Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014 | 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Where's your mid 6 Mustang???? All that's right.....you bought a escape.

You guys knew what I meant.......you just had to twist it around. When I said FORD couldn't it's because they didn't. Not because someone can't put some combo together with various parts and make it go.
Blah blah... always the same...

By the way, in case you missed it, I just reclaimed a 1987 Fox coupe that I built many years ago... still has the same 408 under the hood and I'll be going over it when I feel up to it, specifically if I get the Buick outta the garage so I won't have to work in weather...

So yes, I have a 2014 Escape Titanium 2L Ecoboost... and an SVO blocked 408ci Mustang making over 500rwhp N/A and soon, perhaps we can compare time slips... Me... against your WANNABE race car...

Solid 13's must mean can squeak into the 13's when the moon and stars align.
You can find tests from the likes of Car and Driver getting mid 13's from 1996 Cobra's... You just don't choose to believe it..

After all, you ARE the same guy who claimed they just drive Fords better than the average owner and GM's worse than the average owner... You're THAT guy.. And he's NOT too bright!

Show's what kind of taste Bob had. If you can stomach looking at the sn95 cars good for you. But they get worse as you go inside of them.
Yet they were rated nicer than the 4th gen during the ENTIRE run of the 4th gen... Amazing... And you wonder why 5 times more were sold... Because there are far more people in the real world with taste you lack.
You see....there ya go......wanting to change heads to keep up with a production lt4.

Point made.

Funny all the **** lt's get and your ready to use a ford racing head to keep up with the lt.
Funny how you BALL LIKE A GIRL when the 2000 Cobra R is mentioned because, in your opinion, they didn't make enough, at only 250... But it's cool in your silly eyes to include(since we reminded you it existed) the 1997 LT4, of which 100 were made for America and 6 for Canada...

Way to go HoHo... You ARE hypocrite.

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
so you think the 460 sbf will pick up with efi. And your right but so is the lsx 454. You have to mod equally to compare. Not restrict the 454 and compare it to efi on the ford. Both will pick up equally if the lsx doesn't pick up more. Lsx454>460sbf any way you look at it. That can't be desputed. You have to compare both engines with equall fuel setups.
Wait... 1st you said carburetors are better, but now you agree that EFI is? Okay... again, I'm not comparing.

However, I was speaking of a specific intake on the Ford engine. NOT ONLY THAT.... GM rates their 620hp engine at LESS power with EFI... No, I do not know why. It is on their website though... 580 with EFI.

On another note, there is a SBF 427ci which is rated at 600hp. Apparently it's only available from Ford.

The only ford small block thats gonna get near ls territory is a 4v Cleveland. End of story.
STOP IT! You know little or nothing about the 351C... and just as little about the 351W, clearly.

Why do you full retards always compare a full bolt on or built ford to a stock lsx. There is nothing relevant at all there. A equally modded ls3 will baby seal club the cobra r. Much less a 7
Then compare the 2000 LS1 to the 2000 5.4 Cobra R engine, stock vs stock... since you're into comparing things. In that case, the LS1 is "bigger" and makes less power. Go full tilt with mods, the 5.4L is coming into it's own while the LS1 is being replaced by a stronger block...

Of course, we know the 5.4L will handle over 2000hp... How deep into the LS-X future will we need to go in order to find one in that survival range? DEEP!

They did one hell of a job gearing the cars. Shame the trans doesn't hold up.
How long has it been since we heard about a transmission problem with the 6spd manual in the Mustang. 2yrs or so? But it doesn't hold up... I'm glad Ford fixed it for the next version. I'd hate to have to hear about problems with a few hundred of the next 100,000.....
Old 02-27-2014 | 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is all I did to my mt82... plus the RST clutch assembly. Except I made my shift stop (detent pin) steel tipped instead of brass. And my fork pads are bronze instead of brass.

I mean look at this for just a second... The gears literally dwarf the t-56 gears.
Old 02-27-2014 | 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

As a matter of fact I dont care what hio says about a 5th gen. Imo its a big heavy heap of ****. And a waste of a good ls3
Glad we can agree. I think they look nice, but that is about it.

Good thing they are selling well for GM.
Originally Posted by evangto87
Its actually quite a bit beefier then a t-56...
So strong that all of the small parts go to **** and cause issues.

In no way am I endorsing the T56. I had diehard manual buddies go to 4l80e after all of their master cylinder/clutch, etc etc issues with their T56s
Old 02-27-2014 | 03:51 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by snake95
Sometimes I'll actually say things in an attempt to troll but not very often, usually my opinion renders me as a troll in some posters' minds.

The 5.0 vs the LS3 (engine) is a toss up if you ask me.

Now HiO will mention something about "yeah but you're cube limited on the 5.0" and he'll squirm like a worm when I call him out on him talking **** on "Ford guys" when they increase their cubes. Just wanted to get that out of the way because I knew a comment like that was inevitable
I think the same......I don't know why you give me such **** over it.
Originally Posted by Blown383LS1
Here we go again comparing GM's flagship sports car to a pony car. How about comparing a 2013 ls3 Camaro to a 2013 5.0 Mustang? After all they have been direct competitors since 1967.
That's a tuff one. I think I have to give the edge to the 5th gen. Furd guys are gonna cry but stock for stock I think a 1LE has the 5.0 covered in the tests I've seen.
Old 02-27-2014 | 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Glad we can agree. I think they look nice, but that is about it.

Good thing they are selling well for GM.

So strong that all of the small parts go to **** and cause issues.
I posted a picture for you. Those tiny little parts cost about what ONE drag radial costs.

What would happen if you left a stock clutch in a t56 car and tried to shift it at 7500 rpm? (lets pretend you would need to shift it that high for a second)
Old 02-27-2014 | 03:54 PM
Teching In

Actually Im being dead serious. I wouldnt make a blind statement like that.

Ironically... compared a t56 out of a cobra to my mt82... The hard parts in my trans are literally twice the size of the t56.

Do you actually know what fails in an mt82, and why they fail?

It took 850whp to tear through a stock input shaft of an mt82. And they have hardened input shafts out now as it is the weakest hard part in the car.
normally syncros. I dont give a **** how much bigger and stronger diff. Parts are. The trans is only as strong as its weakest link any way you look at it.
Old 02-27-2014 | 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

normally syncros. I dont give a **** how much bigger and stronger diff. Parts are. The trans is only as strong as its weakest link any way you look at it.
So if it costs 200$ to replace the weakest link in the trans and now its good for 800hp... its still ****?

Why do synchros go bad? Again... shift a stock clutch t56 car at 7500rpm. Let me know how your synchros like it...

Good clutch plus 200$ worth of brass, and you have a bad *** transmission.

But I suppose everyone can keep drinking the coolaid and refuse to understand WHY things break... and just label things as weak.

I just feel bad for all the guys dumping 7k into the drivetrain to switch to T56s lmao.
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:03 PM
Teching In

Both engines would lose peak power and peak torque with efi. Only POSSIBLE exception would be a efi/carb setup like a victor/victor jr efi. Id like to see a back to back with that setup vs carb. I hate carbs! But all out power they normally win. Ill sacrifice 30 any day to have driveability when not used on a race car.
There you go it'll run. I think you missed that where I said carb/efi. Carb/efi is a victor with injectors and yes I mentioned it. When you say efi as a general term it refers to gt40,trickflow,edelbrock etc. The reason it loses on the lsx with efi is because it was dynoed with conventional efi. Like ls6, fast,bbk,holley etc. Not carb/efi.
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I posted a picture for you. Those tiny little parts cost about what ONE drag radial costs.

What would happen if you left a stock clutch in a t56 car and tried to shift it at 7500 rpm? (lets pretend you would need to shift it that high for a second)
Still sucks that they skimped on the $200 little parts. That is what happens when "bean counters" like me have a say

Umm, death.
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Synchros were the most noticed problem of the T5... It's probably more related to shift dogs(fork slide covers- whatever people wanna call 'em) on these.

Seriously, I wouldn't have considered the synchros as a big issue in the MT82 because I expect them to be 4 times larger than T5 versions and my newer old Tremec never had that problem.
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:04 PM
Teching In

So if it costs 200$ to replace the weakest link in the trans and now its good for 800hp... its still ****?

Why do synchros go bad? Again... shift a stock clutch t56 car at 7500rpm. Let me know how your synchros like it...

Good clutch plus 200$ worth of brass, and you have a bad *** transmission.

But I suppose everyone can keep drinking the coolaid and refuse to understand WHY things break... and just label things as weak.

I just feel bad for all the guys dumping 7k into the drivetrain to switch to T56s lmao.
The t56 in the mustang (cable) shifts fine at high rpm for the most part. Gm hydraulic does not.
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:05 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Blah blah... always the same...

By the way, in case you missed it, I just reclaimed a 1987 Fox coupe that I built many years ago... still has the same 408 under the hood and I'll be going over it when I feel up to it, specifically if I get the Buick outta the garage so I won't have to work in weather...

So yes, I have a 2014 Escape Titanium 2L Ecoboost... and an SVO blocked 408ci Mustang making over 500rwhp N/A and soon, perhaps we can compare time slips... Me... against your WANNABE race car...

You can find tests from the likes of Car and Driver getting mid 13's from 1996 Cobra's... You just don't choose to believe it..

So when I quote a test it's bogus.......when you quote it it's gospel.....got ya.

After all, you ARE the same guy who claimed they just drive Fords better than the average owner and GM's worse than the average owner... You're THAT guy.. And he's NOT too bright!

HUH??? You don't make much sense. Do you even read what you type?

Yet they were rated nicer than the 4th gen during the ENTIRE run of the 4th gen... Amazing... And you wonder why 5 times more were sold... Because there are far more people in the real world with taste you lack.
Funny how you BALL LIKE A GIRL when the 2000 Cobra R is mentioned because, in your opinion, they didn't make enough, at only 250... But it's cool in your silly eyes to include(since we reminded you it existed) the 1997 LT4, of which 100 were made for America and 6 for Canada...

There were lots of LT4's in the vettes. But way to go......compare a gutted car to a full production car.

Way to go HoHo... You ARE hypocrite.

I'm a hypocrite but you keep wanting to compare modded furds to stock chevy's......go figure

Wait... 1st you said carburetors are better, but now you agree that EFI is? Okay... again, I'm not comparing.

However, I was speaking of a specific intake on the Ford engine. NOT ONLY THAT.... GM rates their 620hp engine at LESS power with EFI... No, I do not know why. It is on their website though... 580 with EFI.

On another note, there is a SBF 427ci which is rated at 600hp. Apparently it's only available from Ford.

There's one on the chevy site that is rated at 720+......your point was again?

STOP IT! You know little or nothing about the 351C... and just as little about the 351W, clearly.

Then compare the 2000 LS1 to the 2000 5.4 Cobra R engine, stock vs stock... since you're into comparing things. In that case, the LS1 is "bigger" and makes less power. Go full tilt with mods, the 5.4L is coming into it's own while the LS1 is being replaced by a stronger block...

Of course, we know the 5.4L will handle over 2000hp... How deep into the LS-X future will we need to go in order to find one in that survival range? DEEP!

Yea......those 5.4 are so bullet proof so powerful every one is swapping them into chevy's..........lmfao

How long has it been since we heard about a transmission problem with the 6spd manual in the Mustang. 2yrs or so? But it doesn't hold up... I'm glad Ford fixed it for the next version. I'd hate to have to hear about problems with a few hundred of the next 100,000.....
4yrs.......didnt the 5.0 debut in 10 as a 11? Tried to pad that up a bit didn't hypocrite.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 02-27-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

A 3.66:1 first gear is so awesome. I love the 11-14 Mustang 5.0s

Turning high rpms with a drivetrain packed full of gear. Don't fear the gear!
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Go back and reread R6.......then reply back to who the full blown retard is. Tell me where this magical 5.4 is gonna pick uo 100+ hp with bolt-ons.

You're just like the other furd miesters in this thread........here lets do this this this and this to the furd and compare it to the stock chevy stuff.
Idk, from reading, past research and just being a really huge Mustang fan back then. I also search around and find what people who own them speciafic cars have put down with the said modifications with some dyno graphs. And if you had a clue about that motor, it's not 100+hp gains either, its more like 75hp. Once again you're talking about a motor you know nothing about but act like you know something, hints the ridiculous "magical 5.4" statement.

And I'll explain this again since you can't seem to understand. I wasn't comparing a modded 2000 Cobra R's 5.4 to a stock LS7, I simply used the stock LS7's output as an example. 92cobranotch got it, maybe he could try and help you out on how to understand that.
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

The t56 in the mustang (cable) shifts fine at high rpm for the most part. Gm hydraulic does not.
It's not a hydraulic issue......just sayin
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Still sucks that they skimped on the $200 little parts. That is what happens when "bean counters" like me have a say

Umm, death.
I agree its a huuuge mistake to skimp out on those parts. But it really is a solid transmission. The internals are superior to a t56. But that doesnt mean both transmissions cant be built to ****, and both can break.

I mean hell... most people dont know that the MT82 comes factory with carbon synchros. The ONLY 2 things I would like the after market to touch upon, is the input shaft and the fifth gear synchro. 1-2 and 3-4 synchros are MUCH beefier and more complex then the 5-6. Still carbon.. but not as big. Its no smaller then a t56 fifth gear synchro... but still. Fifth gear itself looks VERY strong.. as it should considering its 1:1. And they do have hardened input shafts out now. Whenever I have to open the trans again (not if, but when...as its part of the hobby), I plan to pick up an input shaft. Ill likely NEVER hurt the stock one. But its nice to have. I do however plan on wearing synchros out in the future. Ive gotten lucky so far... havent missed a gear yet since its been back together... no thanks to the mcleod.
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pressure plate problems.... Atleast thats the issue with the stock clutch in mustangs. At that RPM, it hangs up a bit and you will grind every gear if you dont allow it time to disengage. I also think its hysterical that all the 5.0 guys bitch and moan and complain about the MT82 itself having shifting issues...and they reference the clutch pedal sticking to the floor as an issue....
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:18 PM
Teching In

It's not a hydraulic issue......just sayin
Never said it was. I was describing the clutch style. And evan was talking stock form.
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

There you go it'll run. I think you missed that where I said carb/efi. Carb/efi is a victor with injectors and yes I mentioned it. When you say efi as a general term it refers to gt40,trickflow,edelbrock etc. The reason it loses on the lsx with efi is because it was dynoed with conventional efi. Like ls6, fast,bbk,holley etc. Not carb/efi.
Now you're rambling... I mentioned a specific intake by full name. Speaking of which, the Super Victor 351W is in fact, made by Edelbrock. Always has been. Been around since 2001 or earlier. I left no question WHAT was being mentioned and was NEVER comparing!

Get that outta your BIG FUGIN' HEAD! I suppose I should've said "spider" and let you look that up to see what I meant. It's a carb style intake with EFI installed.

My point was and is, carbs won't touch the correctly done EFI and that would include any intake someone can make work well enough.
Old 02-27-2014 | 04:20 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by FinalCam
A 3.66:1 first gear is so awesome. I love the 11-14 Mustang 5.0s

Turning high rpms with a drivetrain packed full of gear. Don't fear the gear!
IDK....evan to some gear out of his. Was he skeered?
Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Idk, from reading, past research and just being a really huge Mustang fan back then. I also search around and find what people who own them speciafic cars have put down with the said modifications with some dyno graphs. And if you had a clue about that motor, it's not 100+hp gains either, its more like 75hp. Once again you're talking about a motor you know nothing about but act like you know something, hints the ridiculous "magical 5.4" statement.

And I'll explain this again since you can't seem to understand. I wasn't comparing a modded 2000 Cobra R's 5.4 to a stock LS7, I simply used the stock LS7's output as an example. 92cobranotch got it, maybe he could try and help you out on how to understand that.
I can go on the ford corral and see where my ls6 stands in their n/a section to know all I need to know about a 5.4. That particular 5.4 is better suited to being compared to a ls6.

One engine was rated at 385......the other at 505. Looks like 100+ hp to me. But that's my retard kicking in. Sometimes the retard in me consumes my entire being.

Kinda like itdontrun.......I mean those 2000hp 5.4's are everywhere. I'm skeered to go outside as one might pass by and suck all the hp out of my wittle engine.

Quick Reply: Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS