Old 03-01-2014, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islander033
Must be a poor setup on the camero...
Poor?

I guess ...

. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .

Last edited by OVA1; 03-01-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I am hearing rumors the new Mustang GT will be around 3100-3200 pounds. If that is the case it will be very ugly for even a 1LE
Old 03-01-2014, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I get you all the time.....look below as it happens agian.

So again......you would rather take a individual's claim as compared to same day, same prep, same track, similarly optioned car with the same driver testing procedure?

The only performance category a 5.0 even can compete in vs a 1LE is acceleration.

Sometime raw #'s don't tell the whole story. It can't predict how a car reacts to goin over a bump on the track for instance.

Mike.....I give a 96-98 cobro a drivers race with a lt when stock. It's definitly not a waxing. And anything after stock is all LT. LT4's were pretty bad ***. I've been keeping my eye out for a 96 M6 Vette for a while.

I'm perfectly right about n/a fords. Like I told itdontrun. The ford guys on here prove me right.

We drive threw the water at my track just to get to the track. Now you can't hook up a 16sec car. But you have massive drag racing experience...got ya.

Already made a statement on that..check it out. I was very unbiased unlike your bullshit comment meant to stir ****.
YEAH!

GOT THAT!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
Roughly $1400 for 4 cams to gain 50 rwhp would put these cars over 500 rwhp with bolt ons.
ROFLMNAO!

My Goodness, then I must've been runnin' 600 HP. Cause I've never had a 5.0 get anywhere NEAR being even remotely competitive.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:23 PM
***Repost Police***

When will people understand that it doesn't necessarily matter what YOU have seen/experienced?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
When will people understand that it doesn't necessarily matter what YOU have seen/experienced?
Jealousy... it's such an ugly, unproductive emotion.
Take a Pamprin Irene and settle down.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Never said it was a breeze. But if my car makes 430+ on a dyno jet, which it would. Then I would assume a cam would pick it up 60+ hp, which is not out of the realm of a cam swap. That would put it at 500~whp. Still on stock heads. Ported heads should be worth 15-30. That puts it right in the realm we are speaking of. And nothing I said is out of the ordinary gains that anyone could see out of a cam or heads.
See it would be a piece of cake according to what you just said here. Do that simple heads and cam swap on your car and come back with them 515-530whp results.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Hio being a derp no wai. Makes 417 but is a cam swap away from 500 lolz. I bet his Bolton c6z makes 600.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I am hearing rumors the new Mustang GT will be around 3100-3200 pounds. If that is the case it will be very ugly for even a 1LE
I heard that too and said it here recently. Anyone would have to agree, that would be painful for the Camaro hardcore.

Of course, the next Camaro could weigh that too... oh wait... no, I guess it can't, unless GM makes the Corvette from feathers or something... or discontinues it altogether and both of those things have about the same odds of actually happening... zero.

So yeah, if the Mustang is in that range, the Camaro is gonna need major help GM isn't interested in giving it. Maybe they'll just throw a 600hp engine in it...
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I heard that too and said it here recently. Anyone would have to agree, that would be painful for the Camaro hardcore.

Of course, the next Camaro could weigh that too... oh wait... no, I guess it can't, unless GM makes the Corvette from feathers or something... or discontinues it altogether and both of those things have about the same odds of actually happening... zero.

So yeah, if the Mustang is in that range, the Camaro is gonna need major help GM isn't interested in giving it. Maybe they'll just throw a 600hp engine in it...
Oh I think its entirely possible that they'll release a 3100lb V8 car, ... on this site.

Of course, in the real world, where there remain bureaucratic regs like CAFE standards and it's fairly unlikely that Ford is going to get a Mustang out the door under or anywhere near 3200 lbs.

But hey, it COULD happen.

Last edited by OVA1; 03-01-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OVA1
Oh I think its entirely possible that they'll release a 3100lb V8 car, ... on this site.

Of course, in the real world, where there remain bureaucratic regs like CAFE standards and it's fairly unlikely that Ford is going to get a Mustang out the door under or anywhere near 3200 lbs.

But hey, it COULD happen.
As much as I hate to defend the Mustang, you are simply talking out of your *** and don't have a clue. Here is a link from a GM website:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/08/...camaro-answer/

Hopefully, GM will do what the article is suggesting for the 2016 model year Camaro...if they don't...the performance between the two cars will not even be close.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i cant believe you guys have fought 20 pages over this bullshit lmao

where are all these 500 rwhp 5.0s at anyways and documented gains of 50rwhp for 1400 dollars (with im sure no supporting mods to bump up that cam price). i didnt see any links within the bickering. i honestly dont give a **** and aint here to fight i just havnt paid much attention to anything n/a in years lol
Old 03-01-2014, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

more like 3700-3800.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
i cant believe you guys have fought 20 pages over this bullshit lmao

where are all these 500 rwhp 5.0s at anyways and documented gains of 50rwhp for 1400 dollars (with im sure no supporting mods to bump up that cam price). i didnt see any links within the bickering. i honestly dont give a **** and aint here to fight i just havnt paid much attention to anything n/a in years lol
Just made 475whp with bolt ons... hell im gonna try and make 500 without cams..
Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Didn't the LS also have an X-bar brace where the seat would've been? Part of a roll cage, I mean.

You'd be hard-pressed to run a 96 SS to anything like a 13.6 unless the track headed downhill.

If you think so...

Won't the GT be just a GT? The 1LE is "just an SS" that performs as people expected the SS to perform in standard trim. It SMASHES the SS basically everywhere in the world, so while it is still an SS, it's a much better version.

I suppose I'll wait for it..

You don't even know WHAT they made, let alone how capable they are. I happen to have an N/A Ford again and have no trouble telling you, you're completely incapable of building an engine to compete against it, period. Yeah, I know, you have a friend... blah blah... Pay his *** and call me when it puts 500+ to the wheels. Mine already did it... 12yrs ago.

You drive "threw" water... WTF??? Tell them to stop throwing it, ya moron!

I'm talking about having to drive through water that reaches the body IN ROUTE the starting line, not just getting to the track..

You wouldn't understand anyway, but the reason it wouldn't hook up was fully explained... I also said I plan to go to a decent track and see what happens when I actually control the shifts, etc. How's YOUR daily driver run on the 1/4 mile??? Does it also get 30mpg on the highway? It's hardly worth discussion. Bottom line here... You can't afford what I bought, so you'll make like the kid at the playground and point out what might... pffft... Meanwhile, your DD is a 15yr old pile of **** made overseas that you don't dare race for fear it will fall apart on the track, not to mention the embarrassment of a 19 second ET and the fact your wife will be mad.

He's saying that if you use L98 heads on a 305, which is a JOKE from the word go, but he don't know that! 305's were basically TRASH and there's NO POSSIBLE WAY to make them run like a Ford 302 or Chevy 350. It simply CANNOT be done, given the same vehicle at the same weight, gearing, etc. The 305 is totally inferior and GM did not design it with anything to do with racing in mind.

Wait! I just saw his response... Okay, whatever he was saying is pointless.
That's a solid start!

Of course you would... Because you DON'T KNOW JACK ABOUT BUILDING ENGINES!

It amazes me... You might be the only LS nut hugger on earth to say he would expect his N/A LS6 a near 85whp advantage from ONLY A CAM SWAP!

Whatever you're taking... pass it around...

Oh.. You didn't know the L98 wasn't a 305 either? Well, whatever... Those heads on a 305 would ruin it, period.

While both may be "junk" by standards today, the 302 would annihilate the 305, period. It wasn't close, somewhat close, moderately close, maybe close, perhaps from down the street close... NOPE... It was UTTER ANNIHILATION!

both lb9's and l98's had better flowing heads than the E7's of the mustang.

here's some good data on the l98 heads

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tp...cast-iron.html

even the ZZ4 crate engine ran l98 heads and it was rated for 355 hp. like I said they were decent in their day, and the major choking point was the intake.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 434 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and make 500rwhp NA on that stock bottom end then Doug I mean that's your favorite line and all...

In the same response you talk about you gaining 90rwhp if you do this and this but talk about hypothetical builds are bogus

Who really twist **** here again?
Well if others can talk hypothetical so can I. Besides the #'s I said are well documented on this site. No twist involved at all.

I have no desire to h/c this engine. I'll change it to the ls7 when I want more power.
Originally Posted by evangto87
I highly doubt you will see 60+whp from a cam swap. You have an ls6 cam with 1.8 rockers. That alone is 30+whp over your typical stump puller ls1 cam. For what its worth... back when i had ls6 heads and an ls6 cam on a 6.0 motor, I gained 30whp going to a 236/242 615/615 111+2 lsa cam. Same heads as you, but i had stock rockers and an ls6 intake. I can see you gaining another 30-35 on top of what you have since you have a fast intake... but those 1.8 rockers wont help your case. Unless you went for an extremely radical cam and switch to a different intake and reved it north of 7k.

I gained another 30whp going to ported AFR heads and a port matched ls6 intake with 85mm TB.
Whichever rockers I would use would depend on the cam I would use. FYI.....they work in conjunction. BTW....the 1.8 rockers picked me up a whopping 4whp at peak. So again.....it could very well pick up what I said. GM has a cam for the ls7 that picks it up 90hp.

Sure I would rev it past 7k......Why wouldn't I?

Different intake.....maybe.....all part of making the combo work though. I already have a idea on a intake. I would love to see a fast lsxrt on a ls6. It would be a tough fit, but I have skillzzzzzz
Originally Posted by "MAC"
Hio i onced read a book on the quest for 500+whp from W2W. Its very hard to get and very costly to do. It also has very good info and info on the history of the ls1 on how it came together. Point is yes it is obtainable but for the amount of money you could easily build a turbo ls1 and make way more power. Plus the 500+whp ls1 engines are so radically built it would be a work out just driving it down the road.
I'm sure it would not idle like stock. But most cammed cars don't.
Sign me up for one!! I really like the new Stangs. It will be interesting to see what trim they are in for the 3100-3200 range. I'm thinking that may be a 4cyl base car. Which would be fine because I bet it would still haul *** with the turbo 4.
Originally Posted by R6cowboy
See it would be a piece of cake according to what you just said here. Do that simple heads and cam swap on your car and come back with them 515-530whp results.
It would not be that hard. Most people don't dot their I's and cross their T's......I do.
Originally Posted by automach1
Hio being a derp no wai. Makes 417 but is a cam swap away from 500 lolz. I bet his Bolton c6z makes 600.
Actually on a dyno like you like it would go over 430whp........so yea in could get near 500 from just a cam swap.

I bet my bolt-on ls7 will make over 500whp. Maybe even close to 520. Cam only ls7 @ 600whp?????......It could happen...........and it could happen with a gm cam.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by big hammer
both lb9's and l98's had better flowing heads than the E7's of the mustang.

here's some good data on the l98 heads

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tp...cast-iron.html

even the ZZ4 crate engine ran l98 heads and it was rated for 355 hp. like I said they were decent in their day, and the major choking point was the intake.
I always liked l98 heads. I had them on a 406 I built for my K5 Blazer. I patterned it after the ZZ4 but it was a flat tappet instead of a roller cam. The 406 had a bit more compression and I may have cleaned up the bowls on the head a bit.....I forget. It was a nasty engine for what it was. it revved nicely to 6800~ and had tq everywhere. Those heads were cheap....even back then I only paid $600 for the set brand new.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

I always liked l98 heads. I had them on a 406 I built for my K5 Blazer. I patterned it after the ZZ4 but it was a flat tappet instead of a roller cam. The 406 had a bit more compression and I may have cleaned up the bowls on the head a bit.....I forget. It was a nasty engine for what it was. it revved nicely to 6800~ and had tq everywhere. Those heads were cheap....even back then I only paid $600 for the set brand new.
So you don't think a 3rd gen needed an entire engine swap to compete with a mustang?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

**** no.....anyone that does is a ******* idiot.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
So you don't think a 3rd gen needed an entire engine swap to compete with a mustang?
There you go, ask the guy that you know will agree with anything pro-GM

Quick Reply: Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS