Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

High school kids get a lesson (Jetta vs DSM)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I didn't know that we raced dyno sheets...
No but last time i checked the only place you could find out which car made more torque was on the dyno. He claimed he made more torque.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JM0523
Well if you think about this logically, your claiming 428hp out of your 4 cylinder, what are your torque numbers? How much modification have you done?
Like you said my car is very lightly modded, 350hp give or take at the flywheel from the factory, intake and cutout dont really do **** maybe 10-15hp so say 365hp, some ricer like you i stick the 150 jets in, granted that may not be at the wheels, i dont know how Harris rates their kits, so thats 515hp on spray and from what ive read the torque will be about the same, i dont really see a little 4 banger putting out over 500lbs of torque, but thats just me.

Now lets see your 4 banger make those numbers with next to nothing done to it, im proud that my "barely modded car" could lay the smackdown on your fully built car on a wheel dyno.

Now i have had my helping of rice boy mentality for the day.

And by the way the DSM thing was a joke.
I know the DSM thing was a joke.

If we assume a 150 shot and 18% driveline loss for you (auto trans), 515tq = 435wtq.

I made 369wtq on 23 psi with baby cams, pump gas, and a stock intake mani. I haven't been back on the dyno, but the car has MUCH more midrange power on 32 psi. Similar setups have made 450-485wtq at my current boost level.

4 bangers can make TQ, we just can't do it at the low rpm a bigger motor can. IIRC my TQ peak was about 5500RPM.

As far as the built motor, it's not at all necessary for this power level. The original bottom end was tired from 185K miles and 10 years of weekend drag racing with an upgraded turbo. Plenty of people are making more power than i am with stock bottom ends.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Teching In

There is at least one stock-block DSM in the 9s.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Launching!

One of the fastest street cars at Firebird in boise was a 2nd gen gsx I think it ran low 10's high 9's on 4 slicks, it was pretty bad ***.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

apparently some people dont understand a meaning of rice here...
sure its an import but dude makes 400whp with his dsm... i gotta give props on that
Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
This is true.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Teching In

i dont really see a little 4 banger putting out over 500lbs of torque, but thats just me.
Been there done that on an actual dyno, not using some ricer math of what the manufacturer rates my car at.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How come honda guys dont do more H22 turbo swaps?

The H22 is such a heavy swap it makes your eg/ek Honda handle like ****. Ive heard you can correct the handling problem with suspension but by then youll have so much $$ in it you may as well done a boosted b series.

I asked the same question a while back when I was looking for a swap for my ek and saw the torque numbers of the h series
Old 11-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The way I see it, if you are a reputable and/or contributing member to the site, it doesn't matter what the cars are that you post about. And as for the "not even American made" part...

The Eclipse/Talon/Laser was built in America
SR&K section should state "All makes and models welcome" IMO. As far as the "built in America" thing: It was ASSEMBLED in America, not BUILT. And the profits, patents, and designing (the three things that truly describe the trade deficit we have been faced with and is killing our country). GM spends BILLIONS on research, BILLIONS on design, BILLIONS on tooling and automation- then quickly assemble a building, throw in the prebuilt assembling equipment, and hire some schmoes to run the machines and pay them $15-20 an hour to do it.

Why do you think Japan, Korea, and even China have been so hostile and unbudging on allowing our car companies to go into there countries unfettered? Hell, in all honesty, America is filled with a bunch of friggin idiots for electing the fellow idiots who allow us to get raped on trade. "Free Trade" my ***.
sure its an import but dude makes 400whp with his dsm... i gotta give props on that
His Talon is less of a factory rice car than a Evo, WRX, Speed3, etc. including both the GTO & WS6 (fins, hoodscoops, etc. tacked onto a otherwise bland body to make it look higher performance). Seriously fellas, look back in history to find the meaning of Rice: Started obviously in Japan, where the street scene was hit with a massive influx of money that was earned by the Japanese suit and tie working class.

They generally lived at home or in tiny little 300-400sqft apartments but made over twice as much money as the average worker in the US. Cars became a very universal means of self expression as people spent so much time in and around them. So they started custom painting them and tacking **** onto them: wings, spoilers, scoops, etc. Getting more and more outrageous as everyone else copied each other. Sure there was the much smaller segment that spent there money on performance- performance which did more to boost there popularity worldwide than any 3 or 4 tier goofy *** wing- but the majority were simply about parking there rolling works of art and talking about them.

It worked its way over here when import owning dorks wanted to emulate the Japanese:to earn creditability they started with importing go fast parts , then go fast engines- then it rolled from there to where its at now.

Even back in the 80's you didnt have car guys calling fast imports 'ricers' unless they did the tacked on wings/body kits/ etc. that was so popular in Japanese society as a whole. Gearheads recognize gearheads, no matter the nationality. And we ALL recognize jackasses that only care about trying to be the head guy of the "me too" crowd that is epitomized by the domestic billet Hot Rod car show crowd or Japanese emulating Ricer crowd with there tacked on bodywork and massive stereo/entertainment systems.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
There is at least one stock-block DSM in the 9s.
Yeah, he's local to me. That motor had 600+ passes on it several years ago, and has been over 550whp for a few years now. It's never been refreshed or anything, all original 100K mile bottom end. He finally said screw it, cranked the boost to 40 psi (he thinks about 625whp) ran a bunch of 10.0-10.2 passes and finally and put it in the 9s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5qD61vPWgM

A lot of domestic owners assume all imports are "rice", slow, etc. The fact is most of them are, so i don't fault anyone for the assumption.

At times it's annoying, but at times it's really fun.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
SR&K section should state "All makes and models welcome" IMO. As far as the "built in America" thing: It was ASSEMBLED in America, not BUILT. And the profits, patents, and designing (the three things that truly describe the trade deficit we have been faced with and is killing our country). GM spends BILLIONS on research, BILLIONS on design, BILLIONS on tooling and automation- then quickly assemble a building, throw in the prebuilt assembling equipment, and hire some schmoes to run the machines and pay them $15-20 an hour to do it.

Why do you think Japan, Korea, and even China have been so hostile and unbudging on allowing our car companies to go into there countries unfettered? Hell, in all honesty, America is filled with a bunch of friggin idiots for electing the fellow idiots who allow us to get raped on trade. "Free Trade" my ***.

His Talon is less of a factory rice car than a Evo, WRX, Speed3, etc. including both the GTO & WS6 (fins, hoodscoops, etc. tacked onto a otherwise bland body to make it look higher performance). Seriously fellas, look back in history to find the meaning of Rice: Started obviously in Japan, where the street scene was hit with a massive influx of money that was earned by the Japanese suit and tie working class.

They generally lived at home or in tiny little 300-400sqft apartments but made over twice as much money as the average worker in the US. Cars became a very universal means of self expression as people spent so much time in and around them. So they started custom painting them and tacking **** onto them: wings, spoilers, scoops, etc. Getting more and more outrageous as everyone else copied each other. Sure there was the much smaller segment that spent there money on performance- performance which did more to boost there popularity worldwide than any 3 or 4 tier goofy *** wing- but the majority were simply about parking there rolling works of art and talking about them.

It worked its way over here when import owning dorks wanted to emulate the Japanese:to earn creditability they started with importing go fast parts , then go fast engines- then it rolled from there to where its at now.

Even back in the 80's you didnt have car guys calling fast imports 'ricers' unless they did the tacked on wings/body kits/ etc. that was so popular in Japanese society as a whole. Gearheads recognize gearheads, no matter the nationality. And we ALL recognize jackasses that only care about trying to be the head guy of the "me too" crowd that is epitomized by the domestic billet Hot Rod car show crowd or Japanese emulating Ricer crowd with there tacked on bodywork and massive stereo/entertainment systems.
Dude!!! You are the man! Very nicely said. If you were running for President, I would vote for you over and over again. Finally... glad to see someone who has a handle on what's really going on! ..
Old 11-20-2010, 03:26 PM

^Yeah, definitely a good post, Sticks n Stones.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^x2
Old 11-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks fellas, sometimes you gotta remind people of where things stand. Too many people get there so-called news and current events from blogs and forums and have no friggin clue what brought about what.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Lol Just wondering.....What happened to the guy that stirred the pot in this thread? Seems to have dissapeard
Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's stirring up **** elsewhere on the site, since he knew he got his *** handed to him by all of us. Doubt we'll see him around here for a while. Saw him coming to the defense of the almighty LT1 in a stupid LS1 vs LT1 thread.

Found it! (Yes, I'm a creeper. )

https://ls1tech.com/forums/14141724-post75.html

He has another post bitching about how LS1 guys switch to other blocks, inplying that it's like cheating or something. Someone's bitter.

Last edited by WSsick; 11-21-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSsick
He's stirring up **** elsewhere on the site, since he knew he got his *** handed to him by all of us. Doubt we'll see him around here for a while. Saw him coming to the defense of the almighty LT1 in a stupid LS1 vs LT1 thread.

Found it! (Yes, I'm a creeper. )

https://ls1tech.com/forums/14141724-post75.html

He has another post bitching about how LS1 guys switch to other blocks, inplying that it's like cheating or something. Someone's bitter.
There's a lot of LS1 driving dicks on here as well!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by *CAMARO*
There's a lot of LS1 driving dicks on here as well!
SexyTranAm's (aka SexyTat) alter ego?

PS, I wonder why he changed his avatar?
Old 11-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
SexyTranAm's (aka SexyTat) alter ego?

PS, I wonder why he changed his avatar?
LS1 swap guys seem to be dicks too!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

they just registered and his name looks just as gay as sexytransam - so ill say yes it's him lol

Quick Reply: High school kids get a lesson (Jetta vs DSM)