Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I got drug, and I'm butt hurt. Real butt hurt. Feelings hurt bad.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sw07gt
The 4v has been out for 18 years and it is well known how capable those motors are yet almost all the Ford guys in drag racing use SBF's and BBF's. Shouldn't they have caught on by now?
I don't know of one car that runs any of the drag radial classes and uses a modular Ford.
http://www.trianglespeedshop.com/tri...mustang-cobra/
Old 05-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Basically exactly what I predicted the doubters would say.

Too expensive and complicated, it'll never catch on...

Prices will come down...and this hobby is all about sacrifices anyway. You want to have more power and better driveability than you could in an OHV engine? DOHC, yep you have to buy 4 cams, part of the sacrifice. Don't like it? Stick to OHV!

I'm saying people won't be afraid to jump into the OHC stuff with their project cars once they realize it's not the devil because it's different than the traditional pushrod stuff...THAT is what takes time, too.

Humans inherently hate change, myself included. I'd love nothing more than Ford to come out with new generation of pushrod SBFs.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 4PointSlow
Both are time bombs above 650 as stock engines. But the ls3 can see over 500 whp with just a cam change. 5.bro's spend thousands of dollars on bolt ons and are lucky to see 50 less than that.
You might be too young to remember, but when the Coyote first came out there was a company (Comp cams, I believe) that ported the stock heads with a "stage 1" port job and did a re-grind of the stock cams...made 507rwhp. Seems pretty comparable to me as far as capabilities are concerned.
Originally Posted by Puck
Sorry but the LS and SBC are waaayyy more similar then a 5.0 is to anything else. LS is no more complicated then an EFI SBC, just more modern. They are both pushrod V8s - although the heads are a different valve angle, and the bock itself has some small variances, they both work fundamentally the same. Hell, you can now get SBC blocks that take LS heads as a direct bolton.

5.0 is a totally different, way more complicated monster. Have you seen the size of those cams? All FOUR of them??? Do you know how they spin internally and adjust duration and lift on the fly? That is terrible for an aggressive build, so little phaser blockoffs have to bee installed to keep it from adding 40 duration to your race cam amd making the valves say hello to the pistons. The cams are physically huge, and with 4 of them it is very expensive for a set - $1,500 for cams from Comp vs $250-300 for an SBC or LS cam. Cylinder heads are huge and complicated as well, taking twice as many valvesprings (more money), longer to port, and costing more to cast. Ported stockers for a 5.0 were $2500 last I checked, and that is WITHOUT springs and hardware( and remember, they take a lot more hardware so we're not talking a $200 spring kit here). An SBC or LS ported stocker is less then those bare castings for a complete set ready to bolt on.

All these things add up to a much more expensive and complicated motor to build, and time itself wont change any of that.
I understand the price difference, but very few people here do the absolute cheapest things to our cars when it comes to modding. A lot of people have no problem paying more for something if they personally like it better, hence why people build an '02 Camaro SS instead of a '98 Z28. As for time not changing the complexity of the OHC motors, I disagree. Technology always progresses, and there will be a time soon when timing chains and even cams themselves will be phased out. When a 4V motor no longer needs enormous cylinder heads to house the cams/valves, that will be a game-changer. As-is, the packaging keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Last edited by Irunelevens; 05-06-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
For f*ck sake... You're in a good mood today. Lol
BRB, doing a b16 swap in my f150 and TA. For teh mpgs!
Old 05-06-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

The 5.0 looks strong to NA.

Recipe for 550 rwhp:

Custom cams
CJ intake
SCJ TB
4.5 inch CAI
1 3/4 or 1 3/4-1 7/8 step + full exhaust
E85 Fuel

Recipe for 575 rwhp:

Custom cams
CJ intake
SCJ TB
4.5 inch CAI
FTW Fuel

Recipe for 600 rwhp:

Valve job (back cut), light port on heads (stage 1-2)
Custom cams
CJ intake
SCJ TB
4.5 inch CAI
FTW Fuel
Old 05-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Basically exactly what I predicted the doubters would say.

Too expensive and complicated, it'll never catch on...

Prices will come down...and this hobby is all about sacrifices anyway. You want to have more power and better driveability than you could in an OHV engine? DOHC, yep you have to buy 4 cams, part of the sacrifice. Don't like it? Stick to OHV!

I'm saying people won't be afraid to jump into the OHC stuff with their project cars once they realize it's not the devil because it's different than the traditional pushrod stuff...THAT is what takes time, too.

Humans inherently hate change, myself included. I'd love nothing more than Ford to come out with new generation of pushrod SBFs.
I would consider the 2j and the 4v to both be superior to the LSx in terms of what you can do on stock parts, both have been out longer than the LS, neither one is nearly as popular as a swap option. The ford guys seem to be too hung up on which is the better motor rather than what makes a motor popular for a swap.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
The 5.0 looks strong to NA.

Recipe for 550 rwhp:

Custom cams
CJ intake
SCJ TB
4.5 inch CAI
E85 Fuel

Recipe for 575 rwhp:

Custom cams
CJ intake
SCJ TB
4.5 inch CAI
FTW Fuel

Recipe for 600 rwhp:

Valve job (back cut), light port on heads (stage 1-2)
Custom cams
CJ intake
SCJ TB
4.5 inch CAI
FTW Fuel
Why does the 5.0 roadrunner guy here(evangto87 or something) with your 550 rwhp recipe only make 470 here? Lol where are these numbers from, 5.bro fairyland?
Old 05-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Evan doesn't have custom cams. IDK if he runs on race fuel, either.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:15 PM
***Repost Police***

Why does the 5.0 roadrunner guy here(evangto87 or something) with your 550 rwhp recipe only make 470 here? Lol where are these numbers from, 5.bro fairyland?
Reading isn't your strong suit, huh? Evan's motor has never been opened, and IIRC it is only one side of the heads that get slightly better cams on the Roadrunner vs. the Coyote. Custom cams and E85, Evan would be real close to 550rwhp.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

I think the exhaust cams are just massive in comparison to the GT's. Something like 2mm more lift. Whoa.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Pretty much. I'm sure they can get to that kind of power. But he must be forgetting the roadrunner has cnc'd heads from the factory and different cams to net 20 more hp. Not a huge increase.
Originally Posted by snake95
I think the exhaust cams are just massive in comparison to the GT's. Something like 2mm more lift. Whoa.
Ya think......well you can look at it like this. If you started with a .500 lift (roughly ls1 lift)cam.....then you would end up with a cam larger than a ls6 cam from those 2mm(.578) that you think nothing of.

Fyi for guys.....my 1.8 rockers lifted my valves a extra 3/4 of a mm.

Math is a bitch huh snake....lol
Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sw07gt
The 5.0 is a great motor, but it doesn't posses the qualities that made the LSx series so popular. I'm not grasping for straws, that's just the facts.
That's just the facts based on what information, criteria, reality?

I'm not even arguing... I just think it's only right to prove your point rather than simply repeat a statement.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:08 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Pretty much. I'm sure they can get to that kind of power. But he must be forgetting the roadrunner has cnc'd heads from the factory and different cams to net 20 more hp. Not a huge increase.

Ya think......well you can look at it like this. If you started with a .500 lift (roughly ls1 lift)cam.....then you would end up with a cam larger than a ls6 cam from those 2mm(.578) that you think nothing of.

Fyi for guys.....my 1.8 rockers lifted my valves a extra 3/4 of a mm.

Math is a bitch huh snake....lol
The extra lift is exhaust only though, so it's not an enormous difference. As you know, the heads don't make an enormous difference either. From what I've read, once you change intakes there's a 15-20hp difference between the Coyote and Roadrunner.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Evan's roadrunner has barely been tapped into yet.

He has definitely spent a good chunk of change on the "right" bolt-ons, though.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He doesn't have cams or run E85. You do realize cams make a HUGE difference on the 5.0/Roadrunner, right? With the right setup he can unlock another 50whp from cams alone.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Pretty much like your fairyland Stock Y pipe camaro

These cars can make big power NA if you have the cash just like any car. And these numbers are on the 5.0 not the boss motor.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Some of you should see what these 5.0s are doing without the hate.

I am seeing a lot of guys going with Coyote swaps in Sn95s,New Edges, hell even 94-95 Cobras. There are already Coyote stock classes in NMRA too. Lot of guys who have the coin(that is only drawback sans the truck motor) give serious thoughts to the Coyote. Its capable of living a long time behind boost unlike an LS1/6. The LS truck motors is comparable since guys who want to boost find it appealing though. Coyote swaps are def on the rise and taking a big bite out of Ford guys who were considering LS power plants
Old 05-06-2014, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think you guys realize cams in those engines will not make as large a difference as they do in ls engines. Go look for a cam much over .500 for a Coyote/rr. In a quick search it's hard to find them over. 500. Do they need major modifications to run over. 500~? I know comp has fazer limiters. Fact is 2mm is a large change where valve lift is considered. This is why I snicker at these guys talking about flow @.600. I have yet to see a cam for those engines to get them to .600.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:38 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Some of you should see what these 5.0s are doing without the hate....
Where's the fun in that?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Some of you should see what these 5.0s are doing without the hate.

I am seeing a lot of guys going with Coyote swaps in Sn95s,New Edges, hell even 94-95 Cobras. There are already Coyote stock classes in NMRA too. Lot of guys who have the coin(that is only drawback sans the truck motor) give serious thoughts to the Coyote. Its capable of living a long time behind boost unlike an LS1/6. The LS truck motors is comparable since guys who want to boost find it appealing though. Coyote swaps are def on the rise and taking a big bite out of Ford guys who were considering LS power plants
You used to hate on the coyotes to. As far as a ls1/6 living at the same power I say it's a non issue. Many have done it.

coyotes are good engines.

Quick Reply: I got drug, and I'm butt hurt. Real butt hurt. Feelings hurt bad.