Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
LOL.......How are you making this clear? I already said I dd on all the wheels. My stock 17" SS wheels in the winter. Why would I drive my drag pack in the snow? I don't drive my 18's in the winter either. If you knew anything about tires you would know that a soft compound tire like the r-compounds on my 18's get hard in the cold. Why would I want to waste a tire like that? In the winter the 17's actually perform better anyway. The 18's are my fave overall. In the good weather I switch between the drag pack and the 18's. The drag pack will be on for weeks at a time.....so will the 18's

So how am I a hypocrite? You yak so much and know so little.
So why do you have such a problem when people DD a car with drag radials, or switch wheels at the track? You tailor your setup to fit your situation, but balk at people that do the same thing. Not every place has weather as shitty as Virginia, where they have to be ready for every possible weather situation all the time.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islander033
I have no problems agreeing with that ^^^ as long aplacement is included in the formula.

Y'all are gonna be some cryin *** babies once GM converts to DOHC. lol
I pray they dont use small displacement when this happens. worst fear is GM 28x equivalent with no power adder! That would be going backwards.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Not everyone drives their car in the rain or snow either. Doesn't make it not a street car.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:03 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by sw07gt
Not everyone drives their car in the rain or snow either. Doesn't make it not a street car.
Some here have said that if you have two cars, the car you don't drive in the rain automatically becomes a race car...
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
So why do you have such a problem when people DD a car with drag radials, or switch wheels at the track? You tailor your setup to fit your situation, but balk at people that do the same thing. Not every place has weather as shitty as Virginia, where they have to be ready for every possible weather situation all the time.
he never said anything about a drag radial. Just bias ply and slicks.

I don't in the snow. I just hang on tight in the rain with hoosiers or mickeys lol.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 434 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Alright im bored and browsing, so sorry late to the game ladies but Ill leave this here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...r-346ci-n.html
Although Im not sure the point of limiting displacement considering how much bigger/heaver the mod motor is. If you want an apples to apples comparison then compare it to a big block considering its the same size/weight. There is no downside in adding displacement to the LSx, so why not do it?
Just in case you mustang fanboys forgot...

"Run what ya brung" stop crying about displacement, its totally irreverent.
I agreed with the first part.

How the **** do you compare engines if displacement don't matter?

PS. pic is linked from Hio's photobucket....what up wit dat?
They are my engines. My 7 is on the left. Just a little 427ci engine. MY massive 4.6 is on the right.
Doug took the picture.
Yep.......some how I got accused of making the ford seem larger than it is. I still have not figured that one out.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 434 Likes on 341 Posts

Everyone's definition of a street car is different, Hio's is just retarded.
Yea.....being able to drive a car anywhere in the country is just a stupid definition of a street
Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
it matters in a notch!!! Hios is like driving a 460 car lol. They are *** light to begin with.in the long run you can make either hook. But under normal driving the handling sucks! But I could care less about handling is why that exact engine was picked.
Wifes kia sephia will smoke that thing it ANY performance category besides acceleration.....lmao

It drives ok.....as long as you don't turn the streering wheel......
I dd on a dr at times. I would not dd on a Hoosier or Mickey. Some of these new Dr's are just a straight up race tire. A blind man can see that.
Nope......But it sure does give the street cars that do a little more cred.

BTW.....I try to avoid driving the notch in the rain. It's a dangerous car in the rain.
Some here have said that if you have two cars, the car you don't drive in the rain automatically becomes a race car...
Race car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he never said anything about a drag radial. Just bias ply and slicks.
yep
Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't wait till Fifth Gen's are in my price range. An M6 LS3 would be perfect for me to play around with. I want to test the idea of removing all the rotational weight out of it. 15" Drag wheels, lightweight clutch and flywheel, driveshaft, and polish all the gears like Evan. Curious how it comes out..
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Bullshit. You bitch about et streets and Hoosiers because they aren't rain friendly. You've tried to discredit peoples times for running those tires.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZNix
I can't wait till Fifth Gen's are in my price range. An M6 LS3 would be perfect for me to play around with. I want to test the idea of removing all the rotational weight out of it. 15" Drag wheels, lightweight clutch and flywheel, driveshaft, and polish all the gears like Evan. Curious how it comes out..
havent had those gears in a while. Got the stock OEM Ford 3.73s back in it. The Motive 3.90s went in the trash can from having 5 bent teeth on the ring gear
Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Bullshit. You bitch about et streets and Hoosiers because they aren't rain friendly. You've tried to discredit peoples times for running those tires.
I run hoosiers and mickeys and he doesn't discredit me or cry. Just says "your a dumbass for driving in the rain with those." Lol I did get him to ride in the white trash iroc today with hoosiers and it looked like rain anyminute. Im surprised he got in lol.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
havent had those gears in a while. Got the stock OEM Ford 3.73s back in it. The Motive 3.90s went in the trash can from having 5 bent teeth on the ring gear
Too bad, I guess I didn't hear about that! Are you going to keep the 3.73s or are you waiting for something else to coem out?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

I have no problems agreeing with that ^^^ as long as displacement is included in the formula.

Y'all are gonna be some cryin *** babies once GM converts to DOHC. lol
Bite your tongue... that's not even funny.

The Northstar was enough. Great engine, tons O'Power, but... high maintenance.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 PM
***Repost Police***

I run hoosiers and mickeys and he doesn't discredit me or cry. Just says "your a dumbass for driving in the rain with those." Lol I did get him to ride in the white trash iroc today with hoosiers and it looked like rain anyminute. Im surprised he got in lol.
You drive a Camaro.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZNix
Too bad, I guess I didn't hear about that! Are you going to keep the 3.73s or are you waiting for something else to coem out?
For now, keeping the 3.73s. Not to mention it was a bit too much gear for me. They would work well with a 28" tire. I was crossing at 7800 and thats right where it will start to nose over. While that was all fine an dandy then. Adding a bit more power to the car, pulling some weight, and having the car work efficiently.... ill be over reving it with 3.90s and 27" tires. So the 3.73s will work out fine.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
They are my engines. My 7 is on the left. Just a little 427ci engine. MY massive 4.6 is on the right.

Yep.......some how I got accused of making the ford seem larger than it is. I still have not figured that one out.
My guess is the Christmas tree effect from all of the pullies... Be honest now... You added some 'cause they look cool, right?

I look at that engine and just get tired...
Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Teching In

You drive a Camaro.
never had a Mickey on my camaro. Only my mustangs. So ^^^^^^^^ comment is invalid. How ever he cried a couple times when I waxed some modified gm *** with the 302 in the notch
Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not for nothing... but... why dont we compare a picture with a roots blower on an LS with all its accessories on it to that cobra motor. We get it... its smaller... but its not as small as you guys make it look by comparing an accessoriless motor with just an intake manifold on it to an cobra motor with all its accessories and roots blower on it. Maybe that makes too much sense?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:38 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by OVA1
My guess is the Christmas tree effect from all of the pullies... Be honest now... You added some 'cause they look cool, right?

I look at that engine and just get tired...
Like I told him, whether intentional (which I wouldn't put past him) or not, having all the pulleys, the power steering reservoir, and the alternator on the mod motor does make it look larger than it would were it just a bare longblock with the crank pulley like the LS7 is sitting. I understand that the LS7 had been there a while and the 4.6 had just come out of the car, but that doesn't change how the picture looks.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evangto87
Not for nothing... but... why dont we compare a picture with a roots blower on an LS with all its accessories on it to that cobra motor. We get it... its smaller... but its not as small as you guys make it look by comparing an accessoriless motor with just an intake manifold on it to an cobra motor with all its accessories and roots blower on it. Maybe that makes too much sense?
its that ******* big with no accessories. I remember unwrapping that motor when it came in on the crate thinking fml what did I just buy. Look above at that 302 compared to the 4v. A ls is a tiny bit bigger than 302 but smaller than 351.

Quick Reply: Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS