Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1999 trans am vs 98 gst

My car: details in sig
vs
1998 gst eclipse

The eclipse owner is a friend of mine and he just got his car done a few days ago. The specifics of the eclipse I am not sure, but I know it is a T3/T4 turbo with built motor running on 12 pounds boost. He is still breaking it in before he sets boost to around 25 pounds is what he told me.

The race is about 35 to about 90-95ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSQly23nkdM
Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Wow,no point in racing him until his setup is broken in and he turns up the boost.That was a slaughter!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice vid (camera man knew what he was doing) but not a race at all. Considering how bad he lost, I don't think adding those 13 more pounds of boost are gonna be enough!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure he gets this **** all the time, but why didn't he go with a GSX? Just couldn't find one/didn't want to pay extra for the AWD compared to how common the GS-T eclipses are?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Junkie

this was on motor i assume?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

good run lol
Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

What is he "breaking in"??? I've never understood why people baby a motor for 1000 miles yet they will give it hell at a lesser power level.

Put the motor together, set the timing ASAP, make sure there are no leaks, go put some loads on the motor to help with the rings, then give it hell. Now I do believe in breaking in clutches.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Teching In

WTF is with ricers and "T3/T4" turbos?

That's just flange size...it says nothing about compressor diameter, A/R, etc.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
Wow,no point in racing him until his setup is broken in and he turns up the boost.That was a slaughter!
Thanks

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
nice vid (camera man knew what he was doing) but not a race at all. Considering how bad he lost, I don't think adding those 13 more pounds of boost are gonna be enough!
I was actually the one who recorded the video, it was with my phone. Well I have some more details below.

Originally Posted by SSkull
I'm sure he gets this **** all the time, but why didn't he go with a GSX? Just couldn't find one/didn't want to pay extra for the AWD compared to how common the GS-T eclipses are?
Lol, he does get it all the time. He just saw a 'turbo' eclipse and had to have it.

Originally Posted by s346k
this was on motor i assume?
Yes I was on motor.

Originally Posted by SSickLS1SS
good run lol
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
What is he "breaking in"??? I've never understood why people baby a motor for 1000 miles yet they will give it hell at a lesser power level.

Put the motor together, set the timing ASAP, make sure there are no leaks, go put some loads on the motor to help with the rings, then give it hell. Now I do believe in breaking in clutches.
Here is some more info on the car:

Bored .20, eagle rods, weisco pistons, 650cc injectors, bigger turbo, and supporting mods.

From what he was telling me yesterday he is still running stock injectors and boost because he is waiting for ecm/dsm link so it can be tuned and ready to go. So basically he CAN'T run it to full potential until he is tuned.

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
WTF is with ricers and "T3/T4" turbos?

That's just flange size...it says nothing about compressor diameter, A/R, etc.
Lol, I know nothing about turbos and don't pretend to, I was just going on the info he gave me. I will try to get more specifics on it.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1998flamedCamaro
Bored .20, eagle rods, weisco pistons, 650cc injectors, bigger turbo, and supporting mods.

From what he was telling me yesterday he is still running stock injectors and boost because he is waiting for ecm/dsm link so it can be tuned and ready to go. So basically he CAN'T run it to full potential until he is tuned.
With that engine setup (as long as it was built properly), his bottom end will be good for 700hp (although that would be useless with FWD).

If his "T3/T4" turbo is a common Garrett .50-Trim, as I would guess it is, he should be able to make 450hp at the crank on pump gas, maybe a bit more. However, I don't think his 650cc injectors will be able to support that...maybe 400hp. He should get 850cc or bigger if he has ECMLink.

The stock 450cc injectors on a DSM aren't good for much more than 250whp, if that, so I'm happy to see that he is keeping boost low. He seems to know what he is doing, waiting for ECMLink before putting larger injectors in. ECMLink is what I use, and it's a great tuning device.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
With that engine setup (as long as it was built properly), his bottom end will be good for 700hp (although that would be useless with FWD).

If his "T3/T4" turbo is a common Garrett .50-Trim, as I would guess it is, he should be able to make 450hp at the crank on pump gas, maybe a bit more. However, I don't think his 650cc injectors will be able to support that...maybe 400hp. He should get 850cc or bigger if he has ECMLink.

The stock 450cc injectors on a DSM aren't good for much more than 250whp, if that, so I'm happy to see that he is keeping boost low. He seems to know what he is doing, waiting for ECMLink before putting larger injectors in. ECMLink is what I use, and it's a great tuning device.
Yea, it is going to be a completely different animal once it is complete. He just wanted to get it on the road and play with it a little considering it has been down almost a year while all the work was being done.