Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Epic SRK B/S thread of 2019

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkMach1
Show us on the doll where the OPG touched you. It’s not a bolt on, it’s not a power mod. It’s like me saying a c6z06 is not a bolt on car because owner took OEM head off just to replace guides or whatever it is that fails on them. Still a bolt on car.
Pistons and rods etc keeping same compression does not effect performance. They do the same thing. Add to reliability. And they are both internal mods.

so drop in pistons lt1= bolt on?
The following users liked this post:
Mike Morris (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by islander033
Here. We. Go!
I’m just here for the tuna, man.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:54 AM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Pistons and rods etc keeping same compression does not effect performance. They do the same thing. Add to reliability. And they are both internal mods.

So, your are saying that the LT1 rods and pistons ARE NOT reliable? Oh boy....
Old 07-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

So, your are saying that the LT1 rods and pistons ARE NOT reliable? Oh boy....

Wonder if that’s addressed in the C8 or it’s going to be the same situation? Could be little difficult to swap the pistons in a C8 but maybe they have been corrected, I don’t remember seeing a mention yet, but I haven’t looked too hard either.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:01 AM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Wonder if that’s addressed in the C8 or it’s going to be the same situation? Could be little difficult to swap the pistons in a C8 but maybe they have been corrected, I don’t remember seeing a mention yet, but I haven’t looked too hard either.
The coyote opg get swapped out because some owners don't think they are reliable for their intended use. (2steps and limiters)

Wonder what TR is getting at with the LT1 rods and pistons here..... I'm not convinced they are unreliable.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

I already said OPGs not a bolt on. Neither is drop in pistons. Im not sure where this is going. Usually tunes with boosted LT1s have to be concervative in order to protect piston, either by extra enrichment or less timing, same with coyotes at around 800whp. Once drop in pistons and rods get added most people will send it. So although those don't add power, they allow it. OPGs doesn't allow for more aggressive tuning. Lund wont say, "oh **** Carlos, you added OPGs and CS? Hold up let me throw extra sauce at it!", but likely would if I said I have forged rods and pistons.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:01 PM

The coyote opg get swapped out because some owners don't think they are reliable for their intended use. (2steps and limiters)

Wonder what TR is getting at with the LT1 rods and pistons here..... I'm not convinced they are unreliable.
If I keep the Mustang (trying to not buy another C6Z get my wife upset) I’m not swapping them out. It’ll be Hellion Sleeper kit but no opg’s.

I was looking at LT N/A vs F/I research last night and I ran across Pony Wars video (hadn’t seen it before) and from stock to the $5k budget the 17SS out dynoed, et and trapped the 17GT - in the 1/4 mile. Pretty straight forward the LT is a beast.

Then they added the Prochargers and said the Mustang wanted a more rounded build where the Camaro was looking for all out power and therefore they pulled the LT and replaced the pistons then did suspension work to the Mustang.

Then the LT dynoed 20hp more, but here’s where I noticed something odd.

This isn’t to knock anyone or car at all just observation on the video.

The Mustang ran quicker et and trap with less power and now they weren’t testing 1/4 mile as 2 previous times, they were testing 1/8 mile?

I’ll post screen shot they have in vid. Wonder why it went from1/4 to 1/8? They both (autos) should pick up 30 mph on the back of the track. Odd to me.

Last edited by JayplaySS; 07-20-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:03 PM

Old 07-20-2019, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

I already said OPGs not a bolt on. Neither is drop in pistons. Im not sure where this is going. Usually tunes with boosted LT1s have to be concervative in order to protect piston, either by extra enrichment or less timing, same with coyotes at around 800whp. Once drop in pistons and rods get added most people will send it. So although those don't add power, they allow it. OPGs doesn't allow for more aggressive tuning. Lund wont say, "oh **** Carlos, you added OPGs and CS? Hold up let me throw extra sauce at it!", but likely would if I said I have forged rods and pistons.
The tunes aren't conservative to protect the piston. They're conservative to protect the rings.

Ive mentioned several times ways to address that.
Mike Morris (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

If I keep the Mustang (trying to not buy another C6Z get my wife upset) I’m not swapping them out. It’ll be Hellion Sleeper kit but no opg’s.

I was looking at LT N/A vs F/I research last night and I ran across Pony Wars video (hadn’t seen it before) and from stock to the $5k budget the 17SS out dynoed, et and trapped the 17GT - in the 1/4 mile. Pretty straight forward the LT is a beast.

Then they added the Prochargers and said the Mustang wanted a more rounded build where the Camaro was looking for all out power and therefore they pulled the LT and replaced the pistons then did suspension work to the Mustang. They don’t appear to have replaced OPGs from what I saw.

Then the LT dynoed 20hp more, but here’s where I noticed something odd.

This isn’t to knock anyone or car at all just observation on the video.

The Mustang ran quicker et and trap with less power and now they weren’t testing 1/4 mile as 2 previous times, they were testing 1/8 mile?

I’ll post screen shot they have in vid. Wonder why it went from1/4 to 1/8? They both (autos) should pick up 30 mph on the back of the track. Odd to me.
The lt dyno'd only 20 more hp.....tq is power. And it smashed the mustang in tq.

Now......using the power is another issue. All that tq is harder to control. Because tq is power.

They were having issues with the power of the camaro getting it to hook up.

Great series tho. I can't say i would choose some of the same mods but they did decent overall on how most mods those cars.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
The lt dyno'd only 20 more hp.....tq is power. And it smashed the mustang in tq.

Now......using the power is another issue. All that tq is harder to control. Because tq is power.

They were having issues with the power of the camaro getting it to hook up.

Great series tho. I can't say i would choose some of the same mods but they did decent overall on how most mods those cars.
Probably why SXC’s car runs so well. Has a laundry list of suspension/chassis mods & not nearly as many “power” mods.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
The tunes aren't conservative to protect the piston. They're conservative to protect the rings.

Ive mentioned several times ways to address that.

Honestly don't care if its protecting the tooth fairy. Just going by what ive heard their vendors and shops say. My comment is still valid, IF Poppa had OPGs its no difference than a z06 with a "fixed" head. Still a bolt on car.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Honestly don't care if its protecting the tooth fairy. Just going by what ive heard their vendors and shops say. My comment is still valid, IF Poppa had OPGs its no difference than a z06 with a "fixed" head. Still a bolt on car.
not even close to valid

you are comparing a stock replacement part to an improved non oem one.

and first you say opg isn't a bolt on...but then a car with opg is a bolt on car?

you've lost me
Mike Morris (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Depends on the octane. You see lots of sub par running boosted LT1's because they are running 93 on stock fuel system. Tuners have them running 10-11 degrees timing, so they don't end up running very well because that low of timing just ***** on the engines efficiency overall. Lets compare...8psi 93 octane on 11 degrees timing vs a bolt-on E85 car running 29-30 degrees timing. Gee I bet the blower car makes slightly more peak but probably not much difference in average power. Part of the reason why I spent the money on a fuel system so I can run E85. My timing is around 21 degrees which is only 3-4 less then a stock LT1 timing map on 93 pump.

My advice is to stay away from 93 and run a mix of E or if no E then use Meth with pump. LT1 needs the octane and cooling so you can keep the timing up...makes a world of difference on the outcome. Not sure why so many have trouble grasping this. The LT1 can not even hit MBT with 93 pump NA, which is why they gain so much power from just a flex fuel tune and E85. So trying to add boost with 93 on a engine that can't even reach peak timing NA doesn't make a lot of sense in my mind. All these Supercharger companies try to sell kits claiming you can, but that is only because if added in the fuel system upgrades to the cost of the supercharger to do things correctly, the OEM probably wouldn't sell nearly as many kits.

Far as the argument of OPG or crank gears, if it's not a part that came in the engine then it's not SBE....bolt-on or not. Same goes for anything GM needs to help it support more power. You guys need to just let these Stips die...for real. Do what you need to do to make the car handle the power more safely within your budget. It don't bother me if Nanner had OPG, big deal. His car ran good I give it props.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sxc has rockers?!
So non-bolt on car vs non bolt on car, Poppa absolutely ravaged that booty.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Teching In

not even close to valid

you are comparing a stock replacement part to an improved non oem one.

and first you say opg isn't a bolt on...but then a car with opg is a bolt on car?

you've lost me

Sounds like you're easily lost. Not a bolt on. For all arguments when it comes to adding power Poppa had a bolt on car. DB had or has a c6z06 that they basically went in to the heads to prevent it from failing during operation, they said nothing else was touched, I believe them, its still a bolt on Z06.

Once again, Poppa went faster with bolt ons than the other fella with the Auto LS1.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by snake95
Sxc has rockers?!
If thats the way they want to go....Poppa wins anyways LOL.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You’re correct - not a bolt on

I wasn’t aware he installed OPG, didn’t mention in the video when asked about mods. My error, no hypocrisy
Originally Posted by NoEngineNawledge
Doesn’t SXC have rockers? Which means he’s not bolt ons neither! So him and poppa are good comparison after all.

If he doesn’t have rawkers then disregard.
Here. We. Go!
Originally Posted by snake95
Sxc has rockers?!
My car has stock rockers. Valve covers never been off. Good try tho NoEngineKnowledge living up to the name. Didnt yall see my mods above or we ignoring that now too?

Any bolt on coyotards in here beet my ol bolt on ls1 yet?
Mike Morris (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

If thats the way they want to go....Poppa wins anyways LOL.
So yall all lost is what youre saying lol
Mike Morris (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

So if Poppa would have switched stock OPGs back on, then it would have been legit?

Quick Reply: Epic SRK B/S thread of 2019