On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here for the LuLz
Old 02-28-2014, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
1st, what is there to disagree with?
2nd, in no way is the 2000 Cobra R's 5.4L anywhere near Ford's best limited production engine. (Again, you don't know what you're talking about)
3rd, little advice, set your ego aside so you don't continue to make yourself sound so ridiculous.
Then what was fords best n/a production engine????. Keep in mind we are in a modern era. I can't think of anything nearly as good as that 5.4 was until the coyote stuff. Please come up with something so you don't have to agree with me again.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephIV
I didn't expect this much butthurt on LS1tech. This site used to be more above that and used to show more common sense.

The Mustang GT is the current "best bang for the buck" out of the crop of current musclecars. You can buy a used 5.0 GT for $25k. You can beat a brand new Camaro SS with it. What's not to love? Add a Hellion Twin turbo kit, cat back, sticky tires, and a tune, and you can beat up on Bosses, ZL1's, and GT500's and do it for less than the cost of any of those cars. That's awesome.

Sign me up for the 5.0 bandwagon. If I didn't already have my camaro and didn't plan on the D1SC build up I'd be rocking a used GT. Dollar per dollar it makes sense to have a modern car that is 3 or less years old that can run 11's with an inatke, exhaust, DR's, and tune.
You can buy a used Camaro too, for very cheap, you know? And mod it and beat a new stock GT .

Look at what the L99 are running these days. 11sec boltons bra.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Correct, all M6 Corvettes got the LT4 in '96. And he wasn't talking about adding up horsepower according to the factory ratings, he was talking about what they actually put down. Stock vs. stock, the Cobra R is dead-nuts with an LS6. Bolt-ons, it picks up a considerable amount of power.
I can't see HoHo's post on this... Donno why, don't care as I'm certain I am not missing much.

That said, I shouldn't have used a Corvette website to verify the LT4 !! I should at least have checked elsewhere because when I thought about it, my instinct was, "So what?" and then I wanted to verify..

Got it wrong by not doing enough homework... Sorry, HoHo... You got me on that.

Now... I've been busy and am 2 pages behind and I think I may just leave it like this..
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JosephIV

The Mustang GT is the current "best bang for the buck" out of the crop of current musclecars. You can buy a new 5.0 GT for $25k.
Fixed.
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Straight line is a dog fight with a 1le and the 5.0. And I'm gonna give the edge .......a very slight edge to the 1Le. For as turdy as you guys try to make them out to be they sure put up a good fight.

Way to try to twist it!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else see this twist?? He wants independent individual 1/4 times to compare vs a magazine that tries to keep everything fair from options on the car right down to the air pressure in the tires.
What makes you give the edge the the 1LE? It certainly isn't 1/4 mile times. As far as me "twisting" anything, you must not be able to understand; these cars have been out MORE than long enough for the owners to get plenty of seat time, at every track in America in great conditions. The owners of both cars are running better times than the magazine drivers, and the 5.0 has been faster. Period. So with drivers equally as inexperienced in both cars, they are almost dead-nuts even. When the drivers get a chance to learn the cars, the Mustang shows its edge. This is not rocket science. Ceteris paribus, the 5.0 is simply the quicker/faster car. That doesn't make it the end of the world.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
We were comparing the best of the best I thought........just like a furd guy to a stipulation on price in there.
No, WE weren't comparing anything... You and 92 were EACH comparing things while the rest of us were having a conversation, constantly reminding you guys it's not a comparison test.

knowing that fords usually cost more to build...lol
For a guy who never built ANY engine, you sure think you know about doing it. With that, in 1995, I could spend 3k and get a rebuilt 302-308 short block and add my top end parts for 3k or less, total cost and run around in a 300+rwhp car anytime I wanted. I did it numerous times, actually. You didn't know anybody doing that with any 4th gen until WAY later in the game. I can still build that today, or I can use a 351W based and for about 5-6k, make around 500rwhp N/A and be setup to add nitrous and roll with it, or for about the same, I can get around 600rwhp and be strictly N/A.

Go finish that education. I hope you're smarter in school than you are about cars.
Coming from you, that's simply HILARIOUS!

I hope the new Mustang thrash's the 1le......then I hope the 6thgen camaro thrash's the new Mustang back.
The new Mustang is a pretty serious car. I've been reading up on it and Ford isn't releasing engine info to speak of(nothing but the basics). They are getting a little busier about the other hidden mechanisms... This thing should at very least rival the C7 in handling. It's small, light(some say as low as 3100, but I expect 3300+), wide and apparently has quite a bit lower roof line than the current. That part is skewed because I've seen different numbers... inches different and I don't know who's right.

A modded ls6 can make close to what a stock ls7 makes too. Ask me how I know.
That's not difficult at all these days.

I give ford credit where they deserve it. To me they don't deserve much until the coyote. They had some pretty lame n/a ****.
The reality is, you know even less about Ford OHV engines than you do their OHC engines and you don't know much of anything about their OHC engines...

I took what you said and replied to it properly......you said it.
People tell you that all the time... You just say you meant something else. Does that line qualify for anyone here, or just the special people?

Someone tell the big hammerhead that the standard SS doesn't handle better than the Mustang GT. The 1LE or ZL1 easily beat it, but the everyday SS... No.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll run, have you ran that escape yet to see what it'll run?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 PM
***Repost Police***

Raw numbers, the handling advantage the SS has over the GT isn't too much. It is more forgiving though, because of the IRS and chassis development.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Raw numbers, the handling advantage the SS has over the GT isn't too much. It is more forgiving though, because of the IRS and chassis development.
Since SS have 20'' wheels(weight), bigger brakes (weight) and IRS (weight), is it more forgiving, for beeing 0.2-0.3 slower on the 1/4(taking fastest times of both)? I guess not heh?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Why is Boss being compared to 1LE? IE is an option on a Base SS or any model SS? I would take a 1LE over any 5.0 sans Boss. Many people that have SSs can't drive sorry. 5th gens stock run like **** including the ZL1 in hot weather. I would not mind a 1LE but everydealer wants too much for one.

HIO a 96-98 Cobra would wax an LT1 anything. Its not easy though and requires good driving. An LT4 outpowered it though and was faster. In fact twist something on you an LT4 C4 would take out a C5 M6(pre 01) with good driving. Its the truth. A C4 LT5 though not a GM design could take it too. If it were not undergeard it would take out a C5 Z06 any year(and despite being outgeared could take it topend too) past 100 mph too.

Hio is wrong about n/a Fords but is right about 1LE. In the right hands it is a fast car and comparable to a 5.0 base. And it has a better clutch and trans for sure too!!! Better built car too.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I said it before and I'll say it again, since the 5th gen it's amazing to see all the GM boys who suddenly give a **** about things other than straight line racing

But but but the Camaro has a higher fuel tank capacity!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a GM... i didnt buy a fifth gen. I bought a Boss 302. I dont regret it for a milli second...
Old 02-28-2014, 11:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by evangto87
I had a GM... i didnt buy a fifth gen. I bought a Boss 302. I dont regret it for a milli second...
Your crazy lol jk they do look nice i will say that. Is it the leguna secca edition?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Leguna is a rip off for the money. I bet Evan will agree
Old 03-01-2014, 12:40 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Since SS have 20'' wheels(weight), bigger brakes (weight) and IRS (weight), is it more forgiving, for beeing 0.2-0.3 slower on the 1/4(taking fastest times of both)? I guess not heh?
What?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by big hammer
96-98 cobras were nearly a full second behind an ls1.

LT4 ~>

LT4 Firehawk article ~> http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...tiac_firehawk/

01 Firehawk ~>

About that 5th gen vs Mustang in handling ~>

termis had more power but had no Camaro to play with. but if they did gm would have just dropped the ls6 in some models.
The 2003 Cobra was out in June of 2002, before 4th gen production stopped. GM had every opportunity in the world to use the LS6 in the 4th gen and didn't.

the fox onle owned the 3rd gen for a few years. the fox was not always "fast".
The number of 3rd gen version that were quick can be counted very easily. Essentially, with exception of the T/A, if wasn't a 1LE or didn't have a 350 under the hood, it basically was TOAST!

From 1985 through 1993, the Mustang was undoubtedly the bang for the buck champion and nothing was a close 2nd place to it, except another Mustang. The 86 was rougher, due to big changes like SEFI, but had high port heads which needed some help, but could create great power for a smog iron head. After 88, they all got mass air and the cam choices went nuts. I knew guys running 9's in 1992-3 and driving the car home.

They were never "fast" from the factory, but neither was the 3rd gen, except special edition T/A's basically. The 89 GTA was outstanding V6 and all. The Firehawks were all good and most WS6's were. You're run of the mill 5L Camaro or Firebird... Not as good as the Mustang by any stretch. They handled well, but couldn't run as well without an engine swap.
Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
It'll run, have you ran that escape yet to see what it'll run?
When it was a couple days old, a friend invited me to the 2nd worst 1/8th mile track I've ever seen and it ran 10...something... I wanna say 6's, but I can't remember. I intend to take it to a 1/4 mile track to see what it'llrun... but haven't. It's still got under 6k miles on it and everyone tells me to wait till it's at very least 6, and that it's better beyond 15... Idonno. I do know this... Traction is a goner... I'll have to adjust the settings to turn off traction control and shift the gears myself to see what it can really do. Others have run 16.0-16.1 fairly consistently from what I've read.

I'll expect mine to be near and maybe a bit slow in comparison. Traction really is a drawback and that track I was on... WOW! It was junk! I think my 60's were around 3 seconds. It was at 80ish mph at the traps, but there was just too much water. We LITERALLY had to drive through water after each pass! No kidding...
Old 03-01-2014, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by "MAC"
Your crazy lol jk they do look nice i will say that. Is it the leguna secca edition?
Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Leguna is a rip off for the money. I bet Evan will agree
Agreed. It cost 8k more for these changes:

Comp R tires
1mm bigger rear sway bar
softer rear spring
rear seat delete
bunch of cosmetic nonsense

The only option (in my eyes) that may have made the laguna worth it in 2013... was it was offered in black which just looked badass. Same one in Jay Lenos garage.

But either way... If i put a road course wheel/tire on my car along with a matching whiteline front sway bar... my car will trollop a laguna around any turn. But my car is all after market decent parts, so its expected.

Where the Boss/GT is hurt from the factory where say a 1LE is superior...is the suspension surrounding the live axle. Has a lot of deflection in it
Old 03-01-2014, 06:02 AM
On The Tree

Going to be interesting to see what all these people that tout on the 1LE say when the 2015 Mustang GT hits the curves. Ford has already stated that the regular GT is faster than the Boss was on several road courses.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Why is Boss being compared to 1LE? IE is an option on a Base SS or any model SS? I would take a 1LE over any 5.0 sans Boss. Many people that have SSs can't drive sorry. 5th gens stock run like **** including the ZL1 in hot weather. I would not mind a 1LE but everydealer wants too much for one.

HIO a 96-98 Cobra would wax an LT1 anything. Its not easy though and requires good driving. An LT4 outpowered it though and was faster. In fact twist something on you an LT4 C4 would take out a C5 M6(pre 01) with good driving. Its the truth. A C4 LT5 though not a GM design could take it too. If it were not undergeard it would take out a C5 Z06 any year(and despite being outgeared could take it topend too) past 100 mph too.

Hio is wrong about n/a Fords but is right about 1LE. In the right hands it is a fast car and comparable to a 5.0 base. And it has a better clutch and trans for sure too!!! Better built car too.

an lt1\ss and a 96 cobra would be a tight race. both run higher 13's stock.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
MW 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS vs Ford Mustang Cobra Comparison Road Test - YouTube

MT Chevrolet Camaro Road Test. - YouTube

LT4 ~> 1997 Camaro SS, LT-4 - YouTube

LT4 Firehawk article ~> http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...tiac_firehawk/

01 Firehawk ~> 2001 SLP Pontiac Firebird Firehawk vs. Chevy Camaro SS Road Test - YouTube

About that 5th gen vs Mustang in handling ~>Pony Car Wars! 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs Camaro SS and Challenger SRT8 - YouTube

The 2003 Cobra was out in June of 2002, before 4th gen production stopped. GM had every opportunity in the world to use the LS6 in the 4th gen and didn't.

The number of 3rd gen version that were quick can be counted very easily. Essentially, with exception of the T/A, if wasn't a 1LE or didn't have a 350 under the hood, it basically was TOAST!

From 1985 through 1993, the Mustang was undoubtedly the bang for the buck champion and nothing was a close 2nd place to it, except another Mustang. The 86 was rougher, due to big changes like SEFI, but had high port heads which needed some help, but could create great power for a smog iron head. After 88, they all got mass air and the cam choices went nuts. I knew guys running 9's in 1992-3 and driving the car home.

They were never "fast" from the factory, but neither was the 3rd gen, except special edition T/A's basically. The 89 GTA was outstanding V6 and all. The Firehawks were all good and most WS6's were. You're run of the mill 5L Camaro or Firebird... Not as good as the Mustang by any stretch. They handled well, but couldn't run as well without an engine swap.
:

absolutely incorrect. the L98 heads actually flowed fairly decent at the time, but the tuned port intake was a major choking point. swapping that out made all the difference in the world.

Quick Reply: Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS