Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!

I am a horridly indecisive person and the look of the 99+ GT lowered (not slammed) with Cobra R rims in black appeals to me. I keep seeing that the performance differences in reviews like this:

Overall, the 2000 Mustang GT is a lot of car for the money, as a fully loaded, 5-speed GT, with leather, stickers for only $23,900. The Mustang is comfortable, easy to drive, and with a kick *** stereo, gobs of power, and unmatched civility, it's a "10" on the fun scale. Although the Chevy and Pontiac give you 305 HP with their base V8, the acceleration diffeence is actually pretty small, especially in a rolling start. The GM cars are all around less refined, and it'll cost you a thousand more for the Camaro Z28, and a few thousand more in the Firebird Formula or Trans Am. So the Mustang is the value for the money winner in this comparison.

Someone please post up some LS1 kills (fair races) on 99+ GT's to keep me on track. LS1 FTW!!!

Another thing that has scared me a bit on the LS1 is how I annhialated a LS1 TA the other week from a 20mph roll in 2nd (he gunned it while 1.5-2 cars ahead and I still put 1 car on him by 60 (he was coming up fast, but WTF!? I dynoed 244whp )

Maybe this is the wrong place for this, but I did post a "kill" (we let off at 60 due to traffic, he woulda won later on, but still...LS1<244whp 5.0 ????!)
Old 10-15-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well about 5 months I was only catback and lid and my friend took home a 02 GT 5 speed for the weekend b/c he was going to buy it. We took them out and ran em. From a dig, I let him get the jump and then I spin horribly out of the hole, so he immediately had almost a car on me...by the end of 2nd gear I had 2 1/2 cars on him and pulling hard. I shifted into 3rd for about 2 seconds and then he let off, at least 3 cars back....
Conclusion: Get an LS1! I don't understand how it is even a decision.
and btw, my friend ended up getting a 2000 Z28
Old 10-15-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, are you going to hit up every forum on this board to address your insecurities about an LS1? I understand precaution.. but THIS post takes the cake.

GET OVER IT!
Old 10-15-2006, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

yeah those cars are gay-slow.... awesome looking.. but slow.

even the new ones are lacking.. they cant keep with LT1s stock for stock.... tisk tisk
Old 10-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

FYI ls1's dont have 305 hp...............get a clue.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude, a 99GT has like 50 less hp and tq to the wheels than a LS1, + the tranny is **** compared to a T56. Get the LS1 and be happy if its speed your after. If you just want the looks then get w/e you want.

edit: an ls1 has about 350 - 360 crank hp.

Last edited by ZeroFear; 10-16-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

where did you buy yours ill go there on the next one i buy??? ^^^^^^^^
Old 10-15-2006, 03:49 PM
uno
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
edit: an ls1 has about 350 - 360 whp.

no they dont lol
Old 10-15-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
dude, a 99GT has like 50 less hp and tq to the wheels than a LS1, + the tranny is **** compared to a T56. Get the LS1 and be happy if its speed your after. If you just want the looks then get w/e you want.

edit: an ls1 has about 350 - 360 whp.
an ls1 doesnt have no damn 350-360 WHEEL HP, its CRAN K HP. and even then msot are more in the 345 range, rarely higher
Old 10-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

Man, you guys need to calm down, I cut/pasted an excerpt from a auto-website review. I know LS1's dont have 305 fwhp, they have around 300whp. I am not a total tool. Well, look at it this way, I am about to spend easily over 10K cash. I think I have the right to be fraekishly paranoid.

As to the GT, I LOVE! the looks of them and was just wondering how much of a difference the LS1/Gt was ACTUALLY ON THE STREET. Not the dyno, not the strip, good ol' real-world experience.

Thankyou JPAT!!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

No problem...I have found that just answering what the original poster asks on these boards is a lot easier and more beneficial than acting like an *******...
Old 10-15-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

If you're going for looks (which are completely subjective), then it sounds like you've already made your choice with the GT. If you are looking at both vehicles from a performance standpoint, the f-body is probably the better platform to start with. The only real weak link is the stock 10-bolt. With the GT, you have a weak tranny, and a weaker powerplant.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Man, you guys need to calm down, I cut/pasted an excerpt from a auto-website review. I know LS1's dont have 305 fwhp, they have around 300whp. I am not a total tool. Well, look at it this way, I am about to spend easily over 10K cash. I think I have the right to be fraekishly paranoid.
I spent the same on my car, and I'm just as picky. However, I'm a bit compromising for a car that's 5 years old and well known to be less than perfect. But that's beside the point; you can spend $5k and still have the right to be paranoid. However, now you're being ridiculous. You're gonna invade the kills forum without posting/commenting on a kill, just to satisfy your doubts about an LS1?

Why don't you take a friend's LS1 out to the street and find you a stock/lightly modded +99 GT? The results won't surprise you, hence why asking your question is twice as lame. Hell, you could even post that as a kill.

Oh,
Overall, the 2000 Mustang GT is a lot of car for the money, as a fully loaded, 5-speed GT, with leather, stickers for only $23,900. The Mustang is comfortable, easy to drive, and with a kick *** stereo, gobs of power, and unmatched civility, it's a "10" on the fun scale. Although the Chevy and Pontiac give you 305 HP with their base V8, the acceleration diffeence is actually pretty small, especially in a rolling start. The GM cars are all around less refined, and it'll cost you a thousand more for the Camaro Z28, and a few thousand more in the Firebird Formula or Trans Am. So the Mustang is the value for the money winner in this comparison.
This has to be an old excerpt from a mag. Back when I was in the market for an LS1, I noticed that GTs costed a bit more than a same year non WS6/SS f-body (WA & ID). Kick *** stereo? WTF? The factory Monsoon will suit you fine until you toss it like everyone else who enjoys sound quality does. Unmatched civility? WTF are we discussing here, a Civic? And of course an acceleration difference will be diminished in a ROLL. That whole thing is a ricerish "why my car is better than yours" comparison. "Even though the f-body is faster, it's not THAT much faster, the stereo sucks, and it's just uh, as refined as the crust in my underwear." My point: outdated and irrelevant.

And by the way, YOU need to calm down. Nice 5.0 by the way, I hope you decide to keep it in the stable.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpat1023
No problem...I have found that just answering what the original poster asks on these boards is a lot easier and more beneficial than acting like an *******...
Nice, now go hunt his other 100 posts which are pretty much asking you "Why should I buy an LS1 instead of X?"
Old 10-15-2006, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

The only thing I like about mustangs is their looks. Performance, potential, handling, etc is way better in LS1 than a GT for the same money...
Old 10-15-2006, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Please, buy a GT. One more stang for me to kill on the street.

If you want a car that will hang with an LS1 on the street, stock vs stock, go for a Mach 1. With a Mach, it's usually a drivers race, and a Mach 1 looks better than a GT by a huge margin.

Pros - Mustang GT
1. People know they're slow, people are more likely to race.
2. They sound good.
Cons - Mustang GT
1. They're slow.
2. They're everywhere.
3. They're mostly driven by girls.

Pros - FBody
1. LS1 cars are extremely respectable in stock form.
2. It will take a Vette, or a Cobra to spank you stock for stock.
3. Responds very well bolt-on mods. Better with a cam.
4. Everyone knows it's fast.
5. All models look great, especially SS/WS6 varients.
Cons - FBody
1. Everyone knows it's fast - less races
2. The 10 Bolt rear end.
3. Raspy exhaust with certain setups.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Banned

Yes, we get it, im OCD, but I have made my contribution Fixed a guys sig, lol. Thanks for the reply's and I would LOVE!!! to drive (or even ride in) a stock M6 LS1. Are there any M6 stock LS1 owners in Shreveport, LA??? (most dealerships are loath to let a 20 year old test-drive an LS1 without money already on the table).

Yes the exceprt was old

The 5.0 dynoed 244/262 and I am unimpressed, it did however own an LT1 vette from 75-110mph the other day and I was pleased, lol. My father will be recieving the 5.0, so I guess you could say it is still going to be "in the stable" (until he sells it?).

I know the F-body AND 99GT are both far from AMG or ///M cars, I am just trying to get the least hassle vehicle with the most power. Sorry, but you damn well better be happy I didnt do a Poll on this topic lmao. I am sure UNIT will lock this one pretty soon, THANKS! for letting a few ppl give me their input first though man!

Again, any LS1 M6 owners in S'port,LA?
Old 10-15-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I apologize for my outbursts. I did sound like an *******. My bad bro, guess I was having a bad day. Happy hunting.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

New to the forum and was in your position about 4 months ago. Was originally looking at 03-04 cobras....but still out of my price range at this time. So I wanted something almost as fast, but at a good price. Found my 2000 camaro SS for sale in a town about 20 miles away, went to test drive it the next day, and bought it the day after that. I have always wondered if I made the right decision since I was also looking at mach 1's at the time cause they were a little cheaper than the cobra's. Well, I finally ran across white mach 1 the other night. the only thing my car has is an SLP lid and catback and i'm an A4. Don't know what the mach 1 had, maybe just exhaust. But we rolled off from a green light and punched it from about 10mph. I instantly jumped about a car length ahead and slowly pulled to about 2 car lengths near the top of 2nd gear......then it started pulling a little faster and had about 3 or more lengths on him. Then i shut it down and watched him roll by. Talked for a bit, both of us complimented each others cars, and we then went on our way.

Buy the damn LS1!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
I apologize for my outbursts. I did sound like an *******. My bad bro, guess I was having a bad day. Happy hunting.

It's all good. I am just a VERY thorough person and prone to OCD and paranoia. No offence taken

As to the Mach1 post by black00ss, THANKS!!! thats what im looking for, more inspiration to go LS1

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!