Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The guys spending that much didn't START their build with a used pickup truck block and a used crank, pistons and rods... You clearly did. A good Callies crank ALONE can cost over $1,500.

$450 for a dragonslayer... usually they're right at $1,500... So let's be realistic. Used parts, particularly stolen ones, tend to cost less than new, special made... LS7 stock Manley's go for about $700 a set, you spent 400... Yeah, used parts makes your build cost less.

And with that, you have the audacity... to claim these other guys, building NEW ****, should get their act together...

How does one buy used aftermarket cams that haven't been made yet? C'mon... You're TRULY comparing apples to oranges here and claiming both are red...
Well, you basically covered what I was thinking, especially what's in bold.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

The guys spending that much didn't START their build with a used pickup truck block and a used crank, pistons and rods... You clearly did. A good Callies crank ALONE can cost over $1,500.

$450 for a dragonslayer... usually they're right at $1,500... So let's be realistic. Used parts, particularly stolen ones, tend to cost less than new, special made... LS7 stock Manley's go for about $700 a set, you spent 400... Yeah, used parts makes your build cost less.

And with that, you have the audacity... to claim these other guys, building NEW ****, should get their act together...

How does one buy used aftermarket cams that haven't been made yet? C'mon... You're TRULY comparing apples to oranges here and claiming both are red...
I have nothing above any other guy. I chose used parts because that's the only way I could afford to build this motor. My statement was about the guys who build these type of engines and spend thousands and thousands and make mid 400whp ..... Most of these guys have more money in heads tha. I do my entire engine, and that's fine. Everyone has there own way of doing things. I built a rock solid foundation I could build on for a fraction of the price . Everyone can buy used parts and be budget friendly, or buy new. I never stated I bought everything new, nor do I care that it's not new. My main point was people who spend assloads of money to put out h/c ls numbers, and the second half is in reference to Evan saying no other lsx comes close to his buddy's car.

And for the record, I think my # suck for a 416. But there fuggin awesome for stock LS6 heads.

Last edited by Cwarta; 02-23-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Well, you basically covered what I was thinking, especially what's in bold.
So you think it's exceptable to build a stroker motor and spends 5,000+ For a short block just to put out the same numbers as h/c cars?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol... I give it to Ford they have more technology than Chevy with this motor.. Chevy use same stick & rock technology to make power... More cubes.. I wonder if Ford built that 6.2 with four cams what the power would be??? Prolly 520 plus hp..Lol..
Old 02-23-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cwarta
So you think it's exceptable to build a stroker motor and spends 5,000+ For a short block just to put out the same numbers as h/c cars?
No. That's not what I was getting at. But I see you're talking about the boys who build a stroker motor that ends up performing like an average h/c LS1. In that case it doesn't matter if they spend $2500 or $10,000 doing it, they simply don't know what they're doing no matter the cost.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
No. That's not what I was getting at. But I see you're talking about the boys who build a stroker motor that ends up performing like an average h/c LS1. In that case it doesn't matter if they spend $2500 or $10,000 doing it, they simply don't know what they're doing no matter the cost.
I agree completely. I wasn't knocking on guys for spending $ on there builds. Im talking about the the guys who spend that kinda dough on these builds and then have them perform like h/c cars, and then there happy about it. Thought and planning goes a long way.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I said nothing else on my dyno... not the world.

And 560 is not easy and it does take the details to do it. That is not a common number for a 403
Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DirtRoads
Lol... I give it to Ford they have more technology than Chevy with this motor.. Chevy use same stick & rock technology to make power... More cubes.. I wonder if Ford built that 6.2 with four cams what the power would be??? Prolly 520 plus hp..Lol..
Isn't the raptor a 6.2? Around 1k power stock?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Do you think there's more technology in the Coyote 5.0 than the new LT1?
Ford certainly takes the cake in the hp per cubic inch department. It would be awesome if Ford came out with a 429c.i. motor based off of the Coyote 5.0 that performed as well as the Roadrunner 5.0 hp per cubic inch. An engine like that would put the equally displacement 427c.i. LS7 to shame. And that would be badass in my book.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by evangto87
I said nothing else on my dyno... not the world.

And 560 is not easy and it does take the details to do it. That is not a common number for a 403
You didn't say squat about "your" dyno. If you had, I wouldn't of said anything. I understood it as you saying none have come close, period.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You didn't say squat about "your" dyno. If you had, I wouldn't of said anything. I understood it as you saying none have come close, period.
Stated that a few posts back
Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

I agree completely. I wasn't knocking on guys for spending $ on there builds. Im talking about the the guys who spend that kinda dough on these builds and then have them perform like h/c cars, and then there happy about it. Thought and planning goes a long way.
It sure came over as you were knocking them... That said, thought and planning is great and parts can be had reasonably cheap... used... However, someone still had to pay full price at some point or you'd not even know how to put a package together today. Some people still don't get it, but that's not anyone's concern, save the people making the mistakes, because they have the information and simply aren't using it properly.

I was really gonna get atcha... glad you clarified.

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
Isn't the raptor a 6.2? Around 1k power stock?
Yep... I think that's about right...

if 411 is 1k...

The Raptor, however, only has 1 cam per cylinder head, not 2... SOHC. Even that has made over 800hp already. Yes, it was stroked and running E85.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by evangto87
Stated that a few posts back
I understand that, and saw that. But that was well after my initial post, and now knowing that, I understand were your coming from.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, he was totally clear that it was his dyno he was talking about...

!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sure came over as you were knocking them... That said, thought and planning is great and parts can be had reasonably cheap... used... However, someone still had to pay full price at some point or you'd not even know how to put a package together today. Some people still don't get it, but that's not anyone's concern, save the people making the mistakes, because they have the information and simply aren't using it properly.

I was really gonna get atcha... glad you clarified.
No I wasn't knocking on guys who spend a bunch of money on this stuff, for exactly as you said. SOmebodys got to buy it initially lol. Even if you go down the road of buying used, you gotta be carefull. For instance my crank I purchased from a member here and it was supposed to be a mint condition dragonslayer crank. I initially paid $600 for it. When I received it, I mic`d the mains and rods and the rods had been turned .030 and the mains .020... Not what it was supposed to be. When I contacted him, he said tuff **** lol. Paypal sided with me and gave me $150 back to buy the correct bearings. I really wanted to buy a vaccume pump and ewp and shoot for 600rwhp, but alas the funding is not there. So I settled with crank case evacuators lol
Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, he was totally clear that it was his dyno he was talking about...

!!!
Lol not until later on after I made the initial comment!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Gm need more cubes to keep up with 302. If you think about it 346 compared to 302 is not fair at all...
I cannot believe people still say this
Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just for you Evan

Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Lol not until later on after I made the initial comment!
Yes huh... You didn't read it all... He said his dyno back on post 28.. yours was like 48... Pllllllllfftt...

Originally Posted by FinalCam
I cannot believe people still say this
Why? People still say Ford needed a blower to keep up and that Ford never made a 400+hp engine till 2011 and anyone actually old enough to think about it has to laugh because they just know better. It's just life... No big deal.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Banned

Gm need more cubes to keep up with 302. If you think about it 346 compared to 302 is not fair at all...
Why not compare the 305 to the 302?

Quick Reply: Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS