Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs 2000 ss

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Preston99WS6
Funny I never said that the new 5.0 mustang couldnt run in the 12s in fact if you spent a good bit of time at a track "the low to mid 8s in the 1/8 I said they routinely run", puts them right there I have even seen a few 11 sec 1/4

The new 5.0 does run good and it ought too only took the ford boys ten years to come up with a answer to the LSX series (meaning a decent flowing head from the factory.) it was getting pretty boring for me having to run terminators/bikes/and other LSX stuff all the time. I am just curious to see how well the cast aluminum pistons hold up in the 5.0s, only time will tell.
...and it only took the GM boys 8 years to come back with an F-body
Most pointless statement ever..."Ford Boys" could say the same thing about the fox body Mustang's dominance in the 80s. Although I do know what you mean, the "it's about time" argument is retarded.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny I never said that the new 5.0 mustang couldnt run in the 12s in fact if you spent a good bit of time at a track "the low to mid 8s in the 1/8 I said they routinely run", puts them right there I have even seen a few 11 sec 1/4

The new 5.0 does run good and it ought too only took the ford boys ten years to come up with a answer to the LSX series (meaning a decent flowing head from the factory.) it was getting pretty boring for me having to run terminators/bikes/and other LSX stuff all the time. I am just curious to see how well the cast aluminum pistons hold up in the 5.0s, only time will tell.
Here we go again...

C'mon... It only took 10yrs? Imagination aside, that's simply not true. One could argue it took GM 7yrs just to put 4 wheels and a drive train together again with a pony car body... Pointless.

It would behoove you to learn more about the Ford DOHC engines and their overall capabilities. To illustrate my point, if it really took 10yrs for Ford to "answer" the LSX series, 6.20's on the 1/4 mile says I can't friggin' tell. To the "making power and applying it to the track" end, Ford is doing just fine and frankly, I'm tired of HAVING to defend them just because people like to pick on 'em even when those people haven't a prayer of keeping up with them. Look at all your mods... Don't brag too much about "having" to race specific X...

You've evidently got an entire engine replacement. If the LS is so great, why'd ya switch to the LQ? Block strength is surely main the answer, as it can't be weight savings. With an aluminum 4.6L, that wouldn't be necessary. To that end, it's apparent the "Ford answer" to the LS series was offered BEFORE the LS series. That whole "ten years" thing is as pointless as the "where was the Camaro" thing.

Honestly, I'm really tired of defending the DOHC, but seriously... It's long since been proven. All this ridiculous and useless bashing isn't teaching us a thing.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by snake95
...and it only took the GM boys 8 years to come back with an F-body
Most pointless statement ever..."Ford Boys" could say the same thing about the fox body Mustang's dominance in the 80s. Although I do know what you mean, the "it's about time" argument is retarded.
Beat me to it... I see some point of his comments too, but it's just sad we have to revert to the whole, "but mines better" and/or "it took them long enough" thing. Ford's "modular series" has been outstanding in many ways since 1991 and it recently got much better. What's the point of talking Ford down because "they finally" did something they ACTUALLY did over a decade ago? I don't even have a new Mustang and all this silly bashing is making me consider getting one. It is what it is and it IS very good.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Beat me to it... I see some point of his comments too, but it's just sad we have to revert to the whole, "but mines better" and/or "it took them long enough" thing. Ford's "modular series" has been outstanding in many ways since 1991 and it recently got much better. What's the point of talking Ford down because "they finally" did something they ACTUALLY did over a decade ago? I don't even have a new Mustang and all this silly bashing is making me consider getting one. It is what it is and it IS very good.
100% agree.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Teching In

/thread before it turns into just like all of the others haha.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go again...

C'mon... It only took 10yrs? Imagination aside, that's simply not true. One could argue it took GM 7yrs just to put 4 wheels and a drive train together again with a pony car body... Pointless.

It would behoove you to learn more about the Ford DOHC engines and their overall capabilities. To illustrate my point, if it really took 10yrs for Ford to "answer" the LSX series, 6.20's on the 1/4 mile says I can't friggin' tell. To the "making power and applying it to the track" end, Ford is doing just fine and frankly, I'm tired of HAVING to defend them just because people like to pick on 'em even when those people haven't a prayer of keeping up with them. Look at all your mods... Don't brag too much about "having" to race specific X...

You've evidently got an entire engine replacement. If the LS is so great, why'd ya switch to the LQ? Block strength is surely main the answer, as it can't be weight savings. With an aluminum 4.6L, that wouldn't be necessary. To that end, it's apparent the "Ford answer" to the LS series was offered BEFORE the LS series. That whole "ten years" thing is as pointless as the "where was the Camaro" thing.

Honestly, I'm really tired of defending the DOHC, but seriously... It's long since been proven. All this ridiculous and useless bashing isn't teaching us a thing.
I know quite a bit about the DOHC engines used to work at steen racing out of Norfolk, Va before they closed down. I have actually put together oh lets just say 15 or so. Jason Steen used to port and polish a mean 4.6L head in fact he was known at one point in time for having the best numbers on a factory cast. And you guys think I slammed the 5.0 if anything I complemented it. Ford finally has something that has potential to make excellent N/A power and I think that is cool. Its also doing it with less displacement. The reason? HP is made on the top end and the 5.0 heads have a lot of flow straight from the factory. It used to take a good port and polish and cams or some form of power adder to level the field for the 4.6L, and thats not the case anymore. Thats what I meant about a answer to the LSX series guess I should have explained myself. And you are right a lot of people are going to cry about it for now because the tables have turned. oh well I say to you all do the bolt ons cam and tune its a thousand dollars or less well spent on ebay to bring a 4th gen or corvette over 400rwhp.

Oh and I decided to run the LQ because the block was cheaper/larger displacement (+23cu) and could be rebuilt and rebored a few times. The block strength is just a added bonus. I also couldnt find a good LS1 block at the time after mine went boom (It leaned out because the MSD boost a pump main power wire had several wires break at a crimp fitting dropping the voltage to my fuel pump). At that time I didnt have a air/fuel meter or fuel pressure gage I learned my lesson and I do know.

By the way I dont hate any specific brand, I appreciate all things from the mini truck to the all out race car especially if some one has put a lot of work in it. If it has a motor chances are I have worked on it including domestics and imports and appreciated them all the same. Got nothing against Ford so put the torches and gasoline down.: judge:
Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

I know quite a bit about the DOHC engines used to work at steen racing out of Norfolk, Va before they closed down. I have actually put together oh lets just say 15 or so. Jason Steen used to port and polish a mean 4.6L head in fact he was known at one point in time for having the best numbers on a factory cast. And you guys think I slammed the 5.0 if anything I complemented it. Ford finally has something that has potential to make excellent N/A power and I think that is cool. Its also doing it with less displacement. The reason? HP is made on the top end and the 5.0 heads have a lot of flow straight from the factory. It used to take a good port and polish and cams or some form of power adder to level the field for the 4.6L, and thats not the case anymore. Thats what I meant about a answer to the LSX series guess I should have explained myself. And you are right a lot of people are going to cry about it for now because the tables have turned. oh well I say to you all do the bolt ons cam and tune its a thousand dollars or less well spent on ebay to bring a 4th gen or corvette over 400rwhp.

Oh and I decided to run the LQ because the block was cheaper/larger displacement (+23cu) and could be rebuilt and rebored a few times. The block strength is just a added bonus. I also couldnt find a good LS1 block at the time after mine went boom (It leaned out because the MSD boost a pump main power wire had several wires break at a crimp fitting dropping the voltage to my fuel pump). At that time I didnt have a air/fuel meter or fuel pressure gage I learned my lesson and I do know.

By the way I dont hate any specific brand, I appreciate all things from the mini truck to the all out race car especially if some one has put a lot of work in it. If it has a motor chances are I have worked on it including domestics and imports and appreciated them all the same. Got nothing against Ford so put the torches and gasoline down.: judge:
I won't argue that you don't know enough about the DOHC then... I'll just have to wonder why you made such a useless comment.

It sure doesn't look like you were trying to be nice about the whole DOHC thing in that response. The heads have never really been the problem insofar as performance, the limited size of the cylinder bore has. Having built several yourself, I'd think you know the heads flow quite well(and you do know). That's what got me about your post... The heads don't flow? That's NUTS! Just as importantly, velocity, etc. matter. It's always been the small cylinder bore in my opinion, which prevented all that flow from mattering without forced induction. Once that's added, it's obvious the heads weren't the issue. Anyway... I'm just tired of the same ole same ole about their engines. I actually still expect to see 550rwhp from the current design, which still doesn't really suit me in terms of cubes. I think the 6.2L will become animalistic, however.

No doubt, the crying is already started on the whole 'but it has 4 cams" matter... I was going to be REALLY snotty and remark on that specifically last night, but decided it wasn't going to help make my point. DOHC is the future, end of story. I see it, you see it, most people see it. Anyone who really believes otherwise is only going to be another person left in the dust(due to gov't. regs mostly). The OHV does work very well itself. That said, HEMI is excellent as is the old Ford style(much like what the LS uses today) when it's large enough, like the LS. Realistically of course, even that can't compete. The only reason DOHC isn't used in things like Top Fuel dragsters is because it's not legal, I'm sure.

Your LQ: Ya know, that whole "strength" thing boils down from the other reasons you listed(for me). Even if not cheaper, it's still stronger than the typical production LS. Personally, the only problem with it is added weight. People here constantly harp on the weight of the old 4.6L... Well it's lighter than the LQ, right? If the LS1(as the 4th gen came) can't survive the power but the 4.6L can using aluminum, I'm thinking it doessn't matter which weighs more... The LQ is a likely replacement for the LS... Anyway, enough on that.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

The only reason it took so long was there were no Camaro to compete with the Mustang for new car sales. When GM finally stepped up in 2010 you see what Ford's response was. And it looks like Shelby will be getting over 600 hp also. Ford has always had the ability just not the need.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Launching!

I actually still expect to see 550rwhp from the current design, which still doesn't really suit me in terms of cubes.
I agree. I think 550rwhp could very well be a possibility, but at what expense? Low-end torque being non-existent + Peak power will probably come in at something crazy like 8-9,000rpms, which means you will have to run a crazy gear out back to utilize that power, which means street driveability will be affected. Would almost surely make for an awesome track car though.

I would much rather have that kind of power in a 408 making peak power at 6,200-rpm and peak torque at just 4k. Just me though.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

True, When my car was stock and ran 8.46 @ 85 1/8 13.01@107 At Richmond, Va I worked at the local 1/8 drag strip, and could pull out cold and go 8.51's. Seat time is a must. I found out the guy just got the car last week, so he had been driving the car for less than a week. still needs a driver mod..lol
Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
I agree. I think 550rwhp could very well be a possibility, but at what expense? Low-end torque being non-existent + Peak power will probably come in at something crazy like 8-9,000rpms, which means you will have to run a crazy gear out back to utilize that power, which means street driveability will be affected. Would almost surely make for an awesome track car though.

I would much rather have that kind of power in a 408 making peak power at 6,200-rpm and peak torque at just 4k. Just me though.
Low end torque is great, unless it overwhelms traction... That said, two things come to mind. #1, imports have forever lacked low end torque and still hauled. #2, I saw a dyno chart of the BOSS powered car and while it has been claimed to drop torque, the dyno showed more torque.

Street driveability isn't really an issue here, thanks to DOHC and variable timing... The engine is designed to run high rpm and does well. I'd much rather low rpm while cruising, but whatever works. My DD sits around 2k @ 70mph and I can't really hear or feel it in any negative way. I do think it affects economy though.

Low ratios are a bother on larger cube, low rpm engines, but not so much OHC engines because they don't seem to start yelling at us until the 3,500+ area. My 408 makes peak power and torque in that range. It got bad though, when I switched to a 3spd. I did that because my OD trans wasn't ready to handle that power and more specifically, torque. So... if you drop torque and the combination lasts longer while still running quite well, it's a win win in my book.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
correct. The Boss is able to lap Leguna Seca faster than a c6 z06 LOL the $90,000 z07 edges it out though. http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html
the carbon z06 also beats its
Old 03-28-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
the carbon z06 also beats its
That speaks volumes... The ZO6 Carbon is a serious car. It's also a 90k (starting) version and whatever was done(plenty of good), it spanked the standard ZO6 by 3 seconds on LS. That truly shocked me. Speaking of, why didn't they pick that version against the 2012 GT-R (and Shelby GT500) in the recent test of top cars under 100k???? Hmm... Maybe because the GT-R would've looked rather foolish, being in the same actual price range, but getting trounced by good a ol' American sports car! Ooops, now I'm all off topic ans such. heheh
Old 03-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Launching!

That speaks volumes... The ZO6 Carbon is a serious car. It's also a 90k (starting) version and whatever was done(plenty of good), it spanked the standard ZO6 by 3 seconds on LS. That truly shocked me. Speaking of, why didn't they pick that version against the 2012 GT-R (and Shelby GT500) in the recent test of top cars under 100k???? Hmm... Maybe because the GT-R would've looked rather foolish, being in the same actual price range, but getting trounced by good a ol' American sports car! Ooops, now I'm all off topic ans such. heheh
Excellent point!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Interesting runs OP,missing third tends to do that lol.

Can't wait to see some video
Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont remember saying the old 4.6L head flowed bad at all.

I can tell you this though the 5.0 head is better. This new engine package will have several 5.0s in the 500rwhp arena with full bolt-ons and cams. Add a little spray to that and look out older shelby's and non zO6/ or built LS's

Minor bolt ons- like exhuast and a CAI combined with as little as a 100 shot will put them over 500RWHP, this is sick like I said "its about time" those of us with built cars are going to have these 5.0's hanging with us and they will have a lot less money in them.

With a little forced induction these things are going to be rocket ships the only issue I see is the 11.0 compression ratio but one can still get 7 psi on that safely so that will put them easily knocking on the 600RWHP add cams to this picture and your easily 650 to 700RWHP mark with a high flow exhaust. Drop some forged dishtops in it and crank the boost and the sky is the limit.

I see things getting pretty interesting on the street and track this coming summer. That is why I am upgrading the fuel system running 80lbm siemens injectors and moving the turbo to the front with a PTK setup then cranking the boost, my current turbo is good up to about 760ish. Anymore 600RWHP is becoming the norm. And I am going to be ready. Hopefully I can get my car into the nines this year its amazing how much more it takes to go .5 secs faster. I dont normally go looking for a race on the street but I generally dont back down when provoked.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FOG52
The only reason it took so long was there were no Camaro to compete with the Mustang for new car sales. When GM finally stepped up in 2010 you see what Ford's response was. And it looks like Shelby will be getting over 600 hp also. Ford has always had the ability just not the need.
Dont worry good ol government motors is stepping up to the plate with the new ZL1 granted the new Shelby has more power if you compare FI car to FI car out of the box.

One good thing about it is that it is easy to swap blowers and crank the boost once the bottom end is already built for it and being a de-tuned version of the ZR1 engine makes it very capable. Cant wait to see some actual data come in hopefully it backs up the names heritage.
Attached Thumbnails 5.0 vs 2000 ss-zl1.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Launching!

...One good thing about it is that it is easy to swap blowers and crank the boost once the bottom end is already built for it and being a de-tuned version of the ZR1 engine makes it very capable. Cant wait to see some actual data come in hopefully it backs up the names heritage.
the stock hyper pistons in the zl1 will hamper it a bit. the oil squirters should help a lil but they wont change the composition of the piston. they should do last minute revisions and go with forged ones and maybe forged rods as well.

i think theyre going with less than stellar bottom end on the LSA because its strong enough to live at the stock power levels and arent really considering what the owners might do with aftermarket stuff since it would void the warranty anyways.

even with that all said, i think the zl1 will come in at around 4100lbs.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Not looking to forward to the ZL1 really. Sure it's gonna have a kick-*** powerplant and make gobs of horsepower but im just not liking that Zeta platform period. Until GM changes that I won't consider buying a new Camaro. Whatever happen to them possibly switching to the "Alpha" platform for 2012???
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Whatever happen to them possibly switching to the "Alpha" platform for 2012???
My WAG... money.