don't think it's enough from 40.

Plans for the winter are scattershield, basic 8pt roll cage, bigger injectors (my 85lb injectors are beyond maxed out) and a little more fuel pump. When i have a little extra $ in the summer it's going to get a better clutch and DRs on all 4.

I started pricing out parts yesterday so I can get my Z28 fixed. I'm hoping to come out strong next year and either post up a ton of good races or break my car again
Solid, what's the game plan?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Time to get some ID2000s, twin walbros and a bigger turbo =)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
Do you know a certain Kevan Bates, per chance?
...no?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM

I saw his race with the Cobras, so i can't imagine i will hang from a 40 roll. I just don't think this turbo can make the power that would take.

I've never tuned on C16 and meth, so i don't know how much power i can expect to gain over pump and meth. I think the absolute max for this setup would be about 540whp. I'm 800+lbs lighter than those cobras, but i still don't think it's enough from 40.

Plans for the winter are scattershield, basic 8pt roll cage, bigger injectors (my 85lb injectors are beyond maxed out) and a little more fuel pump. When i have a little extra $ in the summer it's going to get a better clutch and DRs on all 4.
Yeah, the bike is a totally different animal from 40 mph than from 70 mph. Even so, that TT Porsche that PSM ran didn't really drop back at all from a 40 mph roll when he brake boosted and was pulling hard once they got going. 540 whp and a car that weighs 3000 or less would have a very good chance of beating the bike I think.

Solid, what's the game plan?
Sounds like you have a good plan for yours. I'm kind of at the same point where I need to get a cage and fix up my fuel system so that I can hit it with a 125 or 150 shot and make sure it's all as safe as I can make it for the motor. I also want to redo the nitrous system, moving the bottle to the back and put my rear seats back in (right now the bottle is mounted right behind the driver seat).

First up on my list though is to fix the rear. The current setup is a Moser 12-bolt with a spool and 4.10's (which are broken). I swapped the spool in it last year when the Eaton posi blew, but it just plain sucks on the street. I can deal with the rear of the car jumping all around when taking tight turns, but the tires get all chewed up and then won't hook for anything. I went from being able to spray it in first gear and hook to zero traction in first on motor, with the same tires.

Also, with a 27" tire, I had to up my window switch from 6600 rpm to 6800 rpm because the nitrous shut off at the end of the track. I had a set of 28" tires that I used sometimes, but I don't like the way the car looks with them and then the speedo is off.

My plan for the rear rebuild is a set of 3.73's with an Eaton posi that I'm going to rebuild with upgraded spider gears. Then I'm going to get a set of 26" MT drag radials for by 17" Torque Thrust M wheels and for my 15" Weld Draglites. The 3.73's with 26" tires will give me more mph in 4th than the previous 4.10's with 28" tires.

Once the rear is done I will be able to drive the car again and I can plan my next round of upgrades from there.

I'm hoping to make a couple mini roadtrips this year to meet up with some of the people that live in the surrounding states
Old 11-18-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Doh and i was gonna ask if u wanted my 28" mickey thompson setup on the race stars (skinnies in the front) lol
Old 11-18-2010, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Random question:
-How do you know which 97 f-bodies got the LT4? .....Reason I ask is we saw home guy selling a ~25k mile (I think) LT4 6 speed WS6. Red intake manifold the only way?

Why not do all of that at once? That would make for a REALLY good thread.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
Bro, your avatar makes me want to vomit. It looks like man a guys legs with a thong.
LMAO, i believe it was confirmed in another thread that it was actually him in a thong!!!

Adding fuel to the fire, you guys should check out OP's lower back tat....

Old 11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
How do you manage to do that? Aside from the obvious Grand Sport, the base Corvette LT1/LT4 and Collectors Edition LT1/LT4 look virtually identical to one another.
I was drunk last night and meant to type "ZR1" instead of "LT4."
Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Time to get some ID2000s, twin walbros and a bigger turbo =)
Nah, i'm keeping it simple. Rewiring the Walbro 255, a set of 1200cc injectors and the same turbo. I use a lot of meth (800cc) so that takes some load off the fuel system, so i can get away with a single 255.

I'm done putting big $$ in this car. Time to enjoy it as is and start saving for the next car.

Yeah, the bike is a totally different animal from 40 mph than from 70 mph. Even so, that TT Porsche that PSM ran didn't really drop back at all from a 40 mph roll when he brake boosted and was pulling hard once they got going.
Was that porsche a dual clutch trans?

Solid plans for your car. What are you expecting to trap on a 125-150 shot?

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28

Adding fuel to the fire, you guys should check out OP's lower back tat....
Lol, if that were on my back i'd remove it with a chainsaw.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
Random question:
-How do you know which 97 f-bodies got the LT4? .....Reason I ask is we saw home guy selling a ~25k mile (I think) LT4 6 speed WS6. Red intake manifold the only way?
If it was a WS6 it is not a factory LT4 car. The LT4 only came in the '97 SLP Firehawk, and there were only a total of 30 built including one demo car. The only way to tell an LT4 apart from a regular lt1 hawk is the "330HP" badge on the hood.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
...no?

Alright, I was just curious.

He filmed for the UW Formula team a couple of years ago, and is a car guy (DSMer).

Quick Reply: High school kids get a lesson (Jetta vs DSM)