Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

06 GTO, 01 Camaro, 10 GT and 04 MACH 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Quickest stock LS2 GTO is 12.6x. That's factory stock.

That's about what all well driven 4th Gen's run, right?

(insert troll face)
Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah man, LS1 F-bodies have run in the 10s off the showroom floor! No way a GTO can touch them!

Old 02-19-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

So much bad info in here....

A stock 04 A4 GTO is 3780lbs with full tank (curb weight)
A stock 04 M6 GTO is 3725lbs with full tank (curb weight)

They are STILL lighter then fifth gens
Old 02-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evangto87
A stock 04 A4 GTO is 3780lbs with full tank (curb weight)
A stock 04 M6 GTO is 3725lbs with full tank (curb weight)
Bingo. Mine should be solidly in the 3500 range with the basic stuff removed like the tow bar setup, monstrous australian outback special skid plate, fuel tank cross bar, light weight rims, etc.

As far as matching the launch of a modded suspension big tire Fbody on the street? I can show you a couple vids of me doing just that with drag springs/bags and good street tires (Dunlop Direzza Star Spec 265/40/17 which are a 10.7" tread tire).

Firebird is 427 stroker 12.9ci? E85 beast making 600rwhp with a 6spd, 150rwhp more then me!, 345 series drag radials, full aftermarket drag suspension, 12 bolt rearend, ground up build.

This is a friend of mine, he's on stock 10 bolt with same tires as me but he has all the normal rear suspension mods. So far I think he's kept up the best with me from a dead stop for his mods. (Firebird above is tubbed and built, not a basic suspension bolton setup so not apples to apples)

This is DietCokes dig run against me. low 10 second 5th gen that alot of guys on here know, he wanted to test my claim that no one hole shots me. After three tries (this is best one) he would only roll race me - yes, he whooped me on the roll.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lmao bro that fbody with the 427 sounds has an auto and was spinning half the run.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by adamantium
lmao bro that fbody with the 427 sounds has an auto and was spinning half the run.
He has a 6spd. Guy launched well, but like so many big power cars he just couldn't put the power down to the ground until I was into drive already. Also didn't help him that the road we ran on was new but with a really rough texture. I picked that spot on purpose since he called me out.

He actually called me out numerous times while his car was being completed, then our tuner told him he better work on dialing in his launches before even thinking about going dig with me. Week after the engine was officially broken in I ran into him at the tuners shop: trunk full of groceries and all, no air in airbags or anything but I took him up on it. I technically won because I said he wouldn't pass me until I was in drive but I wasn't gonna rub it in since he wrecked at the end of the run (anti lock brakes failed taking out his brakes all together)

Old 02-20-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Holy hell! Well at least he landed in what looks like a soft spot, lol. But seriously, just glad he didn't get hurt..or die
Old 02-21-2014, 04:05 AM
Teching In

I'm actually on the market for a GTO.

But even when I asked a well respected local tuner about a gto for sale(full exhaust, intake tune; ls2 6 speed) he said, "Why? It will be slower".

He has owned an ls1 gto and an ls2 gto, currently has a procharged ls3 vette.

Show me a comparable ls2 gto auto with just a tune and gears, stock exhaust, that runs low to mid 12's.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 4PointSlow
I'm actually on the market for a GTO. But even when I asked a well respected local tuner about a gto for sale(full exhaust, intake tune; ls2 6 speed) he said, "Why? It will be slower". He has owned an ls1 gto and an ls2 gto, currently has a procharged ls3 vette. Show me a comparable ls2 gto auto with just a tune and gears, stock exhaust, that runs low to mid 12's.
Ju1ce was knocking on 11s damn near with his headers/tune only LS2 goat.

Good for your tuner, if you ask enough people you're bound to hear the answer you want to hear at least a few times. The GTO is faster stock and nicer in literally every way besides maybe looks, which are subjective.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

The reason a fbody is equal to a LS2 GTO is because they make less power and have worse gearing. Put in a stock LS2 into a fbody and the GTO is gonna be a few cars behind it every time. Hell, put 3.46 gears stock into a fbody and it depending on options/weight of fbody it could very well beat a LS2 GTO stock or near stock.

When it comes to more seriously built versions of each car, there is not a question that a fbody is a better platform for drag racing. The fbody's lower weight (especially when weight loss happens) and solid axle (less power drain and ease of drag strip launching) make it fairly straight forward and relatively affordable for someone to have a solid 10 second daily driver capable fbody where it takes 50% more effort/time/money to put a GTO into that category (solid 10's and DD capable).
Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Automatics dumb a car up so much. But I guess if I couldn't drive a manual to it's ability I would own an automatic too.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

^^^ hahaha
Old 02-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Automatics dumb a car up so much. But I guess if I couldn't drive a manual to it's ability I would own an automatic too.
I'd put my stick shift skills up against anyone on this website including you. I've always been a natural at manuals actually. For this car, I made a plan of what I want and a stalled auto fit the bill so I went that route.

Automatics with a stall and good power are just as difficult to drive fast as a stick shift, at least on the street. I will admit that when my car was just boltons and stock stall the A4 was boring - even with what I consider the best ecu shift logic GM has ever used on a stock slushbox. Didn't start getting fun until the 3400 stall went in, then got more fun with the heads/cam, then became a skills required job when I got the 3600 stall, gears, and 402. Now my car is the way it should be: more ways to lose a race then win one, with drivers skill the deciding factor.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:21 PM
7 Second Club

Received 315 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I'd put my stick shift skills up against anyone on this website including you. I've always been a natural at manuals actually. For this car, I made a plan of what I want and a stalled auto fit the bill so I went that route...
Forget your stick shift skillz, your auto shift skillz are fanfuckingtabulous brah!
Old 02-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd put my stick shift skills up against anyone on this website including you. I've always been a natural at manuals actually. For this car, I made a plan of what I want and a stalled auto fit the bill so I went that route.

Automatics with a stall and good power are just as difficult to drive fast as a stick shift, at least on the street. I will admit that when my car was just boltons and stock stall the A4 was boring - even with what I consider the best ecu shift logic GM has ever used on a stock slushbox. Didn't start getting fun until the 3400 stall went in, then got more fun with the heads/cam, then became a skills required job when I got the 3600 stall, gears, and 402. Now my car is the way it should be: more ways to lose a race then win one, with drivers skill the deciding factor.
I stopped reading at the part in bold...
Old 02-21-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having owner a stalled auto GTO and a manual Ford. There is no comparison of which car is harder to drive. GTO was tit work. Then again, I consider both to be fairly easy to drive.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Yea disagree completely, auto is much easier lol
Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'd put my stick shift skills up against anyone on this website including you. I've always been a natural at manuals actually.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I was speed shifting old school muscle cars like a boss while you were speed shitting in your diaper. The new 6spd trannies are a piece of cake to shift in comparison: I actually wonder if most of you guys who miss shift and slow shift should even be driving a fast car.

Hell, I've speed shifted more gears then I've masturbated: and I've masturbated alot. I can post pics if you want stoppy. ?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was speed shifting old school muscle cars like a boss while you were speed shitting in your diaper. The new 6spd trannies are a piece of cake to shift in comparison: I actually wonder if most of you guys who miss shift and slow shift should even be driving a fast car.

Hell, I've speed shifted more gears then I've masturbated: and I've masturbated alot. I can post pics if you want stoppy. ?
LOL..Way to much information, man. Regardless, I'd be up for some vids of you shifting.

Quick Reply: 06 GTO, 01 Camaro, 10 GT and 04 MACH 1