Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Absolutely
Tell that to snake now since I'm so far out in left field.
Originally Posted by It'llrun
What test did you quote? I simply said I can show them, FROM THEN, proving you wrong... AS USUAL!

Just because you don't remember or want to deny... doesn't mean someone else doesn't make sense. RELAX THOUGH because I have no intention of going back about 2wks to quote you on it.

Yeah, and here I was considering the limited production... BOTH models were very limited. It isn't like the LT4 was standard equipment, even in Corvette. In 1996, it came in the Corvette GS... a limited production car. 976 were put into U.S. sold Corvettes. Come to think of it, the 97 LT4 Camaro wasn't a production car... It was an SLP car... Care to make a change in your statement?? I know... give you some time....

Figure just a bit better and you may see any number of times I've reiterated... I'm not comparing. You are indeed a hypocrite. I wish you'd stop. EVERY SINGLE time we do this, you get beat down like a hooker on 33rd st who turned down a date right in front of her pimp!

You wouldn't know the point if you reached up and pulled the hat off of your head! We were talking about 2 SIMILAR engines in a SIMILAR price range, around 15k... You're trying to brag for GM about something you'll NEVER be able to afford, at over $24,000 and it apparently doesn't even include an oil pan! As I said... HYPOCRITE!

Generally, those people who would want it are like you and cannot afford the cars they came in, or to buy over the counter and modify. Just keep in mind... FACTORY block, crank and heads... PRODUCTION PARTS... 2,000 plus hp... 289mph top speed record and 6.0's on the 1/4 mile... Call me when the BUTT HURT stops, *** CLOWN!

It came out in May of 10. So?
We were comparing the best of the best I thought........just like a furd guy to a stipulation on price in there. ......knowing that fords usually cost more to build...lol
Originally Posted by snake95
Not the case at all Believe it or not, I have priorities to finish my education now and pursue a career. Once the school $$$ stops going out, then I can sink my teeth into better builds. Call this an excuse or whatever, just saying. Until then, I'm content playing with my 60's tech 5.0 NONE OF THIS has to do with the fact that you change the meaning (clarifying) of previous statements you made when you're proven wrong.

You're not getting it, still. 5.0 = engine. Mustang 5.0 = vehicle. The LS3 isn't a vehicle. Herpity Derp.

Fair enough, stock cubes & they are very good competitors with each other as R6 said.

Shocker. A Mustang has to be considered superior by 99% of car enthusiasts and magazines until you even say it's equal to an obviously inferior GM offering. I'm really surprised you consider the 5th gen to have an advantage See Marc's post, he summed it up nicely.
Go finish that education. I hope you're smarter in school than you are about cars.

Looks I'm not the only one that thinks the 1le has a advantage. You're showing your true colors by not admitting it. The 1le out performs the 5.0 track pack everywhere and at worst they tie in acceleration. Then goes on to thrash the Boss on a road coarse. Those are the facts.......no fanboy ****.

I hope the new Mustang thrash's the 1le......then I hope the 6thgen camaro thrash's the new Mustang back.
The Cobra R's 5.4 was underrated at 385hp, realistically made around 420hp. And I also know the LS7 is a little underrated at 505hp. Of course stock for stock that 5.4 is definitely closer to a LS6. But a modded 5.4 that I mentioned earlier can make power closer to that of a stock LS7, just for an example. It's no secret, nothing "magical", it's been done many times. It's as simply as that and I have no idea why you took it as I was comparing it to the LS7 like it was a mod for mod competition.
A modded ls6 can make close to what a stock ls7 makes too. Ask me how I know. Your point was?
Originally Posted by It'llrun
It's pointless... No matter what is said, HoHo will find a way to say, "but if" and I find it hilarious that were started talking about whether or not Ford could make a 425hp engine with bolt ons(they make 600hp without them) to, "BUT THE LS7" bs... Everything, it seems, is about "but GM did better" to some... I think the funniest part is, we're not even racing. It may not be long, however, and I may just come out and PUNK somebody... The 770hp LSX454 wouldn't mean JACK that day!
I give ford credit where they deserve it. To me they don't deserve much until the coyote. They had some pretty lame n/a ****.
No kidding. He took what I said earlier out of context and I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell at realizing it.
I took what you said and replied to it properly......you said it.
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Correct, all M6 Corvettes got the LT4 in '96. And he wasn't talking about adding up horsepower according to the factory ratings, he was talking about what they actually put down. Stock vs. stock, the Cobra R is dead-nuts with an LS6. Bolt-ons, it picks up a considerable amount of power.

I take it we're not talking about straight-line here?

See above.

Also see above.
Like I said it's more comparable to a ls6 than a ls7. So far we agree on this except where it gets twisted.

Straight-line??? sure. They are very comparable there........then like I said.....see above
Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

Go finish that education. I hope you're smarter in school than you are about cars.
This will be degree #2, you can talk **** about me & cars because I call you out on your ignorant & blind bullshit. I'll even use your favorite smiley to illustrate where you stand
Looks I'm not the only one that thinks the 1le has a advantage. You're showing your true colors by not admitting it. The 1le out performs the 5.0 track pack everywhere and at worst they tie in acceleration. Then goes on to thrash the Boss on a road coarse. Those are the facts.......no fanboy ****.
I was speaking in terms of straight line racing. The 1LE is my 2nd favorite 5th gen so I can give credit in the other areas. I'd still take a Boss over one without question.

I give ford credit where they deserve it. To me they don't deserve much until the coyote. They had some pretty lame n/a ****.
Here's where you're all fucked up and your blind loyalty gets in the way. 96-98 Cobras were just a hair behind LS1's with an N/A 4.6 and the 03/04 Cobras were extremely respectable even though they had nobody to play with on the playground as the F twins took a vacation for 7 years.

The Fox OWNED the 3rd gen.

Now you're going to spew about N/A, and a lot of people give zero ***** about that, they just like overall performance. To prefer N/A is fine, to bash other products because they weren't N/A is closed minded.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

This will be degree #2, you can talk **** about me & cars because I call you out on your ignorant & blind bullshit. I'll even use your favorite smiley to illustrate where you stand

I was speaking in terms of straight line racing. The 1LE is my 2nd favorite 5th gen so I can give credit in the other areas. I'd still take a Boss over one without question.

Here's where you're all fucked up and your blind loyalty gets in the way. 96-98 Cobras were just a hair behind LS1's with an N/A 4.6 and the 03/04 Cobras were extremely respectable even though they had nobody to play with on the playground as the F twins took a vacation for 7 years.

Now you're going to spew about N/A, and a lot of people give zero ***** about that, they just like overall performance. To prefer N/A is fine, to bash other products because they weren't N/A is closed minded.
96-98 cobras were nearly a full second behind an ls1.

termis had more power but had no Camaro to play with. but if they did gm would have just dropped the ls6 in some models.

the fox onle owned the 3rd gen for a few years. the fox was not always "fast".
Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
I've seen that car quite a bit at the track between at Darlington and Fayetteville and he tuned the blue car Jeremiah knows his **** and if these stocks hit like they should, That will be where I will go for advice and
Motor work on a nice build for a "Racecar"

Last edited by Lawhead; 02-28-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big hammer

termis had more power but had no Camaro to play with. but if they did gm would have just dropped the ls6 in some models.

Nearly a full second? C'mon. Set the Kool-aid down.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks I'm not the only one that thinks the 1le has a advantage. You're showing your true colors by not admitting it. The 1le out performs the 5.0 track pack everywhere and at worst they tie in acceleration.
As said, magazine tests can have their place...but talking about the true potential of the car is rarely it. So how about this; we know for a fact that stock 5.0s have run as low as 12.2/12.3 in the 1/4 mile by an actual owner. Show me one stock SS/1LE that ran lower than a 12.4, anywhere in the world. Running equal in one test is all well and good, but it doesn't mean everything.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

A modded ls6 can make close to what a stock ls7 makes too. Ask me how I know. Your point was?
I understand a modded LS6 can make similar output as a stock LS7. Just like a modded Cobra R's 5.4 can make similar output as a stock LS7. That was my point. My point was never that the 5.4 was equal to the LS7 mod-for-mod.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

I took what you said and replied to it properly......you said it.
No you did not respond properly, because you didn't understand what my point was.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 02-28-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't expect this much butthurt on LS1tech. This site used to be more above that and used to show more common sense.

The Mustang GT is the current "best bang for the buck" out of the crop of current musclecars. You can buy a used 5.0 GT for $25k. You can beat a brand new Camaro SS with it. What's not to love? Add a Hellion Twin turbo kit, cat back, sticky tires, and a tune, and you can beat up on Bosses, ZL1's, and GT500's and do it for less than the cost of any of those cars. That's awesome.

Sign me up for the 5.0 bandwagon. If I didn't already have my camaro and didn't plan on the D1SC build up I'd be rocking a used GT. Dollar per dollar it makes sense to have a modern car that is 3 or less years old that can run 11's with an inatke, exhaust, DR's, and tune.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:47 AM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephIV
I didn't expect this much butthurt on LS1tech. ....
You must be new. lol
Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

they came with junk gears, were hard to drive, and most often ran high 13's.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:04 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe GM will get its head out of its *** and produce a Camaro that isn't a tank. Combine that with a LT1, it might actually be something.
Until then, the 5.0 mustang is far superior.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Maybe GM will get its head out of its *** and produce a Camaro that isn't a tank. Combine that with a LT1, it might actually be something.
the Camaro actually outhandles the mustang significantly. in the 1\4 it's a drivers race when stock.

but yes, they need to make a lighter Camaro. sounds like it's coming.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:10 AM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

... they need to make a lighter Camaro. sounds like it's coming.
I'm really looking forward to it.

Using this POS 1.4L Cruze for a DD hurts my soul.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Yes on the gears, and most bone stock LS1's are mid 13 second cars despite the internet's wishful thinking.

Cue the 3 posters who ran 12.8s and 12.9s in stock M6s with perfect conditions and Hurricane Katrina as a tailwind.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

If the 1LE SS can already outrun the Boss 5.0 on a road course, how much of a beatdown would/does the Z28 put on the Boss?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Yes on the gears, and most bone stock LS1's are mid 13 second cars despite the internet's wishful thinking.

Cue the 3 posters who ran 12.8s and 12.9s in stock M6s with perfect conditions and Hurricane Katrina as a tailwind.
bumblebeetuna.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Oh well.....I just soon to be ignorant and blind as be a complete dumbass such as yourself. you don't **** out..... But you do get your **** called aout and all the time.

Straight line is a dog fight with a 1le and the 5.0. And I'm gonna give the edge .......a very slight edge to the 1Le. For as turdy as you guys try to make them out to be they sure put up a good fight.

LOL @ 96-99 Cobro's being a hair behind. A freight train behind maybe with not a glimmer of hope after mods start.

As far as 3rd gen vs fox......Dad had a 85 tpi IROC. We ran a few 5.0's with it....some modded some not. It never lost to one. One 5.0 was door to door with it, but it was not stock and the IROC was. I don't call that owning anything. Then if you would like to talk handling.......it was a no contest. 3rd gen all day.

This
Koolaide is week......I think you're on something much stronger. Maybe crackaide?
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
As said, magazine tests can have their place...but talking about the true potential of the car is rarely it. So how about this; we know for a fact that stock 5.0s have run as low as 12.2/12.3 in the 1/4 mile by an actual owner. Show me one stock SS/1LE that ran lower than a 12.4, anywhere in the world. Running equal in one test is all well and good, but it doesn't mean everything.
Way to try to twist it!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else see this twist?? He wants independent individual 1/4 times to compare vs a magazine that tries to keep everything fair from options on the car right down to the air pressure in the tires.
I understand a modded LS6 can make similar output as a stock LS7. Just like a modded Cobra R's 5.4 can make similar output as a stock LS7. That was my point. My point was never that the 5.4 was equal to the LS7 mod-for-mod.
So I digress.....we agree that furds best limited production engine makes no more power than a ls6. Good point
****....most I seen ran 14's.
Originally Posted by audacious nick
My buddy's 12 SS weighed 3825 with 3/4 tank of gas. On low gas I could see the car getting to 3750~. It would be cake to get 100+lbs of rotating alone out of the cars. That would make a big difference.
the Camaro actually outhandles the mustang significantly. in the 1\4 it's a drivers race when stock.

but yes, they need to make a lighter Camaro. sounds like it's coming.
Can't wait to see the 6th gens. The new Mustang looks great also.

So I see....you want to run the Mustang in perfect conditions vs a humid hot day with a 30mph head wind for the camaro.
If the 1LE SS can already outrun the Boss 5.0 on a road course, how much of a beatdown would/does the Z28 put on the Boss?
According to gm on their proving grounds track it's about 4sec a lap. I can't wait to see what the Z does at VIR.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

So I digress.....we agree that furds best limited production engine makes no more power than a ls6. Good point
1st, what is there to disagree with?
2nd, in no way is the 2000 Cobra R's 5.4L anywhere near Ford's best limited production engine. (Again, you don't know what you're talking about)
3rd, little advice, set your ego aside so you don't continue to make yourself sound so ridiculous.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

It's just too predictable. He gets smacked around, throws up the owned smiley, and all has been recouped in his mind.

Quick Reply: Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS